Jadeveon Clowney willing to accept short-term deal

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Word on Clowney is he never practices, kinda dogs it in games too. Pain in the neck to deal with. He’s not exactly LT when he plays. One year deal I guess, but it’s probably why no one has signed him.

This explains things more than “but he’s underachieved”. He’s still a good player even though he’s a few notches below those elite guys.

I’m surprised we are even in the mix though. Seems like Douglas wouldn’t want a Mo Wilk in the locker room.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I get it.   Williams sucks but Clowney is such a difference maker.  

I wonder Seattle didnt re sign him after trading draft capital and players for him?  

I wonder why hes been a free agent for 3 weeks and no one has signed him and Williams has been franchise tagged by the Giants???

Are you actually comparing Leo to Clowney?  Wow, you are clueless. Clowney was asking for more than he would get, but he is miles in front of Leo as a player.

giphy.gif

• Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm saying Jadeveon Clowney isn't the "right" player for the Jets.  

I know that about you.

You like fringe players that come cheap -I get that.  I prefer good players, and sometimes you have to pay them. 

I think you and I will simply have to agree to disagree on how we think it would be best to build a roster.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, GaryM said:

Are you actually comparing Leo to Clowney?  Wow, you are clueless. Clowney was asking for more than he would get, but he is miles in front of Leo as a player.

giphy.gif

Im clue less?  Nice to meet you too!

i was comparing the description of Clowney taking double teams and being disruptive but not getting sacks to how Williams was described when he was a Jet.   

And while Clowney may be a better player, its clear the league isnt as enamored with him ss you are.   His two prior teams traded and didnt re sign him and to date he hasnt been re signed by another team despite lowering his salary demands. Williams has a contract for 14 million a year

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I know that about you.

You like fringe players that come cheap -I get that.  I prefer good players, and sometimes you have to pay them. 

I think you and I will simply have to agree to disagree on how we think it would be best to build a roster.

The "right player" can also be good.  And sometimes the players you think are good actually aren't.  

cosmo kramer mind blown GIF

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I know that about you.

What a ridiculous statement.  We know you hate the JD approach and you like free spending like the previous 5 years.....by the way how did that work out?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Im clue less?  Nice to meet you too!

i was comparing the description of Clowney taking double teams and being disruptive but not getting sacks to how Williams was described when he was a Jet.   

And while Clowney may be a better player, its clear the league isnt as enamored with him ss you are.   His two prior teams traded and didnt re sign him and to date he hasnt been re signed by another team despite lowering his salary demands. Williams has a contract for 14 million a year

The only reason Clowney hasn't been signed is because of the price. Just because someone gave Leo 14 million doesn't mean a thing. Leo got overpaid and if Clowney would agree to 14 million that would be a steal. It is clear that Clowney is the better player, that is all that I am saying.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I know that about you.

Jets fans hate guys to get paid. Our own or FAs.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Jets fans hate guys to get paid. Our own or FAs.

Honestly tho, who was the last highly paid Jet to live up to it?  

CJ Mosely

Leveon Bell

Kelechi Osemele

Revis 2.0

Clowney has all the trappings of entitlement, name rep, with the classic aloof IDGAF attitude 

• Sympathy 1

On 4/10/2020 at 8:10 AM, FidelioJet said:

Have you watched him play or just look at numbers?  The guy is very disruptive.  Constantly in the backfield. 

He will immediately be the best player on the defense.  Yes, better than Adams.

yet dealing with another injury he just can't seem to get to his full potential huh?  This guy is fools gold. 

I'd throw $10 mil at him for a 1 year rental and let him leave when we can focus on edge next year at best. He wants $11 mil?  Nope. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, GaryM said:

giphy.gif

yet Leo's franchise tag will pay him $17.1 mil this year and Clowney can't get it done at the same price. He's now lowering his requirements yet again.  

I don't know what that says exactly but it seems Leo is valued more than Clowney at the moment. 

Hey, they are kinda similar in that they are both using stats like pressures and hurries to try and establish their worth. Leo did have 16 QB hits so... :) 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

Honestly tho, who was the last highly paid Jet to live up to it?  

CJ Mosely

Leveon Bell

Kelechi Osemele

Revis 2.0

Clowney has all the trappings of entitlement, name rep, with the classic aloof IDGAF attitude 

The draft has been a comedy of errors for the Jets for years yet fans want to dump our only pro bowl player for more magic tickets.

I’m always admonished to “not let the past color your view of the draft and JD.” 

It’s not about the big money or who is drafted. It’s about the one making the decisions.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

10 hours ago, GaryM said:

The only reason Clowney hasn't been signed is because of the price. Just because someone gave Leo 14 million doesn't mean a thing. Leo got overpaid and if Clowney would agree to 14 million that would be a steal. It is clear that Clowney is the better player, that is all that I am saying.

The reason Clowney hasn’t gotten what he wants is that his sacks totals tell you he isn’t as dominant as you think he is.   Most good pass rushers draw extra attention, the great ones still get there.  He wants elite money for a Calvin Pace kind of production.

It will be interesting to see what kind of contract he ends up with.  I don’t know if the lazy dogging it stories are true but they may be part of why no one has signed him.  He is not an elite edge rusher, and that’s what we need, not a small bump better than Jenkins and Bashram.  Our rush defense was fine without him.

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

yet Leo's franchise tag will pay him $17.1 mil this year and Clowney can't get it done at the same price. He's now lowering his requirements yet again.  

I don't know what that says exactly but it seems Leo is valued more than Clowney at the moment. 

Hey, they are kinda similar in that they are both using stats like pressures and hurries to try and establish their worth. Leo did have 16 QB hits so... :) 

Thanks.  That’s exactly what I was saying but I was called “ clueless”.  

The FA market and his prior two teams are telling you how professionals value Clowney s contributions.

• Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

My guess is, the shorter the term, the lesser chance he comes here

if you’re going to do a one year, prove it, deal, you go to a contender.  Get a shot to win a championship, and not to a rebuilding team 

Its obvious by what's going on with his agents conversations with teams hes not concerned with contenders, hes concerned with dollars in his pockets.  Hes going to the highest bidder, we're thinking too hard here.  

If youre playing on a one year, prove it contract, other than the extra games you play with playoffs, you can shine, show what you can do and get that deal just as easily blowing it out with the Jets as you would with a contender.  Look at all the FAs who have come from non contenders in the past.  

16 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

The FA market and his prior two teams are telling you how professionals value Clowney s contributions.

Just because Gettleman is an idiot doesn’t make Leo a better player than Clowney.  Because it’s not even really close.

Gettleman made a mistake trading a 3rd for Leo and then, in an attempt to save face, compounded that mistake with an even worse one.

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its obvious by what's going on with his agents conversations with teams hes not concerned with contenders, hes concerned with dollars in his pockets.  Hes going to the highest bidder, we're thinking too hard here.  

If youre playing on a one year, prove it contract, other than the extra games you play with playoffs, you can shine, show what you can do and get that deal just as easily blowing it out with the Jets as you would with a contender.  Look at all the FAs who have come from non contenders in the past.  

I agree he’s going to the top bidder and considering most big ticket items are gone - he’s really in no rush.   Wait out the highest bidder.

He’s not getting the long-term $20mm per type deal he was looking for is because of his injury history NOT his production.  This quarantine isn’t helping with that either as teams can’t have their doctors review the guy...

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Just because Gettleman is an idiot doesn’t make Leo a better player than Clowney.  Because it’s not even really close.

Gettleman made a mistake trading a 3rd for Leo and then, in an attempt to save face, compounded that mistake with an even worse one.

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/news/a-look-at-a-potential-contract-structure-for-leonard-williams-and-whether-it-makes-sense

This is a contract proposed by SI for Williams.  3 yrs at just under 15 million a yr.  He is franchised for 17 million a yr.  Seems like he is valued more than you think he should be.

You think Clowney should get more but he can’t even get 15 million a yr.  Seems like he is valued less than you think he should be.  The fact that his two prior teams passed on re signing him is telling.     I’ll say it again.   He is not an elite edge rusher.  Guys that get to the QB get paid.  He doesn’t enough to justify his draft pick or contract demands.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree he’s going to the top bidder and considering most big ticket items are gone - he’s really in no rush.   Wait out the highest bidder.

He’s not getting the long-term $20mm per type deal he was looking for is because of his injury history NOT his production.  This quarantine isn’t helping with that either as teams can’t have their doctors review the guy...

I think its a little of both. 

He's always hurt, dont know that the covid is making that much of a difference.  Even if he's perfectly healthy today, hes always getting hurt.  Some players are just built that way, seems like he is.  And it effects his production.  Never having double digit sacks and coming off of 3 a sacks season is hurting him.  No matter how disruptive you say he is, results are results and 3 leaves a huge question mark on his resume.  

23 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Injury history and production kind of go hand in hand. Clowney hasnt been reliable and its a flag. A one year deal with incentives if the Jets are really desperate would be fine I guess...but any sort of long term contract to Clowney would be nuts. Just dont see the point considering the Jets are very early in their perpetual rebuild.

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The "right player" can also be good.  And sometimes the players you think are good actually aren't.  

cosmo kramer mind blown GIF

Former #1 overall pick about to be on his 3rd team.  Why aren’t we paying him 20M yet?!?!? I just don’t get it.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah but you ARE clueless so....

Yeah man. I don’t think anyone can deny clowney is a good ball player but there are many red flags to go with his absurd contract demands. I would stay away for more than $10 mil prove it deal.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

48 minutes ago, The Gooch said:

The funny thing about him is that they projected him to be close to the next LT!!!!!!

And once upon a time Gholston was supposed to be the next Shawn Merriman and he had both the college stats and workout to back it up

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Injury history and production kind of go hand in hand. Clowney hasnt been reliable and its a flag. A one year deal with incentives if the Jets are really desperate would be fine I guess...but any sort of long term contract to Clowney would be nuts. Just dont see the point considering the Jets are very early in their perpetual rebuild.

If the jets can get Clowney on a one year deal it’s a no brainer

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

That's my read as well.  All of JD's FA deals give easy outs for him to move on. I think he's confident enough to draft their replacements. Could be a sticking point with Clowney. He probably wants multi-year security and JD isn't offering that...