I have advice for Joe Douglas. Joe, please read this!

Alka

Joe, let me begin by giving you an analogy.

You get bit by a rattlesnake in the desert.  20 yards to the left is the antidote for the snake bite, and will save your life.  20 yards to the right is $100,000.00.  

You can only go one way or the other.  What do you do?

The same is true when building a football team.  You know what you need, and you know what makes sense.  You can reach for the shiny foil, or you can do the things you need to do to build your team in the proper way and ignore the things that will jump in front of you and push you off of your path to the finish line.

It all starts with the first round of the draft.  You don't have a left tackle.  You need to protect Sam Darnold, so that he can grow and be effective running the offense.  Your star running back that the Jets spent big money on, really needs a solid offensive line so that he can be successful running the ball.  Your tight ends and your wide receivers need time to get open, and you need to try to keep the defense off the field so that they can be more successful.

What you don't need is a wide receiver in the first round, who will knock you off of your path to getting the offensive line where you told us it needs to be, help Darnold grow and protect him, get our running back going, and help that defense to stay off of the field.

Get that tackle in the first round, and maybe, just maybe, we can for the first time since Dbrickashaw Furguson and Nick Mangold have an offensive line that can be respected.  Then, once that offensive line is in place, you can concentrate on getting that top notch wide receiver who will appreciate having a offensive line that will give him time to get open.

• Upvote 8
  • Thumb Down 7
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 3

10 minutes ago, Alka said:

You get bit by a rattlesnake in the desert.  20 yards to the left is the antidote for the snake bite, and will save your life.  20 yards to the right is $100,000.00.  

The same is true when building a football team.  You know what you need, and you know what makes sense.  You can reach for the shiny foil, or you can do the things you need to do to build your team in the proper way and ignore the things that will jump in front of you and push you off of your path to the finish line.

It all starts with the first round of the draft.  You don't have a left tackle.  You need to protect Sam Darnold, so that he can grow and be effective running the offense.  Your star running back that the Jets spent big money on, really needs a solid offensive line so that he can be successful running the ball.  Your tight ends and your wide receivers need time to get open, and you need to try to keep the defense off the field so that they can be more successful.

What you don't need is a wide receiver in the first round, who will knock you off of your path to getting the offensive line where you told us it needs to be, help Darnold grow and protect him, get our running back going, and help that defense to stay off of the field.

Get that tackle in the first round, and maybe, just maybe, we can for the first time since Dbrickashaw Furguson and Nick Mangold have an offensive line that can be respected.  Then, once that offensive line is in place, you can concentrate on getting that top notch wide receiver who will appreciate having a offensive line that will give him time to get open.

Which tackles DON'T you like in that spot?

2 minutes ago, Dupe said:

For god’s sake man, JD knows something about offensive linemen.  He’ll make a good choice.  

Exactly.  Some Fans don’t realize that JD comes from an OL background.  He knows what he is doing when it comes to that

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Which tackles DON'T you like in that spot?

Edoga at times did not look good at right tackle and was benched.  Our new tackle, Fant, is on a one year tryout, who has not proven that he can do the job at left tackle.  We could use Beachum at left tackle, but the Jets have chosen not to resign him at this point.  Shell, our right tackle from last year, went and signed somewhere else.

Instead of asking me which tackles I don't like in that spot, tell me which tackles you do like in that spot.

Edited by Alka
I forgot a word that changed the thought of what I meant to say

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

Edoga at times did not look good at right tackle and was benched.  Our new tackle, Fant, is on a one year tryout, who has not proven that he can do the job at left tackle.  We could use Beachum at left tackle, but the Jets have chosen not to resign him at this point.  Shell, our right tackle from last year, went and signed somewhere else.

Instead of asking me which tackles I don't like in that spot, tell me which tackles you do like in that spot.

It's your argument that we need to take a tackle, seemingly no matter what. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

It's your argument that we need to take a tackle, seemingly no matter what. 

According to the experts, there are 5 or 6 offensive tackles that are first round material.   One of those players will be available at #11.

I am not willing to settle on a player in the second round that is not first round material.  Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but I believe we need to give ourselves the best chance of getting a guy that can be plugged into left tackle on day 1.   Getting Keyshawn Johnson at #1 in the first round never got the Jets closer to the Super Bowl, and getting a wide receiver at #11 will not help the jets this year and in the future if we don't have a left offensive tackle that can do the job.  

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Alka said:

According to the experts, there are 5 or 6 offensive tackles that are first round material.   One of those players will be available at #11.

I am not willing to settle on a player in the second round that is not first round material.  Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but I believe we need to give ourselves the best chance of getting a guy that can be plugged into left tackle on day 1.   Getting Keyshawn Johnson at #1 in the first round never got the Jets closer to the Super Bowl, and getting a wide receiver at #11 will not help the jets this year and in the future if we don't have a left offensive tackle that can do the job.  

Keyshawn didn't get us closer to the SB....

I could say the same thing about dbrick and Mangold, and basically any player ever drafted by the jets because they haven't been to a Superbowl in 50 years

• Sympathy 2

Just now, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

I could say the same thing about dbrick and Mangold, and basically any player ever drafted by the jets because they haven't been to a Superbowl in 50 years

If my memory serves me correctly, Mangold was picked #30 of the first round of the draft.  Any player drafted #1 of the first round should be a player that changes the dynamic of a team in a big way.  Keyshawn Johnson was shiny foil, and if you're going to pick a player that high, it should be a game changer.  Picking a wide receiver #11 when we need an offensive tackle is paying attention to the shiny foil.

JD strips naked and gets a suntan

then he pee’s up into the air and it comes down on his snake-bite and neutralizes the venom.

Then he just continues working on his tan until a gust of wind comes and blows all the money right to him.

JD gets both cured & rich without even needing to go 20 yards.

—-

Then he drafts an OT

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Dear Alka,

I was leaning Ruggs until I read your post. Thank you for your wise counsel. I have decided to go LT at 11 come hell or high water.

Message received!

Sincerely,

Joe Douglas

PS: Please pm me your address so I can send you a hundred bucks.

Dear Joe,

I am so relieved that I have helped you tonight.  I heard that you are someone who will listen to ideas, wherever they may come from if they make sense.  Obviously, the rumors are true, and we Jets fans are lucky to have you.

I appreciate the hundred bucks, but I would rather the Jets get to the Super Bowl,  That is all I really want.

Thank you again, and know that I if you're interested, I am interested in scouting for the Jets.  I think I would be a great asset to you.

Best Regards,

Alka

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Dear Alka,

I was leaning Ruggs until I read your post. Thank you for your wise counsel. I have decided to go LT at 11 come hell or high water.

Message received!

Sincerely,

Joe Douglas

PS: Please pm me your address so I can send you a hundred bucks.

He has to deliver the pizza first!

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Are you trying to say we need an Offensive Lineman picked in the 1st round this upcoming draft? Well you are my best scout but my name is Mac McCoffee and we have 1 rule we live by here in Jetsland - BPA. Do you know what that means? Best Player Available! Now run to Dunkin Donuts for me please and get back to watching film on those defensive lineman and undersized linebackers! If I pick an O - Lineman the fans won't be happy - they want a splashy player not some dumb slow lineman. You can always piece them together in free agency. In fact not sure if I even drafted more than  1  O lineman with my 40 draft picks these past 5 years. So get me my coffee and get back to that film on that D lineman I like!

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

People are going to be really disappointed when they find out that he is fully planning to have Fant play LT.  

Yea. My point.  He may feel he’s added enough.  Or, he evaluates WR1 > OL4.     If the Becton is the last of the top 4 he may judge him to risky for pick 11. I would love to know his preferred targets but we can only speculate. But from what we’ve seen you have to trust JD even if he surprises you.  My guess is either Lamb or Wills would help tremendously. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

If the Jets do not have wide receivers that can get open Sam Darnold holds onto the ball. When Sam Darnold holds onto the ball he is at risk of getting sacked and hurt so the best strategy is to draft a wide receiver who can consistently get open.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Alka said:

First round material does not mean that this is the guy that you can just plug in the position and consider it set for ten years. The odds that there are six guys in this draft that fit that qualification are pretty slim.

12 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Yeah but will you be surprised when he isn’t?

Eh.

First, I am much more comfortable with Fant at LT than Edoga at RT.

Second, I think that drafting a tackle isn't necessarily an indictment of Fant.  It will have to do with the level of prospect.  It will be interesting.  The draft is loaded  with talent at the positions the Jets need (except Edge) but I don't think there is that pure perfect prospect that you trade up for.  They all scare me a little bit, but I'd be excited to have them too.  It iwll be interesting to see what he does.

I don't really get excited much, but I'm not going to edit.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Dupe said:

For god’s sake man, JD knows something about offensive linemen.  He’ll make a good choice.  

Mr. Kalil says hi.

54 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Exactly.  Some Fans don’t realize that JD comes from an OL background.  He knows what he is doing when it comes to that

...and Macc had a scouting background. How did that work out?

How about we see his draft picks perform before we talk about him knowing what he's doing?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Yes he did actually.  Led the Jets to the AFCCG in 98.  Jets were leading at the half, so he was very close to a SB

Single handedly got us to that game with his play against the Jags.  

He had a receiving TD, a rushing TD and the game clinching INT. 

Terrible example?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Alka said:

LOL.  As if there aren't solid tackles in the second.  So silly.  

2 hours ago, Jets723 said:

it's like MOST fans here don't realize it.  When the tackle or two he actually wants out of the top 4 are taken before 11, you'll either see a trade back or Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs....  even though one or two of those tackles may still be there.  Hes only going to take one he wants.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

6 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Hope you're right, but it hasn't been the case with John Elway finding his QB in Denver. One failure after another.

If Drew Lock isn't the guy, it might cost Elway his job.

• WTF? 1

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.

First, I am much more comfortable with Fant at LT than Edoga at RT.

Second, I think that drafting a tackle isn't necessarily an indictment of Fant.  It will have to do with the level of prospect.  It will be interesting.  The draft is loaded  with talent at the positions the Jets need (except Edge) but I don't think there is that pure perfect prospect that you trade up for.  They all scare me a little bit, but I'd be excited to have them too.  It iwll be interesting to see what he does.

I don't really get excited much, but I'm not going to edit.

And then there's me. I get excited over everything it seems. ;-) 

I'm more "excited" for this draft than even last year, when I thought Macc was free of Bowles and would give me the draft I wanted. hahaha 

The problem with last year, other than Macc, was that the draft was largely a stronger Defensive class. At least at the top. 

This year is stocked in exactly what the Jets need and I'm hoping JD actually takes advantage of that for once. I would hate to see a draft like that turd Kristian Dyer just crapped out with a DT, TE and LB.  

I am curious to see what happens with Fant too. I want to believe that we have the OL whisperer for a GM and that he can Evaluate to such a degree that he can identify gems where others can't.  So giving Fant the opportunity is key. If he does end up being a good T for us that would be a serious find. I agree that picking a T early is not necessarily a knock on Fant, but I think he's here to play RT mainly. I just think JD wants the world to think he has his LT and will go WR in the first. That could get the Raiders, Broncos, Eagles and some others to want to trade up to grab the one guy they covet. 

This draft would be perfect if we Come out of it with a LT, WR, WR, IOL, CB, WR, T, K for me.  In that order but with a shuffling acceptable.  I have a couple late RD T's I love. Alex Taylor, Charlie Heck, Frantz are going to be projects but really good players.

I like some of the later rd CB's and WR's to surprise. 

I expect them to take an OT. I'll be perfectly fine -and maybe even pretty happy!- if they take an OT. 

But if they have a WR rated well higher than any OT on their board and can't put together a trade down, they have to take the WR. You don't build the best roster by passing on great talent to fill a need. Especially when you're talking about filling another huge need! 

• Upvote 1

I am reminded of 2006.   We had pick 4, al the young JETS fans , Leinert, Cutler were available, the draft was packed with talent.  The Jets take Brick. The silence, for about 2 seconds was deafening.  Then an explosion of cheers.   Even the dumbest of Jets fans recognized we needed to protect Penninton.   

Taking a STUD Oline man is a smart move.  That's why mac and Idzik never did it.

• Upvote 1