Interesting Denzel Mims Stats

54 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't want to put any money in the position, any year.  There are plenty of backs providing production in the NFL that aren't money veterans or super high picks.   We have had quite a few.  Mostert for one.  We had both of the backs the Chargers trotted out there yesterday on our roster.   Meanwhile we have dead money in Bell, and are paying for Gore's HOF farewell tour.  

Make no mistake, I am not complaining about what you are saying, but the very idea sends me into a rage.  The only reason we didn't dump any more money into the position beyond Gore was because we had Bell?  That is like saying the only reason we didn't make a mistake is because we already made a minor mistake in addition to our larger mistake.  It's absolutely true and it make me very angry.

The reason we had Bell was the Johnson Family business motto.  Never fully fire the entire leadership team at once.  Allowing Macc the freedom to shell out big contracts to Bell and Mosely when you already had an idea he was on the way out is near criminal.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetscode1 said:

Mann has been decent, not great.  I've yet to see the big booming leg yet but I think he's added value.  A rare hit on a 6th round draft pick.  

Yeah that he was a 6th rounder is a part of why I loved the pick. And seeing him boom kicks I thought we nailed it. But it is like you said, we haven’t seen that booming leg yet. I don’t know why though. What really changes from college to pros for a punter? The ball? 

4 minutes ago, Drums said:

Yeah that he was a 6th rounder is a part of why I loved the pick. And seeing him boom kicks I thought we nailed it. But it is like you said, we haven’t seen that booming leg yet. I don’t know why though. What really changes from college to pros for a punter? The ball? 

I think the ball is the same.  Not really sure why hasn't displayed the power leg as he definitely punts more often here.

• Upvote 1

My favorite stat about Denzel Mims coming out of college was how he ranked #1 in the Nation in catches in traffic. 

A big 6'3/207 lbs outside WR with blazing 4.38 speed who can make catches over the middle of the field in traffic? Bananas. 

He's a Julio Jones type of talent within the markings and I want to see him paired alongside of an Allen Robinson/JuJu Smith-Schuster so bad. 

• Sympathy 2

Can we have some players that represent a positive influence on the field instead of off it?  How can anyone argue that the signing of a 37 year old RB is anything more than a stop gap measure?  Is someone counting on him being a 5 year starter?

Say what you want about Gore, personally, I have much respect for him as a leader and a player. The man brings it 110% 24/7 wherever he has played. What is amazing to me is I still remember his rookie season with the “U” and even the he brought it.
Any team would benefit from his experience and knowledge as a RB coach next year, including the Jets.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fltflo said:

Say what you want about Gore, personally, I have much respect for him as a leader and a player. The man brings it 110% 24/7 wherever he has played. What is amazing to me is I still remember his rookie season with the “U” and even the he brought it.
Any team would benefit from his experience and knowledge as a RB coach next year, including the Jets.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I remember his 1st year at the U...he went to Coral Gables High and average like 7+ yds a carry...

Gore and McGahee...those were the days!

Wait, I thought Mims and Perriman weren't that good?

Quite frankly, I would be happy to go with them two, Crowder, Berrios and either another draft pick or solid F/A signing next year.  

The O-line needs some work, and we need some RB depth and better TE options, but I think there are things to be hopeful about.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TnT said:

I remember his 1st year at the U...he went to Coral Gables High and average like 7+ yds a carry...

Gore and McGahee...those were the days!

Vilma went Coral Gables too. 

I'm born and raised in S. Ozone Park Queens but my family moved to Florida when I was in HS and wow High School Football is a culture and a religion down here. Nothing like Florida football I never seen kids run this fast in NY. 

I never seen anything like it @ John Adams HS in Queens until moving to St. Petersburg (Northeast High) I'm on the West Coast of Florida (St. Pete/Tampa) and HS football is A+ over here. Lakewood is the best team year in year out and more down south St.Thomas Aquinas High School produces absolute fire power! I love watching their games when on local TV.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

The reason we had Bell was the Johnson Family business motto.  Never fully fire the entire leadership team at once.  Allowing Macc the freedom to shell out big contracts to Bell and Mosely when you already had an idea he was on the way out is near criminal.  

Remember when we were told the timing was actually perfect to fire Macc?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Vilma went Coral Gables too. 

I'm born and raised in S. Ozone Park Queens but my family moved to Florida when I was in HS and wow High School Football is a culture and a religion down here. Nothing like Florida football I never seen kids run this fast in NY. 

I never seen anything like it @ John Adams HS in Queens until moving to St. Petersburg (Northeast High) I'm on the West Coast of Florida (St. Pete/Tampa) and HS football is A+ over here. Lakewood is the best team year in year out and more down south St.Thomas Aquinas High School produces absolute fire power! I love watching their games when on local TV.

You said it.

I grew up in Bronxwood, Co-op City (Truman High), and also lived in Briarwood, Queens.

Never once watching college football. Moved down here and the U was ridiculous...Cortez Kennedy, Russell Maryland (showing my age)

Anyways, I played at Plantation with Al Blades Sr (RIP). We graduated together. Went unbeaten in 95 and lost to Miami Northwestern who had a f#ckin squad...Nate Webster and Snoop (Minnus?) We didn’t play St Thomas that year...but we ravaged their girls from time to time, lmao. Same school as Ryan Shazier too.

Anyways, sorry for the Al Bundy Polk High moment...it just brought back memories. 
As far as NY HS football, lol, I always tell people that “NY water makes the best pizza and FL water makes the best athletes”...cause HOLY SH#T!!!!

It was hard to run fast with all that broken glass in the schoolyard. ??????

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

22 hours ago, Drums said:

I think they’re getting there. Seemed Flacco was just chucking it up to him yesterday in the 2nd half. Like I said in the game thread, the team can’t make adjustments so they just decided to call it in in the first half and implement their game plan in the second half. It’s ridiculous but it ended up being true. 

It almost seems like they were running in the first half hoping to keep the game close and then decided to start airing it out in the second.  It almost worked. I don’t think the chargers were ready for such a large change from half to half but the jets just spotted them too much of a lead.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, jgb said:

Remember when we were told the timing was actually perfect to fire Macc?

The Johnsons have no idea how to run a business but the excuses always follow whatever cockamamie idea they run with.  Year after year we hope.  Hope these two idiots got lucky with (fill-in the blank GM/HC) the football hire.  Now, we have to hope JD is for real and oh btw we need to go 0-16 to snag the next "generational" QB so he can prove it.   

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, dcJet said:

Julio Jones?  Metcalf? not even close.  He's way behind his own rookie class.  

He's really not.  He looks like one of the top guys.  Not bad for a kid who didn't participate in a single practice until several weeks into the season.  

I'm not ready to compare him to Julio Jones or DK Metcalf yet but I think he'll be a solid WR1 or very high end WR2 in this league. 

Considering we were able to trade down in the 2nd round and still land him, I consider that pick a hit already. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

jet fans always over hype

he looks decent...

there are other rookies playing way better at the position and that have been on the field all season

So Sam is a secret-FQB-in-hiding because his weaponz suck but it's unfathomable that a trash QB is holding back his weaponz.

57 minutes ago, rangerous said:

It almost seems like they were running in the first half hoping to keep the game close and then decided to start airing it out in the second.  It almost worked. I don’t think the chargers were ready for such a large change from half to half but the jets just spotted them too much of a lead.

Yeah considering we have failed to make any adjustments for 9 games, it almost worked haha

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Gases vision is terrible? Haha, well played boss! 

hahaha

Gase's eyesight is a problem. He looks at the play sheet and always calls the bad plays. The good plays are right in front of them, he just can't see them.

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's really not.  He looks like one of the top guys.  Not bad for a kid who didn't participate in a single practice until several weeks into the season.  

I'm not ready to compare him to Julio Jones or DK Metcalf yet but I think he'll be a solid WR1 or very high end WR2 in this league. 

Considering we were able to trade down in the 2nd round and still land him, I consider that pick a hit already. 

I don't agree 80, it seems he's way behind to me. We're all hoping he finishes strong and catches up.

I don't see the shiftyness or explosion from Mims, just a one move kind of guy that can win some jump balls but will have trouble getting open against top CB's.  

The trade down doesn't look good at all so far.  We got Mims and Morgan instead of Claypool.

33 minutes ago, dcJet said:

I don't agree 80, it seems he's way behind to me. We're all hoping he finishes strong and catches up.

I don't see the shiftyness or explosion from Mims, just a one move kind of guy that can win some jump balls but will have trouble getting open against top CB's.  

The trade down doesn't look good at all so far.  We got Mims and Morgan instead of Claypool.

Claypool is not better than Mims.  At most its a wash.  

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Claypool is not better than Mims.  At most its a wash.  

Claypool has played better than Mims.  The rest is you just trying to stay hopeful.  JD might have got too clever by half with that move.  I liked the trade down at the time but the 2020 WR class has shown promise and JD only went to the well once.  

9 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Claypool has played better than Mims.  The rest is you just trying to stay hopeful.  JD might have got too clever by half with that move.  I liked the trade down at the time but the 2020 WR class has shown promise and JD only went to the well once.  

Not really, no.  Mims has looked just as impressive, if not moreso.  The difference between their production is, obviously, QB play.

• Upvote 1