Greg Van Roten: Cam Newton with Bill Belichick 'terrifying' to think about

https://www.nfl.com/news/van-roten-cam-newton-with-bill-belichick-terrifying-to-think-about

Sunday, Jul 12, 2020 08:32 AM

Van Roten: Cam Newton with Bill Belichick 'terrifying' to think about

From the dog days of life without Tom Brady to the dreams of what may come with Cam Newton have gone the New England Patriots' prospects and offseason.

The latter technically began to take shape in March when the Carolina Panthers parted ways with Newton, the longtime face of the franchise and very likely the greatest player in team chronicle.

Though hardly an unpredictable move, it still proved stunning to many and could prove pivotal to the Patriots maintaining their winning ways.

At least that's how Greg Van Roten – another former Panther and Newton's teammate for five years – sees it.

Now a member of the rival New York Jets, Van Roten believes the Panthers may rue the decision to drop Newton and he and his new team might regret it, as well.

"I was surprised, but I also saw it coming, if that makes sense," Van Roten said of Newton's release in a recent interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "It was one of those situations where you have this talent, you have this franchise quarterback and you're going to release him? Like, to me, that seems like an interesting business decision, because you can replace a coaching staff, you can get a new scouting department, you can get a new business side of football – when it comes to a franchise quarterback – and there's plenty of teams across the league that will attest to it, like, you better be right, because you're mortgaging the next couple of years on that decision. You know, I know Cam had some injury issues in the past, but the guy is a competitor."

Van Roten isn't the first to opine that a motivated Newton might well take the field in 2020, looking to move past two years of injury and tumult that came to a most unfitting end to his storied Carolina tenure.

While Newton's longtime coach Ron Rivera is now in Washington and Carolina is helmed by first-year coach Matt Rhule, Newton ships up to Boston to find Bill Belichick waiting.

Perhaps the greatest coach of all-time, Belichick will welcome a former NFL Most Valuable Player in Newton, who is looking to replace a former multi-time MVP in Brady.

If it clicks between the hoodie and the hats, Van Roten isn't looking forward to what becomes – or more realistically stays the same – in the AFC East.

"What does he bring to the Patriots?" Van Roten said. "It's definitely terrifying to think if Cam Newton's healthy and he's in Belichick's offense, you know, in my division, it could be a long year for the other teams, because he's a game changer. He came into the league, you know, he's a league MVP, brought a team to the Super Bowl – he's just built differently than a lot of quarterbacks. And he's a headache to game plan for. So when he's healthy, you can stop the run from him, but then you gotta defend the pass. If you can stop the pass, well then you've got to account for the run. So, it's basically, pick one thing and he'll do the other. And then you couple him with Belichick, who only cares about winning and Cam really wants to prove himself, so it's definitely a recipe for disaster for the rest of the league if they can figure it out."

Per Van Roten, there's an ominous forecast for Patriots opponents in 2020.

I totally think BB can revive Newton's career but it comes with big BUT. Newton will have to be a running threat and expose himself to injury. So, the injury question is a big one. Cam is not as durable as he was when he was younger. Also, in addition to avoiding injury Cam's performance will be dictated by the how accurate he happens to be. No one really knows the answer to that question.

My money is on Cam not being accurate enough for BB's liking and the Pats going with a multiple QB offense because, face it, BB would like nothing better to make the QB position just another position on the field.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, AFCEastFan said:

I've seen this movie before when Chad OchoCinco, Reggie Wayne, Michael Bennett, Albert Haynesworth, and other highly-touted vets came to Foxboro.  Don't believe the hype, there is a good chance that Stidham simply beats Newton out in pre-season.  

Well with any bit of luck, it’s about time the Pats fell apart ?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, AFCEastFan said:

I've seen this movie before when Chad OchoCinco, Reggie Wayne, Michael Bennett, Albert Haynesworth, and other highly-touted vets came to Foxboro.  Don't believe the hype, there is a good chance that Stidham simply beats Newton out in pre-season.  

wait til Cam does one of his pressers in drag.....   Massachussets will fall off the map. ?

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I totally think BB can revive Newton's career but it comes with big BUT. Newton will have to be a running threat and expose himself to injury. So, the injury question is a big one. Cam is not as durable as he was when he was younger. Also, in addition to avoiding injury Cam's performance will be dictated by the how accurate he happens to be. No one really knows the answer to that question.

My money is on Cam not being accurate enough for BB's liking and the Pats going with a multiple QB offense because, face it, BB would like nothing better to make the QB position just another position on the field.

I think there is close to zero chance of Newton being successful. He has been one of the worst rated QBs over the last 4 years, and his body is breaking down. When you add into that the complete miss fit of character for NE and Belichick I will be shocked if he makes it through TC and if he does likely as just the veteran backup. Reminds me of when Ocho Cinco went there and everyone thought he would be awesome and fell on his face, Randy Moss was just a different level of talent and never really the issue like Newton will be. I hope they play him, he will suck.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

What is terrifying  is the thought that BB will actually be patient  with Cam onnce he has one of hia 4 pick games. 

Interesting because Cam Newton has onky thrown 4 interceptions twice in his career, with one being in his rookie year.

7 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Cam was a very effective player for several years because of his physical ability.  He doesn’t have that anymore and he’s not durable enough to last an entire season anymore even if he’s effective for a couple games

None of these running qbs last.  Mike Vick only lasted so long because his career was interrupted for 3 years by jail

1 hour ago, ghost_in_pads02 said:

And you know for sure what Cam has In the tank?

OOh I forgot. You are a scout and you were there when the patriots were looking at him.

How many games did Cam play in last year and how good did he look with the most explosive rb in football?

6 hours ago, AFCEastFan said:

Belichick signed Newton to deflect attention off his latest slap on the wrist for overt cheating 

Is it such a coincidence they both happened on the same day?

People don't realize newton had rotator cuff surgery, like Pennington, he has also had several other surgeries and all have taken there toll, if he has a great o line and OC he can be successful, just like any capable QB.

He's a pathetic diva as far as his personality goes, just like his head coach.

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

NE became a lot less scary when they decided to acquire Newton instead of sticking with Stidham

Exactly!! Why don't they just get Mike Vick or Colin Kaepernick LMFAO

In my non humble opinion Cam Newton is an injury-prone unreliable diva who would make the first string All Jamal team!

Dude does not scare me at all!

F*** em'

15 hours ago, AFCEastFan said:

Exactly.  I'm not overly worried about Cam with the Pats.  Even if he does well there (which I'm not really even expecting), there's going to be a drop-off from the (arguable) GOAT.  

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

There's no reason to worry about any QB with Bill Belichick other than Tom Brady.  Sure NE will still be competitive but the dynasty is dead.

Exactly.  They'll be in the mix to win the division but things are different now.   Not saying BB can't build the team back up to championship level over the next couple of years but it's no longer a given that they're winning the division.

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

No doubt.  If Cam is healthy, they're winning 12 games guaranteed.  

Cam won as many as 12 games just 2 times in Carolina, BB has never won as many as 12 without Brady.  The schedule looks tougher, the talent around the QB still looks mediocre and the D took a hit.  A healthy Cam is a top QB, he's still not Brady and a healthy Cam does not guarantee anything other than they will be a playoff caliber team.

Just now, nyjunc said:

Cam won as many as 12 games just 2 times in Carolina, BB has never won as many as 12 without Brady.  The schedule looks tougher, the talent around the QB still looks mediocre and the D took a hit.  A healthy Cam is a top QB, he's still not Brady and a healthy Cam does not guarantee anything other than they will be a playoff caliber team.

Healthy Cam = 12 wins guaranteed

22 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The AFC East’s best QB is currently Fitzpatrick. The Pats still have their defense. Nothing is going to change. Brady also wasn’t good last year.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The AFC East’s best QB is currently Fitzpatrick. The Pats still have their defense. Nothing is going to change. Brady also wasn’t good last year.

The pats D, which lost maybe their best player, along with the greatest QB of all time and a very easy schedule led them to 12 wins last year.  Still not a lot of talent on O, a lesser D, Tigger schedule and a QB who hasn't been healthy for a long time and is coming to a new team with no real offseason.

Fitz is not the best QB in the AFC East, he puts up garbage time numbers. He's the same guy as always, puts up numbers when games mean nothing.  Sam and Allen are both better.

NE should compete for a playoff spot with a healthy Cam, 12 wins are not guaranteed. Nothing is guaranteed.