D Guice arrested

TnT

2 hours ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

Is Bryce Love still alive? Skins drafted him high and injured out of college knowing he was going to take time. He was great before the injury

Guy got hurt his last college game. I'd love to see him healthy again

Bryce Love upon hearing the great/horrible news

image.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

An NFL team wouldn’t cut a guy with his potential if there wasn’t proof. They have a lot more access to what happened than most anybody else aside from law enforcement. It was also stemming from three different incidents. Due process has nothing to do with how your work handles you employment when you mess up. 

It's the Redskins.  They are in complete retreat mode.  They will do anything that whispers culture change, even it is a "guy with potential."  Particularly at one of the easiest positions to fill where they already are trotting a HOF out and have several other viable alternatives. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know jacksh*t about guilt or innocence, but there is a decent chance he gets off.  The most recent alleged assault took place in mid-April and they only became aware of them in late July.  Plenty of opportunity to poke holes in evidence that old.  He has a fairly high profile attorney, though the guy didn't exactly go undefeated on the DC sniper and Marv Albert cases.

11 hours ago, MichaelScott said:

Turning himself in proves guilt?

Nope, but that combined with him getting hit with not one but THREE assault charges, and his team releasing him (teams know as much as law enforcement on this stuff) would suggest he probably isn't an innocent.  People love to jump to the defense of these guys as a kneejerk reaction, and it usually doesn't end well for that side of things.

I'm firmly in the "believe women" camp on this stuff so, yeah, he probably did something pretty awful.  If you want to think he's a saint until the courts convict him, have at it.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Guice turned himself into authorities, and several mooks in this thread cry “guilty until proven innocence! Due process!!”

Can’t make this stuff up.

It's because he "only" hit a woman. It's the trend here.

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nope, but that combined with him getting hit with not one but THREE assault charges, and his team releasing him (teams know as much as law enforcement on this stuff) would suggest he probably isn't an innocent.  People love to jump to the defense of these guys as a kneejerk reaction, and it usually doesn't end well for that side of things.

I'm firmly in the "believe women" camp on this stuff so, yeah, he probably did something pretty awful.  If you want to think he's a saint until the courts convict him, have at it.

I'm with you on that, for the most part. Just wasn't totally clear on your point. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/ron-rivera-releasing-derrius-guice-washington-best-interest

Rivera: Releasing Guice was in Washington's 'best interest'

Headshot_Author_Kevin-Patra_2020

Kevin Patra

AROUND THE NFL WRITER

The Washington Football Team swiftly moved on from Derrius Guice on Friday after the running back was arrested on domestic violence charges.

During a video conference Monday, coach Ron Rivera explained the decision to cut Guice.

"I made a decision I believe was in the best interest of the organization, players and our fans going forward," Rivera said. "A very difficult decision. Any time you have to release a very talented young football player, it's always a tough decision. But this type of circumstance, this type of situation, we take those allegations very, very seriously. And we had to make a decision going forward. Sometimes it's one of these things where there are processes. ... Each circumstance is unique, each one will be handled and dealt with differently, to what we believe is best for the organization going forward."

Rivera said he talked to players over the weekend and explained to them the circumstances and the choice to cut a talented young player.

"If it was the right decision, we will benefit from it," he said. "If it's not, it will be on me. I'll take full responsibility as we go forward to try and make sure we do thing the right way."

Rivera declined to get into the timeline or other factors involved in Guice's release.

The running back faces charges of one count of felony strangulation, three counts of assault and battery and one count of destruction of property. The alleged incidents occurred earlier this year on Feb. 14, March 3 and April 17 at Guice's residence in Ashburn, Virginia. Authorities were made aware of the allegations on July 22. Guice turned himself in on Friday, Loudoun County (Virginia) Sheriff's Office confirmed to NFL.com.

The decision to quickly cut Guice while other players on Washington's roster, like Reuben Foster, have been given second chances sits in stark contrast with the linebacker coming off PUP over the weekend.

Rivera noted that he's had many conversations with Foster about his off-field issues and the linebacker had a chance to get cleared of the latest issue. The coach believes Foster benefited greatly from a change of scenery.

"Who knows, that's what might be needed in Derrius' case," Rivera said. "An opportunity to get a change of scenery."

Likewise, Rivera noted that the situation with receiver Cody Latimer, who was placed on the Commissioner's Exempt List, was different, and the coach reiterated that "every situation is unique" and will be handled separately.

Rivera added that it wasn't easy for the team to cut the second-round running back, but he's confident in the RB room, led by Adrian Peterson, Peyton Barber, Bryce Love and rookie Antonio Gibson, among others.

"We feel very good about the group of guys that we have, we really do," he said. "We think that this is a group of guys that are talented. Again, it was a really difficult decision, trust me, it really was. Derrius is a gifted young football player. And, again, it's one of those things where we're trying to get ready for a season, and one thing we can't handle are situations, circumstances that are beyond our realm. He's going to have to deal with something for a while, and his opportunities to get prepared and ready for the season would be limited."

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Believe women really took hold during the Kavanaugh hearings. Kind of fizzled out when Biden was accused. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You don't think the fact that it is the Redskins should factor in?  They are in a pretty big CYA mode down here.  I doubt they looked at any of the facts of the case.  They just saw newspaper articles and sought the best way to distance themselves.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Believe women really took hold during the Kavanaugh hearings. Kind of fizzled out when Biden was accused. 

2 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Believe all accusers of every crime all the time. 

Totally come to the kneejerk defense of a pro athlete being charged for 5 crimes, all the time.  

He's a total saint, that Derrius Guice.  The Washington Football team cut an innocent man (a 2018 2nd round pick, no less).  Such a mistake, how dare they not do their research at all.  Don't they know what WE know, which is nothing yet???  Accuser must want that sweet, sweet rookie deal money!!1!1!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You don't think the fact that it is the Redskins should factor in?  They are in a pretty big CYA mode down here.  I doubt they looked at any of the facts of the case.  They just saw newspaper articles and sought the best way to distance themselves.

Then why not cut Reuben Foster too, in that case?  They're getting hit pretty hard on the PR side for holding onto him.

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Then why not cut Reuben Foster too, in that case?  They're getting hit pretty hard on the PR side for holding onto him.

Still?  I haven't heard boo about Foster in ages.  I can't say I fully remember it, but IIRC Foster already had his day in court, so to speak.  In the first case, the woman testified she fabricated the charges in a "money scheme" and in the other the charges were dropped a year ago.  Whether we believe him or not is one thing, but there is a pretty big difference from that to a guy out on bail with open indictments.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Still?  I haven't heard boo about Foster in ages.  I can't say I fully remember it, but IIRC Foster already had his day in court, so to speak.  In the first case, the woman testified she fabricated the charges in a "money scheme" and in the other the charges were dropped a year ago.  Whether we believe him or not is one thing, but there is a pretty big difference from that to a guy out on bail with open indictments.

Fair enough.  I just don't see any reason why Washington would cut a 2018 second round pick with some pretty good potential without doing their due diligence.  They likely knew there was a good chance these chargers were coming down the pike for a while. 

The idea that they cut him as a PR move is secondary to them believing there was something to this and not a false accusation.  No one would have killed them for waiting for the justice system to play out and then cut him later, unless of course they worried he'd end up on the Commissioner's Exempt List (and there aren't exactly a lot of innocent people who have been placed on that).  

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fair enough.  I just don't see any reason why Washington would cut a 2018 second round pick with some pretty good potential without doing their due diligence.  They likely knew there was a good chance these chargers were coming down the pike for a while. 

The idea that they cut him as a PR move is secondary to them believing there was something to this and not a false accusation.  No one would have killed them for waiting for the justice system to play out and then cut him later, unless of course they worried he'd end up on the Commissioner's Exempt List (and there aren't exactly a lot of innocent people who have been placed on that).  

It's all probably secondary to his knee being spaghetti. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Totally come to the kneejerk defense of a pro athlete being charged for 5 crimes, all the time.  

He's a total saint, that Derrius Guice.  The Washington Football team cut an innocent man (a 2018 2nd round pick, no less).  Such a mistake, how dare they not do their research at all.  Don't they know what WE know, which is nothing yet???  Accuser must want that sweet, sweet rookie deal money!!1!1!

Why have a trial at all? We should just sentence him now. Hi livelihood is gone, that's nothing. His freedom needs to be tossed into the volcano immediately. 

Why don't we just do away with due process altogether for everything? Just let everyone know that someone has been accused of something and let the mob have their way with them. 

BTW, what is Believe All Women? Reasoned and measured? Not knee jerky in the least, amirite?