Conversation with Kenny Stills (Gase Mentioned) *Warning* It doesn't fit your narrative

choon328

AS WF stated, "Wins, Losses and Production."   I don't give a rats ass about his  idiosyncrasies, his bulging eyes, his detest for RC, whatever.  Coach the team to wins...  If the team loses to a better team, then that is ok... but if the team is dysfunctional during a game (like O disappearing or quarters in FB game)  then,  I got a problem with him.  Enough said.   

59 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

If that’s what you’re going with, it doesn’t defeat it, it offers a differing account from most others. It’s literally the exception to the rule.

Well since people have been using Stills as an example of a player who hated Gase then it does defeat it in this instance

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

And how would you or I know if it's "having an effect" then and what that effect is?

Hint:  We can't,  We have no way, as fans, to know or to judge "respect" of a Coach by the players in any real way.  No, hater and fluff articles are not a valid evaluation tool of "respect"

So again, we're back to:  Wins.  Losses.  Production.

That is what matters.

Not the point of knowing the actual number of wins resulting in a HC being respected.  the point is its part of the equation and we know without any respect its a hard road to get a team to play hard week to week.  So its not just fluff every time theres an article contradicting a possible personality flaw.  

SO again, I'm back to:  Wins.  Losses.  Production. Who said it doesnt matter.  You say its all that matters but you dont think this is an important aspect of coaching and winning etc.  Well thats your opinion, I cant agree.  

Thing is there is no down side if Im the one who's wrong.  

4 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

You must be kidding

Actually, I'm not.  

Im not kidding or the one trying to make the claim that he sulks through press conferences.  Gase probably been up 12 hours or more hours, more than likely just watched his team lose, a team with a large number of players missing and youre expecting something up beat, jovial and happy?  Because what, thats what other HC do after losses?  

Really?

Thats on you.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually, I'm not.  

Im not kidding or the one trying to make the claim that he sulks through press conferences.  Gase probably been up 12 hours or more hours, more than likely just watched his team lose, a team with a large number of players missing and youre expecting something up beat, jovial and happy?  Because what, thats what other HC do after losses?  

Really?

Thats on you.

He should man up. Loss on him, not me. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Not the point of knowing the actual number of wins resulting in a HC being respected.  the point is its part of the equation and we know without any respect its a hard road to get a team to play hard week to week.  So its not just fluff every time theres an article contradicting a possible personality flaw.  

It's fluff because it's unknowable.  It's a "soft" skill, one the organization itself, much less the fans, cannot (and do not) measure.  It makes for cute offseason articles, and that's about it.  

SO again, I'm back to:  Wins.  Losses.  Production. Who said it doesnt matter.  You say its all that matters but you dont think this is an important aspect of coaching and winning etc.  Well thats your opinion, I cant agree.  

Lets test the theory:  If Gase is deeply and unrelentingly respected by all his players.....and his team goes 0-16 in 2020 and 2021, will he have a job as an NFL Head Coach in 2022 because of all that respect?

If the answer is no, then I'm right.  If the answer is yes, you're right.

Thing is there is no down side if Im the one who's wrong.  

No downside either way really, it's all theory talk, counting angels on heads of pins, etc.

End of the day, what we think means little.  If he wins, he'll get to keep Coaching.  If he doesn't, all the deepest player respect in the world won;t save his job.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's fluff because it's unknowable.  It's a "soft" skill, one the organization itself, much less the fans, cannot (and do not) measure.  It makes for cute offseason articles, and that's about it.  

Lets test the theory:  If Gase is deeply and unrelentingly respected by all his players.....and his team goes 0-16 in 2020 and 2021, will he have a job as an NFL Head Coach in 2022 because of all that respect?

No downside either way really, it's all theory talk, counting angels on heads of pins, etc.

End of the day, what we think means little.  If he wins, he'll get to keep Coaching.  If he doesn't, all the deepest player respect in the world won;t save his job.

Is it really this complicated?

Youre seriously going to argue that players play the same for a HC they hate, dont respect as they do for someone they love, have confidence in, respect and believe in? 

All I said was it can be a part of Ws & Ls.  

Come on

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Is it really this complicated?

Youre seriously going to argue that players play the same for a HC they hate, dont respect as they do for someone they love, have confidence in, respect and believe in? 

All I said was it can be a part of Ws & Ls.  

Come on

If he wins, he'll get to keep Coaching.  If he doesn't, all the deepest player respect in the world won;t save his job.

On 9/6/2020 at 9:35 AM, T0mShane said:

On a serious note, it really sounds like Gase has turned a corner somewhere along the way, and he’s not nearly as combative. Good to see. Maybe those lonely simp fans who need their coaches to also be their pretend friends will chill out a little bit.

Or flatline personality types are attracted to same.

On 9/6/2020 at 9:35 AM, Warfish said:

Gase isn't my uncle or friend or mentor. 

He's the Head Coach of my favorite football team.

Wins.  Losses.  Production.

That is what matters.  All that matters.

Yeah, **** that guy right. Granted, that you historically have possessed such empathy and interpersonal awareness that the point probably flew right over you, but it’s typically a strong motivator when leadership demonstrates a real understanding of their people’s history and struggles. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Perhaps it doesn’t fit a narrative because it has nothing to do with Gase’s criticisms: that his career to date as an OC and a HC are absolutely atrocious without Peyton Manning as his QB.

IINM he OC’ed a solid Chicago offense with Cutler for one season. 

23 hours ago, SAR I said:

Gase is a great head coach.  Perhaps he's not a great offensive coordinator, but that doesn't matter, coordinators are dime a dozen.  Great head coaches, impossible to find.

SAR I

Hopefully he’s a great HC some day. Not quite in Canton as of yet. This Jets gig is likely his last opportunity as a NFL HC ... with 2020 potentially his end if the Jets embarrass. 

Truly great coordinators are also, pedestrian coordinators dime a dozen. You can spend a year as a Buddhist mountaineer and get a coordinator gig (Jeremy Bates). 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

If he goes 0-16 he sucks as a coach and still can have all the respect from his players.  Youre confusing that total disrespect can lead to losses, not that if hes respected it means wins.  

Its not that hard.  

11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If he goes 0-16 he sucks as a coach and still can have all the respect from his players.  Youre confusing that total disrespect can lead to losses, not that if hes respected it means wins.  

Its not that hard.  

I'm not confusing anything old friend.

There are things I care about:  Like wins.  Division titles.  And Super Bowls.  

There are things I don't care about:  Like media-department type puff pieces about Coaches being "loved" or "respected".  That kind of sh*t is for also-rans to feel better about being also-rans.  It's feel good when the team itself can't make you feel good.

So great, he's respected.  Whoopie.  If that is what makes you happy as a fan, fine. I'm happy you're happy.

What will make me happy is Gase exceeding my expectation and spanking Buffalo on Sunday.

To each their own.

5 hours ago, Lizard King said:

Yeah, **** that guy right.

If he loses and can't produce us a materially better Offense, yeah, if "**** that guy" means "fire him and find somebody who WILL win". 

Sorry you have a problem with me having winning as my top priority as a Jets fan.