What happens if Fields outplays Lawrence tonite?

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

IMO, Jags still take Lawrence, Fields jumps back into the 2nd spot.  Only thing that could possibility change that is if Fields plays lights out in both games and wins the National Champ.

Yes...interesting take and not out of the realm of possibility..is TL the number 1 no matter what or would Fields have a chance to make the Jags think twice and reconsider? 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

IMO, Jags still take Lawrence, Fields jumps back into the 2nd spot.  Only thing that could possibility change that is if Fields plays lights out in both games and wins the National Champ.

I think Lawrence is the number 1 pick , no matter what outcomes are. Fields performance in one or both games will determine if he is firmly the number 2 pick. Best outcome for Jets, whether they select or trade him. If he wins both games, he will be the Jets pick

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Jags might jag though! Holding out hope haha

• Upvote 1

Short of injury, I don't see much changing based on one game.  This will be Lawrence's 40th start and Fields 21st.  Most of their stories are written.  A good performance from Fields might make some of us on this site more comfortable with him as a potential #2 pick, and might help to solidify him as the #2 QB in the draft, but nothing should change his evaluation relative to Lawrence.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Son goes to Clemson so I'm rooting for TL...but what happens if Lawrence is just so so and Fields plays lights out and OSU wins?..is he the Jets pick?...Johnson will be able to say we got the guy who beat the number 1 pick...sounds just like the Johnson's MO. 

Nothing would happen in the draft.  On this site though you may
have a little less criticism of Fields as our possible pick

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Yes...interesting take and not out of the realm of possibility..is TL the number 1 no matter what or would Fields have a chance to make the Jags think twice and reconsider? 

This has sorta been the very unlikely scenario I’ve been entertaining in the back of my head lately but I just don’t think they’ll take Fields. TL has already been hit with the once in a lifetime talent label on a national level. It’s hard to get that out of peoples heads...even if Fields does win a national championship. I do think it can make Jacksonville hesitate but in the end I’m pretty sure we all know who they’ll pull the trigger on at #1.

1) That will NEVER happen. Lawrence is a superior QB to Fields. Fields is a good overall athlete masquerading as a QB. He's not a good QB. Any team that drafts him will regret the move.

2) Fields will not play well tonight. Justin Fields is a system QB comprised of great athletes superior to their opponents. Tonight, however, he will be facing a defense that has NFL caliber talent. Clemson will design a scheme that will make Fields try things he doesn't like to do. He might have to search for a 3rd or 4th progression when Fields struggles with his 2nd. They will pressure him and probably intercept him at least once. 

The bottom line when it comes to Justin Fields is he should not be drafted. Any team that does will regret the move greatly. He's likely got a place on football field but never as a QB.

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Posted this earlier but it's an interesting read on how close Fields is to Trevor:

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/trevor-lawrence-isnt-held-to-the-same-standard-as-justin-fields/

From that article , this stood out for me: 

And if you want to dive in a little deeper on those numbers, 4 of the 6 defenses that Fields has faced this season are in the top 31 nationally in terms of yards per pass attempt, while Lawrence has faced just 1 in his 9 games (Miami). In 2019, Fields faced 7 top-30 defenses, while Lawrence faced 3 (Texas A&M, Ohio State and LSU), none of which were even from his own conference. Not surprisingly, Fields also has had a better overall grade from Pro Football Focus in each of the last 2 seasons: 92.4-92.0 this season and 91.5-91.1 last season. Considering that Lawrence rarely plays in bad weather while playing in substandard passing conditions is a way of life in the Big Ten, Fields has quite the resume.

• Upvote 2