PK’s Zach Wilson scouting report

1 hour ago, Stark said:

I didn’t “time” his time to throw but I felt like he had a lot of time to throw. Don’t see him go through any progression. While he moves well the lvl of defense should be a concern. 

credit @Patriot Killa for the work/write up, I just don’t see it with Wilson. I know the “hot” qb now that we most like have no shot at Lawrence is Wilson because he just had a good game in a bowl game that shouldn’t exist.

my thoughts on Wilson. No way I take him at 2. I either trade the pick and expedite the rebuild and possibly bring a veteran on to compete with Sam. And as much as I hate to say that we have a lot of needs. Or I take Sewell and figure it out from there. Having a top oline is important to any qb, rb or game plan protect whomever the qb will be for years. 

if Wilson is around with a later first round pick and if JD pegs him as his guy fine. I personally don’t see it. I definitely don’t see the overreacting tv scouts calling him Aaron Rodgers lol, and the problem with his game is I see a lot of throws that aren’t completions in the NFL.  

this is coming from a guy that advocated taking Mahomes with the 6th pick. And that is not hindsight I said it in threads before the draft.  I just don’t see it with Wilson. He’s the hot button name and JETS fans are so frustrated with the QB play that they seem to want to settle for anything because “no qb can be worse than what we have” 

Remember all the players that look like they are about to be out of the league with Gase and what happens when Gase is no longer in the picture. Whether or not we stick with Sam for another year I think we are best served flipping the 2nd overall pick or taking Sewell at 2  

Good post. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Stark said:

I didn’t “time” his time to throw but I felt like he had a lot of time to throw. Don’t see him go through any progression. While he moves well the lvl of defense should be a concern. 

credit @Patriot Killa for the work/write up, I just don’t see it with Wilson. I know the “hot” qb now that we most like have no shot at Lawrence is Wilson because he just had a good game in a bowl game that shouldn’t exist.

my thoughts on Wilson. No way I take him at 2. I either trade the pick and expedite the rebuild and possibly bring a veteran on to compete with Sam. And as much as I hate to say that we have a lot of needs. Or I take Sewell and figure it out from there. Having a top oline is important to any qb, rb or game plan protect whomever the qb will be for years. 

if Wilson is around with a later first round pick and if JD pegs him as his guy fine. I personally don’t see it. I definitely don’t see the overreacting tv scouts calling him Aaron Rodgers lol, and the problem with his game is I see a lot of throws that aren’t completions in the NFL.  

this is coming from a guy that advocated taking Mahomes with the 6th pick. And that is not hindsight I said it in threads before the draft.  I just don’t see it with Wilson. He’s the hot button name and JETS fans are so frustrated with the QB play that they seem to want to settle for anything because “no qb can be worse than what we have” 

Remember all the players that look like they are about to be out of the league with Gase and what happens when Gase is no longer in the picture. Whether or not we stick with Sam for another year I think we are best served flipping the 2nd overall pick or taking Sewell at 2  

Which players looked like they were going to be out of the league with Gase? That’s just not a true statement. Besides Tannehill no one has really been anything more after Gase. You could argue Geseki except he was a rookie when Gase was with him.

I disagree about the progressions. Wilson barely puts the ball in harms way. He isn’t a panicked runner. So he is either good at identifying where not to throw the ball or his OC is legendary. All of the top QBs this year are well protected players so it’s projection there for everyone from Lawrence to Trask.

11 hours ago, Stark said:

know the “hot” qb now that we most like have no shot at Lawrence is Wilson because he just had a good game in a bowl game that shouldn’t exist.

As always I respect your opinion Stark but it wasn’t just the good bowl game. He has a TD/INT ratio of 33/3 for a reason. He’s played phenomenal this entire season. 3 interceptionable passes. 

• Upvote 1

Personally I’m finished with Sam. Don’t care to build around him because that’s settling just as much as the other route. No, I think Wilson is a real prospect and it isn’t just “settling” from where we were with Trevor Lawrence. Wilson has his concerns but I don’t think any of those concerns have to do with Wilson as a arm talent because he’s clearly got it. As far as progressions I’ve seen him hold safeties with his eyes and fire as soon as he can take advantage of the DB’s positioning, I’ve seen him anticipate routes and throw to the top of one before the WR gets there & He honestly looks like he has better understanding of ball placement than everyone’s golden boy but I do see him roll out of some clean pockets(luckily, he isn’t a guy that usually rolls himself into unnecessary pressure) and I see him struggle a bit with seeing late rotations in the D post-snap, this isn’t to say he cannot go thru progressions well but he does has an issue with that. Justin Fields has issues with his internal clock and he goes thru his progression like a snail at times. They all have their warts. I think Wilson can play in this league.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Personally I’m finished with Sam. Don’t care to build around him because that’s settling just as much as the other route. No, I think Wilson is a real prospect and it isn’t just “settling” from where we were with Trevor Lawrence. Wilson has his concerns but I don’t think any of those concerns have to do with Wilson as a passer because he’s clearly got it. As far as progressions I’ve seen him hold safeties with his eyes and fire as soon as he can take advantage of the DB’s positioning, I’ve seen him anticipate routes and throw to the top of one before the WR gets there. He honestly looks like he has better understanding of ball placement than everyone’s golden boy.

Tell you what, the throw he made on the TD right before the half the other night was special. The coverage was perfect, and he led his guy right to the ball. If Goff could have done that on the throw Maye broke up at the end of the game, we wouldn't even be talking about these other QB's.?

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Losmeister said:

thanks for taking the time.

as ever we'll hafta wait and see how all these guys turn out...  TLaw, JFields, Zach, Mac,Trask and Trey

remember, 95% JN was overjoyed that Sam "fell to us"... we're set for 15 years, we will have the best QB in the AFCE for a generation!!!

Which also demonstrates that unaccounted for environmental factors such as coaching and team composition must somehow be taken into consideration.

A Buffalo team that developed its defensive and offensive talent through good drafting and key FAs was able to give a QB that was average at best the opportunities to develop his talent.

The Jets have been stuck in a malaise between purging over salaries talent and poor drafting to reset its talent acquisition capability to start rebuilding next year.

In doing so, the Jets failed to give the QB the supporting talent and also failed to address his development and then correct his degradation that arose because of the talent deficiency. A vicious cycle that misaligns QB and team development and ensures, if uncorrected that we will continue this cycle of disaster and frustration.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, QB1 said:

His frame is nothing like Murray/Wilson even Baker is  thick by comparison.

I really really don’t get the Kyler Murray comp. Murray is an elite athlete that has 4.3 speed  and is a true dual threat QB. 

my comp is Johnny Manziel 

Yup, he looks more like Burrow to me, skinny kid. 

And Russell Wilson is 5'10, 230lbs...Don't see why he even gets mentioned as a comp.

Skinny is different than short, and while it's possible to gain more mass, how does that effect  QB,  and does Wilson have the frame for it? 

Whatever. I stopped caring about what happens in the future for this franchise,  I'm just a witness, now. ? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ian Fleming said:

Which also demonstrates that unaccounted for environmental factors such as coaching and team composition must somehow be taken into consideration.

A Buffalo team that developed its defensive and offensive talent through good drafting and key FAs was able to give a QB that was average at best the opportunities to develop his talent.

The Jets have been stuck in a malaise between purging over salaries talent and poor drafting to reset its talent acquisition capability to start rebuilding next year.

In doing so, the Jets failed to give the QB the supporting talent and also failed to address his development and then correct his degradation that arose because of the talent deficiency. A vicious cycle that misaligns QB and team development and ensures, if uncorrected that we will continue this cycle of disaster and frustration.

as recently as Sanchez we saw the QB fail the development of the rest of the team.  it can always go both ways. i'd rather have a good/excellent QB with a cast slightly behind than the other way round ...

Burrow and Herbert look great on poor teams.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, QB1 said:

Ok you’re clueless

a QB with Wilson’s frame can work in the NFL but not with his play style. The idea that he will be a dual threat in the NFL is absurd, which makes the murray comparison laughable 

Rodgers is the best scenario for him, also a guy that’s a little slighter

but he doesn’t play like Rodgers, he is much more reckless. It also looks to me like he tries to rip every throw where Rodgers shows a much wider variety of touch. 

You are the one that is clueless, despite him being a gunslinger he is actually the most ball secure QB in CFB. He has only thrown 4 -FOUR!! balls that were interceptable this year. It is part of what makes him SO compelling. There is actually nothing reckless about him.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You are the one that is clueless, despite him being a gunslinger he is actually the most ball secure QB in CFB. He has only thrown 4 -FOUR!! balls that were interceptable this year. It is part of what makes him SO compelling. There is actually nothing reckless about him.

He is reckless running the ball. 

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I agree with your enthusiasm for Wilson.  He is very protective of the ball, and IMO is going to be an impact QB in the NFL.  He is reckless in giving up his body for the good of the team.  That will change in the NFL hopefully.   In all honesty it's the only flaw I can find in his game.  

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

When Zach Wilson works on the NFL level I want an apology from everyone in my PM’s immediately.

No one has said that he can’t work in the NFL. The question is if we should use the second overall pick on him. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, StrawberryFields said:

I’m a Fields guy, but this is ridiculous. Who cares? He’s 21 years old-he will put on weight. That’s easy. 

That's the thing 

He couldn't bench press for a all of last year 

It's hard to put on weight from the training table 

If everyone is saying that he's Aaron Rodgers, take him with the late first like Aaron Rodgers. Not at 2

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

As always I respect your opinion Stark but it wasn’t just the good bowl game. He has a TD/INT ratio of 33/3 for a reason. He’s played phenomenal this entire season. 3 interceptionable passes. 

He's played no one tho. Wilson would be a great senior bowl guy tbh because his stats against coastal Carolina and ball state aren't doing much 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I agree with your enthusiasm for Wilson.  He is very protective of the ball, and IMO is going to be an impact QB in the NFL.  He is reckless in giving up his body for the good of the team.  That will change in the NFL hopefully.   In all honesty it's the only flaw I can find in his game.  

He knows how to slide and will be strongly coached to do so. It is a slight concern as is the struggles with rushes up the middle, but Tom Brady still struggles with that and just intentionally grounds the ball and gets called on it once every 50 times or so. I think he is clearly the #2. I am not a QB guru and will be interested to see Greg Cossell's thoughts on him, but to me he is one of the best passers I have ever seen. Consistently, not just in a highlight reel situation.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He's played no one tho. Wilson would be a great senior bowl guy tbh because his stats against coastal Carolina and ball state aren't doing much 

You can still look at his release, how fast he finds the open guy, arm strength, accuracy, placement, decision making and all are at ELITE levels.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Yup, he looks more like Burrow to me, skinny kid. 

And Russell Wilson is 5'10, 230lbs...Don't see why he even gets mentioned as a comp.

Skinny is different than short, and while it's possible to gain more mass, how does that effect  QB,  and does Wilson have the frame for it? 

Whatever. I stopped caring about what happens in the future for this franchise,  I'm just a witness, now. ? 

Russ aint no 230. DOnt know if that was a typo. 

The last part is very close to my own truth as well....

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Actually his stats might not show it, but the Coastal Carolina game might have been one of his best games of the year.  BYU's OL broke  down a bit, Wilson was hurried,and hit on 50% of his passes.   Jeffrey Gunter #94 made it his personal mission to kill Wilson.  Could have been 6-7 roughing the passer flags.  The refs didn't throw them.  Game made me a believer.

The talent level around Wilson is no better then the teams he played against.  Lets face it BYU doesn't exactly have the recuiting base of any other team in the country. 99% of the players are Mormon.   An example: BYU has 1 player on it's roster from Florida (I'm willing to bet he's a Mormon)  Alabama has 17

6 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Actually his stats might not show it, but the Coastal Carolina game might have been one of his best games of the year.  BYU's OL broke  down a bit, Wilson was hurried,and hit on 50% of his passes.   Jeffrey Gunter #94 made it his personal mission to kill Wilson.  Could have been 6-7 roughing the passer flags.  The refs didn't throw them.  Game made me a believer.

The talent level around Wilson is no better then the teams he played against.  Lets face it BYU doesn't exactly have the recuiting base of any other team in the country. 99% of the players are Mormon.   An example: BYU has 1 player on it's roster from Florida (I'm willing to bet he's a Mormon)  Alabama has 17

Wilson also nearly orchestrated a beautiful comeback victory at the end of that game.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

We play in the AFC, unless you have a Super Star QB your ****ed. Outside of Lawrence none of these Jags are.

More waste of time players, we love to draft. So the plan Draft a Jag, get a 3rd for Darnold, and suck some more, with some old retread H.C, I hate 2020. 

Wilson’s ball placement consistency > Trevor Lawrence’s. 

with that said of course I’d pick Lawrence over anyone else. That ship has likely sailed and it was time for me to accept that. I don’t see Wilson or Fields as JAG QB’s though. They both have plenty of upside imo. We can still get a talented passer in this draft.

On 12/25/2020 at 1:18 PM, Patriot Killa said:

How many times does Darnold’s “thick trunky” frame have to get banged up for 3 games a year until you realize injuries just happen no matter who it’s to.

This is true.

Zach Wilson is the same size as Kirk Cousins: 6’3, 202

He’s been fairly durable. 

• Upvote 1