Thank god for Joe Douglas!

Jetster

6 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I can get with that. I think we'll have a better idea after he hires the next HC plus a full offseason of free agency and the 2021 draft.

He's setting up his criticism of JD when his boy is launched into orbit:

"Darnold is probably still better than the other guys available this year. Might as well trade down multiple times and accumulate picks. "

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

"Darnold is probably still better than the other guys available this year. Might as well trade down multiple times and accumulate picks. "

Darnold supporters getting ready for the mental gymnastics it takes to convince people that he doesn't suck.

day neck GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

You are obsessed.  I would be happy to get rid of Darnold, and never thought he was the guy.  Just not a fan of this years qbs.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

You are obsessed.  I would be happy to get rid of Darnold, and never thought he was the guy.  Just not a fan of this years qbs.  

This is a message board. Debating things with people who disagree is a lot more interesting than with those who agree.

boy, an awful lot of people are hard to please.  true enough douglas has his work cut out for him but even the skeptics have got to see that so far he's devoted more resources to the offense than mac, idzik and even tanny.  it's not his fault that darnold hasn't turned into the franchise qb and we'll see if he tries to draft one or will settle for a vet or even see if morgan is the guy.  funny how one of the blurbs in yesterday's game was discussing the patsies needs and they didn't consider the patsies drafting one.  some of the names were brisset, or stafford or garapollo or rivers.  so, much as the draft makes sense the right guy may be found as a free agent.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

So, you like him because he, basically, because hasn't done anything.  His lack of trying is what you find apealing.

Which I can actually understand - He may be thinking long=term or may just be incompetent.

I tend to agree with you that he's being patient, thinking long-term and essentially threw this year away  ----

but if that is the case, and I hope it is, then we have NO IDEA if he's capable of building a team or not - right now all we know is he can tear one down.

You do know Buffalo began rebuilding in 2017 right? It's 2020 now! Oh, and other than Allen who they hit on & basically fell in their lap they traded for Diggs (not a draft pick), signed Beasley (not a draft pick), John Brown (not a draft pick), Trent Murphy (not a draft pick), Josh Norman (not a draft pick), Micah Hyde (not a draft pick), Jordan Poyer (not a draft pick), Mitch Morse (not a draft pick), Andre Roberts (not a draft pick) Jon Feliciano (not a draft pick)

And the current staff inherited Tredavious White (top 3 NFL CB) & Jerry Hughes 

So as you can see there is a lot more to building a team than the draft. Josh Allen was the lynchpin, but free agency helped an awful lot too. The trade for Diggs really helped Allen. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You do know Buffalo began rebuilding in 2017 right? It's 2020 now! Oh, and other than Allen who they hit on & basically fell in their lap they traded for Diggs (not a draft pick), signed Beasley (not a draft pick), John Brown (not a draft pick), Trent Murphy (not a draft pick), Josh Norman (not a draft pick), Micah Hyde (not a draft pick), Jordan Poyer (not a draft pick), Mitch Morse (not a draft pick), Andre Roberts (not a draft pick) Jon Feliciano (not a draft pick)

And the current staff inherited Tredavious White (top 3 NFL CB) & Jerry Hughes 

So as you can see there is a lot more to building a team than the draft. Josh Allen was the lynchpin, but free agency helped an awful lot too. The trade for Diggs really helped Allen. 

What does any of this have to do with Joe Douglas?

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Time lines. Your dissing Joe Douglas after 1 draft & a crappy free agent pool.

I’m not dissing him at all.

All I’m saying is he hasn’t done anything yet other than show us he’s capable of tearing this team down.  Which, I believe, was necessary.

There’s been a lot of addition by subtraction but there hasn’t been a single positive personal decision that tells me he knows what he’s doing.

I’m not even saying that’s bad...not at all...I just think he’s a huge question mark.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I’m not dissing him at all.

All I’m saying is he hasn’t done anything yet other than show us he’s capable of tearing this team down.  Which, I believe, was necessary.

There’s been a lot of addition by subtraction but there hasn’t been a single positive personal decision that tells me he knows what he’s doing.

I’m not even saying that’s bad...not at all...I just think he’s a huge question mark.

Aren't they all really? Except the proven guys like Ozzie (when Ozzie skipped Rex that should have been a red flag). Rex was a solid coach but crazy & he was way to influential in the draft! The Steelers do a great job of reloading. 

Belichick had Brady to cover all of eff ups. Look at all of WRs the Patriots drafted that were busts. It sure as hell isnt easy. 

6 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I like Joe's method but his players have to develop.  I am not sold on his draft picks yet.  The next coach is going to have to have assistants who can squeeze every drop of talent from this roster.  Even if it like squeezing water from a rock!

Here's to hoping the next coach actually has a plan for an actual training staff....

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Aren't they all really? Except the proven guys like Ozzie (when Ozzie skipped Rex that should have been a red flag). Rex was a solid coach but crazy & he was way to influential in the draft! The Steelers do a great job of reloading. 

Belichick had Brady to cover all of eff ups. Look at all of WRs the Patriots drafted that were busts. It sure as hell isnt easy. 

Mostly agree.  I’m just pointing out to people that keep claiming he’s done something here.  He hasn’t.  I hope he can.  

There are some organizations that have consistent success and they have people in charge that have proven capable of building winning teams.  Sure even the capable can fail.  It is, as you stated not easy...

The thing is we don’t know if JD is capable.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

Joe Douglas has made one bad signing (Griffin), every single signing Douglas made was from a free agent bucket of crap ? with 1 year signings to field a team so lacking of talented players that there was truly only 1 guy that was not tradable in Quinnen Williams. Think about that. Not 1 other player means a damn to the future of this team before the 2020 draft. 

Talk about starting from the bottom. Now after this season he's saddled with having to find a new Head Coach & a new QB because both are ranked below 32 teams in this league. He's a GM not a 1 year miracle worker. He started with a terrible roster/ worse than the Jets in 1996. Next year, we'll be the 2018 Bills. Working in a rookie QB, maybe behind a veteran? I don't know what his plan is, but he's gonna need at least 2 more years just to make us competitive because of the starting point this team was left in. Gase was just fodder to get through 2020 to the draft he set himself up for last year with the Adams trade. I'm sure the main focus was Darnold & his development & he got his answer there & it's time to move on. That disappointment alone has set back the team another year or two. He was very shrewd demanding at least a 6 year contract. It's about time this team thought long term and move on from the stops & starts herky jerky BS we've been following since Mangini. It's a new decade with 1 guy in charge & the first football guy with the team first attitude & not a scratch ticket mentality. It's gonna take some time, but at least the trajectory will hopefully be on an upward swing, starting with the new Head Coach. Should tell us a lot about the type of QB they target. 

It wouldn't let me do a double upvote lol...

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Mac was well respected as well. He also has an Exec of the year award to show for it. I’d argue he was the worse Jets GM of all time. 

He wasn't well respected at all when he came in? Jets fans were like, isn't this the guy that got Carr killed? Plus we found out Houston was going to can him anyway. His safety, safety draft was the kicker! Adams, Maye, instead of Winston + Cook. 

Hed probably still be here if he drafted from the Jetsnation consensus picks. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

He wasn't well respected at all when he came in? Jets fans were like, isn't this the guy that got Carr killed? Plus we found out Houston was going to can him anyway. His safety, safety draft was the kicker! Adams, Maye, instead of Winston + Cook. 

Which at times is at least most of the players in the draft..?

3 hours ago, Bronx said:

I believe both teams are on the right track. The NBA is finally back in NY. BTW, the Nets hired Nash and it is showing.

ya know...  i watched a bit of a KNicks game for the forst time in YEARS...  and i mean...  since Lin....

and they actually looked competent...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

i dont mind our QB playing us out of playoff contention by week 10, cos FLASHES

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Yea, Joe should have used his magic wand & corrected the ills of Gase, Darnold, Macc in 1 year? GTFOOH!

Who is saying that?

We have one full year of his reign to evaluate and it was historically bad. Let’s wait until we win a few games before declaring this guy the next Ozzie Newsome.

• Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Jetster said:

JN would do a better job drafting than most GMs. This board was pounding for Claypool when JD traded back but was happy with Mims. Claypool is still the superior. This board also loved Kamara like genital herpes love hookers. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Who is saying that?

We have one full year of his reign to evaluate and it was historically bad. Let’s wait until we win a few games before declaring this guy the next Ozzie Newsome.

Go check Ozzie's first few drafts not every player was a winner and they didn't win till year 5 and that Bowl win was on the Defense.. His big winners in his 1st draft was Ogden and Ray Lewis with the 2 1st round picks he had..

• Upvote 1

I don't trust JD 100% at this point.  How does the Morgan pick factor in.  Was this just a "let's draft a QB at 4" pick?  Was he trying to send a message to Sam?  Is there something in Morgan that he sees.  Well whatever, he better draft Fields. Can't take another season of Sam saying he needs to "look at the tape".

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Go check Ozzie's first few drafts not every player was a winner and they didn't win till year 5 and that Bowl win was on the Defense.. His big winners in his 1st draft was Ogden and Ray Lewis with the 2 1st round picks he had..

Drafting is sooooo difficult. so easy to judge after the fact BUT McCagnon and Idzik totally fukked up.  Douglas moves appear better balanced etc.  ALL GMs make many bad picks.   Let’s hope Douglas is better than average.  

29 minutes ago, NamathToCaster said:

I don't trust JD 100% at this point.  How does the Morgan pick factor in.  Was this just a "let's draft a QB at 4" pick?  Was he trying to send a message to Sam?  Is there something in Morgan that he sees.  Well whatever, he better draft Fields. Can't take another season of Sam saying he needs to "look at the tape".

Look at what the Jets paid Fitzpatrick and McCown.  Morgan is supposed to be a cheap back up QB that maybe could be developed and traded/comp picked. 

Draft Justin Fields and let Morgan play until Fields is ready, or Fields can be the backup.

The problem with that though is that they are very different QBs.  Morgan is more of a backup to Darnold. 

13 hours ago, Jetster said:

Here's the one thing Jets fans can thank Adam Gase for, Joe Douglas. Sure, he's having a hard time finding kickers & drafting kids that can stay healthy but he has what they call in the business, street cred. He's well respected & well connected! It was huge to get a guy that worked with Ozzie in Baltimore & than Philly when they were successful. He played the game, he understands our needs and he seems really level headed & not the type of guy to chase rainbows. 

All any of us fans have wanted is a master plan to draft well, develop players & enjoy a steady rise of improvement. For 10 years this organization has been a disjointed mess, an 8 cylinder running on 4, without 1 redeeming quality in any of 3 phases of football, offense, defense & special teams. There's really nothing the Jets do exceptionally. We can't rush the passer, we can't consistently run the ball, we can't protect the QB, we can't defend on the backend. Why is it a shock we're 2-14? 

I just want to see a steady rise of improvement. A new QB, better protection, LBs that aren't running in quicksand. A couple of pass rushers. I'm not expecting to go to the Super Bowl next year, I just want to have a glimmer of hope that we all can expect to see us rise out of the ashes and becomes watchable again. Just bring some excitement back! Sam Darnold turned out to be a complete bummer, not a leader of men. I knew we were doomed when teammates would let opposing defenses whip him to the ground & watch. I want leaders that create that bond like a band of brothers. Could you see Kevin Mawae just standing there while his QB gets abused? 

I want a team that fights. I want a QB the team gets behind, I want a RB that straight arms, I want a nasty Oline that takes umbrage with their QB getting thrown down. I want a coach that lets refs hear it when he thinks his team is getting f*cked. I think Joe Douglas can build that team. He comes from that mindset. I'm behind him 100% and it starts with a Head Coach. I think he'll get his guy.

Rahh rahhh..... shish coombah !