Vacchiano details the Saleh hiring process

23 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Whether that’s true or not, one thing was clear: Saleh was definitely interested in the Jets, too.

“He thought it was one of the best jobs on the board,” said an NFL source. “The Jets have some pieces there and a ton of draft picks and cap room to build a team quickly. He thought there was more there than some of the other teams. Definitely more than the Lions.”

For all of you on the Watson bandwagon, This is telling as to why Sahel wanted the JETS job. I don't see JD or Saleh buying into giving that up for Watson.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The article is less an endorsement of Saleh (although it has some of those elements), and more of the process of what happened. Which was a great topic of debate here. This helps close some of those circles.

I think it is kind of stating the obvious.  I was pretty sure this was a JD hire even though  we heard CJ was signing off on it. Sounds like it was JD said let's hire Rob and CJ said ok. 

sounds like they made the right choice.  it's not like they were bidding against themselves like they did with gase and bowles (and even rex).  they went after a got a hot name in the coordinator ranks.  i guess the only downside is none of these coordinators have been head coaches at any level. and many haven't had any experience managing the other side of the ball.  i think the part about pederson is right.  he just got fired and it's going to take some time before the fire returns.  it's not like parcells where he had already scoped out the jets job and was going to move on from the patsies.

8 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

For all of you on the Watson bandwagon, This is telling as to why Sahel wanted the JETS job. I don't see JD or Saleh buying into giving that up for Watson.

I get that sense, more and more too.

This article states that the jets were impressed with Smith's "vision" for the Jets offense. I may be reading into things, but to have a vision already, you kind of have to know who your qb is. Maybe I am wrong in that interpretation.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

This article states that the jets were impressed with Smith's "vision" for the Jets offense. I may be reading into things, but to have a vision already, you kind of have to know who your qb is. Maybe I am wrong in that interpretation.

I'm guessing we'll never know what that "vision" was, unless Atlanta trades for Watson lol...

If Aaron Glenn doesn't land a HC job somewhere I'd still like to have him on the Jets in some capacity. Why? Because I'd like to have him on the Jets in some capacity. *That's the extent of my in-depth professional analysis.

The biggest bright spot of that article is that I didn't see the Johnsons stupid faces mentioned in the active part of the vetting process. Hopefully it wasn't a lie of omission. It may also explain Joe Douglas's narcolepsy during games. Chris Johnson was about to open the door and say hiya bub.

*Am not a professional at anything except making pictures with a bunch of crayons but the jury will always be out.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jetophile said:

If Aaron Glenn doesn't land a HC job somewhere I'd still like to have him on the Jets in some capacity. Why? Because I'd like to have him on the Jets in some capacity. *That's the extent of my in-depth professional analysis.

The biggest bright spot of that article is that I didn't see the Johnsons stupid faces mentioned in the active part of the vetting process. Hopefully it wasn't a lie of omission. It may also explain Joe Douglas's narcolepsy during games.

*Am not a professional in any capacity. 

The more I watched the playoff games this weekend, the more I feel that the defensive back coach will be a huge hire for the Jets.

All weekend long, whenever teams were in man coverage, the DB was plastered to the WR in most cases. For some reason, in the Williams defense, the DB seemed to want to give the WR room, even in man coverage. When Frank Bush took over, the DB's seemed to play a little bit better and played tighter to their man.

The Jets need an infusion of talent in the d backfield, but they also need to unlearn what Gregg Williams was teaching.

• Upvote 1

The more I watched the playoff games this weekend, the more I feel that the defensive back coach will be a huge hire for the Jets.

All weekend long, whenever teams were in man coverage, the DB was plastered to the WR in most cases. For some reason, in the Williams defense, the DB seemed to want to give the WR room, even in man coverage. When Frank Bush took over, the DB's seemed to play a little bit better and played tighter to their man.

The Jets need an infusion of talent in the d backfield, but they also need to unlearn what Gregg Williams was teaching.

It was almost a little shocking to see how much Williams was NOT working after he got kicked in his ass. Good post. I was kinda going there, but you said it better. You also caught me editing with my pants down, lol. 

Speaking of unlearning, The Boot needs to get his entire three year slate wiped clean. Mechanics to a degree; but Sam is best when he goes off-script. Somebody else besides me who knows less about football than a dead Al Davis needs to recognize this and tweak it so he's not always playing with a stick up his butt. I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet, partly because I want it that way.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jetophile said:

It was almost a little shocking to see how much Williams was NOT working after he got kicked in his ass. Good post. I was kinda going there, but you said it better. You also caught me editing with my pants down, lol. 

Speaking of unlearning, The Boot needs to get his entire three year slate wiped clean. Mechanics to a degree; but Sam is best when he goes off-script. Somebody else besides me who knows less about football than a dead Al Davis needs to recognize this and tweak it so he's not always playing with a stick up his butt. I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet, partly because I want it that way.

this is so ******* weird

I really don't know any team that telegraphs their "vision" in detail, before they actually put the detail (players and scheme) of that vision in place. it kind of helps their competitive advantage.

I mean I don’t need a full on swot here but some more details on how this came together, an overarching vision would be cool. Maybe during the presser but they’re slow walking that too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Actually, we were led to believe on the night that Saleh was going to Fla. (for the Philly job), that the Jets HAD put an offer out. This article says that may have not have been true.

You may recall on that evening, you (Nico) said the Jets had botched and and the "door was closed" on Saleh coming to the Jets.

Guess it's time for nico to retire his new username and get another.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Dcat said:

@bitonti said the same thing.  "He didn't just go out for a smoke, you know".  

LOL  Some people are just so impulsive in their terribly wrong interpretation of events.  

They compare how Pizza Hut hires servers "want da job, or wut?" to how billion-dollar organizations hire top executives.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Except one of the best QBs in the league that is 25 wasn't considered to be available. We will still have plenty of assets to build around Watson. It would be a bad move not to try to get him. Even if we give up the #2 pick, our second #1 next year, and a #1 the following year, we still have a #1 this year, one #1 next year, probably 2 #2 picks, 2 #3 picks and a ton of cap space. Plus, we'll be a lot closer to being a contending team. It's a no brainer. The other way we could go is having more picks to use on players we won't know if they are good or not and having a significantly weaker QB - the most important position on the team. Also, and this is a big also, you cannot allow Miami to get him.

• Thumb Down 1