politicians asking Lions to hire Saleh

k-met57

its amazing to me that people in government would be so oblivious as to make something like this public. you'd think they would have enough sense to know that maybe politicians are not the right people to make coach hiring recommendations. all that being said, politicians are generally clueless, so not that surprised...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30449212/michigan-legislators-ask-detroit-lions-owner-sheila-ford-hamp-hire-robert-saleh

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

Seems like everyone is pushing for this, from players to media. He's a pretty obvious choice, being from just outside of Detroit and having started his coaching career at Mich St.

I guess it is a little weird for politicians to talk about a coaching vacancy but they obviously think it will influence voters.

5 minutes ago, isired said:

Seems like everyone is pushing for this, from players to media. He's a pretty obvious choice, being from just outside of Detroit and having started his coaching career at Mich St.

I guess it is a little weird for politicians to talk about a coaching vacancy but they obviously think it will influence voters.

In 1987, it was also "obvious" that the Pacers would draft Indiana G Steve Alford in the 1st round.  Hometown boy staying in his home state, seemed like a no-brainer.

Instead they went with UCLA product Reggie Miller.  Fans were outraged.

Good thing fans don't make these decisions.  Though in the Jets' case under Maccagnan that would have been an improvement.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

If I'm the Lions (or any sports team)  I go 180 degrees away from any Pol. recommendation.  They're TOTALLY clueless, especially in Michigan. 

Why? The pols there have no worse a track record than the Lions ownership. At least reading up on the guy, he has been a successful coach/coordinator elsewhere.

It wouldn't be like hiring a repeat failed coordinator and coach like ... oh, never mind.

I can't root against the Lions: they have had a comparably miserable existence to our own. I actually would love it if they faced off in the Super Bowl in 3-5 years.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1