Ranking the Head Coaching Openings

rayzor

The mope in this thread: 100%

The Jets are one of the top destinations for a HC. Respected GM calling the shots, lots of important draft picks over the next two years including the #2 overall this year where you don't have to worry about "picking the wrong guy" since one will fall into our laps, and tons of cap space. 

Most coaches don't care about the 50 years of misery that fans care about. They view it as 1 of only 32 potential opportunities in the entire world, and any HC worth their salt better believe they can turn anything around. If not, I don't want them anyway. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, hamat711 said:

5. Jets - Very similar to the Jaguars, but just worse. They have cap space, draft capital, but only 5-6 good players on the roster. The roster also has holes at most positions. The GM Joe Douglas will also have the least job security of all possible destinations since he isn't a new hire. 

Meh, Don't see it as an issue at all.  Douglas might not be a new hire, but he still has 4 years left on his contract which is about all 1st time GM's usually get. 2021 will be the first real year that the Jets will be his team.  If he selects a QB at 2, he is almost guaranteed to see 3 more years of his contract.  Even if the rookie plays like a rookie. 

IMO, only thing that can smash his job security is if he rolls with Darnold next year, and one of the rookie QB's he passed on lights it up while Darnold continues to do Darnlod things.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

The mope in this thread: 100%

The Jets are one of the top destinations for a HC. Respected GM calling the shots, lots of important draft picks over the next two years including the #2 overall this year where you don't have to worry about "picking the wrong guy" since one will fall into our laps, and tons of cap space. 

Most coaches don't care about the 50 years of misery that fans care about. They view it as 1 of only 32 potential opportunities in the entire world, and any HC worth their salt better believe they can turn anything around. If not, I don't want them anyway. 

Belichick headed for the door two seconds after Hess croaked and he talked to Woodrow. You can keep your head in the sand about the awful ownership we have here but it doesn't negate the fact the Jets have one of the worst ownership situations in the NFL.

1 minute ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

Belichick headed for the door two seconds after Hess croaked and he talked to Woodrow. You can keep your head in the sand about the awful ownership we have here but it doesn't negate the fact the Jets have one of the worst ownership situations in the NFL.

I agree about the ownership situation. This thread is about the HC position. 

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I agree about the ownership situation. This thread is about the HC position. 

The Jets can't be one of the top destinations for a HC because of ownership.  Who would willingly work for knuckleheads like Chris and Woody if they don't have another legitimate option? Guys like Harbaugh and Meyer who can write their own ticket would laugh at working for these two boobs.

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

that isn't the point, if i am a GM or HC candidate...i am staying away from any owner that makes these types of statements publicly. See Washington redskins for the past 20 years. I am sorry i cant explain it any better.

i am not a homer, ive just been a fan long enough to know that...

the chargers are cheap AF, they have constantly had issues with things like rookie signings, issues with paying for stadiums, players complaining about facilities, etc..

that when the owner comes out and says he wants input into the roster...u run

and that when you dont have any draft picks, u won 4 games, and your second best player is about to gtfo of town thats not a good thing...oh and btw...Watson isnt helping...

and again, the jets job is not a "perfect job" by any stretch. but u are in a huge market, u have draft picks, you have cap space, you have owners that have given the highly respected GM complete autonomy on football operations...its a great job if you think you know where you land on the QB situation.

Yes, the Jets have a lot of positives, but their negatives are just as big.

The Jets have a lot of cap space and draft capital because they have literally nobody under contract on the roster that can play FS, SS, RB, CB, Edge, QB or outside WR at a league average level. Many of the other positions could use clear upgrades also. Jamison Crowder, Mekhi Becton and Quinnen Williams, Fatukasi and maybe CJ Mosley are the only above average players on the roster. That is horrific compared to any other team but the Jaguars.

The division already has three very good coaches.

You have to settle for whoever Jacksonville doesn't want.

When you add this onto the GM having less job security than any other position, the Job has a lot of negatives.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Meh, Don't see it as an issue at all.  Douglas might not be a new hire, but he still has 4 years left on his contract which is about all 1st time GM's usually get. 2021 will be the first real year that the Jets will be his team.  If he selects a QB at 2, he is almost guaranteed to see 3 more years of his contract.  Even if the rookie plays like a rookie. 

IMO, only thing that can smash his job security is if he rolls with Darnold next year, and one of the rookie QB's he passed on lights it up while Darnold continues to do Darnlod things.

If the Jets don't have an impressive draft+ Free Agency, people will be calling for Douglas' head.

27 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

Yes, the Jets have a lot of positives, but their negatives are just as big.

The Jets have a lot of cap space and draft capital because they have literally nobody under contract on the roster that can play FS, SS, RB, CB, Edge, QB or outside WR at a league average level. Many of the other positions could use clear upgrades also. Jamison Crowder, Mekhi Becton and Quinnen Williams, Fatukasi and maybe CJ Mosley are the only above average players on the roster. That is horrific compared to any other team but the Jaguars.

The division already has three very good coaches.

You have to settle for whoever Jacksonville doesn't want.

When you add this onto the GM having less job security than any other position, the Job has a lot of negatives.

so no comment on the thing that you said i misquoted which i clearly didnt?

ok, ill play...who do the jaguars have under contract thats such a difference maker?

James Robinson? 1000 yards rushing? great...RB is the most replaceable position in sports

DJ Chark? 700 receiving yards

Shenault? 400

or is it Dawuane Smoot with his team leading 5.5 sacks? Josh Allen had 2.5 sacks oofff

i believe the Cam Robinson is a FA (PFF's 49th best LT)

so lack of talent, lack of desirable location, owner who wants to run the personnel and probably move the team to London...sounds like a dream.

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

so no comment on the thing that you said i misquoted which i clearly didnt?

ok, ill play...who do the jaguars have under contract thats such a difference maker?

James Robinson? 1000 yards rushing? great...RB is the most replaceable position in sports

DJ Chark? 700 receiving yards

Shenault? 400

or is it Dawuane Smoot with his team leading 5.5 sacks? Josh Allen had 2.5 sacks oofff

i believe the Cam Robinson is a FA (PFF's 49th best LT)

so lack of talent, lack of desirable location, owner who wants to run the personnel and probably move the team to London...sounds like a dream.

"Jamison Crowder, Mekhi Becton and Quinnen Williams, Fatukasi and maybe CJ Mosley are the only above average players on the roster. That is horrific compared to any other team but the Jaguars.

You missed that part. 

Chark is better than any offensive skill player on the Jets. Shenault has been more productive than Mims. Josh Allen still is better than any edge rusher on the Jets. Sacks aren't everything.

While thee Jaguars don't have many good players, they still have some players who will provide decent depth. The Jets have many roster spots that are just empty spots.

Only a homer would say the Jets are a better situation than the Jaguars.

• Thumb Down 1

19 hours ago, hamat711 said:

1. Chargers - A lot of talent on both sides of the ball and Herbert looks like an Elite QB already. 

2. Jaguars - You get the best Prospect since Luck. To go along with that, you have plenty of draft capital, plenty of cap space, and some decent young talent. You also have a Owner who is very patient.

3. Falcons - Matt Ryan still has a few more good years left in him. Their are much more talented than their record suggests. They also have the 4th pick in the draft. They can trade this pick to a QB needy team or select their own QB to groom. This job offers plenty of flexibility.

4. Texans - Deshaun Watson was putting up MVP numbers with nothing around him. A young top 5 QB who can perform under any conditions. Unfortunately, they don't have any cap space or draft capital.

5. Jets - Very similar to the Jaguars, but just worse. They have cap space, draft capital, but only 5-6 good players on the roster. The roster also has holes at most positions. The GM Joe Douglas will also have the least job security of all possible destinations since he isn't a new hire. 

6. Lions - A aging roster with little cap space and a bunch of holes. Their best player is Kenny Golladay and he still needs to be resigned. New coach will also need to make a decision on Stafford.

A little devil's advocate/

1.  Chargers.  I got nothing, that looks like a good job.

2.  Jaguars.  The owner, who knows nothing about football, just announced he wants to be the new GM.

3.  Ryan is old, Team is projected 24 million over the cap.

4.  Texans.   Have an elite QB.   Have no draft picks.   Have cap issues.

5.  Jets.  The fans suck.  Have the #2 pick, as well as 5 in top 3 rounds.   Mucho cap space, and finally a professional. GM.

6.  Lions.  They suck, and you are stuck in Detroit.

15 minutes ago, chirorob said:

A little devil's advocate/

1.  Chargers.  I got nothing, that looks like a good job.

2.  Jaguars.  The owner, who knows nothing about football, just announced he wants to be the new GM.

3.  Ryan is old, Team is projected 24 million over the cap.

4.  Texans.   Have an elite QB.   Have no draft picks.   Have cap issues.

5.  Jets.  The fans suck.  Have the #2 pick, as well as 5 in top 3 rounds.   Mucho cap space, and finally a professional. GM.

6.  Lions.  They suck, and you are stuck in Detroit.

1. Texans - you are set at the most important position with a young, high level starter. You also have a pretty good LT that's young. No draft picks so next year will be bad but afterwards looks better

2. Chargers - most talent of any team on this list, young QB entrenched. This team can be turned around quickly with a competent HC.

3. Falcons - depends on what they wanna do with Ryan and Jones. Both are getting long in the tooth and Julio can't stay healthy anymore. Still, Ryan's an upper level starter and they have good offensive talent. Shoring up the defensive side of the ball will get them back in playoff position. They really should have won more games this year - they had two numbskulls at HC.

4. Jaguars - ownership is a disaster but you pick 1st. If Lawrence is what people claim he is, you've got a good start.

5. Jets - lots of picks, lots of cap space. Ownership is worse than the Jaguars. You might be saddled with a zero at the QB position.

6. Lions - Stafford is talking his way out of town and this team is a complete catastrophe. The CB they drafted 3rd last year graded out as one of the worst CBs in the NFL.

On 1/6/2021 at 6:24 PM, chirorob said:

He hasn't done much to impress me.

Lets look at his draft

Becton - Douglas realistically had to choose between Becton and Wirfs. Even though Becton is good, Wirfs has been better.

Mims - He started off decent but fell off to end the season. He was on pace for 600 yards over a full season. He was alright but many WRs taken after him were better.

Zuniga - Right now this was just a bad pick

Davis - The guy was below average, and it doesn't look great that he was the Leonard Williams pick.

Perrine - Nothing special

Morgan - Did nothing

Clark - Did nothing

Hall - He was decent for a rookie, but he was well below average for starting cbs

Mann - Struggled after a decent start.

Basically he got Becton right, but everyone else is a unknown.

His free agent class was awful.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I only go Jets if they garauntee me 4 years fully. The history of head coaching this team isn't exactly the Steelers.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

Bowles, 4 years

Ryan, 6 years

Mangini, 3 years

Herm, 5 years.  

Im not seeing this as an issue, if it is, they can look somewhere else.  Especially since 95% get 4 year deals and are paid if fired.  If the HC sucks you think we need to have him coach because of a contractual agreement?  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Bowles, 4 years
Ryan, 6 years
Mangini, 3 years
Herm, 5 years.  
Im not seeing this as an issue, if it is, they can look somewhere else.  Especially since 95% get 4 year deals and are paid if fired.  If the HC sucks you think we need to have him coach because of contract?  
No I'm just saying that compared to the Patriots and Steelers our coaches shelf life is about the same as a peeled avocado (without lemon juice)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

On 1/6/2021 at 6:09 PM, hamat711 said:

"Jamison Crowder, Mekhi Becton and Quinnen Williams, Fatukasi and maybe CJ Mosley are the only above average players on the roster. That is horrific compared to any other team but the Jaguars.

You missed that part. 

Chark is better than any offensive skill player on the Jets. Shenault has been more productive than Mims. Josh Allen still is better than any edge rusher on the Jets. Sacks aren't everything.

While thee Jaguars don't have many good players, they still have some players who will provide decent depth. The Jets have many roster spots that are just empty spots.

Why don't you focus on the colts? 

On 1/6/2021 at 6:09 PM, hamat711 said:

You missed that part. 

Allen has 12.5 sacks in his career - “edge rusher”. QWilliams has 3 less than that as an interior lineman.

In 5 less games, Mims has 200 less yards than Shenault.

Chark basically has the same stats as Crowder.

10 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Allen has 12.5 sacks in his career - “edge rusher”. QWilliams has 3 less than that as an interior lineman.

In 5 less games, Mims has 200 less yards than Shenault.

Chark basically has the same stats as Crowder.

Allen also had 10+ sacks as a rookie. Allen isn't bad, he was just constantly against bad game scripts since his team sucked.

Shenault averages more yards per game than Mims.

Crowder is a good 3rd option. Crowder wouldn't be a top 2 WR on most teams in the league. Chark is a good 2nd option.

Just now, hamat711 said:

Allen also had 10+ sacks as a rookie. Allen isn't bad, he was just constantly against bad game scripts since his team sucked.

Shenault averages more yards per game than Mims.

Crowder is a good 3rd option. Crowder wouldn't be a top 2 WR on most teams in the league. Chark is a good 2nd option.

Crowder is better than chark. Say what you want, he is.  QWill is a top 3 DT right now, you can’t say that about Allen.  Mims also was hurt all offseason and still put up decent stats for 8 games.

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

QWill is a top 3 DT right now, you can’t say that about Allen.  

Labeling Quinnen a DT is wrong.

If we are going by interior lineman or 3-tech lineman., Quinnen isn't even top 10.

1. Aaron Donald

2. Deforest Buckner

3. Chris Jones

4. Cam Heyward

5. Jeffery SImmons

6. Leonard Williams

7. Fletcher Cox

8. Grady Jarrett

9. Jonathan Allen

10. Stephon Tuitt

I see the "I hate the Jets" fan club is out in force.  I think I've got it.  The Jets are rotten, they always have been rotten, and they always will be rotten.  Feel free to copy and paste.  It will save you a lot of key strokes in future.

The Jets are probably #3 in the list.  The roster isn't much to write home about but the resources moving forward are there.  On the down side, they were with Macc as well.

If I'm a prospective HC, its going to come down to JD.  His ability as a trader looks solid.  But do I think he can draft?  Is he a guy I can work with?  And can he manage up--Elhai and the Johnson's?  If I get good answers to those questions, then the Jets job looks good.

Jacksonville starts out as a better job. The same questions about GM and ownership have to get answered.  But if I am a coordinator taking a first time HC position, I would rather do it in Jacksonville.  The media will be easy to deal with and the fan base less intense.  And, fwiw, Florida is a low tax state and NJ is not.  So the Jets would have to pay more if I were looking at both spots.  All that assumes agreement that Trevor is the real deal.

LA has the clearest run to the playoffs.  But the ownership questions are even more challenging there than here.

We all have to have our fingers crossed with JD.  He is the only path out of this mess.  If he isn't the guy, we're facing another 2-4 years of pain.

2 hours ago, heymangold said:

Mims also was hurt all offseason and still put up decent stats for 8 games.

I'm not saying Mims is bad, but he hasn't been special either. Many on here are giving JD too much credit acting like the Denzel Mims pick was a slam dunk. Denzel Mims isn't even a top 10 WR in his own draft class.

Mims averaged about 39.6 Yards per game, which would put him at 640 yards over a full season.

Even if you extrapolate Mims numbers over a full season against other rookie WRs, he still produced less yards per game than Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, CD Lamb,  Brandon Aiyuk, Justin Jefferson, Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Laviska Shenault, Chase Claypool, Darnell Mooney and Gabriel Davis.

Denzel Mims was the 13th WR taken in 2020, and he is 12th among rookie WRs in yards per game.

Jalen Reagor, Van Jefferson and KJ Hamler are the only players drafted before Denzel Mims who produced less yards. Gabriel Davis and Darnell Mooney were drafted after MIms and have done more.

On 1/6/2021 at 12:41 PM, flgreen said:

Which is exactly why Darnold is gone and we're taking a QB at 2.

• Upvote 1

On 1/6/2021 at 11:32 AM, hamat711 said:

Only a homer would say this. 

Chargers - have Herbert and a good roster.

Jax - You are twisting his comment. This is common for owners. Many want some input, but they still let the GM/Coach make the final say. 

Houston -Watson is an elite QB. Watson put up MVP numbers with trash around him. If you fix that defense, you are fine.

you called it man, everyone wants to go to Houston...

except for the top 2 guys that wouldn't even touch that job....that are both interviewing with us.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, k-met57 said:

you called it man, everyone wants to go to Houston...

except for the top 2 guys that wouldn't even touch that job....that are both interviewing with us.

Things changed from when I posted that. I was wrong. Bump Houston down.

• Upvote 1