Gase presser/his deep love for Leveon

T0mShane

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gregg Williams and the injured and talent starved defense was the main reason the team did well at the end of the year.  Not the dead last in the league Gase lead offense.

If a company performed at the financial equivalent of going 6-2 during the second half of a fiscal year, people wouldn't be talking about how awful the CEO was and how the CFO was responsible for the company's success.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

40 minutes ago, MykePM said:

How about this for a standard to hold the team to?  I'd like the Jets to win 3/4 of their games.  And you know, what?  In the second half of last season, they did that.  They beat 6 out of the 7 teams that they (arguably) "should have" beat, and lost on the road to a team that went 14-2.  Those are actual results.

Selective results.

Ignoring the 1-7 results prior to that.  When the results actually mattered.

Do you really care about results?  Or just your perception of whether the team is actually playing well or not?

The last thing I care about is "perception", especially the perception of my fellow Jets Fans.

I care exclusively about results.  Not last year's, this years.  

Personally, if the Jets continue to win at a 6-2 rate, I could care less what their offensive rankings were, or what their strength of schedule was.

Sadly, you don't win at a 6-2 clip over an entire season and still rank badly in major things like "Offense", generally speaking.  So yeah, I care about offensive rankings too.

37 minutes ago, MykePM said:

If a company performed at the financial equivalent of going 6-2 during the second half of a fiscal year, people wouldn't be talking about how awful the CEO was and how the CFO was responsible for the company's success.

And that company would be just as deluded as to who really was responsible for success and would give the head guy a huge bonus and a pat on the head.  Especially if the CEO has had lousy results in the 4 years he has been in charge.

Adam Gase's whole claim to a job is that he is an offensive guru and in 4 years as a head coach he has been terrible.

The excuses for his poor results simply do not hold up because the DC faced the same lack of talent and injuries, but got results on that side of the ball.

What exactly  is an acceptable result for an offensive head coach on the offensive side of the ball I wonder?

The notion that Gase used Bell particularly poorly last year is pure moonshine. 

The run-blocking last year was beyond atrocious and they threw to him the ball when they actually had an NFL QB out there. 

The other problem was that Bell just didn't have any burst in the second half of the year. Every other running back on the roster looked more explosive. Let's be honest here. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

I don't want to belabor this, because lord knows this place has hashed this out all offseason.....

....so I'll just say this, no, I'm not a Darnold excuse maker in any form as my history shows I am equally a critic of him as I am of Gase.  Yes, 7 wins and bottom of the NFL is the production upon which I judge Gase.  Yes, he gets some slack because of a bad roster (that he in part was responsible for, he was GM for a spell himself remember).  And yes, he gets some slack because of Darnold's sickness, even so, his offense was putrid and ineffective bth while Darnold was gone and after he was back, compared to the rest of the NFL.    Gase has been a NFL HEad Coach for 4 years now, the "just is not out" on him, he has a resume now, and it's almost all the same, injuries to QB's, poor Offenses, fitting round pegs into his square hole, and bottom tier Offensive rankings and midlands record finishes.  

Yes, we'll all have to "wait and see" because none of us control the team.  But I'm not going to give a guy with a resume of failure an ineptitude and "bad luck" with his QB's health the benefit of the doubt till he earns it. 

And that late garage time run may be the single most over-rated thing in NY Jets Fan history IMO.  No, I'm not impressed, no I don't think it means piss all for 2020 and beyond, and no it really wasn't tat impressive given the competition.

But I'm easy to please:  Win 9 or more games, be top 10 in offense, and have Darnold play all 16 games and produce 4,000+ yards and a 2:1 TD:INT ration, and critics like me are silenced for the most part.  But you'll notice, none of the Gase supporters (and damn few of the Darnold supporters) want to hold anyone to standards yet.  Nope, it's all preemptive excuses for why we still suck and will suck in 2020, but definitely not because of Gase or Darnold, lol.

odds are  1) gase aint it

2) sam aint it

we've all pointed out that there are exceptions. 

general rule applies to both....    odds are they are not top notch.

we'll see

15 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Gase knows he’s only got Bell for another year. I expect he will be used more as a receiver this year.

He knows this how?

Bells contract allows us to get out of the deal.  If he has a Bell like year, why would we want to get out of it, we're not in cap hell.  

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

And that company would be just as deluded as to who really was responsible for success and would give the head guy a huge bonus and a pat on the head.  Especially if the CEO has had lousy results in the 4 years he has been in charge.

Who was really responsible for 6-2? 

Guess what, the 3 mediocre at worst record in Miami would have nothing to do with it.  

A lousy roster with holes everywhere in Miami, an injured starting QB most of the time, .500 record and the lousy results are on the HC.  Yeah, that CEO would get the pat on the head if he went 6-2 down the stretch. 

• Upvote 1

You can say a lot of negative things about Gase, but one thing you can't accuse  him of is lying to the media about his relationships with people outside of the public eye.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/10/adam-gase-pissed-off-over-reports-of-rift-with-gm-mike-maccagnan/

Adam Gase ‘pissed off’ over reports of rift with GM Mike Maccagnan

Edited by AFJF

Sadly, you don't win at a 6-2 clip over an entire season and still rank badly in major things like "Offense", generally speaking.  So yeah, I care about offensive rankings too.

But the fail is thinking offensive ranking is as or more important than wins, team moral, etc, etc for a HC.  Maybe an OC, but not a HC.  

What gets lost is this is a team most thought would win less that 7, that lost its QB and then its backup and was led to a 1-7 start with a 3rd and then 4th string practice squad QB and still wound up with more wins than predicted before the start of the season.  So with that QB situation, and the OL problems we should harp on the offensive rankings?  And blow off the 6-2 finish?

Dallas was one of if not the top offense for most of the season and won one more game than the Jets.  While playing in a horrific division.  Give them a cookie

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, AFJF said:

You can say a lot of negative things about Gase, but one thing you can't accuse  him of is lying to the media about his relationships with people outside of the public eye.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/10/adam-gase-pissed-off-over-reports-of-rift-with-gm-mike-maccagnan/

Adam Gase ‘pissed off’ over reports of rift with GM Mike Maccagnan

I presume Gase was “pissed off” that Maccagnan kept crying to Manish about Gase being mean to him. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

The notion that Gase used Bell particularly poorly last year is pure moonshine. 

The run-blocking last year was beyond atrocious and they threw to him the ball when they actually had an NFL QB out there. 

The other problem was that Bell just didn't have any burst in the second half of the year. Every other running back on the roster looked more explosive. Let's be honest here. 

But like, Gase just had a presser where he said he used him poorly.  Its like, the point of the thread and stuff. 

Crazy thought I know because JN loves to have 1 singular blame for everything that happens but it is possible that both Gase used Bell poorly and Bell wasnt himself toward the end of the season.  

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He knows this how?

Bells contract allows us to get out of the deal.  If he has a Bell like year, why would we want to get out of it, we're not in cap hell.  

Bell had 66 catches and despite the horrendous OL still had 800 yards rushing last year.  It's very possible he has a 1,000 yard season with 80 catches.  Why would you let that walk next year?   Age?  They just signed a legit dinosaur in Frank Gore.  If Bell bounces back, there is no reason not to keep him, they have one of best cap situations in the league. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Bell had 66 catches and despite the horrendous OL still had 800 yards rushing last year.  It's very possible he has a 1,000 yard season with 80 catches.  Why would you let that walk next year?   Age?  They just signed a legit dinosaur in Frank Gore.  If Bell bounces back, there is no reason not to keep him, they have one of best cap situations in the league. 

I wouldn’t be averse to re-signing him, but he’d be on the books for $13.5 and then $15 the following year, when he’s 30. Tough to pay a 30 year old back top of market money because he puts up 1,000 yards when he’s 28. If Bell wants that kind of loot, he needs to be a top three back next season. 1200+, 80 catches, 10+ TDs

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

People have confused his contract is easier to dump after year two with hes gone after year two.

The guy, if he isnt done as a runner, with his ability to catch out of the backfield, can be a weapon.  A weapon few have.  

Lets see what he does with a decent or better OL before writing him off.  What the hell we paid him last year and got little back given the braindead idea that all you need is the back, the OL isnt important if you have one

I guess thats similar to all you need is a 21 year old FQB, you dont need an OL, WRs etc.

Macc 

• Upvote 1

Ignoring the 1-7 results prior to that.  When the results actually mattered.

Telling on yourself here. 1-7 “mattered” because you hated the Gase hire and 1-7 was vindication. 6-2 “didn’t matter” because it didn’t conform to your priors. 

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I wouldn’t be averse to re-signing him, but he’d be on the books for $13.5 and then $15 the following year, when he’s 30. Tough to pay a 30 year old back top of market money because he puts up 1,000 yards when he’s 28. If Bell wants that kind of loot, he needs to be a top three back next season. 1200+, 80 catches, 10+ TDs

If Bell gets 1,000 yards and 80 catches, it's worth every penny of that salary, IMO.  That type of statistical years, you would only assume, will tremendously help Sam Darnold and the offense in general.   Not sure you can put a value on that.  Granted if you're able to land Entennie in the draft, then we're talking different but Bell's salary doesnt hurt the Jets, especially if he produces that like, I'd imagine you see him again in 2021.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

If Bell gets 1,000 yards and 80 catches, it's worth every penny of that salary, IMO.  That type of statistical years, you would only assume, will tremendously help Sam Darnold and the offense in general.   Not sure you can put a value on that.  Granted if you're able to land Entennie in the draft, then we're talking different but Bell's salary doesnt hurt the Jets, especially if he produces that like, I'd imagine you see him again in 2021.

But let’s say the line is better this year and Darnold isn’t as mushy. You could feasibly get 1,000/60/8 from Perine under those conditions. Hard to give away $30 million over two years when the minimum-wage replacement can get you similar production. Bell has been great (as far as we know) off the field, but he looked super-washed on the field. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

But let’s say the line is better this year and Darnold isn’t as mushy. You could feasibly get 1,000/60/8 from Perine under those conditions. Hard to give away $30 million over two years when the minimum-wage replacement can get you similar production. Bell has been great (as far as we know) off the field, but he looked super-washed on the field. 

Yeah, I think that's wishful thinking.  I like Perrine, he's a fine player.  I highly highly highly doubt he ever sniffs anything like that in his career.  He never sniffed those types of numbers in college.  People forget, Bell was a monster in college too.  Him taking the league by storm wasnt shocking, Perine doing it, would be shocking.

I disagree he looked super washed.  I dont think people realize that he's never been this huge burner with an amazing burst, he's a patient power runner who never goes backward and has better hands than any receiver on the team.  I think he can still be that...

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

it's hard to see bell on the jets next year.  the only way i can see it, is if the jets really improve this year, sneak into the playoffs, and then load up on FAs next season and make a real run at it.  this, and if bell plays well this year, then i can see bell sticking around for one real go at it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

But the fail is thinking offensive ranking is as or more important than wins

No, the fail is thinking Offensive production (and Defensive) does not have a direct relationship to wins.

, team moral,

Remind me, how do you score or quantify or evaluate "team morale" exactly? 

Sounds to me like that's touchy feely foolishness, not an actual meaningful thing, that fans can actually see or evaluate.

etc, etc for a HC.  Maybe an OC, but not a HC.  

Same thing when discussing Gase.  Please, lets not pretend Dowell Loggains is anything more than Gase's dogsbody.

And blow off the 6-2 finish?

Yes, as stated in the earlier post, it's not as impressive or meaningful as some of you want think, and means absolutely nothing for 2020 and beyond.  It was a few wins vs. horrible (worse than us) and resting and injured teams in true unquestionable garbage time.

Why is it that the most homer optimist fans are also the ones who refuse to set expectations?  You think that 6-2 is so great, you think Darnold is so great, ok, where is the expectation for 9+ wins and a 4,000+ yard passing season then?  Neither is an unreasonable number for a decent NFL team/QB.

But no, you want to have your cake and eat it too, you wax poetic about how Gase was Coach of the Year and Darnold elite during that special, unforgettable 6-2 run, best ever!  But when directly confronted about 2020, nope, no expectations for wins, no expectations for offense, no expectations for Darnold passing production.  Sounds to me like that optimism is pretty faux.  What about all that "team morale"?

It's why it's very hard to take some of you all's views seriously.  If you REALLY believed what you say about that 6-2 run, you'd have high hopes (AND expectations) of the materially improved 2020 roster and team.  But no.....of course not, no. :-k

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Adam Gase's whole claim to a job is that he is an offensive guru and in 4 years as a head coach he has been terrible.

The excuses for his poor results simply do not hold up because the DC faced the same lack of talent and injuries, but got results on that side of the ball.

What exactly  is an acceptable result for an offensive head coach on the offensive side of the ball I wonder?

First off, I'm not sold on Gase at all. But in my mind the jury's still out. The reason being that Gase has been a head coach for two miserable, poorly run, talent starved organizations. There might be some evidence that he learned something from his time with the fish by the way he managed to hijack the football team here before he ever coached a down. 

I feel very good about Joe Douglas, and I feel that while Joe D isn't married to Gase, he's happy to work with him and help him build a team in their shared vision. That carries a little weight with me. 

And I think we have to say that the Jets defense had much more talent on it than the offense last year. The Jets have been drafting defense for the last decade with virtually ignoring the OL and WR groups, and it became painfully obvious. Gase simply had less to work with than Williams, and then his QB got mono. 

As for the finish last year, I get that it was largely against tomato cans and that their two losses came against previously winless teams. That has to temper a lot of the enthusiasm (*cough* @SAR I *cough*) about that finish, but also I don't think even the most optimistic fans here expected that 1-7 football team to finish 6-2. I don't think fans of the teams the Jets beat thought their team was going to lose to the Jets, either. That was a good head coaching job to keep that team together with their biggest defensive star crying about (not) being traded, and their most expensive acquisition running like his feet were in quicksand. 

Sam and the offense has to take a big jump this year. If they don't, Joe Douglas will have to have some meetings with the owner of the day to discuss what they're going to do at HC and QB going forward. That's what we're looking at. It'll suck if Sam's not the guy, but I won't be upset if they decide that Gase isn't. 

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

I don't think those numbers would be good enough to hold onto him at his current cost. I think they brought Gore in to help teach Perine how to be a pro, and that the team will fill out a RB by committee next year with a reasonably priced vet and another draft pick. I don't think Gase wants a bell cow. I think he'd prefer a rotation of fresh legs, sticking with the hot hand should one of them get hot. 

Of course, I could be projecting, because that's my preference, too. But that would go along with things I've read about Gase. And I also don't see Joe Douglas as a guy who builds his team around lesser valued positions. He thinks he has his QB, he drafted OT, WR, and Edge with three of his first four picks. I think he gets positional value. 

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

No, the fail is thinking Offensive production (and Defensive) does not have a direct relationship to wins.

Really?  The Ravens back in the day won a SB without a real offense.  Not the first time.  Also, no matter how many different ways you can toss aside the fact that hes had his QBs out an ungodly amount of time, you refuse to even consider that it could have effected this offenses.  

Remind me, how do you score or quantify or evaluate "team morale" exactly? 

Sounds to me like that's touchy feely foolishness, not an actual meaningful thing, that fans can actually see or evaluate.

Pretty simple to judge.  Teams that start out 1-7, who have lost games because their QB is out, their backup QB goes on in a half, their 3rd string is horrific and are onto their 4th string, practice squad QB usually quit.  Going 6-2, not giving up proves it simply and is the way the team and Gase should be evaluated.  In fact its pretty much how everyone outside of a few fans have evaluated Gases first season

Same thing when discussing Gase.  Please, lets not pretend Dowell Loggains is anything more than Gase's dogsbody.

HC has a lot more responsibilities than an OC.  He has a lot more issues to take his time from game planning and working exclusively with the offense.  You just throw out the "pretend Dowell Loggains is anything more than Gases dogsbody" as if you or any of us has a clue what and how their responsibilities are divided.  Tell us what you know as fact how they are?  I dont know, maybe I missed it

Yes, as stated in the earlier post, it's not as impressive or meaningful as some of you want think, and means absolutely nothing for 2020 and beyond.  It was a few wins vs. horrible (worse than us) and resting and injured teams in true unquestionable garbage time.

Most wins in the NFL come against teams not as good as your team.  Nothing new here.  They did beat Dallas, Oakland and Pittsburgh, all teams I would call better than us. Thats the usual season, beat the teams youre better than, win a few against better than you.  Hold the losses to teams you should beat and youre doing ok. 

Why is it that the most homer optimist fans are also the ones who refuse to set expectations?  You think that 6-2 is so great, you think Darnold is so great, ok, where is the expectation for 9+ wins and a 4,000+ yard passing season then?  Neither is an unreasonable number for a decent NFL team/QB.

Because theyre pointless and mean nothing more than setting yourself up to fail?  You keep saying we have to be top 15, Darnold needs to reach goals no Jets QB has ever reached as if we should expect those numbers on a young team developing.  4K is reasonable?  For a decent NFL QB?  With less than 2 years exp?  No its not.

But no, you want to have your cake and eat it too, you wax poetic about how Gase was Coach of the Year and Darnold elite during that special, unforgettable 6-2 run, best ever!  But when directly confronted about 2020, nope, no expectations for wins, no expectations for offense, no expectations for Darnold passing production.  Sounds to me like that optimism is pretty faux.  What about all that "team morale"?

How do I want to have my cake and eat it too?  Wax poetic?  I called Gase coach of the year?  Darnold elite?  "The 6-2 run the best ever!"  The over the top BS over things I never, ever said may work for you but it kind is silly and really, arent you better than that line of shlt to make some kind of point?  So again, I never said anything you accused me of so where does "you want to have your cake and eat it too" fit in????

What does not playing your game of calling "homer optimist fans" out to make predictions, better yet to agree that your lofty goals have to be met have to do with anything of consequence?  Darnold throws 3900 yards and we win who cares?  Sanchez threw for 2400 and 3200 yards and we went to back to back CGs.  

It's why it's very hard to take some of you all's views seriously.  If you REALLY believed what you say about that 6-2 run, you'd have high hopes (AND expectations) of the materially improved 2020 roster and team.  But no.....of course not, no. :-k

You dont have to take anything I believe seriously.  You dont have to agree with a single point.  Theyre my opinions.  At least Im looking at the whole picture and basing my opinions on sound reasoning.  I dont have to prove my conviction by making predictions on numbers for a season.  

BTW, you've done nothing but run your mouth calling others out to make predictions, have posted numbers you think have to be reached and that we have to find reachable if what we believe in Sams talent or if we dont blame the world and cancer on Gase.  I havent read a single prediction in your posts.  

Having your cake and eating it too?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

First off, I'm not sold on Gase at all. But in my mind the jury's still out. The reason being that Gase has been a head coach for two miserable, poorly run, talent starved organizations. There might be some evidence that he learned something from his time with the fish by the way he managed to hijack the football team here before he ever coached a down. 

I feel very good about Joe Douglas, and I feel that while Joe D isn't married to Gase, he's happy to work with him and help him build a team in their shared vision. That carries a little weight with me. 

And I think we have to say that the Jets defense had much more talent on it than the offense last year. The Jets have been drafting defense for the last decade with virtually ignoring the OL and WR groups, and it became painfully obvious. Gase simply had less to work with than Williams, and then his QB got mono. 

As for the finish last year, I get that it was largely against tomato cans and that their two losses came against previously winless teams. That has to temper a lot of the enthusiasm (*cough* @SAR I *cough*) about that finish, but also I don't think even the most optimistic fans here expected that 1-7 football team to finish 6-2. I don't think fans of the teams the Jets beat thought their team was going to lose to the Jets, either. That was a good head coaching job to keep that team together with their biggest defensive star crying about (not) being traded, and their most expensive acquisition running like his feet were in quicksand. 

Sam and the offense has to take a big jump this year. If they don't, Joe Douglas will have to have some meetings with the owner of the day to discuss what they're going to do at HC and QB going forward. That's what we're looking at. It'll suck if Sam's not the guy, but I won't be upset if they decide that Gase isn't. 

Very good post.  I think we've seen that Gase can't really elevate a crappy team (losing is one thing but not being competitive is another story).  But let's see what he can do with a team that actually is reasonably well balanced (assuming our rebuilt OL holds up and our WRs are at least halfway decent).

What if I told you everyone is looking at this incorrectly. The people trying to put more weight in the first half results and those trying to do the second half. Basically he coached last year's roster to an about even record. If you think the roster last year was pretty bad, that's not too shabby. If you thought it was adequate then he didn't add much. If you think it was above average or good then he sucked. Either way we'll see this year. But selectively using either half is dumb statistically speaking.

Also should we take away the losses when the our third string QB was playing or only the wins we got against a 3rd string QB. Just take them at face value if you're trying to look at this somewhat objectively. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I don't think those numbers would be good enough to hold onto him at his current cost. I think they brought Gore in to help teach Perine how to be a pro, and that the team will fill out a RB by committee next year with a reasonably priced vet and another draft pick. I don't think Gase wants a bell cow. I think he'd prefer a rotation of fresh legs, sticking with the hot hand should one of them get hot. 

Of course, I could be projecting, because that's my preference, too. But that would go along with things I've read about Gase. And I also don't see Joe Douglas as a guy who builds his team around lesser valued positions. He thinks he has his QB, he drafted OT, WR, and Edge with three of his first four picks. I think he gets positional value. 

I think it depends on how it impacts Sam and the offense.  If Bell puts up those numbers and suddenly you're a top 10 offense, you want to move on next year and just hope to replicate the production because you have a theory that you hope works?  Seems like a very silly thing to do that could backfire badly. 

And if that plays out and they keep Bell, IMO that dosent mean you're building around him.  You're still building around Sam, you're just keeping his best weapon.  

57 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Just FYI, when you reply like that, this (above) is what attempting to quote you and reply results in.

I'd love to reply to your points, but I'm not going to spend the time to copy and paste fix your post to a way it can be properly responded to, sorry mate.

the jets have one legit proven guy on their entire offense and that is bell but yet the jets coach could not figure out how to use him. Some will look to blame Sam or the line but the blame is on the coach who has a history of running a bad offense in this league and using his rbs poorly-he had no clue what he had in drake who looked damn good with the cardinals last year

So you think I am being too critical on our coach who ran one of the worst offenses in the league last year well even he knows he sucked

Adam Gase admitted he did a 'bad job' utilizing Le'Veon Bell early on in 2019. I was really trying to get him going. At the same time, teams kind of knew what we were doing and they were loading up the box and he was taking some shots, Adam Gase. Bell only rushed for 789 yards on 245 attempts, scoring just three touchdowns on the ground. He caught 66 passes for 461 yards and a touchdown, but his 78 targets were his lowest since his rookie year

The strength of the team last year was the defense -the offense was offensive-now losing two of the top talents on defense the offense will need to perform at much higher level this year.  Lets see if Gase learned anything from his terrrible offense last year. My guess is he will once again misuse Bell and we will be seeing lots of Gore 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kmnj said:

the jets have one legit proven guy on their entire offense and that is bell but yet the jets coach could not figure out how to use him. Some will look to blame Sam or the line but the blame is on the coach who has a history of running a bad offense in this league and using his rbs poorly-he had no clue what he had in drake who looked damn good with the cardinals last year

So you think I am being too critical on our coach who ran one of the worst offenses in the league last year well even he knows he sucked

Adam Gase admitted he did a 'bad job' utilizing Le'Veon Bell early on in 2019. I was really trying to get him going. At the same time, teams kind of knew what we were doing and they were loading up the box and he was taking some shots, Adam Gase. Bell only rushed for 789 yards on 245 attempts, scoring just three touchdowns on the ground. He caught 66 passes for 461 yards and a touchdown, but his 78 targets were his lowest since his rookie year

The strength of the team last year was the defense -the offense was offensive-now losing two of the top talents on defense the offense will need to perform at much higher level this year.  Lets see if Gase learned anything from his terrrible offense last year. My guess is he will once again misuse Bell and we will be seeing lots of Gore 

i fail to see how by this admission gase knows he is a bad coach.  he was coaching a team in transition with a whole pile of injuries plus talent gaps in key areas.  moreover, bell, by his own admission, came back after a long lay off and that impaired his running ability.  it takes time.  if anything gase's first season as jets coach underscores how bad the personnel that mac brought in is.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think it depends on how it impacts Sam and the offense.  If Bell puts up those numbers and suddenly you're a top 10 offense, you want to move on next year and just hope to replicate the production because you have a theory that you hope works?  Seems like a very silly thing to do that could backfire badly. 

And if that plays out and they keep Bell, IMO that dosent mean you're building around him.  You're still building around Sam, you're just keeping his best weapon.  

I'm down to keep Bell beyond 2020 if he performs, but not at his cap number.  Just because we have money to spend doesn't mean you burn it unnecessarily.  That was a Macc deal through and through and we need to get out of it.

Cut Bell and then bring him back on a deal that makes sense OR find a way to restructure the deal.  Those are the only 2 options I would consider.  Bringing him back at his current numbers when the team doesn't have to makes zero sense.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm down to keep Bell beyond 2020 if he performs, but not at his cap number.  Just because we have money to spend doesn't mean you burn it unnecessarily.  That was a Macc deal through and through and we need to get out of it.

Cut Bell and then bring him back on a deal that makes sense OR find a way to restructure the deal.  Those are the only 2 options I would consider.  Bringing him back at his current numbers when the team doesn't have to makes zero sense.  

If Bell goes 1,000+/80+/10+ - what type of monies is he worth?