Interesting Denzel Mims Stats

On 11/23/2020 at 1:06 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Can we have some players that represent a positive influence on the field instead of off it?  How can anyone argue that the signing of a 37 year old RB is anything more than a stop gap measure?  Is someone counting on him being a 5 year starter?

Isnt everyone saying that he is a stop gap measure?  

Is anyone thinking he would/should have anywhere near the carries if Bell a.) wasnt washed up b.) wasnt injured?

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Not really, no.  Mims has looked just as impressive, if not moreso.  The difference between their production is, obviously, QB play.

You are totally nuts on this issue, most issues you are well balanced, your objectivity is off the rails here.

You might get some leeway if you were talking about potential, but you are talking in fact about how good they are now.  Mims has played like 3 games and done fairly well.  Claypool is tearing it up.  claypool has 8 tds, mims has 13 catches

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

You are totally nuts on this issue, most issues you are well balanced, your objectivity is off the rails here.

You might get some leeway if you were talking about potential, but you are talking in fact about how good they are now.  Mims has played like 3 games and done fairly well.  Claypool is tearing it up.  claypool has 8 tds, mims has 13 catches

Allen Robinson & Denzel Mims are going to be a dynamic duo! Crowder will be open 24/7 plus any TE we put out there. Najee Harris or Travis Etienne in the backfield? Yes please. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm only talking about how they've looked when they played.  Mims has looked every bit as Claypool's equal, if not better.  If you want to talk production only, yes, of course Claypool has produced more.  There are good reasons for this, but none that suggest Claypool is intrinsically superior to Mims.  

They both look like WR1's or high end WR2s.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Allen Robinson & Denzel Mims are going to be a dynamic duo! Crowder will be open 24/7 plus any TE we put out there. Najee Harris or Travis Etienne in the backfield? Yes please. 

I can only hope this comes true. From your lips to God’s balls

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Isnt everyone saying that he is a stop gap measure?  

Is anyone thinking he would/should have anywhere near the carries if Bell a.) wasnt washed up b.) wasnt injured?

Mentioning Bell isn't helping.  How many stopgap measures do you want?  How about we have some young players that will be here when things turn around.  If, I guess. 

3 hours ago, Drums said:

But they fall on the head coach and it is still his responsibility, so if it happened prior to him is irrelevant. What matters is if the next guy can make them. 

It’s pretty funny when you think about it. I don’t know how many people remember back in 85 or86 when they started out 10-0.  I remember watching a game with Paul Maguire as one of the color commentators.  He said they wouldn’t win anymore games that year because they don’t adjust. Darned if he wasn’t right about them not winning.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Mentioning Bell isn't helping.  How many stopgap measures do you want?  How about we have some young players that will be here when things turn around.  If, I guess. 

Who ever thought that Bell was intended to be a stop gap signing? 

Whats the difference, Bell was here and being paid huge money when Gore was signed and the plan had to have Bell as the feature back.  I agree, the Macc routine of one big FA signing and 7 wasted draft picks needs to be changed.  

20 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who ever thought that Bell was intended to be a stop gap signing? 

Whats the difference, Bell was here and being paid huge money when Gore was signed and the plan had to have Bell as the feature back.  I agree, the Macc routine of one big FA signing and 7 wasted draft picks needs to be changed.  

He wasn't a stop gap signing, but what was he coming into 2020? Having 2 RBs with a combined career total of 76,497 carries is a mistake.  I didn't know it was really up for conversation.  Jets RBs with better ypc than Gore include, but are not limited to, Kalen Ballage, Le'veon Bell, and La'Mical Perine. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He wasn't a stop gap signing, but what was he coming into 2020? Having 2 RBs with a combined career total of 76,497 carries is a mistake.  I didn't know it was really up for conversation.  Jets RBs with better ypc than Gore include, but are not limited to, Kalen Ballage, Le'veon Bell, and La'Mical Perine. 

He was a player making what, 8-9 mil?  He was supposed to be the feature back.  I dont think there was any way he would be on the team in 2021.  Perine and whoever we picked in the next draft 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm only talking about how they've looked when they played.  Mims has looked every bit as Claypool's equal, if not better.  If you want to talk production only, yes, of course Claypool has produced more.  There are good reasons for this, but none that suggest Claypool is intrinsically superior to Mims.  

They both look like WR1's or high end WR2s.  

I don't see WR1 potential so far based on this small sample size.  He hasn't shown any shake.  Maybe it's because the only routes they have him run are  digs and fades so far.  

i'll give Mims this, good hands, aggressive to the ball, knows how to legally offensive pass interfere (thats a good thing).  I'd like to see him get some separation and yak like the rest of his class gets otherwise he's Mohamed Sanu or Brashard Perriman with better hands.

On 11/23/2020 at 12:29 PM, Maxman said:

Robby has 818 yards with 6 games to go. Another Gase hot take that won't age well.

Robby is averaging 54 yds per game at 9.4 ypr the last 6 games where is his team is 1-5. He has 1 TD this season. He has 4 good games out of 11 where he padded his stats.  Sound familiar?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

A-Rob is my first choice next year as well.  Only hope he want to come here still.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

It’s pretty funny when you think about it. I don’t know how many people remember back in 85 or86 when they started out 10-0.  I remember watching a game with Paul Maguire as one of the color commentators.  He said they wouldn’t win anymore games that year because they don’t adjust. Darned if he wasn’t right about them not winning.

I frickin hated Paul Maguire and I remember that.  I was pissed and every game after he said that, he would double down and be more right.  Grrrrrrr. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, rangerous said:

They practically lost their entire Dline to injury. Klecko, Lyons & Gastineau. Mark made it back for the Browns & the infamous RTP penalty. 

13 hours ago, rangerous said:

He was picking against them all year so he doesn't get full credit.  They were take beat up late that year and O'Brien wasn't the same player he was earlier that year

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, choon328 said:

Robby is averaging 54 yds per game at 9.4 ypr the last 6 games where is his team is 1-5. He has 1 TD this season. He has 4 good games out of 11 where he padded his stats.  Sound familiar?

Finally everything's sliding back to the mean. I was one of the fans that liked Robbie as a #3 WR. Mims has already broken more tackles in 4 games as a rookie. Now, if JD brings in Allen Robinson or Juju, you've got 2 big physical WRs. If we keep Crowder & JD also drafts another WR (based on another pick for Darnold), a guy like Rondale Moore. 

Its not a pipe dream that JD could surround Trevor or Justin with a group like this: Robinson or Juju, Crowder, Mims & Moore with Etienne or Najee Harris in the backfield. 

• Sympathy 1

On 11/23/2020 at 6:06 PM, #27TheDominator said:

Can we have some players that represent a positive influence on the field instead of off it?  How can anyone argue that the signing of a 37 year old RB is anything more than a stop gap measure?  Is someone counting on him being a 5 year starter?

Adam Gase, Head Coach, New York Jets

:D 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

He was picking against them all year so he doesn't get full credit.  They were take beat up late that year and O'Brien wasn't the same player he was earlier that year

I know the dline was beat up that year. I believe Maguire said it shortly after their 10th win.  I took a look at the season record and it seems like the real issue was O’Brien.  They weren’t scoring any points over the final few games.  I know gastineau has been maligned but that rtp penalty he got but I swear I remember McNeil getting face masked a few plays before and it wasn’t called.  All they needed at the time was a first down to ice the game at the time.

15 hours ago, dcJet said:

I don't see WR1 potential so far based on this small sample size.  He hasn't shown any shake.  Maybe it's because the only routes they have him run are  digs and fades so far.  

He was targeted 8 times.  How many routes did they show on TV?  The 3 catches and the two PI plays?  How would you know?

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I know the dline was beat up that year. I believe Maguire said it shortly after their 10th win.  I took a look at the season record and it seems like the real issue was O’Brien.  They weren’t scoring any points over the final few games.  I know gastineau has been maligned but that rtp penalty he got but I swear I remember McNeil getting face masked a few plays before and it wasn’t called.  All they needed at the time was a first down to ice the game at the time.

He did say it after the 10-1 start but he was literally picking them to lose every week all season.

O'Brien got hurt and he never really recovered after that.  The offense was awful with him down the stretch and I believe if Ryan didn't get hurt in Cleveland the Jets win that game.

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He did say it after the 10-1 start but he was literally picking them to lose every week all season.

O'Brien got hurt and he never really recovered after that.  The offense was awful with him down the stretch and I believe if Ryan didn't get hurt in Cleveland the Jets win that game.

Ryan was a tough QB.  He was one of those guys would get smashed in his face, get stitches, and go back in.  O’Brien did play pretty well in a relief role.  Didn’t he hit  McNeil on the sideline for the go ahead score?

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

He was targeted 8 times.  How many routes did they show on TV?  The 3 catches and the two PI plays?  How would you know?

That's exactly the thing.  We haven't seen a replay of him using explosion and quickness to deek defenders.  We've seen plenty from other rookies in his class - claypool, jefferson, CeeDee, etal.

The question is why haven't we seen it?   Is Gase not letting him run anything other than fades and digs?  Is he running other routes but not getting the ball or not getting open?  We don't know.  

Meanwhile posters here are declaring him a WR1.  My take is - I haven't seen it yet.

26 minutes ago, dcJet said:

That's exactly the thing.  We haven't seen a replay of him using explosion and quickness to deek defenders.  We've seen plenty from other rookies in his class - claypool, jefferson, CeeDee, etal.

The question is why haven't we seen it?   Is Gase not letting him run anything other than fades and digs?  Is he running other routes but not getting the ball or not getting open?  We don't know.  

Meanwhile posters here are declaring him a WR1.  My take is - I haven't seen it yet.

@Paradis was calling him a WR1 well before the 2020 draft.  And the evidence is only moving toward that direction, not away from it.  

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Jetster said:

Finally everything's sliding back to the mean. I was one of the fans that liked Robbie as a #3 WR. Mims has already broken more tackles in 4 games as a rookie. Now, if JD brings in Allen Robinson or Juju, you've got 2 big physical WRs. If we keep Crowder & JD also drafts another WR (based on another pick for Darnold), a guy like Rondale Moore. 

Its not a pipe dream that JD could surround Trevor or Justin with a group like this: Robinson or Juju, Crowder, Mims & Moore with Etienne or Najee Harris in the backfield. 

I agree. I think the key is getting Juju or Allen Robinson. I wouldn't sleep on a guy like Will Fuller, who is an UFA this offseason. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Why? Well for starters he pulled both bloody hamstrings to start the season. Now I’m not a doctor or a physiotherapist, but in a sport where players have to be at 100% to be performing at the level their opponents are, do you think that might have something to do with it? I think it just might  

How quickly we forget.

also, he never won by playing like Diggs. Players win in different ways. Lamb is not burning people with oodles of separation/“deeking” btw. Claypool plays more like Mims and their winning at the point of attack when the ball is close. 

also our QBs have sucked ass and not thrown on time. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

Why? Well for starters he pulled both bloody hamstrings to start the season. Now I’m not a doctor or a physiotherapist, but in a sport where players have to be at 100% to be performing at the level their opponents are, do you think that might have something to do with it? I think it just might  

How quickly we forget.

also, he never won by playing like Diggs. Players win in different ways. Lamb is not burning people with oodles of separation/“deeking” btw. Claypool plays more like Mims and their winning at the point of attack when the ball is close. 

also our QBs have sucked ass and not thrown on time. 

I hope you guys are right.  Some production now that he's healthy will improve my mood.  Mims needs to step it up.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

Ryan was a tough QB.  He was one of those guys would get smashed in his face, get stitches, and go back in.  O’Brien did play pretty well in a relief role.  Didn’t he hit  McNeil on the sideline for the go ahead score?

No, the only TD with Ken was a handoff to Freeman just after a turnover.  It was a 1 play drive that put them up 20-10 with about 4 minutes left.

They had a million chances in OT, I think Mark Mosely missed 2 FGs in OT.

1 hour ago, dcJet said:

Mims needs to step it up.

lol, he's a rookie... Playing in his what, 4 or 5th game - and already the best contest catch WR on our team.

And he needs step it up??

Dude... we're all swimming in misery. This one is just misdirected. 

• Upvote 3

On 11/23/2020 at 11:57 AM, Drums said:

He basically makes the game worth watching. So do the other rookies. Glad to see they are actually pretty good already. 

My thoughts exactly. Watching the rooks makes it all ok for me. Seeing Bryce Hall get his first real game action against some pretty stout competition was candy. 

Becton, Mims, Davis, Hall and even Mann are the goods imo. 

We still have Zuniga, Huff and clark to assess as well.  Morgan.... that's another thread. :)

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2020 at 2:32 PM, EM31 said:

I think we need a little bit bigger sample size before we try reading anything meaningful into his statistics so far.

All we need him to do is beat coverages, catch the ball and get YAC when he can.  Thats what he excelled at in School and that's what he's done since being activated. I see no reason to think what we're seeing is not what he is.  The only concern is injury which was not an issue at Baylor. 

edit:  Oh... and Block.  That might just be the best part of his game thus far in 2020.  He's always done that and has had pivotal blocks on numerous plays. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Jetster said:

Yep. And this is very realistic this offseason. It's not a pipe dream to think Robinson is the WR we nab,  that Pitts or Freiermuth are there in the late first and Ettiene or Harris are there at #33.  This, or something similar is within our grasp. 

• Upvote 2