Emotion is huge in NFL football

Jetster

Watson would invigorate the entire organization & fan base! So, we have the unemotional Sam Darnold who constantly misses open WRs & has the enthusiasm of a California surfer vs Deshaun Watson who exudes confidence & completes 70% of his passes. Our team didn't even help Sam up after sacks. 

Or we can take a stab at a rookie? 

Lets see, we'd still have #23 & #34. Free agent WRs would probably like to play in NY knowing Watson is the QB. We are 2 pcs away from having a very good Oline. Hopefully we'll have CJ Mosely back. 

And we have a bunch of late picks to let the scouts, JD, and Saleh find some defensive speedsters to fill out the LB/CB spots where we lack speed. 

• Upvote 2

We're lucky to have gotten not one but two first round picks for a safety,  and now I see a lot of posters wanting to give those picks and our #2 overall pick away for Watson. We're not a Watson addition away from becoming a contender. Do not get me wrong I completely understand the desire to add a quarterback like Deshaun Watson, but it feels like we will have to enter cap hell in order to make up for the lost draft capital, thus making it a smaller window to win during Watson's prime. I'll support whatever the Jets decide to do, but it feels like we'd be cutting some corners to get back to the playoffs by highly leveraging our future.

31 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

We're lucky to have gotten not one but two first round picks for a safety,  and now I see a lot of posters wanting to give those picks and our #2 overall pick away for Watson. We're not a Watson addition away from becoming a contender. Do not get me wrong I completely understand the desire to add a quarterback like Deshaun Watson, but it feels like we will have to enter cap hell in order to make up for the lost draft capital, thus making it a smaller window to win during Watson's prime. I'll support whatever the Jets decide to do, but it feels like we'd be cutting some corners to get back to the playoffs by highly leveraging our future.

Because after Covid the salary cap is going to go up. Houston had many, many games that were much closer games than the Jets were in just based on the play of Watson alone. Why are we leveraging our future? 

Even if we trade 2 firsts we still will have a 1st rounder in 2021 & 2022 just like every other team. 

59 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Because after Covid the salary cap is going to go up. Houston had many, many games that were much closer games than the Jets were in just based on the play of Watson alone. Why are we leveraging our future? 

Even if we trade 2 firsts we still will have a 1st rounder in 2021 & 2022 just like every other team. 

I was assuming the Texans get the #2 and both Seahawks 1st round picks. 

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Lets see, we'd still have #23 & #34.

Oh wow didn’t see the trade compensation come across the wire, sh*t didn’t see the Watson trade period come across the wire.

I know everyone hates the guy that pisses in your Cheerios but y’all acting fools and need someone to piss in your Cheerios.

Watson starts with all 4 1st round picks the next 2 years deal with it.

So Watson helped Houston to a 4 win year and the jets are worse and going to be good eh:
Also have you seen Joe douglas's picks look after the 1st two rounds?  Surely if we add more zunigas, clarkes, morgans and perines we will be good.
The drafted punter even sucked.

Yes, everything sucks. Totally a rational take on why the Jets should definitely not go after a top 5 QB just entering his prime.
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

Do we really need another Deshaun Watson thread... 

Yes, yes we do because it needs to be drilled into stupid Jet fans heads that would be AGAINST a Deshaun Watson trade &  putting our faith in a ressurected Sam Darnold or drafting Fields is just plain ridiculous! The guy is 25 years old, easily top 5 & is definitely worth the 2nd pick (most of you wanted a QB anyway) so that's a wash except for money & next years pick which still leaves us Seattle #1, and whatever else? Darnold? Maybe 2023 #2? 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Jetster said:

Yes, yes we do because it needs to be drilled into stupid Jet fans heads that would be AGAINST a Deshaun Watson trade &  putting our faith in a ressurected Sam Darnold or drafting Fields is just plain ridiculous! The guy is 25 years old, easily top 5 & is definitely worth the 2nd pick (most of you wanted a QB anyway) so that's a wash except for money & next years pick which still leaves us Seattle #1, and whatever else? Darnold? Maybe 2023 #2? 

Notice that most of my posts on the topic of Watson are getting multiple thumbs up based on the trade value, while you got Joewilly. Listen, like I said before I'm not against the idea of getting Watson, but not at the cost it will most likely take.

4 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Notice that most of my posts on the topic of Watson are getting multiple thumbs up based on the trade value, while you got Joewilly. Listen, like I said before I'm not against the idea of getting Watson, but not at the cost it will most likely take.

People are so worried about the cost to get Watson, and the size of his contract.  They're casually ignoring what is to be GAINED. 

And I don't just mean an elite, 25-year old QB.  Free agents will be clamoring to come to this team.  We all hope the Jets sign an Allen Robinson or Chris Godwin type of WR this offseason.  This possibility becomes way easier with Watson under center.  In fact, I'd say it's a virtual certainty that trading for Watson would enable the Jets to bring in a true WR1 from the market.  

We have the resources to make this happen.  Lots of picks and lots of cap dollars.  Almost no cost should be prohibitive for Douglas to make this happen, should the Jets be one of the teams Watson is willing to come to.  Nothing is more important in this league than having a franchise QB, and as many have suggested, there is no "sure thing" QB in this draft.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

People are so worried about the cost to get Watson, and the size of his contract.  They're casually ignoring what is to be GAINED. 

And I don't just mean an elite, 25-year old QB.  Free agents will be clamoring to come to this team.  We all hope the Jets sign an Allen Robinson or Chris Godwin type of WR this offseason.  This possibility becomes way easier with Watson under center.  In fact, I'd say it's a virtual certainty that trading for Watson would enable the Jets to bring in a true WR1 from the market.  

We have the resources to make this happen.  Lots of picks and lots of cap dollars.  Almost no cost should be prohibitive for Douglas to make this happen, should the Jets be one of the teams Watson is willing to come to.

You wanna pick a fight lol...

8 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

You wanna pick a fight lol...

Think of it this way:  1-2 of the 1st rounders we'd be giving up would be from the Jamal Adams trade, undoubtedly.  We wouldn't be considered in the running to get Watson without those picks.  We already would be using the # 2 pick on a QB if we didn't trade down. 

So the end result would be Jamal Adams + Justin Fields/Zach Wilson + whatever additional pick(s) for Deshaun Watson (and the likely elite free agent WR that would come with him).

That's a net win in my eyes.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

of it this way:  1-2 of the 1st rounders we'd be giving up would be from the Jamal Adams trade, undoubtedly.  We wouldn't be considered in the running to get Watson without those picks.  We already would be using the # 2 pick on a QB if we didn't trade down.  So the end result would be Jamal Adams + Justin Fields/Zach Wilson + whatever additional pick(s) for Deshaun Watson (and the likely elite free agent WR that would come with him).

That's a net win in my eyes.

Yea but you didn't tell me you have an upcoming visit to the ophthalmologist lol...

• Haha 1

What do you hope to get with those draft picks?

I don't get it, we took a draft pick and used it to pick an all pro safety.

You didn't want to pay that all pro safety because it's stupid to spend that much on a safety and not a qb. So we trade the safety for two more picks.

Now you want to use those picks on a qb, but don't want that qb to be good, or any player we select to be good or else we will have to pay them?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, funaz said:

What do you hope to get with those draft picks?

I don't get it, we took a draft pick and used it to pick an all pro safety.

You didn't want to pay that all pro safety because it's stupid to spend that much on a safety and not a qb. So we trade the safety for two more picks.

Now you want to use those picks on a qb, but don't want that qb to be good, or any player we select to be good or else we will have to pay them?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Jets are such a bad team, the salary cap is our regular season and the draft is our Super Bowl.

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, everything sucks. Totally a rational take on why the Jets should definitely not go after a top 5 QB just entering his prime.

No eveything does not suck but know what?  All the weapons and CBs and oline upgrades we were going to make with all these first rounders no longer exist.  Who really contributed from the back end of douglas's 1st draft?  Bryce hall

Watsons a great QB, I'd like to have him.  Depending on cost.  You have to build a team, Houston is staring us right in the face, a 4 win team with a great QB.

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No eveything does not suck but know what?  All the weapons and CBs and oline upgrades we were going to make with all these first rounders no longer exist.  Who really contributed from the back end of douglas's 1st draft?  Bryce hall

Watsons a great QB, I'd like to have him.  Depending on cost.  You have to build a team, Houston is staring us right in the face, a 4 win team with a great QB.

Jets would still have basically a normal draft slate after trading for Watson and plenty of cap space after absorbing his contract. If A GM can’t rebuild with that, you’ve got the wrong guy and nothing matters anyway.

• Post of the Week 2

19 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Do we really need another Deshaun Watson thread... 

That's message boards for you. A highly paid player on another team sounds off after a bad year, and suddenly we're discussing every in and out of trading for him, speculating about whether we'd have to throw in an extra 5th rounder in 2023, who we'd meet in the play offs etc.

Most likely outcome by far - IMHO - is that this blows over as the off season rolls on, DW is a Texan in 2021 and a contingent here moan about how JD "never got it done", even if there was never an "it" in the first place.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

In addition to Darnold's many flaws as a QB, his lack of apparent fire and casual attitude about losing has been very annoying to watch over the last 3 years. I want my QB to inspire his team to run through a wall for him, and I never got that vibe from Darnold.

I don't necessarily need to see his fire. I do believe he is a competitor. You see this when he lowers his shoulder to take on a tackler and his annoying tendency to never give up on a play. What I want to see is command of the playbook, huddle and line scrimmage. Teammates are not inspired by a "rah rah" QB, they are inspired by someone who knows what he is doing and has the ability to do it.   

22 hours ago, Jetster said:

Watson would invigorate the entire organization & fan base! So, we have the unemotional Sam Darnold who constantly misses open WRs & has the enthusiasm of a California surfer vs Deshaun Watson who exudes confidence & completes 70% of his passes. Our team didn't even help Sam up after sacks. 

Or we can take a stab at a rookie? 

Lets see, we'd still have #23 & #34. Free agent WRs would probably like to play in NY knowing Watson is the QB. We are 2 pcs away from having a very good Oline. Hopefully we'll have CJ Mosely back. 

And we have a bunch of late picks to let the scouts, JD, and Saleh find some defensive speedsters to fill out the LB/CB spots where we lack speed. 

very true.  how did the jets beat the browns?  the team was flying all over.  that attitude, if captured for 60 minutes of every game will go far.

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I don't necessarily need to see his fire. I do believe he is a competitor. You see this when he lowers his shoulder to take on a tackler and his annoying tendency to never give up on a play. What I want to see is command of the playbook, huddle and line scrimmage. Teammates are not inspired by a "rah rah" QB, they are inspired by someone who knows what he is doing and has the ability to do it.   

Yes, there are many ways that QB's can win over their teammates.  I'm not doubting Danold's commitment to winning or his effort, I'm doubting his ability to be a leader in the locker-room and on the field and inspire his teammates.  As you mentioned, competency and actual skill are also components of inspiring your team, and Darnold has not shown much of either consistently enough to be an effective leader.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You'd maybe have a point if you could guarantee all the 1st rounders hit, and hit big.  You can't.  Seems strange for you to be counting on that given that you've been one of JD's bigger critics of late!  And even if they DID hit, weppinz, CBs and O-Line upgrades don't make the kind of impact combined that an elite franchise QB could. 

When you have an elite QB, everything on your roster looks better.  Even the defense, which often works a bit harder when they have confidence in the other side of the ball.

You build the team by GETTING Watson.  This is what you're missing here.  You've been so drilled into thinking that the roster needs to be perfect based on what you've seen over the years out of Jets QB's.  It doesn't.  And you're not sacrificing roster building entirely by trading for Watson.  There would still be plenty of picks left and plenty of cap dollars to add talent that would be hungry to come here and play with Watson (particularly at WR).