The buzzards are circling for Darnold and Mayfield, with this interesting bonus nug

T0mShane

Matt Miller article citing a few personnel guys talking about the 2018 draft, wherein those nameless personnel guys say that “of course we knew Darnold and Baker would suck.” Nonetheless, guess who Chris Johnson preferred?

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2909216-nfl-insiders-on-baker-mayfield-sam-darnolds-struggles-as-seats-get-hotter.amp.html

“The Jets, fearing the Browns would select their top-ranked quarterback, had focused on UCLA's Rosen in the lead-up to the draft. But one former member of the front office said the organization was split at the time.

"Darnold was our guy," he said, "but there were a lot of people in the building who liked Baker because of his leadership skills and athleticism. And of course the owner wanted Rosen, so we were really divided, but it came down to what the GM and head coach wanted, and that would have been Darnold, then Rosen."

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Joe Douglas needs to be put in charge here.  No more HC reports to Owner, **** that make his ass report to Joe D.

I think we all have been waiting for that next Parcells guy to come in here wipe all the stank away, and shut the negative noise up.

I think Joe D can be that guy IF he is the boss from his position down, none of this HC GM finger pointing dance to undermine Joe.

Stop being clowns pick a leader of your franchise, and allow him to do just that.

Good luck.  Woody has been de facto GM for the past 10 years.  That’s why we traded for his hero Tim Tebow, passed on Wilson, and didn’t sign a CB in 2014

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Personally, I wanted Darnold or Mayfield, and was worried that we might get neither.

Wasn't a fan of Rosen at all, and was scared to death of Josh Allen though intrigued by his incredible arm and mobility. I didn't see us as the right team to develop him.

I was also very intrigued by Lamar Jackson, but I knew we were never going to pick a "running" QB with our top pick.

So my preference was always Darnold, but I thought Mayfield was the more realistic pick as I assumed Sam would be gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

I dont believe for a second any behind the scenes nameless personnel people thought Sam Darnold would "suck". 

He was the consensus number 1 across the entire spectrum of NFL analysts and coaches. 

These are purely people in scouting departments trying to distance themselves from their own bad analysis, so they can justify getting more jobs when they inevitably get fired. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Just once I'd like to hear something smart from the owners like they wanted Lamar Jackson or whatever

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

Llamar jackson would have been the biggest bust here ever.  No way would we have hired anyone to craft that offense around him.  Todd bowles and jeremy bates would have had him dropping back like 30 times a game. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I dont believe for a second any behind the scenes nameless personnel people thought Sam Darnold would "suck". 

He was the consensus number 1 across the entire spectrum of NFL analysts and coaches. 

These are purely people in scouting departments trying to distance themselves from their own bad analysis, so they can justify getting more jobs when they inevitably get fired. 

I mean... It's not crazy:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/qbase-2018

• Upvote 2

Consensus number ones actually go number one

Sam was number one like a year before he was eligible by the time he was drafted he was nitpicked to 3 overall.

The reasons why Sam fell from 1 to 3 are the same reasons why he sux today. The jets didn't ruin this player. He was always overrated

29 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I too wanted Rosen and I was completely against drafting Josh Allen.

However

I wanted Deshaun Watson and was extremely upset when Mac passed on him. We probably would have ruined him anyways and he'd be on the Geno Smith career trajectory.

I was split on Darnold and Rosen, I leaned Rosen because I liked his technique better. I was totally fine with us selecting Darnold watching the draft

However, 

I wanted Mahomes at 6... i also would have taken Watson had Mahomes been drafted ahead of us. and yes I agree we wouldn't have done either of them any favors as we are proving with Sam.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Sam was number one like a year before he was eligible by the time he was drafted he was nitpicked to 3 overall.

The reasons why Sam fell from 1 to 3 are the same reasons why he sux today. The jets didn't ruin this player. He was always overrated

If Darnold doesnt play on New Years Day with everyone in the northeast watching no one would have considered him a top 5 pick.

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, TMAC said:

This does not surprise me at all.  When Woody left to work his magic in the United Kingdom, I was hopeful.  Once again reminded that things can always get worse.  As long as the Johnsons own this franchise, this organization will stink.

Come on. There were a lot of people here who wanted Rosen leading up to the draft. The guy almost nobody wanted was Jackson.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

49 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Matt Miller article citing a few personnel guys talking about the 2018 draft, wherein those nameless personnel guys say that “of course we knew Darnold and Baker would suck.” Nonetheless, guess who Chris Johnson preferred?

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2909216-nfl-insiders-on-baker-mayfield-sam-darnolds-struggles-as-seats-get-hotter.amp.html

“The Jets, fearing the Browns would select their top-ranked quarterback, had focused on UCLA's Rosen in the lead-up to the draft. But one former member of the front office said the organization was split at the time.

"Darnold was our guy," he said, "but there were a lot of people in the building who liked Baker because of his leadership skills and athleticism. And of course the owner wanted Rosen, so we were really divided, but it came down to what the GM and head coach wanted, and that would have been Darnold, then Rosen."

CJ is such an alpha!

19 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It was also because Dorsey and Gettleman are old and insane.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Llamar jackson would have been the biggest bust here ever.  No way would we have hired anyone to craft that offense around him.  Todd bowles and jeremy bates would have had him dropping back like 30 times a game. 

chicken or egg? they didnt pick him cos they didnt see "it"                  you dont see "it" you dont know how to play him...

its a mobius loop

• Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

If Darnold doesnt play on New Years Day with everyone in the northeast watching no one would have considered him a top 5 pick.

This is the exact argument I had during that process regarding wait for 18 vs. taking the 17 QB's.  Everyone fell in love with Darnold and I legit remember saying, "this is all way too eerily familiar to another USC QB who was drafted because of his Rose Bowl performance". 

Oh well, this franchise is a sh*t show from top to bottom.  We're all just suckers. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JiF said:

This is the exact argument I had during that process regarding wait for 18 vs. taking the 17 QB's.  Everyone fell in love with Darnold and I legit remember saying, "this is all way too eerily familiar to another USC QB who was drafted because of his Rose Bowl performance". 

Oh well, this franchise is a sh*t show from top to bottom.  We're all just suckers. 

Kinda funny that Barkley went to the Giants too. Both kind of were overrated after that game. Great game, just never trust the northeast pro fans when evaluating talent in the Rose Bowl lol. Francesa was especially the worst after that game.

I find the whole draft class interesting.

Darnold may have been the consensus #1, but it was far from unanimous.  It is obvious that McCloughan had Mayfield higher, and a bunch of other guys did too.  There was a bunch of chatter about his arm at one of the QB camps before his final year.  I can't remember names, but they were guys we have heard of and they were saying he should be ahead of Allen, Darnold and Rosen before his Heisman year.  There was the Shronka, former NFL scout at ourlads, that correctly stated that Darnold's footwork as a mess and described him as a "cow on ice."  Everybody didn't love Darnold.

Everybody sh*ts on Allen, but IMO he was the guy that people expected to go #1 overall. He was consistently compared to Wentz and had the same coaches who said he was better.  The issue was his accuracy did not take the expected leap so people were wildly split on him.  The Bills obviously loved him, though they were rumored to like Barkley even better.  Allen was going to have a pretty wide split of guys that loved him and guys that were afraid to go near him.  Boom/bust.

Rosen seemed to be the most pro ready.  A top guy for a long time, but he had a rough year and the more you looked, the less you liked.  Seemed douche-y and entitled and I don't think anybody liked him.  His game wasn't good enough to deal with all that.  Had some arm injuries IIRC and not a cannon that puts guys like Stafford at #1.

Jackson was a guy that everybody was interested in, but nobody wanted to pick him that high because you had to tailor so much to him.  I find it interesting that a solid team with a decent QB rolled the dice on him and were willing to change things up.  Meanwhile, teams that were going 3-13, 5-11 or 0-16, were going to stay away because they were afraid Jackson wouldn't fit their "system."  Those systems worked so great, eh? 

Hue Jackson was supposed to be this QB whisperer that was going to develop Mayfield.  Did he even last half the season?  The two running QBs that were supposed to be coach killers are the only two that are still where they were drafted with the same coaching staff.  Did anybody see that coming?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1