*RUMOR* 49ers and Seahawks trying to aquire Jamal Adams, Cowboys unlikely to make a push at this time.

On 7/10/2020 at 11:09 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

I didn't nickname myself "Prez", nor do I act like a tough guy.  It's reasonable to make fun of a professional athlete for being less tough than he says he is.  Especially when OTHER athletes are making fun of him for it.  SEE:  Hiding under the table incident at LSU.

Just dont forget my name!

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Braylon gave us more and was actually a well liked guy in the locker room 

Santonio was a cancer.

I'm on board with both being divas.  I get that people think this way, but Holmes had like 500 more yards and 7 more TDs as a Jet.  They'd have been better off letting them both walk and going hard after Vincent Jackson

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2020 at 12:10 PM, Paradis said:

lol, dude i never get what i want. The Jets have a better chance of landing Christian McCaffrey for Lev Bell than we do Hurd - purely because i want him. Dunno if you saw that other post, but i actually dreamt we traded for him earlier this week, and for a brief moment, i was happy. Like i haven't been since 16 and smoking a joint...

then NY COVID-19 task force blocked the trade due to unsafe conditions in NY and it turned into nightmare. 

If by some stroke godly grace, Hurd wound up trade to us and if I avoided spontaneously combusted immediately after, i would cry... I would cry like a baby. 

Well wanting Mims, losing it when he wasn’t taken and we traded down and then still getting him worked out well and should prove, yes sometimes you get what you want

• Sympathy 1

On 7/10/2020 at 11:09 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

I didn't nickname myself "Prez", nor do I act like a tough guy.  It's reasonable to make fun of a professional athlete for being less tough than he says he is.  Especially when OTHER athletes are making fun of him for it.  SEE:  Hiding under the table incident at LSU.

The whole team looks at Jamal as one of their leaders and we should carry on about whatever happened or supposedly happened at LSU where he left with everyone calling him a leader?

He got the nickname at LSU, do you know how or why?

How many complaints are you up to now, most are as meaningless to fans as this one.  I do t like his nickname, lol

11 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm on board with both being divas.  I get that people think this way, but Holmes had like 500 more yards and 7 more TDs as a Jet.  They'd have been better off letting them both walk and going hard after Vincent Jackson

Holmes played another full season in 2011.  

The jets under multiple regimes simply refused to draft Wide Receivers for like 16 years - and when they did they whiffed hard on crap like Stewart, Hill and Hansen

• Upvote 1

On 7/10/2020 at 10:10 AM, Paradis said:

lol, dude i never get what i want. The Jets have a better chance of landing Christian McCaffrey for Lev Bell than we do Hurd - purely because i want him. Dunno if you saw that other post, but i actually dreamt we traded for him earlier this week, and for a brief moment, i was happy. Like i haven't been since 16 and smoking a joint...

then NY COVID-19 task force blocked the trade due to unsafe conditions in NY and it turned into nightmare. 

If by some stroke godly grace, Hurd wound up trade to us and if I avoided spontaneously combusted immediately after, i would cry... I would cry like a baby. 

You got Mims, and I got Becton AND Mims. I'm surprised you haven't nutted in your own eye since this turned into a dream scenario for a first time GM like Douglas and honestly, myself.

I've never been so happy about our first two selections in a draft.....ever. These were players that many of us liked pre-draft and now they are Jets even with a perilous and nerve wracking trade down.  

Typical Jets luck that as soon as things start looking up, everything else goes down the sh*tter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, RobR said:

You got Mims, and I got Becton AND Mims. I'm surprised you haven't nutted in your own eye since this turned into a dream scenario for a first time GM like Douglas and honestly, myself.

I've never been so happy about our first two selections in a draft.....ever. These were players that many of us liked pre-draft and now they are Jets even with a perilous and nerve wracking trade down.  

Typical Jets luck that as soon as things start looking up, everything else goes down the sh*tter. 

Depends on what happens next.  If the season happens, its bad for the Jets.  Might as well consider this a throwaway season with all the new faces, especially on the Offensive Line.  

But if the season gets cancelled, its actually a dream scenario.  We get another offseason for JD to add talent, the team gets plenty of time to "gel", AND Darnold doesn't move a year further towards the end of his rookie deal.  All Jets fans should be happy with a cancelled season if it plays out like that, even if the football fan in us hates it. 

If the 2020 season gets cancelled, the next time we'll see the Jets, they'll be a strong contender for the division title.  I'd be very confident of that.

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Depends on what happens next.  If the season happens, its bad for the Jets.  Might as well consider this a throwaway season with all the new faces, especially on the Offensive Line.  

But if the season gets cancelled, its actually a dream scenario.  We get another offseason for JD to add talent, the team gets plenty of time to "gel", AND Darnold doesn't move a year further towards the end of his rookie deal.  All Jets fans should be happy with a cancelled season if it plays out like that, even if the football fan in us hates it. 

If the 2020 season gets cancelled, the next time we'll see the Jets, they'll be a strong contender for the division title.  I'd be very confident of that.

Sorry, but the season getting cancelled is not a dream scenario for any team, including us. You just cancelled a season of growth, a season of college football, and threw the scouting department to code rogue, along with killing the HS recruitment process.

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

Sorry, but the season getting cancelled is not a dream scenario for any team, including us. You just cancelled a season of growth, a season of college football, and threw the scouting department to code rogue, along with killing the HS recruitment process.

It's bad for everyone.  But better for us than just about any other team.  

We're about to have 5 brand new starting Offensive Linemen this season, if it happens.  There's not a single other team in the league in that category.  My guess is no other team has more than 3 new starting OL next year.

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's bad for everyone.  But better for us than just about any other team.  

We're about to have 5 brand new starting Offensive Linemen this season, if it happens.  There's not a single other team in the league in that category.  My guess is no other team has more than 3 new starting OL next year.

We're not building the great wall of China, we're only rebuilding an offensive line. Do you realize the common theme how offensive lineman tend too gel? It's because they're good. 

8 minutes ago, RobR said:

We're not building the great wall of China, we're only rebuilding an offensive line. Do you realize the common theme how offensive lineman tend too gel? It's because they're good. 

Yes but a lack of a true offseason undoubtedly still hurts.  We'd have a slow start out of the gate.  I mean hell, we have a rookie LT and another OT that is basically considered a 28-year old project.  Becton could well be a future HOFer but he'll still need time and reps to adjust to the NFL.

And its not just the OL.  Unless I'm mistaken I don't know that there's any team in the league that had more roster turnover than us.  If there were it was only a couple of other teams.

It would also screw over Adams a bit too, so that would be the cherry on top, lol.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes but a lack of a true offseason undoubtedly still hurts.  We'd have a slow start out of the gate. 

And its not just the OL.  Unless I'm mistaken I don't know that there's any team in the league that had more roster turnover than us.  If there were it was only a couple of other teams.

It would also screw over Adams a bit too, so that would be the cherry on top, lol.

I like the cherry on top but missing an entire season is devastating not only too a NFL team but all of college and HS football, which is the lifeblood of this league. 

Are you trying too state that a missed season would be good for the Jets because we have question marks along the Oline? 

17 minutes ago, RobR said:

I like the cherry on top but missing an entire season is devastating not only too a NFL team but all of college and HS football, which is the lifeblood of this league. 

Are you trying too state that a missed season would be good for the Jets because we have question marks along the Oline? 

I'm saying a missed season is bad for everyone, but that it would benefit us more than probably any other NFL team because of all the new faces.

Oh, one more additional impact of a canceled season:  The cap will likely go down for the next few years, just in time for Darnold's 2nd contract (assuming he proves to be worthy of one).

• Upvote 1

Anyways....back on topic:

@T0mShane

https://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/2401-49ers-afford-acquire-new-york-jets-jamal-adams/

Mark Konezny-USA TODAY Sports

Mark Konezny-USA TODAY Sports

pinit_fg_en_rect_red_28.png

Yes, the 49ers Can Afford to Acquire and Pay Jets Safety Jamal Adams

Levin T. Black
Jul 12, 2020 at 5:12 AM  0

Hey, not sure if you've heard but All-Pro strong safety Jamal Adams of the New York Jets is demanding a trade and the San Francisco 49ers are reportedly interested. Oh, it's been all over Twitter and the sports talk shows for the past few weeks and is literally the only newsworthy topic to discuss until training camp? Ah well, why not look at whether it is even feasible?

The 49ers being interested in acquiring a top player shouldn't be news. This regime is ALWAYS interested and will kick the tires. General manager John Lynch inquired about trading for Tom Brady from the New England Patriots THREE years ago. The team pursued Odell Beckham Jr. and others as well. The 49ers are going to at least make a call to find out the price on any top player who has some chance of being available.

Adams certainly represents a top player ... and an upgrade. Current starter Jaquiski Tartt is a fine player (when healthy). He may make a Pro Bowl one of these years, but he's not on Adams' level. Adams is an All-Pro and one of maybe a dozen defensive players who are true game changers.

Adams is a 24-year old player who could end up in the Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. A lot can happen to disrupt him from getting his bust but getting a player with that ceiling, as he enters his prime, is a rare opportunity.

Convincing the Jets to trade him AND affording the massive extension he is seeking are the two big roadblocks for the 49ers. Let's address the trade proposal first.

Any trade would have to include Tartt. His value is limited though. He has just one year remaining on his deal. What team would want to trade the best strong safety in the league with two years remaining on his deal for an above average one with just one year left? 1. A team that's forced to by a player threatening to hold out. 2. The New York Jets ...

A trade I think would work for both teams is the aforementioned Tartt plus wide receiver Dante Pettis and a 2021 second-round pick. The pick is the most valuable part for the Jets but the team is also in dire need of wide receivers (projected starters are Jamison Crowder and Denzel Mims) and Pettis is the 49ers player most in need of a fresh start.

Maybe the Jets have no interest in Pettis. If that is the case, the draft pick would have to be upgraded to a first rounder. That might be the case even with Pettis if the Jets play hardball and are willing to call Adams' bluff on a holdout.

Whatever it ends up, a trade both teams are content with is out there. The 49ers' ability to afford Adams is the bigger roadblock.

Currently, the 49ers have just over $12 million in cap space for the upcoming season. Most, if not all of that, is expected to be used on a George Kittle extension. Let's say a new Kittle deal has a cap hit of $8 million in year one. That leaves $4 million in cap space.

The 49ers will gain some cap space by trading Tartt but not the full $6.275 million. Tartt has a dead cap hit of $1.5 million if traded so the savings would be only $4.725 million, giving the 49ers a total of $8.725 million left after the Kittle deal.

Including Pettis in the deal has more to do with getting the Jets to trade Adams than increasing cap space for the 49ers. The 49ers would save just $378,132 according to OverTheCap.com. This is due to most of Pettis' cap hit being locked in already and thus becoming a dead cap hit for the 49ers upon trade.

Still, the 49ers would have a little over $9 million in cap space which should be enough with Executive Vice President of Football Operations Paraag Marathe's typical cap manipulations.

An Adams extension is likely to be record-setting in two ways. He will want to set the average annual value (AAV) record for safeties as well as the guaranteed amount. Due to his age and level of play he can command it too.

The Chicago Bears' Eddie Jackson has the highest AAV at $14.6 million and the Washington Soon to be Renamed's Landon Collins got $44.5 million guaranteed.

This puts an Adams extension in the $15-16 million AAV range and close to $50 million for guarantees, assuming a five-year deal. A realistic new deal for Adams would look like five years, $78 million with $48 million guaranteed.

Adams may want to top Collins' $84 million total contract value and thus set every record for a safety. This would require a sixth year, same as the Collins deal. A six-year deal should come in at $95 million overall, $58 million guaranteed.

It's a big contract. Doing this trade and extension, plus a Kittle extension, puts the 49ers in a salary cap bind. There are solutions to that problem in 2021, however (hello Kwon Alexander and Dee Ford).

For a team contending, it could be worth dealing with the bind to improve in 2020 while also locking up a top player for his prime seasons. Then again, the 49ers could win the Super bowl by sticking with Tartt and utilize the draft pick for a cheap replacement in 2021.

Ultimately, it may come down to the Jets' asking price.
  • Levin T. Black
  • WRITTEN BY:
    A graduate of Ball State University in 2009, Levin was a full-time sports journalist for a few years until he transitioned into a more lucrative career. He began writing for Webzone in 2018 in order to scratch his journalist itch.
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

A trade I think would work for both teams is the aforementioned Tartt plus wide receiver Dante Pettis and a 2021 second-round pick. The pick is the most valuable part for the Jets but the team is also in dire need of wide receivers (projected starters are Jamison Crowder and Denzel Mims) and Pettis is the 49ers player most in need of a fresh start.

Jet fans: “TwO OnEs MiNiMuM”

Every other team: “Uhhh here is some garbage and ok here is a second rounder”

• Upvote 3

"Adams certainly represents a top player ... and an upgrade. Current starter Jaquiski Tartt is a fine player (when healthy). He may make a Pro Bowl one of these years, but he's not on Adams' level. Adams is an All-Pro and one of maybe a dozen defensive players who are true game changers.

Adams is a 24-year old player who could end up in the Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. A lot can happen to disrupt him from getting his bust but getting a player with that ceiling, as he enters his prime, is a rare opportunity."

Grant you Adams is a good safety. But has Levin T. Black actually watched Adams play? "True game changer"? Really? Anyone seen that player? Under the current PI enforcement, and how big hits are basically banned so the Ronnie Lott over the middle clobbering is illegal, and since Adams has almost no turnovers, the multiple occasions when he's been a "true game changer", when were those? 

And the Niners if they gave Adams an extension would probably have to at some point jettison Kittle. Does that make any sense to them? 

Trading for 2021 draft picks may be the biggest gamble. Chances are, college football is going to be a shell of itself, if it is even played this fall. Teams may be working off sophomore and junior tape. 

If the Jets are serious on trading Jamal, it may be best to wait all this out, even if it means it may devalue hime to some degree.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm saying a missed season is bad for everyone, but that it would benefit us more than probably any other NFL team because of all the new faces.

Oh, one more additional impact of a canceled season:  The cap will likely go down for the next few years, just in time for Darnold's 2nd contract (assuming he proves to be worthy of one).

I believe the league is prepared to cancel the season. I think that’s why they cancelled the two preseason games early, but are insisting on keeping the two that remain. That gives them two weeks of a trial run, then two weeks to see what - if any- viral outbreaks there are. If the situation looks like they won’t be able to complete the season, they could pull the plug before it starts.  

Once the regular season begins, all the players are entitled to their entire season’s pay. That’s why the players want the preseason scrapped entirely - if they play one regular season game and there are outbreaks all over, they get paid and credit for the year. A cancelled season would probably send both parties to the courts. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, slats said:

I believe the league is prepared to cancel the season. I think that’s why they cancelled the two preseason games early, but are insisting on keeping the two that remain. That gives them two weeks of a trial run, then two weeks to see what - if any- viral outbreaks there are. If the situation looks like they won’t be able to complete the season, they could pull the plug before it starts.  

Once the regular season begins, all the players are entitled to their entire season’s pay. That’s why the players want the preseason scrapped entirely - if they play one regular season game and there are outbreaks all over, they get paid and credit for the year. A cancelled season would probably send both parties to the courts. 

obviously they're following baseball and basketball closely.  the nfl has some time to learn from problems and mistakes of other leagues, but there's just too many people involved in the nfl for the virus to not affect people's health and the outcome of games. 

34 minutes ago, slats said:

Too much tv money at stake to cancel the nfl season 

Supposedly a vaccine will be ready be September.  Only the rich will be able to get it which means players on NFL rosters

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would hate to have to wait a full year to watch football but this scenerio looks more real every passing day. You may be right, with essentially 4 new faces on the OLine an extra offseason would be a blessing in disguise.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Too much tv money at stake to cancel the nfl season 

Supposedly a vaccine will be ready be September.  Only the rich will be able to get it which means players on NFL rosters

I’m not anti-vaxxing in any way, but I also don’t know if I’d want to be first in line for some rushed-to-market trial drug. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m not anti-vaxxing in any way, but I also don’t know if I’d want to be first in line for some rushed-to-market trial drug. 

Only way we complete the nfl season is if a significant number of players get the vaccine that becomes available in the fall