When did you know Coach Gase was not the answer?

AtticusGase

I was skeptical from the start because I always think a head coach who gets fired should have to wait a few years before jumping right back on the horse. (Said the same thing when Mangjni went to Cleveland)

When I saw how bad the offense looked early on, I went back and read all of the criticisms of Gase in Miami and noted the statistically poor offenses. From then onwards, I expected him to fail here.

However, I never saw it getting anywhere near this bad. I feared mediocrity, not historically bad ineptitude. 

• Upvote 1

Before he was hired.  His performance at the first press conference simply put an exclamation mark on that!  In the storied history of breathtakingly stupid executive decisions, this ranks No. 1.  Kotite hiring a close second but I believe that Leon Hess had the excuse of dementia at that time.

About midway through this season. However I wouldn’t have fired him until after the Raiders game. I don’t think firing HCs mid-season accomplishes much. However when they fired Williams, Gase should have gone with him. As HC he has the right to veto any play call Williams makes and he failed to do so. If I owned the team and felt what Williams did was a fireable offense, IMO Gase is just as culpable if not more so than Williams.

I started to question why the NFL doesn't drug test their coaching staffs immediately following his first ever Jets press conference; he looked like he was on something. 

I disliked everything about him during our 1-7 start last year and wanted to believe in him after our 6-2 finish last year; but that didn't last long. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I started to question why the NFL doesn't drug test their coaching staffs immediately following his first ever Jets press conference; he looked like he was on something. 

I disliked everything about him during our 1-7 start last year and wanted to believe in him after our 6-2 finish last year; but that didn't last long. 

Pretty much where I am at.  Hated the hire at first, but decided to give him a chance and judge him based on his tenure with the Jets, not worrying about what he did with Miami.  I actually went into last season optimistic, but that hope was crushed early in the season.

After the 6-2 finish last year, I thought he earned the right to have another season.  But we were so bad early this season, getting blown out week after week, so poorly prepared, and Darnold was clearly regressing under Gase's leadership.  He had lost me by the end of September.  Hopefully a month from now he will be in our past.  Right up there with the likes of Kotite, Holtz, Winner, Bowles, etc.

16 hours ago, AtticusGase said:

For me it was the Philadelphia game week 4 of last year. Had the feel of a preseason game. 

Intro presser confirmed all of my feelings from the announcement that we hired him.  It's been a futile exercise of patience and positive thinking ever since. He can't be fired soon enough. 

The momentum started when the Jets were the Dolphins' first win last season, and then the case was closed when the Bengals beat the Jets in 2019, with Gase rolling out the weakest game plan in NFL history after not spending Thanksgiving with his family. 

He needs to go now.  Whether he makes it to NEP week 17 is just dependent upon whether he or his replacement has a better chance of losing the game.   I actually don't trust him to lock in the tank if BB tries to hand the game to him. 

i think the biggest thing is we finally saw the forest for the tees about the jets.  i don't think many people realized how bereft of talent the jets were before gase came in.  sure there were guys like leo and adams on the team and it was thought darnold was more than good enough to win.  but then gase comes in and basically cleans house and all of those maccagnan misses became very evident.  in most ways the team that's on the field is more indicative of the low talent level than any coaching issue.

I wanted Mike McCarthy and started immediately talking myself into liking the bug eyed Adam Gase when I saw he worked with Nick Saban, Mike Martz, and was getting a major endorsement by Peyton Manning. I knew he was the wrong guy after the first quarter of this season was completed. I began looking at tankathon and counting my lucky stars the Johnsons would keep him for the entire season. 

I say this in all seriousness. I knew he was the wrong guy the moment he was rumored to be a candidate. Not once did I feel confident that he was the right guy. 

A fired head coach needs time to reflect on what he did wrong. At best, he should have been an offensive coordinator for a team with a QB who calls his own plays.