Robert Saleh Hired: MERGED

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

If the jets were looking to deal the #2 pick they are certainly doing a horrible job at increasing the value. Once everyone knows you are sticking with darnold you shift all the power to Miami. I highly doubt anyone would trade up for Sewell in a deep O-Line class 

I think the opposite.  I think you've now opened the door for a bidding war.  If we're not going QB then that's the spot another team can get one, be it Atlanta, Detroit, Carolina or whoever.  Phones will start ringing.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well it is not your or my decision and if you want to dump him by all means, just do not over daft a Qb is you do not eval him to be a franchise guy.

If the Jets get rid of Danold and they love one of the qbs they will draft one at 2.  If not i hope to hell they trade down and look again next year.

It would be better to roll another years with Darnold and look to next year for the Qb than to dump him and then make a bad draft decision due to need.

Darnold = 4-12 at best. Probably worse. He's THAT bad.    Nice... keep the sickest part of the offense for another year?  Just no.  

3 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Um no.. those guys were never the “consensus” best candidate? Al Groh? Herm Edwards? Cmon man they were all shots in the dark? And did you really include Adam Gase lol

Sorry sir but this is the New York Jets and every move they have made is the best and if you don't agree with that you can get the hell outta here

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

And remember that the 49ers were ravaged with injuries that game

Darnold is atrocious.  Saleh and Douglas are nuts if they want him out there next year. What a way to fck up your first season as HC and 2nd as GM.

1 minute ago, Ghost said:

Damn, I’m ******* pumped! This guy is a LEADER. I haven’t been this excited since seeing Rex’s introductory press conference. I cannot wait to hear Saleh and JD talk to the media. 

One thing is for sure. Although we may not see it now, JD will be one of the best things to ever happen to this franchise. Christopher Johnson deserves that credit. 

Any QB rumors are bullsh*t right now but I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, do NOT be surprised if we keep Darnold AND draft a QB. The offense that Saleh is bringing does fit Darnold’s strengths. 

Sleep good, Jets fans! We are pointing in the right direction. 

P.S. **** ADAM GASE! 

Huh????????  The west coast offense requires a smart, accurate qb who can diagnose the d and make quick decisions.  Darnold is awful at all of those aspects.  Its literally the worst offense for him.

• Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Again why would that matter what happens at 2 when Fields/Wilson/Lance are so close in many evaluators eyes? 

If I’m a GM and that’s the case I’m trading to the lowest possible pick to be able to still select one of the three. Saving resources 

They aren't all going to fit every offense. Offensive coaches will have a preference at the QB position going into the draft. It's not about rankings, it's about fit. 

2 minutes ago, jwrmo said:

I heard a rumor that if Saleh came that Jimmy G would be our quaterback.

I heard a rumor that if Mike LaFleur came in as our OC that Aaron Rodgers would be our quarterback.

(Think about it.  They have Jordan Love on his rookie deal and we have a huge cache of draft picks.)

SAR I

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

I can't believe how many fans are still in denial about the aspect of Sam coming back.

It's very likely. 

I'm not in denial. I think it's a huge mistake.  The thought of another 4 win or worse season because the QB sucks is just unacceptable to me.  He can't see open receivers.  EVER. Sure... these are new coaches but they are not ophthalmologic surgeons and they can't bestow Sam with the gift of vision. No one can.   Really, Sam is as dumb as sh*t out there and it's obvious he doesn't know what he's doing.  We all saw this in the first game of the season.  Totally clueless with months to prepare.  Nope.  Sorry. There is no hope for Sam Darnold.  JD and Saleh have to see it.  He's that bad. 

The 49ers rode to a Super Bowl on the back of a strong defense and a great rushing game while Garropolo steered the ship.  And, Jimmy G isn't a Top 10 QB.  I think it will be the same thing here, at least initially.  Like every other position our QB can be upgraded, but I'm guessing JD, Saleh and LaFleur think they can win by building a rushing game, a strong defense and coaching Darnold up to make better decisions.  It's gonna feel a lot like the Rex and Sanchez days around here again.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

The 49ers rode to a Super Bowl on the back of a strong defense and a great rushing game while Garropolo steered the ship.  I think it will be the same thing here, at least initially.  Like every other position our QB can be upgraded, but I'm guessing JD, Saleh and LaFleur think they can win more by building a rushing game, a strong defense and coaching Darnold up to make better decisions.  It's gonna feel a lot like the Rex and Sanchez days around here again.

Sanchez was better than Darnold.

• Upvote 1

If you keep Darnold you CAN NOT draft a QB at #2. You just can't. The QB controversy surrounding this team would be an unnecessary distraction for a 1st year HC. If the Jets really don't want to use the #2 pick on a QB it would make sense to go after Garrapolo in FA on a short deal, trade Darnold and build up the rest of your roster by trading back. It makes more sense to bring in a QB who is a year removed from throwing for 27 TDs and 4000 yards in this offensive system than trying to have Darnold learn a new system. I'm not a big fan of Jimmy G but he is a better player than Darnold. And they're both injury prone. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Darnold is atrocious.  Saleh and Douglas are nuts if they want him out there next year. What a way to fck up your first season as HC and 2nd as GM.

There has been 0 decisions made in the QB position. The new OC will have a day in it too. Don't be shocked if they go after Beathard or Jimmy G bc of system familiarity over Darnold. That's only if the 49ers release Jimmy G, which i think they will. 

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Standing behind Nick Mangold and D'Brick while faking handoffs to LaDainian Tomlinson and then throwing to a wide open Santonio Holmes or Braylon Edwards will make it look so.

explain why when there is no pressure, Sam can't find the open receiver when there is one?  You really think that is going to change with a new offense and LaFleur?  LOL.  Darnold's a VERY slow processor and LaFleur is not going to be able to update the inoperative chip in Darnold's brain.  It would be a miracle and I'd rather go with a new QB.  Darnold is not worth the time, aggravation and wasted seasons ahead.

21 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Sorry sir but this is the New York Jets and every move they have made is the best and if you don't agree with that you can get the hell outta here

it's good to be the heel, lord knows someone's gotta do it with this franchise

but these are also the only times of the year where Jets fans can genuinely celebrate... and that Ruggs touchdown. Leapt outta my seat for that one.

• Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

There has been 0 decisions made in the QB position. The new OC will have a day in it too. Don't be shocked if they go after Beathard or Jimmy G bc of system familiarity over Darnold. That's only if the 49ers release Jimmy G, which i think they will. 

Whatever they do... cause Darnold is hopeless.  JMO.

Just now, Dcat said:

Why keep him? To give him false hope?  To perpetuate the myth that he'll be the guy?

Accept it.  He's done here.

Its been 4 years and people are still hung up on the guy cause he played well in the rose bowl against ND.  If that game never happens, Darnold is a backup qb somewhere.

I have never seen 1 game carry a kid for 4 years.  Just crazy.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Its been 4 years and people are still hung up on the guy cause he played well in the rose bowl against ND.  If that game never happens, Darnold is a backup qb somewhere.

I have never seen 1 game carry a kid for 4 years.  Just crazy.

It is well beyond wishful thinking that LaFleur can fix Darnold.  Borderline delusional and I can't believe people are willing to WASTE another season with him just because it's cap friendly. Sorry.  Not a good enough reason to keep Darnold here.  

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

It is well beyond wishful thinking that LaFleur can fix Darnold.  Borderline delusional and I can't believe people are willing to WASTE another season with him just because it's cap friendly. Sorry.  Not a good enough reason to keep Darnold here.  

Forget belief in Darnold for a moment. Build the roster first. I doubt Fields or Wilson would tear it up with Perine, Crowder and Van Roten. 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

explain why when there is no pressure, Sam can't find the open receiver when there is one?  You really think that is going to change with a new offense and LaFleur?  LOL.  Darnold's a VERY slow processor and LaFleur is not going to be able to update the inoperative chip in Darnold's brain.  It would be a miracle and I'd rather go with a new QB.  Darnold is not worth the time, aggravation and wasted seasons ahead.

I don't know, my friend.  But I know he seemed to find them his rookie year.  I know he found them during a handful of games at times under Gase.

The thing about LaFleur's system though, Dave, is that you don't need to be a very fast processor post snap.  70% of the work is done pre-snap at the LOS is my understanding.  Gase rarely did simple things like motion his TE's or WR's.  He almost never seemed to move more than 1 player pre-snap to try to tip whether the D was in zone or man.  I also think Gase tried to control Darnold like a robot at times, probably wishing it was Madden and he could just hit the A and B button to throw, etc.

Again, I have no idea whether better coaching, a better system fit and better players will move Darnold from being the 32nd ranked QB to the 30th, or if it will help him make a bigger jump like Jared Goff did when getting out from under Jeff Fisher and to Sean McVay.  At this point, I just have to hope that JD, Saleh and LaFleur are smart enough to know that answer.

• Post of the Week 1