Can you believe how badly we fcked up Project Darnold

Paradis

4 hours ago, Stark said:

The hiring should have been any guy that has shown they could develop/work on qb's mechanics for these CRUCIAL developmental years of Sam, even if that meant a bit of neglecting the rest of the team in order to do so. 

Bro this is just the JETS sh*tting the bed at every opportunity 

This was why you hired McCarthy, even if he was lacking in other ways. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This was a fun meme for about two years, but your boy hasn’t been anywhere near this team for about 16 months now. Time to let this go. 

As douglass approval ratings continues to slide his fan club will need to up the atleast hes not Mac narrative 

• Upvote 1

"Darnold, he's like a cow on ice,'' Dan Shonka told the New York Post. "His footwork is all over the place. His feet in the pocket are embarrassing. When you turn the ball over [35 times] in 26 games, you're intellectually dishonest when you're talking about bringing in Sam Darnold as your next savior. This guy opens his hands over the ball, it just drops out when he's in the pocket. If you look at his film, they talk about his accuracy. Actually it's his receivers making great catches for him, laying out for the ball or going high. I'm not saying he's never going to be a quarterback, but right now he's a long way away.''

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

"Darnold, he's like a cow on ice,'' Dan Shonka told the New York Post. "His footwork is all over the place. His feet in the pocket are embarrassing. When you turn the ball over [35 times] in 26 games, you're intellectually dishonest when you're talking about bringing in Sam Darnold as your next savior. This guy opens his hands over the ball, it just drops out when he's in the pocket. If you look at his film, they talk about his accuracy. Actually it's his receivers making great catches for him, laying out for the ball or going high. I'm not saying he's never going to be a quarterback, but right now he's a long way away.''

I remember that quote.  F**kin hell.

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I have been citing the cow on ice quote all along.  I will point out that Darnold's footwork has been a problem, but I think the relationship to turnovers may be overstated.  He had 35 turnovers, but only 22 were INTs.  He had a whole bunch of fumbles in 2017.  I was very concerned about that, but he seems to have largely cleaned that up.  His INTs were not really out of line with Allen, Rosen, Goff Wentz or Watson.

10 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Who is this guy Shonka?  He sounds like a genius. lol

“I wouldn’t give you a nickel for a couple of those quarterbacks that everybody is slobbering all over themselves about and could go in the top five,” Dan Shonka told The Post. “It makes me ill.’’

Shonka has been at this for a long while, as a former college head coach, scout for National Football Scouting, the Eagles, Redskins and Chiefs and currently as Ourlads’ Scouting Services general manager and national scout. He likes Mayfield best of all the quarterback prospects, followed by Rosen, Darnold, Mason Rudolph, Allen and Lamar Jackson, assigning first-round grades to all of them. It is not as if Shonka believes all these players will be busts, but, other than Mayfield and possibly Rosen, he does not see what all the fuss is about and certainly does not salivate over this class.

Maybes Darnold would never have been great, and it certainly looks like he’s lost beyond belief now.

However, he looks like a *worse* QB now than he did two years ago, when he was just out of college and being coached by Jeremy Bates. If that’s not the most damning Indictment of Gase (and the whole organisation) I don’t know what is.

Yeah Darnold has to take some responsibility for it. 

But Jesus, we took a super-young QB with loads of raw ability but with technical/mechanical problems, and we haven’t once gave him a dedicated QB coach. 

What did we expect was going to happen? 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, CTM said:

As douglass approval ratings continues to slide his fan club will need to up the atleast hes not Mac narrative 

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Looking forward to lots of clever mcdonalds and dunkin donut memes over the next few months.

Yah totally guys, let's fire Douglas and let the Johnson's hire the next GM.  Should go swell.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet his fingerprints remain all over this disaster.

This is true, but Gase and Loggains coupled with Douglas trading away players for picks are the actual disaster (to be clear, I was fully on board with all of Douglas' trades, and I'm generally pleased with his picks (other than drafting a backup QB to hold a clipboard over a size/speed freak at a position of need like AGG). Still, other than the OL being better, currently, the roster is worse today than it was on New Years day 2019, and their record, performance, production numbers and efficiency ratios are all absolute sh*t and getting worse. At some point, this inverse relationship needs to be credited the people who have been around for the last 16 months as opposed to the cheeseburger who's had literally 0 impact over that timespan.

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yah totally guys, let's fire Douglas and let the Johnson's hire the next GM.  Should go swell.

lol. You post your overly strong opinions as if they're fact 100x a day all over these forums, and the one time someone says anything even slightly critical about Douglas, this is your response? 

Haha - carry on wit ya bad self!

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

lol. You post your overly strong opinions as if they're fact 100x a day all over these forums, and the one time someone says anything even slightly critical about Douglas, this is your response? 

Haha - carry on wit ya bad self!

There's always the ignore button if it my opinions bother you so.  You're the same guy that takes every post people make super serious so I imagine you won't.

Thank you for the permission to carry on.  I shall do just that.

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There's always the ignore button if it my opinions bother you so.  You're the same guy that takes every post people make super serious so I imagine you won't.

Thank you for the permission to carry on.  I shall do just that.

Lol. Super Duper Serious!!!!!

44 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Looking forward to lots of clever mcdonalds and dunkin donut memes over the next few months.

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's called snark, dude.  Again, use the ignore function if it bothers you so.  

Relax. I've developed past the age of 13 so the ignore function is not necessary; if you were bothering me I'd simply not engage you. We're generally in sync but me not going all Rah-Rah over Douglas clearly has you hot and bothered, but I'm actually generally pleased with him.

Also, repeatedly telling someone else to ignore you because you think the other person is being too serious is hundo-P spidey-meme stuff. 

5 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Thank you!

Some out here are still acting like NFL Football is akin to boxing, Golf or Tennis whereby you alone can change the fortunes of a competitive contest.  

No, NFL Football is first and foremost a TEAM Game.

The QB is dependent on coaching, skill position players and at least an adequate OL, none of which Darnold has ever had!

The original OP got it right and the  myopic delusional few out here keep acting like getting another player in here will change things around absent real changes in the organizations which is nothing more than a fantasy.

Thank you... if you look at Sam he looks lost...where does he go when he needs advice?  have you or anyone seen any coach talk to him on the bench or go over the opposition D on an Ipad?  I haven't what the F do you expect given the kid was sack around 45 times last year and the L this year was rated the worst week one for giving up pressure coupled with practice sq WR ...LOL.  

Wouldn't it be ironic if Sam is playing this badly to get rid of AG.... talk him up to the media, take responsibility for your poor play and then go out a sh*t in the bed.... it would be a Shakespearian/Machiavellian masterpeice.... LOL. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Paradis said:

This is twilight zone material. Swear to god. We're gifted wrapped one of the best prospects to mold, and look at this sh*t

• Rookie yr under OC Jeremy Bates, a guy who was lost hiking for 2 years
  • Two yrs with Adam Gase whose offenses have been statistically the worst
  • No one seems to understand the notion of scheming to talent.
  • like 7 different RBs who all sucked, including washout Bell
  • Virtually NO consistency at WR to develop chemistry with.... Robbie was the closest thing - adios Anderson! 
  • THE OLINE... MY GOD.... 18 different starters. 
  • Outside of Becton, this team is measurably worse since Darnold started in 2018

Like WHAT IS THIS?

Spot on! Darnold still might end up being a bust, but how could you properly evaluate a QB who is expected to turn chickensh*t into chicken salad? 

• Thumb Down 1

19 hours ago, Paradis said:

Aside, i haven't heard nathan Sheperd's name once this year. is he alive?

This is probably a dumb question but, if he did PEDs last year and got suspended for it, is it possible for it to still affect him throughout last season? My fear for him coming into this season would be that he didn't do PEDs and therefore would go back to the earlier version of him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I have been citing the cow on ice quote all along.  I will point out that Darnold's footwork has been a problem, but I think the relationship to turnovers may be overstated.  He had 35 turnovers, but only 22 were INTs.  He had a whole bunch of fumbles in 2017.  I was very concerned about that, but he seems to have largely cleaned that up.  His INTs were not really out of line with Allen, Rosen, Goff Wentz or Watson.

To me the vision and decision making is the scariest part. Early in his career he just ignored the checkdown completely, but lately either the play design is a quick throw or he’s forcing the one read without actually checking to see if it’s the right decision. If he doesn’t hit the first read he goes instant scramble mode. I can’t remember the last time he shuffled within the pocket to step up into a throw. 

16 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

To me the vision and decision making is the scariest part. Early in his career he just ignored the checkdown completely, but lately either the play design is a quick throw or he’s forcing the one read without actually checking to see if it’s the right decision. If he doesn’t hit the first read he goes instant scramble mode. I can’t remember the last time he shuffled within the pocket to step up into a throw. 

His confidence is wrecked.  A lot of that is Gase and having horrific receivers