I have advice for Joe Douglas. Joe, please read this!

Alka

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.

First, I am much more comfortable with Fant at LT than Edoga at RT.

Second, I think that drafting a tackle isn't necessarily an indictment of Fant.  It will have to do with the level of prospect.  It will be interesting.  The draft is loaded  with talent at the positions the Jets need (except Edge) but I don't think there is that pure perfect prospect that you trade up for.  They all scare me a little bit, but I'd be excited to have them too.  It iwll be interesting to see what he does.

I don't really get excited much, but I'm not going to edit.

You’d think Douglas’ perfect world plan is to run Fant out there at OLT and stick Wirfs on the right side. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Alka said:

Joe, let me begin by giving you an analogy.

You get bit by a rattlesnake in the desert.  20 yards to the left is the antidote for the snake bite, and will save your life.  20 yards to the right is $100,000.00.  

You can only go one way or the other.  What do you do?

The same is true when building a football team.  You know what you need, and you know what makes sense.  You can reach for the shiny foil, or you can do the things you need to do to build your team in the proper way and ignore the things that will jump in front of you and push you off of your path to the finish line.

It all starts with the first round of the draft.  You don't have a left tackle.  You need to protect Sam Darnold, so that he can grow and be effective running the offense.  Your star running back that the Jets spent big money on, really needs a solid offensive line so that he can be successful running the ball.  Your tight ends and your wide receivers need time to get open, and you need to try to keep the defense off the field so that they can be more successful.

What you don't need is a wide receiver in the first round, who will knock you off of your path to getting the offensive line where you told us it needs to be, help Darnold grow and protect him, get our running back going, and help that defense to stay off of the field.

Get that tackle in the first round, and maybe, just maybe, we can for the first time since Dbrickashaw Furguson and Nick Mangold have an offensive line that can be respected.  Then, once that offensive line is in place, you can concentrate on getting that top notch wide receiver who will appreciate having a offensive line that will give him time to get open.

OMFG, are people really this bored?

• Haha 1

imo they should draft an olineman in the first round if only to address the position but at the same time none of the top guys are rated so high (nfl draft tracker) that they will be the second coming of munoz.  of course munoz didn't win a superbowl either.  so moving down or even drafting a different position isn't that farfetched.

39 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

And then there's me. I get excited over everything it seems. ;-) 

I'm more "excited" for this draft than even last year, when I thought Macc was free of Bowles and would give me the draft I wanted. hahaha 

The problem with last year, other than Macc, was that the draft was largely a stronger Defensive class. At least at the top. 

This year is stocked in exactly what the Jets need and I'm hoping JD actually takes advantage of that for once. I would hate to see a draft like that turd Kristian Dyer just crapped out with a DT, TE and LB.  

I am curious to see what happens with Fant too. I want to believe that we have the OL whisperer for a GM and that he can Evaluate to such a degree that he can identify gems where others can't.  So giving Fant the opportunity is key. If he does end up being a good T for us that would be a serious find. I agree that picking a T early is not necessarily a knock on Fant, but I think he's here to play RT mainly. I just think JD wants the world to think he has his LT and will go WR in the first. That could get the Raiders, Broncos, Eagles and some others to want to trade up to grab the one guy they covet. 

This draft would be perfect if we Come out of it with a LT, WR, WR, IOL, CB, WR, T, K for me.  In that order but with a shuffling acceptable.  I have a couple late RD T's I love. Alex Taylor, Charlie Heck, Frantz are going to be projects but really good players.

I like some of the later rd CB's and WR's to surprise. 

Stop asking them to draft a kicker.  You don't draft a kicker.  If you do, you are stuck with them because nobody is cutting a kicker that they drafted.  I can guarantee you that, whatever kicker that they draft, there are guys available on the street that will have as good a season.

I think Fant is an LT all the way.  The distinction is becoming less important, but that is what it is. The draft pick is going to play RT IMO.  That will particularly be true if they end up with Wirfs or Wills who played the right side in college.  

I like Heck too, I took him in our mock. Taylor has the athleticism, but he is a project. You aren't likely to start him in 2020, that's a pretty big jump in competition.  I like Runyan too, though he may kick inside, he is long and athletic enough.  I think he may end up being a bargain.  I haven't read anything about Frantz.  I will have to look him up.

17 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I am reminded of 2006.   We had pick 4, al the young JETS fans , Leinert, Cutler were available, the draft was packed with talent.  The Jets take Brick. The silence, for about 2 seconds was deafening.  Then an explosion of cheers.   Even the dumbest of Jets fans recognized we needed to protect Penninton.   

Taking a STUD Oline man is a smart move.  That's why mac and Idzik never did it.

Oh bullsh*t.  Who are these STUD Oline that Mac and Idzik passed on?  Jonah Williams?  Should he have passed on Darnold for Nelson or McGlinchey? Were you screaming for Garrett Bolles or Ramcyzk over Adams?  Pretty sure Phil was yelling for Cam Robinson, but at 6 in 2017 is that what you wanted?  There were rumors he tried to move up for Tunsil, but couldn't/wouldn't pay the price.  Would Germain Ifedi over Darron Lee have moved the needle?  Scherff was already gone when Leonard Williams was selected.  Ereck Flowers was next off the board.  I guess you could have gone Andrus Peat, but nobody had him rated that highly.

Idzik could have taken Ju'wan James or Bitonio over Calvin Pryor, but neither of those guys are/were STUDs.  He missed out on Chance Warmack, DJ Fluker and Justin Pugh in 2013.  Ha. 

The issue isn't that they passed on STUD Oline (your term, not mine).  It is that the mid-tier guys the went for were not particularly good.  Idzik wasn't even that bad at it.   This will be the 6th draft since he left and two of the guys he selected are still getting run in the league and the kid of Xaverian hung around a bit too.  

59 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I am reminded of 2006.   We had pick 4, al the young JETS fans , Leinert, Cutler were available, the draft was packed with talent.  The Jets take Brick. The silence, for about 2 seconds was deafening.  Then an explosion of cheers.   Even the dumbest of Jets fans recognized we needed to protect Penninton.   

Taking a STUD Oline man is a smart move.  That's why mac and Idzik never did it.

I remember being so annoyed with that pick because Brick was a relatively skinny guy and he was so soft spoken. I wanted Leinart (I know, I know) because I thought Pennington was toast.

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Stop asking them to draft a kicker.  You don't draft a kicker.  If you do, you are stuck with them because nobody is cutting a kicker that they drafted.  I can guarantee you that, whatever kicker that they draft, there are guys available on the street that will have as good a season.

I think Fant is an LT all the way.  The distinction is becoming less important, but that is what it is. The draft pick is going to play RT IMO.  That will particularly be true if they end up with Wirfs or Wills who played the right side in college.  

I like Heck too, I took him in our mock. Taylor has the athleticism, but he is a project. You aren't likely to start him in 2020, that's a pretty big jump in competition.  I like Runyan too, though he may kick inside, he is long and athletic enough.  I think he may end up being a bargain.  I haven't read anything about Frantz.  I will have to look him up.

Oh bullsh*t.  Who are these STUD Oline that Mac and Idzik passed on?  Jonah Williams?  Should he have passed on Darnold for Nelson or McGlinchey? Were you screaming for Garrett Bolles or Ramcyzk over Adams?  Pretty sure Phil was yelling for Cam Robinson, but at 6 in 2017 is that what you wanted?  There were rumors he tried to move up for Tunsil, but couldn't/wouldn't pay the price.  Would Germain Ifedi over Darron Lee have moved the needle?  Scherff was already gone when Leonard Williams was selected.  Ereck Flowers was next off the board.  I guess you could have gone Andrus Peat, but nobody had him rated that highly.

Idzik could have taken Ju'wan James or Bitonio over Calvin Pryor, but neither of those guys are/were STUDs.  He missed out on Chance Warmack, DJ Fluker and Justin Pugh in 2013.  Ha. 

The issue isn't that they passed on STUD Oline (your term, not mine).  It is that the mid-tier guys the went for were not particularly good.  Idzik wasn't even that bad at it.   This will be the 6th draft since he left and two of the guys he selected are still getting run in the league and the kid of Xaverian hung around a bit too.  

Relax ... I was simply saying that MAC and Idzik didn't value Oline, wasn't being specific to studs in 1st round. I am sure I could go back and find a handful of solid Oliners that would have been much better picks in the first and second round than many of Mac and Idziks picks. But that ship has sailed.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I remember being so annoyed with that pick because Brick wasn’t a relatively skinny guy and he was so soft spoken. I wanted Leinart (I know, I know) because I thought Pennington was toast.

I wanted Vernon Davis. 

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Relax ... I was simply saying that MAC and Idzik didn't value Oline, wasn't being specific to studs in 1st round. I am sure I could go back and find a handful of solid Oliners that would have been much better picks in the first and second round than many of Mac and Idziks picks. But that ship has sailed.

I am relaxed to the point of almost being comatose.  That's just the way I write because I deal with idiots all day.  

I think Idzik did value Oline.  He drafted 4 in two drafts.  Winters, Aboushi, the converted DT from Michigan and Dozier.  I think he wanted to draft mid-level guys and thought he could find value.  I give him an A for plan and a C for execution.  Mac's plan was indecipherable.  Seemed like he just tried to put asses in the seats and he only drafted 2 dudes total.  I don't have a problem with the picks, but the fact that he traded up for two questionable players makes you wonder why he didn't just burn some earlier picks.  Especially when you consider that he drafted Hackenberg and Polite before Shell and Edoga.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I'd just grab the antidote and run 40 yards to the 100k directly afterwards

Right. Doesn’t this intro make you feel like you’re at a corporate thinking outside the box retreat? 

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Leinart looked like be was going to be a godking, though!

I loved Cutler in 2006, Leinart not so much. His arm was weaker than Penningtons. At the end of the day we took the right guy in D'Brick. 

14 hours ago, Alka said:

You get bit by a rattlesnake in the desert.  20 yards to the left is the antidote for the snake bite, and will save your life.  20 yards to the right is $100,000.00.  

The same is true when building a football team.  You know what you need, and you know what makes sense.  You can reach for the shiny foil, or you can do the things you need to do to build your team in the proper way and ignore the things that will jump in front of you and push you off of your path to the finish line.

It all starts with the first round of the draft.  You don't have a left tackle.  You need to protect Sam Darnold, so that he can grow and be effective running the offense.  Your star running back that the Jets spent big money on, really needs a solid offensive line so that he can be successful running the ball.  Your tight ends and your wide receivers need time to get open, and you need to try to keep the defense off the field so that they can be more successful.

What you don't need is a wide receiver in the first round, who will knock you off of your path to getting the offensive line where you told us it needs to be, help Darnold grow and protect him, get our running back going, and help that defense to stay off of the field.

Get that tackle in the first round, and maybe, just maybe, we can for the first time since Dbrickashaw Furguson and Nick Mangold have an offensive line that can be respected.  Then, once that offensive line is in place, you can concentrate on getting that top notch wide receiver who will appreciate having a offensive line that will give him time to get open.

I'll consider it, thank you for the advice.  Your $100 tip will be given to you shortly.

16 hours ago, Alka said:

To the left is the down thumb, to the right is the up button.  JD cant make this decision until he sees the board unfold.  

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Stop asking them to draft a kicker

haha  First of all I'll ask anyone to do anything I like. So there's that. Secondly no one gives on $hit what I say anyway so there's that too. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

additionally I'll add I am a HUGE believer in drafting a K with the final pick in a draft. More times than not it's gonna be some dude who never makes the roster in that spot anyway. Why would you want to fight with other teams in need of a young kicker when you can just take him with the last pick?  Especially when we're the Jets. People grossly undervalue kicker. Take a look at the Ravens. They have basically had three kickers in the past 25 years. Stover, Cundiff and Tucker. That's the way to do it. Find a guy, Do what you need to to secure him and keep him even when he has a rough patch. They always come back around. 

granted Tucker was an UDFA, but again... the Jets. 

So take your kicker hate somewhere else buddy. This is kickerville over here.  Don't get me started on my punter fetish!  Prokop's legs alone.... oh momma! 

SIGN Lachlan Edwards!!!

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I remember being so annoyed with that pick because Brick was a relatively skinny guy and he was so soft spoken. I wanted Leinart (I know, I know) because I thought Pennington was toast.

You really like cali QBs who have photos of them in hot tubs during college 

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to take this time to Joe Douglas for listening to me and getting the left tackle that we needed in round #1.  Next, I want to thank Joe Douglas for getting the wide receiver I asked for and that we needed in round #2.

In the future, please feel free to call me for advice.  If you continue to listen to me, we just may get to the playoffs in the near future.

You didn't get fooled by the shiny foil, the way so many Jets fans have, and you did not do the dumb thing and draft a wide receiver in round 1.  

Joe, you are a smart man, and I want to thank you once again.

Regards,

Alka

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Alka said:

I would like to take this time to Joe Douglas for listening to me and getting the left tackle that we needed in round #1.  Next, I want to thank Joe Douglas for getting the wide receiver I asked for and that we needed in round #2.

In the future, please feel free to call me for advice.  If you continue to listen to me, we just may get to the playoffs in the near future.

You didn't get fooled by the shiny foil, the way so many Jets fans have, and you did not do the dumb thing and draft a wide receiver in round 1.  

Joe, you are a smart man, and I want to thank you once again.

Regards,

Alka

Did you also tell Douglas to trade down in the second round while there was a run on WR's

egotistical congratulations GIF

• 7 months later...

First of all, I want to thank Joe Douglas for reading my thread last year and drafting the left tackle we needed in the first round, and then getting the wide receiver we needed in the second round.

Now, I have more advice for you Joe, and I need you to please pay attention!!

If we don't get the 1st pick in the draft, I implore you to draft Sewell with the 2nd pick, and continue to solidify the offensive line.  I know that your other acquisitions on the offensive line did not work out the way we would have liked, but Sewell is a future "HOF" offensive lineman, and you don't pass over on these.  Now that you messed up on the other part of the line, you get Sewell, and then fortify the line with another pick up of Thuney in free agency.  

Not only will you be able to succeed with Darnold, you will be able to succeed with any pro QB when you can protect him like you will with a competent offensive line.

With the second 1st round pick in round one, I need you to get another wide receiver.

Thank you again for paying attention to me.  It will work out for our Jets, I promise!

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2