Starting to Warm up to keeping Sam, Trading to 4 and taking Pitts (plus other draft assets)

JetBlue

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Absolutely. I don't think they would go this far though; maybe 1(12), 2(43), 2022 1st, and 2023 2nd.

Ultimately the price comes down to the market.  Say Carolina offered say 1(8), 3(73), 4(113), 2022 1st, and 2023 3rd with SF offering that above, I would probably lean towards the Carolina offer for the simple reason that I would think the Panthers will draft higher in 2022. But at the same time, the SF offer is probably better. 

How about if they offered 1(8), 2(39), 2022 1st, and 2023 3rd? Then I would need at least 3 1st round picks from SF to make the deal. 

Only "issue" I see with the SF trade is that there seems to be a drop off in perceived tiers of non QBs in this draft. Obviously this is based off of media reports and Jets board may be vastly different but in my mind the top tier of non QBs seem to be: 

Pitts

Chase

Smith

Sewell

Waddle 

And then potential fringes there would include guys like Slater, Farley, Surtain, and Parsons. I have assumed (based off nothing) Jets would be going offense with their first pick. If you did believe the 5 I mentioned were in their own tier, and that at least 3 QBs are chosen before 8 - they'd be guaranteed one of the top tier guys. If SF is the pick the only premium offensive guy they may be able to get is Slater unless they have a premium grade on Vera-Tucker or Bateman. 

4 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Only "issue" I see with the SF trade is that there seems to be a drop off in perceived tiers of non QBs in this draft. Obviously this is based off of media reports and Jets board may be vastly different but in my mind the top tier of non QBs seem to be: 

Pitts

Chase

Smith

Sewell

Waddle 

And then potential fringes there would include guys like Slater, Farley, Surtain, and Parsons. I have assumed (based off nothing) Jets would be going offense with their first pick. If you did believe the 5 I mentioned were in their own tier, and that at least 3 QBs are chosen before 8 - they'd be guaranteed one of the top tier guys. If SF is the pick the only premium offensive guy they may be able to get is Slater unless they have a premium grade on Vera-Tucker or Bateman. 

I agree. I think there's a big drop-off outside the top 8

On 2/27/2021 at 7:48 AM, Untouchable said:

There’s another big positive to keeping Darnold that seemingly everyone is overlooking.

Say the draft comes and goes and Watson still hasn’t been traded.

If the Jets retain Darnold and move down with a team like Carolina, they could very realistically have three 1st round picks and two 2nd rounders in their back pocket in next years draft.

If you roll the dice on Wilson or Fields, that’s it. You’re out of the Watson sweepstakes. You’re committed to one of them for at least the next 3 years.

Hanging on to Darnold and moving down still gives you plenty of flexibility.

Yep. This Sam Darnold fella actually has done a nice job wrapping himelf in a bunch of positives hasn't he? lol 

The more I think about it the more sense keeping Sam seems to make, 

• Haha 1

On 3/2/2021 at 9:23 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

We havent had an offensive player of Pitts’ caliber since 1998 w/ keyshawn johnson.  Would we even know what to do w/ a player like pitts.

Who is the we? You and LaFleur or La Fleur and every offensive coordinator we've had in the last twenty years? Clarification would be appreciated.

On 3/3/2021 at 3:23 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

We havent had an offensive player of Pitts’ caliber since 1998 w/ keyshawn johnson.  Would we even know what to do w/ a player like pitts.

Pitts is a stud.  Facing Alabama last season 7 catches for 129 and a TD

Put this guy in a Jet uniform FOR GOD’s SAKE!!!!!

D87EEF4E-DA46-44E9-A672-463282F717D4.jpeg

• Upvote 2

On 3/2/2021 at 6:49 PM, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Pitts

Chase

Smith

Sewell

Waddle 

I'm not as hardcore about it as @Paradis, but Bateman going top 15 will probably blow the top of my head off.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not as hardcore about it as @Paradis, but Bateman going top 15 will probably blow the top of my head off.

bateman going in the top 15 would John Ross level Catastrophic.  

Every year people predict at least 35 players will go in the top 10. Last year this Forum and every other one was convinced Ruggs Jeudy and Lamb would all go top 10. None of them did. It’s not gonna be any different this year

54 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

2. Zach Wilson

8. Kyle Pitts (via Carolina, trading Darnold and #23)

34. Rondale Moore

66. Gainwell

Allen Robinson in free agency. 

Wilson - Robinson, Mims, Moore - Pitts - Gainwell 

Swap in Fields and I’ll make love to you right now. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Paradis said:

Every year people predict at least 35 players will go in the top 10. Last year this Forum and every other one was convinced Ruggs Jeudy and Lamb would all go top 10. None of them did. It’s not gonna be any different this year

you'll need to prove that one.  Even those who wanted WR for the Jets didn't say that.  Everyone thought the Raiders were taking one at 12 and that the other two would be gone well before the end of rd 1.  Reagor was a huge surprise and I figured Jefferson too would go round 2, but Minnesota had other plans.  I wonder if Minnesota thought Ruggs, Jeudy or Lamb would be there when they got rid of Diggs.  Turns out that Jefferson warrants his draft position after all.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Define catastrophic.  Picking 23rd, I'd feel Bateman going by 15 would be awesome.

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

you'll need to prove that one.  Even those who wanted WR for the Jets didn't say that.  Everyone thought the Raiders were taking one at 12 and that the other two would be gone well before the end of rd 1.  Reagor was a huge surprise and I figured Jefferson too would go round 2, but Minnesota had other plans.  I wonder if Minnesota thought Ruggs, Jeudy or Lamb would be there when they got rid of Diggs.  Turns out that Jefferson warrants his draft position after all.

lol

I'm simplifying for digestibility. Was it common to see all 3 gone by pick 11 eh, no but it happened... It was a revolving door with at least 2 out of 3 gone within the first to 10-12 picks.

*side note, Jefferson was widely seen as a top 2-3 WR in last years draft. I think media perception was off on that one. Just like media thought Butler and JJAW were first round locks. 

The point i was making while being bit of a know it all douchebag was - media public will always undervalue/represent OTs, Dline, DBs... the number of Backs/WRs/etc rarely wind up going off the board in the same volume as predicted in round 1.

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

lol

I'm simplifying for digestibility. Was it common to see all 3 gone by pick 11 eh, no but it happened... It was a revolving door with at least 2 out of 3 gone within the first to 10-12 picks.

*side note, Jefferson was widely seen as a top 2-3 WR in last years draft. I think media perception was off on that one. Just like media thought Butler and JJAW were first round locks. 

The point i was making while being bit of a know it all douchebag was - media public will always undervalue/represent OTs, Dline, DBs... the number of Backs/WRs/etc rarely wind up going off the board in the same volume as predicted in round 1.

I dunno... media sure didn't undervalue OTs last year.  And they never undervalue DBs.  In fact it's the opposite.  Phony 'lock down' corners and mostly irrelevant box safeties that seem to get stupidly high media rankings and get overdrafted every year.  

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

I dunno... media sure didn't undervalue OTs last year.  And they never undervalue DBs.  In fact it's the opposite.  Phony 'lock down' corners and mostly irrelevant box safeties that seem to get stupidly high media rankings and get overdrafted every year.  

You think I’m making this up? 

ok. You do you 

19 minutes ago, Paradis said:

You think I’m making this up? 

ok. You do you 

Last year, OL was pumped up by the media and that's a fact, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.  The big discussion was how many OTs will go in the top 10 picks.  There was a thread about it here too.  So I'm not sure just why you find it upsetting that QBs are always pumped up by media?  It always will be.  And nobody here claimed all three WRs were going in the top 10.  At least not in the 2020 WR thread. Big exaggeration.  The fact is that they all went in the top 17 anyway so even if it was suggested, it wasn't that far off.

49 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Last year, OL was pumped up by the media and that's a fact, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.  The big discussion was how many OTs will go in the top 10 picks.  There was a thread about it here too.  So I'm not sure just why you find it upsetting that QBs are always pumped up by media?  It always will be.  And nobody here claimed all three WRs were going in the top 10.  At least not in the 2020 WR thread. Big exaggeration.  The fact is that they all went in the top 17 anyway so even if it was suggested, it wasn't that far off.

man... what a distorted perception of the point I was making... not even sure this conversation is salvageable lol. 

Let's just move on, we both enjoy the same kind of beer and women. 

46 minutes ago, Paradis said:

man... what a distorted perception of the point I was making... not even sure this conversation is salvageable lol. 

Let's just move on, we both enjoy the same kind of beer and women. 

The point you were making?  LOL.  Sure.  Never mind facts.

31 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The point you were making?  LOL.  Sure.  Never mind facts.

I don't know what kind of cement you drank for breakfast this morning, but the point i made stands. Someone commented on the likelyhood of certain players lasting into the middle/later part of round 1.... ALL I SAID was the every year the draft community over project skills players going early - and often they last longer that mocked/talked about. 

That's it. 

*slaps a few DOLLAR BILLS down on the bar* 

Peace, I'm out. 

Keeping Darnold you still have to focus on building from the inside out for him meaning offensive line.  One under the radar move that happened yesterday was Isaha Wilson LT (First round pick of the Titans last year) was just traded to the Dophins in an exchange of 7th rounders.  Which means if the Dolphins now want to draft D. Smith WR to go with Tua his former wr or Chase they may be inclined to not draft Sewell at 3 if the Jets wanted to make a trade with Atlanta at 4.  Only thing is I could see the Bengels moving up to 3 to draft Sewell in front of Jets or they can wait and get Chase who was Burrows wr in college.

While I love PITTS, I will continue to say no matter who the playmaker is and no matter who the QB is you cannot throw to them while your back is on the ground or get it downfield when you are scrambling or worse when your QB is in the tent on the sideline.  The focus needs to continue to be offensive line.  Sewell and Becton would be those bodyguards