What happens if Fields outplays Lawrence tonite?

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

As for Sewell - Hard to imagine a worse use of resources than that pick.  We've already drafted a pretty good LT in Becton, so, you're either drafting a RT in Sewell, or moving Becton to RT.  So, your not upgrading LT in a meaningful way, you're upgrading RT, a position that you don't spend the #2 overall pick on.  Not only that, with all the problems on this roster, you're upgrading RT over a guy, in Fant, who wasn't all that bad.  But wait, that's not all!  Which one plays RT?  Which one voluntarily takes the huge paycut in their second contract, as a RT vs. the far more premier LT?  So, you create a financial problem for one of these players and certainly a locker room issue.  Either one, asked to play RT, should immediately ask for a trade.

In a vacuum the current line is probably better with the tackles flipped. Playing Becton on the left side entails certain assumptions about the future which would change if Sewell were in play at 2, which he shouldn't be under any circumstances. They have to take a quarterback but if they don't they have to take Sewell. This stuff about second contracts is insane. What happens if you take Chase and he can't beat press?

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

I appreciate you owning it.

At the same time, I'm struggling with any QB take from posters who have watched "Sammy" since the Rose Bowl, and still think he's capable of anything more than what we've already seen.  None of us know what Fields will become with any certainty, but, the question is, do we believe he's a meaningful upgrade over the worst QB in the NFL over the past three years, statistically.  There's enough evidence to say yes.  And, as for poor decision making, how can one be a fan of "Sammy," and judge others poor decision making.  Because, "Sammy" makes a ton of poor decisions, without any of the upside you saw with the whole 6 TDs thing.

As for Sewell - Hard to imagine a worse use of resources than that pick.  We've already drafted a pretty good LT in Becton, so, you're either drafting a RT in Sewell, or moving Becton to RT.  So, your not upgrading LT in a meaningful way, you're upgrading RT, a position that you don't spend the #2 overall pick on.  Not only that, with all the problems on this roster, you're upgrading RT over a guy, in Fant, who wasn't all that bad.  But wait, that's not all!  Which one plays RT?  Which one voluntarily takes the huge paycut in their second contract, as a RT vs. the far more premier LT?  So, you create a financial problem for one of these players and certainly a locker room issue.  Either one, asked to play RT, should immediately ask for a trade.

Ultimately, your plan is absurd though, you have to see this right?  You select someone you "absolutely believe can be a franchise QB," but not "waste a top 5 pick on."  How often do you find someone you "absolutely believe is a franchise QB" outside of top 5, and why would someone you "absolutely believe is a franchise QB" not worth top 5.

Lastly, "rip into" anyone you like.  No one, as far as I've seen, is calling Fields, a flawless prospect.  They're saying he looks good, and we're sitting at 2 with the leagues worst QB in "Sammy," and this guy gives you a reasonable possibility of improving upon that.

After I appreciate you owning it this is all just drivel. Don't think because I was wrong about Fields performance last night that it gives you the righteous voice. You're not any more knowledgeable than the rest of us. I'll bet if I looked hard enough (but I don't care, so I won't) I could find plenty of things you've been flat out wrong about. 

All of what you claim about Sammy is your opinion and nothing more. Talent matters and Sammy has never been given a fair chance at developing into something better. Mac was a horrible GM that provided Sammy with no OL. He was set up to fail by an incompetent GM, so that's exactly what he's done. I hope I'll get to see the new HC either go all in with Sammy or at the very least give him an opportunity to compete for the starting job.

And your claim that picking Sewell is a big waste of resources is the biggest crock of sh*t I've ever heard. QB's are always the very biggest of risks and that's common sense. OL is the very safest of picks. The odds are in your favor when you draft an OL, let alone one as NFL ready as Sewell. Placing him at RT gives you truly dominant book ends. As for you claiming Fant has played well? Well, all I can say that's the FIRST time I've ever heard that claim! The entire right side of the Jets OL has been straight up GARBAGE all season. Lol Drafting Sewell is an excellent step in once and for all fixing an enormous problem for this team for 5 years now. Draft a Center as well and suddenly you have a young, dominant OL that provides a decent running game and protection for a neglected and mismanaged young QB. And it's pure stupidity to run away from a talented OL because you're afraid of negotiating a second contract that's probably five years away. That is so totally absurd. And even if you do have that problem in 5 years.... That's a very good problem to have.

In regards to your QB question.... How often does that happen outside the top 5? See Chiefs Pat Mahomes, see Steelers Ben Roethlisberger, see Packers Aaron Rodgers, see Seahawks Russell Wilson, see Ravens Lamar Jackson, and I'm sure there's plenty of other great examples of franchise QB's taken outside of the top 5. That question is so easy to answer it's like shooting fish in a barrel. I could also lists endless names of QB's taken top 5 that ultimately became busts in the NFL. Now without looking, I'll bet you can't find anywhere near as many bust OL taken in the top 5? I'd be quite interested to see the answer to that question?

And as for Fields, he gives you No more reasonable expectation of improving your QB than Justin Fields, Mac Jones, or hell even SAM DARNOLD.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

You really must have something against Fields. That interception was tipped - he was throwing it out of the end zone. You don't take a left tackle when you have the best young left tackle in the league - it's a poor use of assets. Our line has also been playing well as of late. We will add a free agent, pick up a G in the 3rd round and be set there. We have plenty of young guys on the line that need to play. You have a QB that showed leadership, guts, toughness and excellent accuracy and ability to scan the field. It was an all time performance on a big stage. Add to that he's fast as hell, very athletic, can buy time in the pocket, and is a very smart kid - what more could you ask for? Fields has been highly touted for a long time. He had a couple of bad games in his entire career - most recently with a badly injured thumb and one game with 22 teammates out of the lineup. He's showed more poise, athletic ability and accuracy than TL. Fields is not a fast riser - he's always been considered the best QB after TL. He may end up as the better pro - we'll see.

This is silly. You're making excuses for that pick he threw in the end zone?! He shouldn't have thrown the pass to begin with. What was there? Double, triple coverage? It was a purely DUMB throw. Suffice to say, your opinion and mine differ. I respect your opinion, however I 100% disagree with it.

2 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

This is silly. You're making excuses for that pick he threw in the end zone?! He shouldn't have thrown the pass to begin with. What was there? Double, triple coverage? It was a purely DUMB throw. Suffice to say, your opinion and mine differ. I respect your opinion, however I 100% disagree with it.

He was more than likely throwing it away. By your standards there has never been a good quarterback in the history of football.

• Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

After I appreciate you owning it this is all just drivel. Don't think because I was wrong about Fields performance last night that it gives you the righteous voice. You're not any more knowledgeable than the rest of us. I'll bet if I looked hard enough (but I don't care, so I won't) I could find plenty of things you've been flat out wrong about. 

All of what you claim about Sammy is your opinion and nothing more. Talent matters and Sammy has never been given a fair chance at developing into something better. Mac was a horrible GM that provided Sammy with no OL. He was set up to fail by an incompetent GM, so that's exactly what he's done. I hope I'll get to see the new HC either go all in with Sammy or at the very least give him an opportunity to compete for the starting job.

And your claim that picking Sewell is a big waste of resources is the biggest crock of sh*t I've ever heard. QB's are always the very biggest of risks and that's common sense. OL is the very safest of picks. The odds are in your favor when you draft an OL, let alone one as NFL ready as Sewell. Placing him at RT gives you truly dominant book ends. As for you claiming Fant has played well? Well, all I can say that's the FIRST time I've ever heard that claim! The entire right side of the Jets OL has been straight up GARBAGE all season. Lol Drafting Sewell is an excellent step in once and for all fixing an enormous problem for this team for 5 years now. Draft a Center as well and suddenly you have a young, dominant OL that provides a decent running game and protection for a neglected and mismanaged young QB. And it's pure stupidity to run away from a talented OL because you're afraid of negotiating a second contract that's probably five years away. That is so totally absurd. And even if you do have that problem in 5 years.... That's a very good problem to have.

In regards to your QB question.... How often does that happen outside the top 5? See Chiefs Pat Mahomes, see Steelers Ben Roethlisberger, see Packers Aaron Rodgers, see Seahawks Russell Wilson, see Ravens Lamar Jackson, and I'm sure there's plenty of other great examples of franchise QB's taken outside of the top 5. That question is so easy to answer it's like shooting fish in a barrel. I could also lists endless names of QB's taken top 5 that ultimately became busts in the NFL. Now without looking, I'll bet you can't find anywhere near as many bust OL taken in the top 5? I'd be quite interested to see the answer to that question?

And as for Fields, he gives you No more reasonable expectation of improving your QB than Justin Fields, Mac Jones, or hell even SAM DARNOLD.

My "opinion" on "Sammy" isn't an opinion, it's a fact.  Your excuses make room for an opinion, but the stats are that "Sammy" is the worst QB in the NFL over the last three years.  As for my track record, I'm comfortable comparing it to anyone who calls the QB "Sammy" and still thinks he's worth sh*t after 3 years.  I'm not sure that makes me more righteous or knowledgeable, but probably, less dumb.  The rest isn't worth engaging with, as most of it doesn't even demonstrate a basic understanding of the points made.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

In a vacuum the current line is probably better with the tackles flipped. Playing Becton on the left side entails certain assumptions about the future which would change if Sewell were in play at 2, which he shouldn't be under any circumstances. They have to take a quarterback but if they don't they have to take Sewell. This stuff about second contracts is insane. What happens if you take Chase and he can't beat press?

Second contracts isn't worrying about what the Jets do.  It's worry about the player's response.

7 minutes ago, QB1 said:

He was more than likely throwing it away. By your standards there has never been a good quarterback in the history of football.

He was throwing it away by attempting to throw a what? 50 yard bomb out the back of the end zone? When all he had to do was run outside the pocket and throw the ball past the LOS? This is absurd. The only conclusion you can draw from that play is that he simply didn't see or pay attention to the coverage. And it's not like this is the first time he's ever done it. See Indiana.....

9 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

My "opinion" on "Sammy" isn't an opinion, it's a fact.  Your excuses make room for an opinion, but the stats are that "Sammy" is the worst QB in the NFL over the last three years.  As for my track record, I'm comfortable comparing it to anyone who calls the QB "Sammy" and still thinks he's worth sh*t after 3 years.  I'm not sure that makes me more righteous or knowledgeable, but probably, less dumb.  The rest isn't worth engaging with, as most of it doesn't even demonstrate a basic understanding of the points made.

Yes, because you don't understand the point to begin with. Oh, and I'm so sorry that I refer to Darnold as Sammy as if that has any relevance to anything, dingbat.

24 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

If you can't see that he was attempting to throw the ball out of bounds, then I don't know what to tell you lol. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

He was throwing it away by attempting to throw a what? 50 yard bomb out the back of the end zone? When all he had to do was run outside the pocket and throw the ball past the LOS? This is absurd. The only conclusion you can draw from that play is that he simply didn't see or pay attention to the coverage. And it's not like this is the first time he's ever done it. See Indiana.....

I did see Indiana, multiple times. No relation to that play,

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

That's fair, and that's what makes this message board interesting. I just think he was throwing the ball out of the end zone because nothing was there or throwing to the back end to see if his guy could make a play. I could be wrong, just my opinion.

19 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

That's fair, and that's what makes this message board interesting. I just think he was throwing the ball out of the end zone because nothing was there or throwing to the back end to see if his guy could make a play. I could be wrong, just my opinion.

Yes, he was throwing to the back end, except he either didn't see the defense or didn't care. Either way there's no way that pass should have left his hand. He should have left the pocket using his exceptional athleticism (I'm not being facetious, he is a great athlete IMO) and thrown the ball beyond the LOS and into the cheap seats. And this is just one reason why I do NOT want any part of drafting Justin Fields the QB.

• Thumb Down 1

54 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Yes, he was throwing to the back end, except he either didn't see the defense or didn't care. Either way there's no way that pass should have left his hand. He should have left the pocket using his exceptional athleticism (I'm not being facetious, he is a great athlete IMO) and thrown the ball beyond the LOS and into the cheap seats. And this is just one reason why I do NOT want any part of drafting Justin Fields the QB.

1) He was trying to throw it out of bounds.

2) He was playing hurt

3) Mostly no QB is perfect. Even Trevor Lawrence. I guess you don't want him either since he also threw an INT and fumbled 3 times last night - and also threw a pass right into their DB that should have been another interception, right? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

36 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

With hurt ribs, I don't think that's exactly the best idea

• Upvote 3

On 1/1/2021 at 10:37 AM, rayzor said:

Posted this earlier but it's an interesting read on how close Fields is to Trevor:

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/trevor-lawrence-isnt-held-to-the-same-standard-as-justin-fields/

Leonard Nimoy Reaction GIF

While Lawrence could wind up being a terrific NFL quarterback for years, he and Fields are nearly indistinguishable over the last 2 seasons. Here’s a blind resume test:

• Player A: 58 TD passes, 12 INTs, 67.2 completion percentage, 9.26 yards per attempt, 16 rushing TDs, 23-1 record
  • Player B: 56 TD passes, 8 INTs, 68.9 completion percentage, 9.25 yards per attempt, 15 rushing TDs, 19-1 record

You can probably guess based off the total games that Lawrence is Player A and Fields is Player B, but isn’t it stunning how close they are in terms of production?

And if you want to dive in a little deeper on those numbers, 4 of the 6 defenses that Fields has faced this season are in the top 31 nationally in terms of yards per pass attempt, while Lawrence has faced just 1 in his 9 games (Miami). In 2019, Fields faced 7 top-30 defenses, while Lawrence faced 3 (Texas A&M, Ohio State and LSU), none of which were even from his own conference. Not surprisingly, Fields also has had a better overall grade from Pro Football Focus in each of the last 2 seasons: 92.4-92.0 this season and 91.5-91.1 last season. Considering that Lawrence rarely plays in bad weather while playing in substandard passing conditions is a way of life in the Big Ten, Fields has quite the resume.

Given all of that data, it strikes me as odd that Lawrence has never been held to the same standard as Fields. Every mistake from Fields — like his 3-interception game against Indiana — is magnified on sports talk shows and in QB debates and puts him in danger of dropping below BYU’s Zach Wilson or North Dakota State’s Trey Lance, while Lawrence can seemingly do no wrong, despite a lot of evidence that Lawrence makes just as many mistakes as Fields. Lawrence, for example, has thrown an interception once every 68.1 passes, while Fields has thrown an interception once every 69.6 passes.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

Have you WATCHED the last 3 seasons of Jets Football??

LOL

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Because “Sammy” never misses reads or throws absolutely stupid interceptions.

1605E4A3-B543-4FF8-BEE2-E80302BC4C08.thumb.jpeg.02f7b2e32cd0302b86604bd4efe72e05.jpeg1A9A4462-F03B-4BD9-9FBD-DDEE8F8F4DBD.thumb.jpeg.38240f75e1d49e4f5a745a0ec0dc201f.jpegE696F5AD-FC51-4880-A9E6-B528D84A2CE2.thumb.jpeg.b391cdc64ff720df9ca7c1df626c5155.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Fields had a huge game and helped our positioning at #2 a ton. Last night was good news no matter how everything pans out.

I was really leaning towards a trade down. After watching the whole game end to end I don't think I am. I'd be fine with taking either of the Top 2 QBs and may be disappointed if we trade out.

5 hours ago, TeddEY said:

As for Sewell - Hard to imagine a worse use of resources than that pick.  

Watching TL get swamped by the Ohio State pass rush last night, there's a very "Joe Burrow" scenario where the Jets take this QB at 2, can't protect him or support him with weapons and he ends up just like Sam Darnold 

TBH that Ohio State offense is studly. The TE from Lindenhurst was a beast, 3 of those 5 linemen are future first round picks  etc. 

Everyone says QB is everything but without a support system the QB can get steamrolled real easy 

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

I have been vocal about my criticism of fields, well he shut me down last night with that game 

@QB1

@56mehl56

@slats

And any other pro fields dudes out there I'm eating crow and happy to be wrong. This is a crow eating post 

That was as big a performance as any prospect can have and if he does it again vs Bama in 10 days he might be worth 1

Imagine if Jacksonville hires urban Meyer as is rumored. He recruited fields. 

I'm at the point where I can accept all 3 of these options. Either fields at 2, TL at 2 or Sewell at 2 are all legit.

As long as they don't trade down cause this team needs stars 

Respect 

2 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

1) He was trying to throw it out of bounds.

2) He was playing hurt

3) Mostly no QB is perfect. Even Trevor Lawrence. I guess you don't want him either since he also threw an INT and fumbled 3 times last night - and also threw a pass right into their DB that should have been another interception, right? 

Keep shouting number 1 loud enough and you may start to believe yourself. Lol

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Because “Sammy” never misses reads or throws absolutely stupid interceptions.

1605E4A3-B543-4FF8-BEE2-E80302BC4C08.thumb.jpeg.02f7b2e32cd0302b86604bd4efe72e05.jpeg1A9A4462-F03B-4BD9-9FBD-DDEE8F8F4DBD.thumb.jpeg.38240f75e1d49e4f5a745a0ec0dc201f.jpegE696F5AD-FC51-4880-A9E6-B528D84A2CE2.thumb.jpeg.b391cdc64ff720df9ca7c1df626c5155.jpeg

So what's your point,  Mogglez? Because you apparently think Sam has been doing this for the last 3 seasons, we should immediately grab another guy that just did the same mind numbingly STUPID move?

WASH

RINSE

REPEAT 

Wow, what a brilliant course of action you have mapped out for us. Lol

7 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

So what's your point,  Mogglez? Because you apparently think Sam has been doing this for the last 3 seasons, we should immediately grab another guy that just did the same mind numbingly STUPID move?

WASH

RINSE

REPEAT 

Wow, what a brilliant course of action you have mapped out for us. Lol

First of all, I don’t “think” he’s been doing it for three years.  “Sammy” has been doing it for three years.

There is an enormous difference between a college prospect missing reads and a 3rd NFL year vet missing reads.  Unless you hold the mind-numbingly ridiculous opinion that college QBs come out of college are ready to make pro-style reads, almost all of the college kids coming out need to be coached up to do this.

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Watching TL get swamped by the Ohio State pass rush last night, there's a very "Joe Burrow" scenario where the Jets take this QB at 2, can't protect him or support him with weapons and he ends up just like Sam Darnold 

TBH that Ohio State offense is studly. The TE from Lindenhurst was a beast, 3 of those 5 linemen are future first round picks  etc. 

Everyone says QB is everything but without a support system the QB can get steamrolled real easy 

Is there another way to support a QB besides using a 2 to improve the RT position?  Or is that the only option?  Like, if we draft Fields, are we prohibited from drafting other linemen?  Any moratorium on FA signings?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Is there another way to support a QB besides using a 2 to improve the RT position?  Or is that the only option?  Like, if we draft Fields, are we prohibited from drafting other linemen?  Any moratorium on FA signings?

Well it would make up for not drafting any OL for 15 years