Rank the 2020 Draft Left Tackles

There was so much debate about this.  Who was best?  Who was worst?  Who were we going to get?  Who was going to be there for us?

How would you rank them based on their performance this season:

Andrew Thomas--4th Overall

Jedrick Wills--10th Overall

Mekhi Becton--11th Overall

Tristan Wirfs--13th Overall

Austin Jackson--18th Overall

Isaiah Wilson--29th Overall

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I haven't watched enough of the others to have a really strong opinion (I doubt many posters on this board have either) but I know Becton has been dominant and given his size, skill, and athleticism I don't think I'd trade him for any other offensive lineman in the league right now.

Same here I haven't seen many of the other rookie Tackles in live action outside of Wirfs since I live in Saint Petersburg and have watched 4-5 Buccaneer games in order to catch Brady and I'll say that I'm thankful we've got Becton.

and regardless of what PFF has to say because what PFF isn't telling us is that Wirfs plays an easier position @ RT, has a HOF Tom Brady making O-Line reads who releases the football as quick as any QB within the league and surrounded by awesome offensive talent in Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Gronk, Antonio Brown and RBs like Jones/Fournette in order to take the pressure off of a rookie RT. 

Reverse the situation and throw Wirfs into the fire @ LT within an offense that is deprived talent while blindside pass protecting for Flacco and a happy feet Sam Darnold and I can 100% guarantee you that PFF would be singing a different tune in regards to Wirfs. 

I can't speak upon all of these other kids but all I know is that Mekhi Becton is absolutely freakish and without question the most physically dominant Jet that I've ever witnessed with my own eyes since Darrelle Revis and not even Revis of 2007/2008 looked this dominant (not until 2009/2010 that is). 

I'm so glad JD ignored my WR demands of Jerry Jeudy/CeeDee Lamb; because it's Becton who now gives us real hope for Trevor Lawrence. 

Joey Bosa lined up against Becton for only 1 drive before having enough, quitting and moving to the other side. I'm sure his younger brother Nick warned him heading into the game that lining up opposite of and against Becton is a waste of time. So as an older brother Joey wanted to prove Nick wrong but after only one series, he realized his younger brother was right; both of the Bosa brothers wanted nothing to do with this Rookie Phenom @ LT. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Becton

Wirfs 

Wills 

Jackson

Thomas

Wilson

The crazy part to me is that Becton, Wirfs, and Wills are almost interchangeable. That's how great all 3 have been.

Jackson got hurt, but when he's been on the field he's been solid all things considered in pass protection. His run blocking is atrocious. Definitely an area that needs to improved.

Thomas got off to an atrocious start. So bad that he was replaced by fellow rookie Matt Peart at LT. But he's now back at left, and since then he's been really good. There's still hope he can get back to the high level of play back in college that made everyone (myself included) so high on him.

Wilson hasn't even played. He made his debut last week on special teams.

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, King P said:

Becton

Wirfs 

Wills 

Jackson

Thomas

Wilson

The crazy part to me is that Becton, Wirfs, and Wills are almost interchangeable. That's how great all 3 have been.

Jackson got hurt, but when he's been on the field he's been solid all things considered in pass protection. His run blocking is atrocious. Definitely an area that needs to improved.

Thomas got off to an atrocious start. So bad that he was replaced by fellow rookie Matt Peart at LT. But he's now back at left, and since then he's been really good. There's still hope he can get back to the high level of play back in college that made everyone (myself included) so high on him.

Wilson hasn't even played. He made his debut last week on special teams.

good insight.

I haven't paid attention to the other two.

the other two are on par with Becton, yeah?

32 minutes ago, King P said:

Wirfs needs to make the move to LT before this can be stated with any confidence.

Wills has been solid but he's still a pretty distant 2nd behind Becton.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

31 minutes ago, southtown24th said:

good insight.

I haven't paid attention to the other two.

the other two are on par with Becton, yeah?

Performance was, they've all been playing at a very high level. Wills has been rock solid for Cleveland. He's only had 1 bad game per se, and that was against against Washington. Which is forgivable seeing how strong their D-Line is. He could also stand improve on his run blocking a tad bit. He'd not as bad as Austin Jackson in the department, but not as good as Becton. Wirfs has been at RT which I'm sure will knock him down a bit in people's eyes, but performance wise he's been on par with Becton.

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wirfs needs to make the move to LT before this can be stated with any confidence.

I was speaking strictly to their performance only. If someone had Wirfs ranked at the top, I wouldn't be mad. Heck, many people have been calling for him to get considerations for ROY.

I don't think he's incapable of doing this at LT. From what I've heard their LT Donovan Smith is uncomfortable playing on the right side (weird since he played RT in college) and the drop off at RT is much deeper. So it makes sense plugging Wirfs in at RT. Smith only has 1 more year on his contract, after that he's most likely gone and we'll most like see Wirfs slide over to the left. So we'll get our answer there soon enough

Just now, King P said:

I was speaking strictly to their performance only. If someone had Wirfs ranked at the top, I wouldn't be mad. Heck, many people have been calling for him to get considerations for ROY.

I don't think he's incapable of doing this at LT. From what I've heard their LT Donovan Smith is uncomfortable playing on the right side (weird since he played RT in college) and the drop off at RT is much deeper. So it makes sense plugging Wirfs in at RT. Smith only has 1 more year on his contract, after that he's most likely gone and we'll most like see Wirfs slide over to the left. So we'll get our answer there soon enough

I'm sure Wirfs can and will do well at LT.  But until he does it, there's no comparison to be made.  I'll take the guy that has been fairly dominant at times at LT over a clearly dominant RT.  

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm sure Wirfs can and will do well at LT.  But until he does it, there's no comparison to be made.  I'll take the guy that has been fairly dominant at times at LT over a clearly dominant RT.  bosa

I think the distinction can get overblown at times.  Sure the #1 T is usually on the left unless you have a lefty QB, but how big a difference is it?  Yeah it's the blind side, but when the LT is that good most teams will just flop their pass rusher to attack the other side - DWC accused SF, the Chargers and the Bosa brothers of that in this very thread. 

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the distinction can get overblown at times.  Sure the #1 T is usually on the left unless you have a lefty QB, but how big a difference is it?  Yeah it's the blind side, but when the LT is that good most teams will just flop their pass rusher to attack the other side - DWC accused SF, the Chargers and the Bosa brothers of that in this very thread. 

People have been making this argument for some time about how EDGE rushers change where they line up, thus making the difference between LT and RT negligible, and it falls flat for me.  If that were truly the case, and there was little distinction between the LT and RT, then we'd see that play out in the financials.  It really doesn't.  Left Tackles still make more money and it's really not all that close.  The median starting LT makes $12.2M per year.  The median starting RT makes $5.5M.  Only three Right Tackles make $14M+ per year.  11 Left Tackles make $14M+.  And the top 2 paid LT's each make over 20 % more than the top RT.  

From a scheme standpoint this makes sense, too.  No matter how defenses are lined up, LT's tend to be left "on an island", whereas RT's are far more likely to get chipping help from a TE.  Sure, offenses can flip plays and what-not, but it just doesn't seem to play out like you say on the actual field.  Even if RT has become more and more important over the years LT is still demonstrably more important.  There's a reason some guys who play well at RT struggle at LT.  The other way around usually isn't the case.  Bad LT's get moved to RT, and then bad RT's get moved to Guard.  

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

People have been making this argument for some time about how EDGE rushers change where they line up, thus making the difference between LT and RT negligible, and it falls flat for me.  If that were truly the case, and there was little distinction between the LT and RT, then we'd see that play out in the financials.  It really doesn't.  Left Tackles still make more money and it's really not all that close.  The median starting LT makes $12.2M per year.  The median starting RT makes $5.5M.  Only three Right Tackles make $14M+ per year.  11 Left Tackles make $14M+.  And the top 2 paid LT's each make over 20 % more than the top RT.  

From a scheme standpoint this makes sense, too.  No matter how defenses are lined up, LT's tend to be left "on an island", whereas RT's are far more likely to get chipping help from a TE.  Sure, offenses can flip plays and what-not, but it just doesn't seem to play out like you say on the actual field.  Even if RT has become more and more important over the years LT is still demonstrably more important.  There's a reason some guys who play well at RT struggle at LT.  The other way around isn't the case.  Bad LT's get moved to RT, and then bad RT's get moved to Guard.  

Eh.  You already got the answer for why Wirfs is playing the right side.  Of course you want to protect the blindside first.  The point is that if the guy was a liability any halfway decent DC is going to sniff him out.  Victims don't last long in the NFL without getting victimized.

• Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.  You already got the answer for why Wirfs is playing the right side.  Of course you want to protect the blindside first.  The point is that if the guy was a liability any halfway decent DC is going to sniff him out.  Victims don't last long in the NFL without getting victimized.

Sure.  I understand the reason Wirfs is playing on the right side.  It neither proves nor disputes that he can play on the left.  So until Wirfs proves he can, in fact, protect the blind side, I'm unwilling to rank him above Becton.  Simple as that.  

• Upvote 2

All things considered Becton has been the best by a country mile. I can't believe I just typed that. 

Seriously, Becton was clearly a boom/bust prospect, and he's proven that he has a great head on his shoulders to stay in shape and work on his craft. 

Put Thuney next to him in 2021 and we'll be running left all day. 

Don't we need to wait 3 years, or is that only when our guy sucks?

Hahahahaha. Well played man. That was good.

And I still think 3 years should be adhered to before we label bust or HOF. Member when Dorian Boose led the league in sacks that one preseason?
lol.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

Beginning with 45 consecutive starts.

Sure.  Ogden was a freak and not the norm.  Just saying its possible that a large human can have a long, successful NFL career.  Becton might not because of lack of health.  The hope is this year ends up being an anomaly.  

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sure.  Ogden was a freak and not the norm.  Just saying its possible that a large human can have a long, successful NFL career.  Becton might not because of lack of health.  The hope is this year ends up being an anomaly.  

Keep in mind Becton had no preseason camp or preseason period..

• Upvote 1

On 12/4/2020 at 12:57 PM, Lith said:

I have not watched enough to have an opinion on anyone but Becton and I am very happy with what I have seen of Becton.  As long as he stays healthy, looks like we hvae a stud to anchor the line for the next decade.

If Gase comes back next year he will make Becton a tight end.

• Sympathy 1