Quincy Enunwa not giving up on playing again

The deal was mind boggling at the time.  Just thankful that we appear to have a better GM in place right now.  As to Quincy, it is probably in his best interest to be the good solider, say the right things, follow treatment/rehab plans, get his $4.1MM next season and then put his Nebraska degree to good use and get on with a healthy life.  With a nice nest egg of $10MM of the Johnsons's money in the bank.

Please remember that this deal was preceded by the mind numbing deal for the one legged Wilkerson.

I mean Wilk was balling at that point ... But no 'prove it' year hurt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Everything Enunwa said is for the sake of collecting the rest of his
guaranteed $$$.  Stenosis will never be cleared by a reputable doctor
to play football.  Enunwa needs to focus on his post-football career
and prepare for that.  If he wants to stay in the game he should "make
nice" with Douglas and see if he can start as a scout possibly

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, heymangold said:

unless i'm mistaken, he was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, right?  if david wright couldn't play baseball with spinal stenosis, there's ZERO chance Q can play football with it.  

Not so.... the severity of defect and the location / vertebrae on the spinal column make comparing the two cases irrelevant.

3 hours ago, Lith said:

Most telling comment from Cimini's article (at least to me):

"Enunwa remains on the Jets' payroll, earning a fully guaranteed $6 million for 2020. He has a $4.1 million injury guarantee in 2021 as part of the four-year, $33.4 million extension he signed in December, 2018. If he opts for voluntary retirement, he'd jeopardize his salary."

As long as he is due $4.1MM next season, he is likely to keep saying he wants to play rather than retire.  I am still very skeptical that we will ever see him on the football field again.  Can't blame him for wanting his money, though.  Mike Maccagnan - the gift that keeps on giving.

how much did he make per catch on that contract extension?

3 hours ago, Lith said:

"Enunwa remains on the Jets' payroll, earning a fully guaranteed $6 million for 2020. He has a $4.1 million injury guarantee in 2021 as part of the four-year, $33.4 million extension he signed in December, 2018. If he opts for voluntary retirement, he'd jeopardize his salary."

As long as he is due $4.1MM next season, he is likely to keep saying he wants to play rather than retire.  I am still very skeptical that we will ever see him on the football field again.  Can't blame him for wanting his money, though.  Mike Maccagnan - the gift that keeps on giving.

i guess i prefer to think he really wants to be a jet but you are right.  he gets paid and all he has to do is say the right things.

3 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Would be amazing for Enunwa to play, always thought he’d be a beast if he played a full season. BUT that’s a pipe dream at this point. 

At this point, Enunwa is Pennington without any of the success.  He's a 99% What-Could-Have-Been, 1% What Was.

Damn shame honestly.  But some guys bodies just aren't built for football.

His contract tho....?‍♂️

Macc was the only one stupid enough to pay this guy for nothing. It was such a stupid move I thought the Mets had done it.

They must have taken no medical advice, I know after his second injury to his neck he was done. Instead we are on the hook for nothing. A parting FU by Super Macc.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29230831/jets-wr-quincy-enunwa-not-giving-playing-again-neck-injury?platform=amp

Good to hear things improved with communication between him and the front office. Feels like Douglas really made it a point to improve in that area. Where Gase might have just done things without explaining anything. 

Would be amazing for Enunwa to play, always thought he’d be a beast if he played a full season. BUT that’s a pipe dream at this point. 

jock heart and desire for last payday but i wouldnt go near him if I was a GM

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Macc was the only one stupid enough to pay this guy for nothing. It was such a stupid move I thought the Mets had done it.

They must have taken no medical advice, I know after his second injury to his neck he was done. Instead we are on the hook for nothing. A parting FU by Super Macc.

We could have also taken that money and instead locked up Robby Anderson for similar money (something like 4 years, $36-40M).  

As always, Macc chose the wrong door when the obvious decision to make was right there for him.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Like Q as a player a lot.  .  Think he's just trying to get as much money out of his contract as he can.  Guy got hurt playing hard, hope he gets a lot of it.

As much as I'd like to see him come back and contribute, if he's smart he'll take the millions he's made, and go out and enjoy life with out a wheel chair.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.  Yes, completely in the same ballpark in terms of financial impact.  

Woody can handle it.  Qs contract did nothing to prevent Douglas from giving the worst center in the NFL 10 million dollars.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No.  What I'm saying is Enunwa's deal impacted the cap for 2019, 2020, and 2021.  Kalil's contract only impacted 2019.  

Oh please..  how ever will Douglas be able to overcome that 4 mill Quincy hit next year.. 

marlon brando eye roll GIF

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Pac said:

Oh please..  how ever will Douglas be able to overcome that 4 mill Quincy hit next year.. 

marlon brando eye roll GIF

The point is this was another in a long line of mind-numbingly dumb decisions Macc made across his tenure that put the roster in awful shape for Douglas's first season.  How do you give that many injury guarantees to a guy with a serious neck injury without being somewhere in the neighborhood of Forrest Gump IQ?

Your continued defense of Mike Maccagnan is sad and pathetic.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We could have also taken that money and instead locked up Robby Anderson for similar money (something like 4 years, $36-40M).  

As always, Macc chose the wrong door when the obvious decision to make was right there for him.  

He always thought he was the smartest guy in the room. Doing things others didn’t do:-

Drafting Hacken In the 2nd round, when most people gave him an undraftable  grade. Leading to Skipping on both Watson and Mahomes the year after.

Drafting Quinnen Williams, over the obvious edge rusher in Josh Allen.

The list of incompetence goes on.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

He always thought he was the smartest guy in the room. Doing things others didn’t do:-

Drafting Hacken In the 2nd round, when most people gave him an undraftable  grade. Leading to Skipping on both Watson and Mahomes the year after.

Drafting Quinnen Williams, over the obvious edge rusher in Josh Allen.

The list of incompetence goes on.

Pretty much everything in this post is incorrect.

21 hours ago, Lith said:

This was probably the worse contract a GM has ever signed. He missed the entire 2017 season. Then he was placed on IR in 2018 after playing 11 games but Mr. Dumberer (McCoffee) Gabe him a massive contract that was almost entirely guaranteed for injury. It’s not like we signed him for peanuts and gave full guarantees. We actually paid him about 8+ mil a year to be our 3rd WR. Idzik was terrible, this was his best pick. And Mac gave him this terrible contract. I can’t decide what’s worse. Idzik, Mac or this contract. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, CurtMart said:

This was probably the worse contract a GM has ever signed. He missed the entire 2017 season. Then he was placed on IR in 2018 after playing 11 games but Mr. Dumberer (McCoffee) Gabe him a massive contract that was almost entirely guaranteed for injury. It’s not like we signed him for peanuts and gave full guarantees. We actually paid him about 8+ mil a year to be our 3rd WR. Idzik was terrible, this was his best pick. And Mac gave him this terrible contract. I can’t decide what’s worse. Idzik, Mac or this contract. 

I have been ranting about this contract from day 1. Besides his inability to build a competent OL, this was Macc's most glaring blunder. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/28/2020 at 10:53 AM, Lith said:

Spotrac is consistent with what Cimini says.  It refers to a $4.1MM injury guarantee in 2021:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/quincy-enunwa-14620/

"Contract Notes:
$10M fully guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2019 salary)
$6M 2020 salary fully guarantees on 3/22/2020 (guaranteed for injury now)
$4,078,588 of 2021 salary fully guarantees on the 5th league day of 2021 (guaranteed for injury now)
2021 Escalator: $700,000 (earned with any active game in 2020)
2022 Escalator: $1.9M (earned with any active game in 2020 OR 2021)"

Overthecap refers to a partial guarantee for 2021 in the contract notes -- likely the same $4.1MM

https://overthecap.com/player/quincy-enunwa/3148/

"Contract Notes
Quincy Enunwa signed a four year, $36 million extension with the Jets on December 28, 2018. Enunwa received $20.25 million in guarantees, $9.17 million of which is fully guaranteed at signing. Enunwa's signing bonus was $9 million. Enunwa's 2019 and 2020 salaries are guaranteed for injury and his 2021 salary has a partial salary guarantee. Each of those salaries will become fully guaranteed if he is on the roster on the 5th day of that league year. Enunwa's salary cap number increased by $1.8 million in 2018 due to the extension."

Given to a player with a pre-existing neck injury this contract has got to be one of the worst in NFL history for a player of this caliber. 

Can you just imagine JD as he was first reading/becoming aware of this contract.   

• Upvote 2