Blind Spots

BettyBoop

It seems that for many years Jets management (i.e., GMs) have had blind spots in building their teams.  Idzik's blind spot was he simply didn't know anything about football and it doesn't take an NFL insider to know that Maccagnan's blind spot was the offensive line.  It was criminal the way he ignored the position for so many years.  He blew countless draft picks on certain positions (e.g., DL, S) and wads of cash on high priced free agents while virtually ignoring the most important position needed to protect his crowned jewel (Sam Darnold).  We all know how that worked out.

It appeared that Douglas was taking the right approach in fixing that problem when he signed solid, if not spectacular, offensive linemen and used his first round pick on a LT.  Good approach.  However, at least for now, it seems Douglas may have his own blind spot.  It certainly isn't his fault that so many WR are getting hurt but the reality is he didn't provide NFL caliber players backups to Perriman, Mims and Crowder.  

Douglas may be a victim of circumstances (best case scenario) or may have a blind spot of his own (G-d forbid).  We shall see.

• Thumb Down 9

4 minutes ago, xboxjets said:

I don't know if I would call that his blindside just yet. It doesn't make sense to bring in big ticket Free agents especially with all the uncertainity this year and a potential cap reduction next year. I think next step would be to see if any wrs get cut in the next few days.

Plus with having only one true offseason under his belt, I think Douglas has done a tremendous job addressing weak areas in the team. Literally almost every position lol.

Good post.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I refer you to this list of 2020 FA WRs:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

Who exactly was on that list that you think we should have signed to have improved our roster this year?

We replaced Robby with Perriman at half the Guaranteed money.  Maybe we could have kept Robby and still signed Perriman but they are similar players so that doesn't seem to make much sense.  

Maybe you like Cobb or Sanders enough to gripe about not going after those guys, but it's not a glaring whiff IMO.

I've spoken before about the Hopkins trade.  I would have jumped at the chance to send them a similar package to what ARI gave them, but 30 other teams didn't do it either so there may have been other circumstances we just don't know about that made that deal unworkable for the Jets.  

Other than that, I just don't see what JD should have done to have improved the situation.  He brought in Perriman, drafted Mims, signed or traded for a few other guys like Doctson (opted out), Hogan (who may be decent for us), Moncrief, and the two big UDFAs (Cager and Campbell).

Injuries really hurt the unit, but this was absolutely NOTHING like what Maccagnan did with the OL where he just didn't draft or sign anyone except in total desperation (Kalil).  

Bad results don't always imply bad planning or execution.  Sometimes you just get snakebit.  Now if it happens again next year, I'll have a much different story to tell.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

They can either judge talent or they can't.  Maccagnan was our GM from 2015 through 2019.  Five offseasons.  He did not get his "crowned jewel" until 2018.  His "blind spot" was not exactly relevant to the failure of this team until he got a QB and it isn't exactly a foregone conclusion that we have one.  Douglas seems okay.  I don't see how you can blame him for not loading up on top WR.  If Perriman and/or Doctson end up approaching the value or their draft position or Mims is as good as we all hoped pre-draft I wouldn't say that he had a blind spot.  If they are the kind of sh*t we have had around we have a problem.  

• Upvote 1

No one has any idea about football this year.  People need to realize this and stop trying

to come up with deep analysis.  Everyone is "blind" and the first 4-6 weeks are going to be

an absolute roll of the dice

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I refer you to this list of 2020 FA WRs:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/

Who exactly was on that list that you think we should have signed to have improved our roster this year?

We replaced Robby with Perriman at half the Guaranteed money.  Maybe we could have kept Robby and still signed Perriman but they are similar players so that doesn't seem to make much sense.  

Maybe you like Cobb or Sanders enough to gripe about not going after those guys, but it's not a glaring whiff IMO.

I've spoken before about the Hopkins trade.  I would have jumped at the chance to send them a similar package to what ARI gave them, but 30 other teams didn't do it either so there may have been other circumstances we just don't know about that made that deal unworkable for the Jets.  

Other than that, I just don't see what JD should have done to have improved the situation.  He brought in Perriman, drafted Mims, signed or traded for a few other guys like Doctson (opted out), Hogan (who may be decent for us), Moncrief, and the two big UDFAs (Cager and Campbell).

Injuries really hurt the unit, but this was absolutely NOTHING like what Maccagnan did with the OL where he just didn't draft or sign anyone except in total desperation (Kalil).  

Bad results don't always imply bad planning or execution.  Sometimes you just get snakebit.  Now if it happens again next year, I'll have a much different story to tell.

as i posted in another thread, i think the only, or main, decision that may have hurt the offense is the swap of anderson for perriman.  it doesn't look too promising that perriman's knee swelling won't subside.  i suspect we'll get back mims and berrios for the opener.  

the thing is, after your top guys get hurt, most teams have the same level of wr talent, b/c these guys are also special teamers who earn roster spots doing things besides just catching.  they're the replaceable ones.  it's the good ones who aren't.  we overreact to jag wrs gettign hurt b/c we haven't had real good wrs here in a while.  maybe mims becomes one.  

truth, if the OL is better than last year, we should see improvement from darnold just for this reason.  i think that's more what douglas is evaluating.  if darnold is truly the guy, the offense will improve, and it will improve that much more when they get healthier and better weapons next offseason. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

With this organization, the thread would barely fill one page. 

We can probably do 10 pages on Ron Wolf alone.  The guy was certainly successful enough, but when he was pro personnel director they had the whole Favre debacle, where he and Dick Steinberg had Favre #1 on their board, but had no 1st because they burned it for Rob Moore because they couldn't sign Reggie Rembert.  Wolf is a HOF personnel guy, but Mo Lewis is probably the only player they got that year.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

We can probably do 10 pages on Ron Wolf alone.  The guy was certainly successful enough, but when he was pro personnel director they had the whole Favre debacle, where he and Dick Steinberg had Favre #1 on their board, but had no 1st because they burned it for Rob Moore because they couldn't sign Reggie Rembert.  Wolf is a HOF personnel guy, but Mo Lewis is probably the only player they got that year.

Fair but Wolf was never our GM. 

1 hour ago, BettyBoop said:

It seems that for many years Jets management (i.e., GMs) have had blind spots in building their teams.  Idzik's blind spot was he simply didn't know anything about football and it doesn't take an NFL insider to know that Maccagnan's blind spot was the offensive line.  It was criminal the way he ignored the position for so many years.  He blew countless draft picks on certain positions (e.g., DL, S) and wads of cash on high priced free agents while virtually ignoring the most important position needed to protect his crowned jewel (Sam Darnold).  We all know how that worked out.

It appeared that Douglas was taking the right approach in fixing that problem when he signed solid, if not spectacular, offensive linemen and used his first round pick on a LT.  Good approach.  However, at least for now, it seems Douglas may have his own blind spot.  It certainly isn't his fault that so many WR are getting hurt but the reality is he didn't provide NFL caliber players backups to Perriman, Mims and Crowder.  

Douglas may be a victim of circumstances (best case scenario) or may have a blind spot of his own (G-d forbid).  We shall see.

so just what is his blind spot?  i seems like you are implying wr's but it's hard to tell.  plus he did use the jets second round pick on a receiver.  and while there are receivers like antonio brown they're mostly a bunch of prima donnas or want too much or are on the back side of their careers to really help the team.  and if mims and smith weren't injured maybe we don't worry about this position so much.

2 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

Can we for once just wait until we know we suck at a position before we complain  about it? 

22 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Do you know a lot of teams who have NFL quality depth in their number 4, 5 and 6 receivers?

If Cooper and Lamb got hurt dallas would have Gallup (similar to Crowder) and then what?

If the colts lost TY and then Pittman who would they trot out?

Teams have injuries and what we should be focused on is hoping that the team sees the weakness and is moving Mims along slowly so the hamstring doesn't linger all season and is holding perriman out purposefully as he is a veteran and its a LOT more important he practices during install next Tues-Sat then it is rushing him back today.

JD could have paid Robby and signed perriman but he didnt.  Instead he got a great draft value in Mims, signed a veteran in Perriman and when his young players in Vincent Smith, Jeff Smith, and Cager got hurt he signed veteran stop gaps who are at least experienced enough to play small roles the first couple weeks of the year.

Not sure what else people want from the guy

The Colts have Paris Campbell, last year's second round pick, Zach Pascal who caught 41 passes last year and Marcus Johnson who had 17 receptions.  In addition, Dezmon Patmon, sixth round pick (#212!), is having a really good camp.

For my money, I would have re-signed Robby AND signed Perriman.  Just because they're similar doesn't mean you can't use two of them.

Gabriel Davis is having a great Bills camp.  He was selected four picks after Captain Morgen in round four.

12 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

The Colts have Paris Campbell, last year's second round pick, Zach Pascal who caught 41 passes last year and Marcus Johnson who had 17 receptions.  In addition, Dezmon Patmon, sixth round pick (#212!), is having a really good camp.

For my money, I would have re-signed Robby AND signed Perriman.  Just because they're similar doesn't mean you can't use two of them.

Gabriel Davis is having a great Bills camp.  He was selected four picks after Captain Morgen in round four.

And yet, even if we'd brought back Robby Anderson and also drafted Gabriel Davis, the WR group would still suck.

This is a Mike Maccagnan induced problem.  Not really a Joe Douglas problem.

Go start your next stream of consciousness thread.  

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Larz said:

Didn't he draft mims?

And sign Cager as UDFA who looks good and then bring in Hogan and Moncrief for some depth. 

The notion that Douglas was going to fix this entire roster after 1 draft and 1 offseason is comical.  Aside from Douglas not seeming like the type to overpay for marginal talent, there weren't too many talented WRs on the market. 

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, BettyBoop said:

However, at least for now, it seems Douglas may have his own blind spot.

1. Can't fix everything in one off-season, and we had serious needs at multiple positions.

2. Can't predict injuries.

3. Perriman, Crowder, Mims, Berrios, Hogan, Cager, Moncrief, Herndon, Griffin, Bell, Gore, Perine is a perfectly acceptable talent-group, all things considered.

4. Perhaps we should play a few games and see what our Elite Franchise QB can do with this group before we declare Douglas a blind-spot-hav'in failure as a GM.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet, even if we'd brought back Robby Anderson and also drafted Gabriel Davis, the WR group would still suck.

This is a Mike Maccagnan induced problem.  Not really a Joe Douglas problem.

Go start your next stream of consciousness thread.  

Nonsense.  The group would be NFL caliber.  And if Douglas signed Emmanuel Sanders it would have been even better.

"Signing WR Emmanuel Sanders named best move of the Saints offseason"...Saints Wire

"Saints WR Emmanuel Sanders projected to catch 50-plus passes in 2020"...Saints Wire

"Saints’ Emmanuel Sanders has better match-ups than any other elite WR"...Who Dat Dish

21 hours ago, BCJet said:

Do you know a lot of teams who have NFL quality depth in their number 4, 5 and 6 receivers?

If Cooper and Lamb got hurt dallas would have Gallup (similar to Crowder) and then what?

If the colts lost TY and then Pittman who would they trot out?

Teams have injuries and what we should be focused on is hoping that the team sees the weakness and is moving Mims along slowly so the hamstring doesn't linger all season and is holding perriman out purposefully as he is a veteran and its a LOT more important he practices during install next Tues-Sat then it is rushing him back today.

JD could have paid Robby and signed perriman but he didnt.  Instead he got a great draft value in Mims, signed a veteran in Perriman and when his young players in Vincent Smith, Jeff Smith, and Cager got hurt he signed veteran stop gaps who are at least experienced enough to play small roles the first couple weeks of the year.

Not sure what else people want from the guy

I 100% agree. I get that the Jets don't have top quality WR depth. I get that they don't have a true #1 or a Pro Bowl WR. But Their depth under JD is much like that of a lot of other teams in the sense that if they were to lose their top 2 WRs, they would be in trouble. 

This year in particular its clear that JD decided to focus on the O-line. Which makes complete sense because you have to protect Sam before loading up on weapons. So the WR core is underwhelming, even if healthy. But he's only had one draft and is also clearly setting himself up for next year by clearing cap and trading for draft assets.   

33 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right because WR2/WR3 Robby Anderson and his 54 % career catch rate and 1-2 capable routes are super helpful/valuable, and rookie midround WRs always have immediate success.

Anderson (who takes the top off a defense) playing next to Emmanuel Sanders (who would catch 80+ passes with the Jets) would be a pretty decent pair.  This entire board would be excited at that prospect.

Interesting how you can get excited about an UDFA WR but minimize a 4th round pick does not.

5 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

Anderson (who takes the top off a defense) playing next to Emmanuel Sanders (who would catch 80+ passes with the Jets) would be a pretty decent pair.  This entire board would be excited at that prospect.

Interesting how you can get excited about an UDFA WR but minimize a 4th round pick does not.

You mean like Robby Anderson once was a UDFA?

When was Emmanuel Sanders ever a possibility to be a Jet?  lol.  He signed almost immediately with New Orleans to go try to win another ring.  0 % chance he could have ended up here.

Robby Anderson doesn't actually "take the top off" of defenses.  He is not a WR1, and not worth the $12M he's getting from the Panthers.  

• Upvote 2