Jets pass on both Thomas, Becton to take WR Jeudy in Todd McShay's post-FA Mock Draft

3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He looks solids, however I'll pass big time as we need more smaller athletes on the edge. He looks to be more of a Mo Wilkerson prototype.

I may prefer Becton. Watched some film of him playing RT in 2018 and he was sharp.Then you add in the room for growth. 

Hes only 6-3, 278.

Mo was 6-4, 315

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Watkins had 52 catches and three TDs last year. Hill was a fifth rounder. Kelce was a third rounder. You can get high-end receivers in later rounds. Finding a blue chip OT later on is very hard

Or you can draft a Keyshawn Johnson or Calvin Johnson in round 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Watkins had 52 catches and three TDs last year. Hill was a fifth rounder. Kelce was a third rounder. You can get high-end receivers in later rounds. Finding a blue chip OT later on is very hard

Tyreek Hill without the off field concerns is worth a first round pick. 

I expect the Jets to go OT in the first round, though. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Joe D's top four tackles are different than the big four everyone constantly talks about here. I think guys like Jones, Cleveland, or Peart all fit the athletic mold he seemed to like in free agency. That's why I'd like to see a trade back a few spots, first. Grab an extra third rounder, more material to use to move up or down for the rest of the selection process. 

That said, the Jets are desperate for playmakers, too. If they go OT in the first, I'll be very disappointed if they don't go WR in the second. Love to find offensive weapons in the third and fifth rounds, too, but they can't rely on that happening. 

And also, the flip-side is that if JD is so well tuned in to OL talent, he's a guy who should be able to find the OT gems late more easily. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He looks solids, however I'll pass big time as we need more smaller athletes on the edge. He looks to be more of a Mo Wilkerson prototype.

I may prefer Becton. Watched some film of him playing RT in 2018 and he was sharp.Then you add in the room for growth. 

If Becton is there at 11 we have to take him

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He was drafted in the fifth round. IMO, Sam looks good when he’s not absolutely sh*tting his pants in those rare instances where his OL wasn’t completely overmatched, which is why I’m leaning toward a tackle at 11. If you draft Jeudy and get stuck playing Edoga at RT, it minimizes Jeudy’s presence to nothingness because Edoga sucks so hard. I think there will be quality receivers drafted in the third and fourth rounds, but I think the OTs you find there will be Edoga-quality

We all know hill’s draft position was influenced by his off the field actions.  And I doubt many here believe the jets can find comparable talent in the later rounds.

that all said, I’m up for the jets going OT in the first, if they’r able to trade back a few spots.  Let’s say all 3 top wrs are on the board at 11, along with 2 tackles, wills and Thomas.  I think douglas could maximize the draft capital by trading back to 14 or 15.  It looks like Denver and the raiders and 49ers may all take wrs.  The jets could still get one of these guys at 15, perhaps even Thomas, and get an extra day 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I'd love to have one of the top WRs but we really need to build the oline up with young studs.

Some people think that the drop off from top 4 or 5 OT to the 2nd tier is less severe than the drop off from rd 1 WRs to rd 2 Wrs.  If they are correct, and I believe that they are, going with Jeudy/Ruggs and OT at 48 would make sense.  

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As bad as the passing game was, the run game was even worse. Fix that part of the team and it’ll go a long way toward helping Sam

78.6 Rushing yards per game. Worst in the NFL only behind the Dolphins who were gutting their roster to tank. The Dolphins traded their number one RB in Kenyan Drake while the Jets had a healthy Bell for the entire season. In fact the 9ers average twice as many rushing yards per game then we did. It's not like we have some mega passing offense to have such a low average. Looking at the past Jets offenses, we have to take it back to 2005 as the last time the Jets fielded a rushing offense that failed to produce 100 yards per game. Eric Magini team managed 83 rushing yards per game. Meanwhile we would of thought this wasn't the case going with an offensive HC for the first time in a longtime.

The Jets really need help rushing the football. Jeudy and Ruggs will not fear well on a one dimensional offense. Bama for one had a great running game lead by Damien Harris, Najee Harris and Josh Jacob who all ran for over 5-6 yards per carry. Plus Perriman and Crowder is far from the evaluate of Smith and Jeudy when speaking of Ruggs or Ruggs and Smith when speaking of Jeudy. My point is that on the Jets, they won't have a luxury of talent to take the focus off them like they did in college added with a one dimensional offense.

• Sympathy 2

47 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He was drafted in the fifth round. IMO, 

Where would he have been drafted if he didnt plead guilty to domestic abuse by strangulation when he punched his pregnant girlfriend in the stomach and choked her?

I'm thinking it had a lot to do with where he was drafted

29 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He checked into the combine at 6’3 303

Same height and weight as Quinnen Williams last year.

The video, the one we are commenting on has his listed at 278 lbs. He may have put on weight but if were talking what he looks like off college tape he was 278 when he put down this tape.  

Agree things change

51 minutes ago, extmenace said:

I know everyone wants an OT at 11 but with fant, McGovern, van roten, and Lewis signed I just don’t see how WR isn’t the pick if the jets stay put at 11. It’s happening.

Because Fant, Van Roten and Lewis are pretty much back up quality players - one year plug-ins.

We need to take a Tackle to begin the overall OL rebuild.

If you give Sam time he’ll make the weapons we have work.  Get him a WR in the 2nd, Guard in the 3rd and a RB in the 4th.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, slats said:

And also, the flip-side is that if JD is so well tuned in to OL talent, he's a guy who should be able to find the OT gems late more easily. 

I think JD just got a bunch of that caliber of OL guy on the cheap in free agency, but they’re still missing the cornerstone piece, and we just saw what that piece costs with Conklin and with Trent Williams’ alleged demands. If the rush for OL takes place in the draft, you could be down to the sixth or seventh rated prospect at OT by the time our second rounder comes up. It’s a tough spot to put themselves in.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Since McShay knows douglas well, i read into this that either 1) McShay assumes the jets will be acquiring Trent williams or peters, or 2) the jets are higher on edoga than people realize.  

Or people just assume the jets have to pay homage to the DL in the first 2 rounds each year.

Neither 1 nor 2 really matters as far as drafting an OT in Rd. 1 or 2 if you ask me. If they acquire Trent Williams he is a risk b/c of his medicals, if they acquire Peters- he's ancient. If they are high on Edoga thats fine but he's struggled and is coming off injury. And look at the roster. 2 OTs on the roster, Fant and Edoga. Even if they add a vet, even if they add 2, they can still draft a young OT to groom or compete. 

McShay may be right. JD may not like Becton or Thomas and he may even be targeting an OT projected to go much further outside of the top 10 but if he passes on one in the first 2 rounds he will be getting a project with major question marks or low ceiling guys who may not be much more than JAGs at the NFL level.  

Personally I think JD needs to take an OT in Rd. 1 and even consider moving up for 'his guy' if that's what it takes. If he has a specific OT targeted who he believes will be there later in the first or in the 2nd I'm fine with that, go ahead and take a WR in Rd. 1, but make sure you get that OT, even if it means moving up from our selection in Rd. 2.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

We all know hill’s draft position was influenced by his off the field actions.  And I doubt many here believe the jets can find comparable talent in the later rounds.

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Where would he have been drafted if he didnt plead guilty to domestic abuse by strangulation when he punched his pregnant girlfriend in the stomach and choked her?

I'm thinking it had a lot to do with where he was drafted

I think this is deeply revisionist. Hill was a tiny receiver who played at West Alabama State or some sh*t. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think JD just got a bunch of that caliber of OL guy on the cheap in free agency, but they’re still missing the cornerstone piece, and we just saw what that piece costs with Conklin and with Trent Williams’ alleged demands. If the rush for OL takes place in the draft, you could be down to the sixth or seventh rated prospect at OT by the time our second rounder comes up. It’s a tough spot to put themselves in.

Unless the jets don’t see the rankings this way.  Could be guys like cleveland and peart are valued as mid 2nd rounders.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I can see it happening on this forum, the slow but building love affair with the shiny sports car wrs.

Hey I like Jeudy and Lamb well enough but if we pass on a prime OTs for a Wr that is pure stupid.  Especially with the depth at WR in this draft.

The Jets could probably get John Ross from the Bengals for a third right now. Drafting these “look at his 40!” guys is a road to despair

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think this is deeply revisionist. Hill was a tiny receiver who played at West Alabama State or some sh*t. 

Im not being a revisionist.  Im just making the case for why he was drafted in the 5th.  He was a much better football prospect than his draft spot, which was due to his off the field issues

Plus who cares where he was drafted, hes an elite WR in anyones eye.  Makes no difference where he was drafted.  Bradys wasn't an elite QB all these years because he was taken in the 6th?  

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Because Fant, Van Roten and Lewis are pretty much back up quality players - one year plug-ins.

We need to take a Tackle to begin the overall OL rebuild.

If you give Sam time he’ll make the weapons we have work.  Get him a WR in the 2nd, Guard in the 3rd and a RB in the 4th.  

There is so much wrong with this post. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Im not being a revisionist.  Im just making the case for why he was drafted in the 5th.  He was a much better football prospect than his draft spot, which was due to his off the field issues

Plus who cares where he was drafted, hes an elite WR in anyones eye.  Makes no difference where he was drafted.  Bradys wasn't an elite QB all these years because he was taken in the 6th?  

The point is that the Chiefs got their elite WR in the fifth round. 

15 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I can see it happening on this forum, the slow but building love affair with the shiny sports car wrs.

Hey I like Jeudy and Lamb well enough but if we pass on a prime OTs for a Wr that is pure stupid.  Especially with the depth at WR in this draft.

I think the vast majority of us would prefer one of the top OT’s, but I think it’s fair to question whether Douglas and his scouts have these guys all grouped together with a similar grade.

Douglas might want to pounce all over a guy like Wirfs or Wills if they fall to #11, but he might have a higher grade on one or even two of the top WR’s than he does on someone like Thomas or Becton.

Even though I really like a guy like Thomas and consider him the “safest” of the Top 4 OT’s, Douglas might look at him as a potential average starting left or right tackle and would rather pair Darnold with a true game breaker like Ruggs or a savvy all-around #1 option like Jeudy for the next decade and grab an OT in Round 2 like Wilson, Wanogho, Peart, etc.

I don’t think that’s a bad alternative at all. Especially if the Jets were to bring in another veteran OT like Jason Peters or Cordy Glenn before the draft.

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I think the vast majority of us would prefer one of the top OT’s, but I think it’s fair to question whether Douglas and his scouts have these guys all grouped together with a similar grade.

Douglas might want to pounce all over a guy like Wirfs or Wills if they fall to #11, but he might have a higher grade on one or even two of the top WR’s than he does on someone like Thomas or Becton.

Even though I really like a guy like Thomas and consider him the “safest” of the Top 4 OT’s, Douglas might look at him as a potential average starting left or right tackle and would rather pair Darnold with a true game breaker like Ruggs or a savvy all-around #1 option like Jeudy for the next decade and grab an OT in Round 2 like Wilson, Wanogho, Peart, etc.

I don’t think that’s a bad alternative at all. Especially if the Jets were to bring in another veteran OT like Jason Peters or Cordy Glenn before the draft.

Yeah the issue and risk you run is that we do not pick until 48 in the 2nd round.  We pass on a few high rated ots because we do not like the fit and then there is a run on ots end of 1st early 2nd and we are sitting there in trouble.

• Upvote 2

"How can the Jets, who would be entering the season with Jamison Crowder and Breshad Perriman as their top two wide receivers, pass on this type of playmaker?"

How dare McShay question Perriman? Must just be another SOJF h8r.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

If he's really that good then he'll be gone before 11 and hopefully that allows for a coveted OT to fall to us. 

Really? What a clueless remark to make. 

So you're saying that just because he falls to 11th and outside of the top 10 (because of QB and O-Line and defensive needy teams) that he won't be considered "really that good"?

Despite being considered as the headline and best WR within a potentially All-Time great WR class? Nice to know.

Jerry Rice. 

Chris Carter (4th round). 

Michael Irvin (11th overall). 

Andre Reed (4th round). 

Wesley Walker (2nd round, Jets). 

Randy Moss. 

Terrell Owens (3rd round). 

Marvin Harrison. 

Reggie Wayne. 

Chad Ocho Cinco Johnson (2nd round). 

Hines Ward (3rd round). 

Isaac Bruce (2nd round). 

Steve Smith (3rd round).

Anquan Boldin (2nd round).

Dez Bryant. 

Odell Beckham Jr. 

Antonio Brown (6th round).

DeAndre Hopkins.

Michael Thomas (2nd round). 

Tyreek Hill (5th round). 

Brandin Cooks.

Jarvis Landry (2nd round). 

D.K Metkalf (2nd round). 

Were ALL drafted outside of the "top 10" ala some of the greatest WR's of the 80's, 90's and 2000's; but yet you feel that if he's "that good" that he wouldn't make it out of the top 10? Thank you, because you just let all of JN know they you know absolutely nothingness about the history of the WR position...

And suddenly you realize how silly you sounded while making your (above) post...

Because I bet you, that you can not create a top 23 WR list (as i just did) with WR's who were drafted within the top 10 who put up better numbers and careers than the one's above... lol. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Me and Joe Douglas are still in our honeymoon period. I'm excited to see what he does in the draft. What I want him to do is take his BAP (assuming that player will be an OT or WR). If a WR goes before the Jets pick at #11, that will be a mild surprise. If four OTs are off the board before they pick, that won't be. At that stage, would one of the remaining OTs be a better selection than his choice of WRs? Does he have Josh Jones clumped with the alleged top four OTs, or does he have him closer to Ezra Cleveland? 

I'm down for the OT if that's the pick. It's certainly a huge need. The work he did in free agency left work to be done at OT. 

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets could probably get John Ross from the Bengals for a third right now. Drafting these “look at his 40!” guys is a road to despair

Ruggs is like a 98th percentile athlete with huge, reliable hands. He's not just a 40 time guy. If anything, his 4.27 has been called disappointing. Probably the sexiest pick they could make, and I'd be down for that, too, if that's what JD decides to do. 

Just now, slats said:

Me and Joe Douglas are still in our honeymoon period. I'm excited to see what he does in the draft. What I want him to do is take his BAP (assuming that player will be an OT or WR). If a WR goes before the Jets pick at #11, that will be a mild surprise. If four OTs are off the board before they pick, that won't be. At that stage, would one of the remaining OTs be a better selection than his choice of WRs? Does he have Josh Jones clumped with the alleged top four OTs, or does he have him closer to Ezra Cleveland? 

I'm down for the OT if that's the pick. It's certainly a huge need. The work he did in free agency left work to be done at OT. 

Ruggs is like a 98th percentile athlete with huge, reliable hands. He's not just a 40 time guy. If anything, his 4.27 has been called disappointing. Probably the sexiest pick they could make, and I'd be down for that, too, if that's what JD decides to do. 

All 4 OTs won’t be gone by 11.  In fact i think only 2 will. This is b/c most teams haven’t completely ignored the position over the past decade like the jets have.

i think one of the wrs will be gone top 10, someone will jump ahead of the jets or the jags will take one.  Jets will probably have a choice of a top wr and either wills or Thomas.  It will definitely be interesting to see if douglas would rather have, say, Jeudy and the 8th best OT or the 4th best OT and the 8th best wr.  One thing is certain, the jets could use a star somewhere.  If Jeudy or ruggs is that star, great.  I don’t think Thomas is a star, he’ll be a good tackle.  Some say getting a good tackle is better than a star wr.  Maybe, depending on how well you value players in later rounds.

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yeah the issue and risk you run is that we do not pick until 48 in the 2nd round.  We pass on a few high rated ots because we do not like the fit and then there is a run on ots end of 1st early 2nd and we are sitting there in trouble.

The Jets have a pair of 3rd rounders in their back pocket to alleviate that situation if need be.

And frankly, you could say the same for WR.

I’m all about building the OL in front of Darnold but it we’re sticking him out there with Crowder, Perriman and some 3rd round rookie as his top options out wide, then that’s less than ideal to say the least.

We really just need the OL to go from complete dogsh*t to simply “meh” this year. It doesn’t need to transform into a super unit over night.

Having just a league wide average OL with a potential foursome of Jeudy (#11), Pittman (#68), Crowder and Perriman at WR, a healthy Herndon and Griffin at TE with Bell in the backfield could catapult Darnold into stardom this year.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

All 4 OTs won’t be gone by 11.  In fact i think only 2 will. This is b/c most teams haven’t completely ignored the position over the past decade like the jets have.

i think one of the wrs will be gone top 10, someone will jump ahead of the jets or the jags will take one.  Jets will probably have a choice of a top wr and either wills or Thomas.  It will definitely be interesting to see if douglas would rather have, say, Jeudy and the 8th best OT or the 4th best OT and the 8th best wr.  One thing is certain, the jets could use a star somewhere.  If Jeudy or ruggs is that star, great.  I don’t think Thomas is a star, he’ll be a good tackle.  Some say getting a good tackle is better than a star wr.  Maybe, depending on how well you value players in later rounds.

I’ll be very surprised if less than three OTs are off the board before #11. Otherwise, we seem to be in agreement. It wouldn’t shock me if the first receiver off the board is Ruggs, and that Denver traded ahead of the Jets to take him. 

If JD doesn’t take a tackle at #11, I’d expect him to take two before the fourth round. 

Just now, slats said:

I’ll be very surprised if less than three OTs are off the board before #11. Otherwise, we seem to be in agreement. It wouldn’t shock me if the first receiver off the board is Ruggs, and that Denver traded ahead of the Jets to take him. 

If JD doesn’t take a tackle at #11, I’d expect him to take two before the fourth round. 

I think the raiders could also jump the jets for ruggs.  

I could see a scenario where a combo of 4 or 5 guys the jets are comfortable taking - among the top 4 OTs and 3 wrs - are there at 11.  The jets could trade back with Denver or TB and still get one of them and get an extra 3rd rounder plus.  So say the jets trade back to 14.  TB goes OT, raiders/49ers go wr and jets could get lamb or Thomas, for example.  

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

I think the raiders could also jump the jets for ruggs.  

I could see a scenario where a combo of 4 or 5 guys the jets are comfortable taking - among the top 4 OTs and 3 wrs - are there at 11.  The jets could trade back with Denver or TB and still get one of them and get an extra 3rd rounder plus.  So say the jets trade back to 14.  TB goes OT, raiders/49ers go wr and jets could get lamb or Thomas, for example.  

This is exactly what I’d like to see. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I guess. But all we’ve heard about Douglas is that he’s obsessive about OL. The fact that McShay and Jeremiah (who’s also friendly with Douglas) refuse to mock an OT to the Jets makes me think, hopefully, that Douglas is going OT at 11.

Agreed but it’s not like I can be upset if Jeudy is there at 11 and they take him. However I’m hoping they land the stud LT at 11 In perfect scenario.

• Upvote 2