Jets pass on both Thomas, Becton to take WR Jeudy in Todd McShay's post-FA Mock Draft

It's from ESPN+ so I won't copy/paste the whole thing but here are the notable parts...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/insider/story/_/id/28970129/2020-nfl-mock-draft-todd-mcshay-post-free-agency-prediction-rounds-1-2

As of now, the show will go on. The 2020 NFL draft is just a few weeks away.

It certainly has been a different kind of pre-draft process this year, with many pro days and private team visits canceled. But we still have plenty of college tape, combine workouts, early interviews and some pro days to evaluate, as well as a nearly complete NFL free agency to help clarify remaining team needs. Each team's personal rankings and preferences aren't quite finalized yet, and we will see more movement on the board leading into April 23-25, but we are getting closer and closer.

But now it's time for another mock draft. And with everyone practicing social distancing at the moment, let's go ahead and take this one two rounds deep for all of you. And be sure to check out my SportsCenter Special detailing the selections on Tuesday at 3 p.m. ET (ESPN) or 6 p.m. ET (ESPN2). Here are my predictions for all 64 first- and second-round picks of the 2020 draft.

2030430724_ScreenShot2020-03-30at11_00_38PM.png.b105ad31d1da14cf264a07a5ebf7817d.png

786295685_ScreenShot2020-03-30at11_01_25PM.png.75d472aa080186322b77ac42b05e2f6b.png

In Round 2 he has the Jets taking DE Marlon Davidson of Auburn.  At that point the "big four" OTs are gone as are Austin Jackson and Josh Jones.  The Jets pass on OTs Lucas Niang, Prince Wanogho, Isaiah Wilson at #48 in McShay's mock.  The also leave CB Jaylon Johnson and Edge rusher Josh Uche on the board.

• Haha 1

Burrow, Tagovailoa, Love, and Herbert are the top four in that order.

McShay called Davidson an edge in his rationale, which...he is not. So either he’s just thinking Douglas goes BPA and messed up the explanation or right position idea but the guy doesn’t play the position.

Lots of Joey D ties in the draft media this year.

10 minutes ago, derp said:

Burrow, Tagovailoa, Love, and Herbert are the top four in that order.

McShay called Davidson an edge in his rationale, which...he is not. So either he’s just thinking Douglas goes BPA and messed up the explanation or right position idea but the guy doesn’t play the position.

Lots of Joey D ties in the draft media this year.

More likely that Jeremiah has been pumping up Davidson for a few weeks and McShay wanted to shoehorn him into the second round somewhere and figured, hey, the Jets like defensive linemen.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

More likely that Jeremiah has been pumping up Davidson for a few weeks and McShay wanted to shoehorn him into the second round somewhere and figured, hey, the Jets like defensive linemen.

Oh I wasn’t speculating what the reason was. Just saying when someone writes (and I’m paraphrasing) “No offensive tackle or cornerback worth taking for the Jets, so here’s an edge” and that edge is a defensive tackle...they messed up somewhere.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Since McShay knows douglas well, i read into this that either 1) McShay assumes the jets will be acquiring Trent williams or peters, or 2) the jets are higher on edoga than people realize.  

Or people just assume the jets have to pay homage to the DL in the first 2 rounds each year.

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Since McShay knows douglas well, i read into this that either 1) McShay assumes the jets will be acquiring Trent williams or peters, or 2) the jets are higher on edoga than people realize.  

Or people just assume the jets have to pay homage to the DL in the first 2 rounds each year.

I can’t see any way that Douglas would tip off Todd McShay to the actual draft strategy and/or that McShay would actually take that to air, though. That’d be next-level ****ery

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I can’t see any way that Douglas would tip off Todd McShay to the actual draft strategy and/or that McShay would actually take that to air, though. That’d be next-level ****ery

Not tipping him off, but McShay may have insights into how he thinks.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He looks solids, however I'll pass big time as we need more smaller athletes on the edge. He looks to be more of a Mo Wilkerson prototype.

I may prefer Becton. Watched some film of him playing RT in 2018 and he was sharp.Then you add in the room for growth. 

Fat Albert is Sans by Ardhamon on DeviantArt

QW has no more room for growth.......fat a$$.

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Not tipping him off, but McShay may have insights into how he thinks.  

I guess. But all we’ve heard about Douglas is that he’s obsessive about OL. The fact that McShay and Jeremiah (who’s also friendly with Douglas) refuse to mock an OT to the Jets makes me think, hopefully, that Douglas is going OT at 11.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

And rightfully so - not only is Jerry Jeudy the greatest route runner coming out - but he also shows up for and then performs during big time games. 

During 3 bowl games vs. Oklahoma, Clemson and Michigan he's combined for 15 receptions for 416 receiving yards and 3 TD receptions (along with a 2020 Citrus Bowl Game M.V.P award);

That's an average of 5.0 receptions, 138.6 receiving yards and 1 TD reception per game (throughout 3 bowl game performances). 

Jerry Jeudy is primetime and ready made for big games. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

If we take a DL anywhere in this draft, I’m gonna puke. Every year the Jets find the next warren sapp. Every year the fans eventually realize very few DL make a significant difference.

I would take any on the guys you listed that McShay passed on in round 2. In fact, I’m a big proponent of taking back to back OL in round 2/3 if we take a receiver at 11.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I guess. But all we’ve heard about Douglas is that he’s obsessive about OL. The fact that McShay and Jeremiah (who’s also friendly with Douglas) refuse to mock an OT to the Jets makes me think, hopefully, that Douglas is going OT at 11.

Maybe they’re doing him a solid, sure.  At this point i don’t see it.  The league is about creating mismatches with playmakers and the chiefs model showed that (granted with an elite qb).  Keep adding playmakers and get a qb who can throw and improvise.  Darnold can be this guy.  But I’m not sure how taking Andrew Thomas, who may not be much better than the OTs taken in the latter third of the first round, is better than adding an elite wr and then (presumably) adding quality tackles after the first round.  Every year we watch red zone, the jets have no playmakers.  Every f-ing year.  When does this change?   

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Maybe they’re doing him a solid, sure.  At this point i don’t see it.  The league is about creating mismatches with playmakers and the chiefs model showed that (granted with an elite qb).  Keep adding playmakers and get a qb who can throw and improvise.  Darnold can be this guy.  But I’m not sure how taking Andrew Thomas, who may not be much better than the OTs taken in the latter third of the first round, is better than adding an elite wr and then (presumably) adding quality tackles after the first round.  Every year we watch red zone, the jets have no playmakers.  Every f-ing year.  When does this change?   

Who’s the elite WR on the Chiefs?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

It would tough to pass on Becton and Thomas there and I love Jeudy. 

I feel it's time to improve in both the run and pass game. Bell is one of the best RBs in the league. McGovern and Van Roten would be a good jump start. Add in Wills or Becton and there's hope for an reliable balance offense.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Within the division I'm not scared of an inaccurate Josh Allen whatsoever and therefore I really do hope that the Miami Dolphins become and get screwed on draft day out of Tua and by a Franchise QB needy team who trades up into the top 5 and moves ahead of Miami (tanking for Tua for absolutely nothing). 

As far as the Jets...

1st round: Jerry Jeudy/CeeDee Lamb.

2nd round: O-Lineman.

3rd round a: O-Lineman.

3rd round b: O-Lineman. 

While with our 4 remaining picks (4th, 5th, 6th and 6th) looking for sleeper/underrated (no specific order) Outside Edge Pass Rusher, CB, WR & RB. 

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Most would say tyreke hill

He was drafted in the fifth round. IMO, Sam looks good when he’s not absolutely sh*tting his pants in those rare instances where his OL wasn’t completely overmatched, which is why I’m leaning toward a tackle at 11. If you draft Jeudy and get stuck playing Edoga at RT, it minimizes Jeudy’s presence to nothingness because Edoga sucks so hard. I think there will be quality receivers drafted in the third and fourth rounds, but I think the OTs you find there will be Edoga-quality

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

47 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

And rightfully so - not only is Jerry Jeudy the greatest route runner coming out - but he also shows up for and then performs during big time games. 

During 3 bowl games vs. Oklahoma, Clemson and Michigan he's combined for 15 receptions for 416 receiving yards and 3 TD receptions (along with a 2020 Citrus Bowl Game M.V.P award);

That's an average of 5.0 receptions, 138.6 receiving yards and 1 TD reception per game (throughout 3 bowl game performances). 

Jerry Jeudy is primetime and ready made for big games. 

If he's really that good then he'll be gone before 11 and hopefully that allows for a coveted OT to fall to us. 

• Upvote 4