Joe Douglas should part with coveted draft capital to get Deshaun Watson

NYJ1

Joe Douglas values draft picks as much as any general manager in the NFL.

He maximized New York’s draft capital during his first draft running the show last offseason, swinging deals to accumulate a bevy of picks to address numerous needs. He also loaded up the cupboard in the Jamal Adams trade, landing two first-round picks and a third-round selection in this year’s draft.

When asked if he would be willing to part ways with some of the draft picks he meticulously compiled to land a star player– a question linked to Deshaun Watson’s situation with the Texans — Douglas hunkered down and reiterated his stance on the importance of rebuilding through the draft.

“Ultimately for us to get to where the great teams are, the most consistent teams are, you do that through the draft,” Douglas said this week, per the New York Post. “It’s the most team-friendly market in sports. For us to really be that team that’s consistently competing for Super Bowls, we have to hit on our draft picks.”

Those words don’t rule out the possibility of the Jets making a move to bring Watson to the Big Apple, but they don’t exactly inspire confidence in Douglas doing so, either. Giving up multiple high draft picks to facilitate a trade for Watson doesn’t jibe with Douglas’ philosophy of building through the draft, and he doesn’t seem too intent on going against his desired way of returning the Jets to prominence.

There might be a catch that lands Watson in Gotham Green next season, though.

If there is ever a player Douglas should bend his own rules to get, it’s Watson. The 25-year-old is coming off a career season and is arguably a top-five quarterback. Players of his ilk don’t become available every offseason. Considering New York’s long-standing quarterback woes, Douglas should be the first general manager in line to acquire his services.

Having an abundance of draft picks is nice, but the draft has long been proven to be an inexact science. Early returns on Douglas’ first draft class as Jets general manager are encouraging, but there is no guarantee his draft success continues. Any draft pick comes with an element of risk. That’s not the case with Watson, who is a proven commodity.

There is no doubt that Douglas is going to do everything in his power to figure out New York’s quarterback situation this offseason. However, his core football philosophies could stand in his way of choosing the best option to do so. Entrusting Sam Darnold to thrive under Mike LaFleur’s watch and surrounding him with weapons in free agency and the draft is a major roll of the dice. Selecting any quarterback not named Trevor Lawrence with the No. 2 overall pick is as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Merely the same stuff posed over and over again by the 'All in on Watson' group on these forums.

And the same unanswered questions are not explained.

- Great QB, no talent team = 4 wins

- Draft is a crap shoot so no big loss with all of those 1st rounders!  Build around Watson on a relentless team with all those 2nd and 3rd rounders!

- After the trade and our remaining cap space that has taken a hit, sign ALL the best FA!

- Lawrence is awesome sauce! None of the other QBs are any good!

Whatever you've been debating with other posters in other thread is not pertinent here. This is an article that I don't believe was already posted? Discussing the possibility of Douglas trading some, not ALL, draft capital to acquire a Proven player.

You get Watson you get a PROVEN player. No speculation about whether he'll develop. He's already developed. A trade of this nature solves the biggest riddle any young GM faces. It essentially renders the most important position on the field a NON issue.

So Beerfish my friend,  stop trying to make this about silly arguments you and others that spend 24/7 on this board discussing.....

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Trading for Watson is NOT the best option so the fundamental concept of this article is wrong. If he were say a FA that might be a different conversation but the loss of draft capital and opportunity cost is WAY too high. If we select Wilson and he tanks well we lost the #2 pick but we still have enough to build a solid team.

And how exactly is that? I take it you're referring to what you view as the minimum price necessary to acquire Watson? There is a point when it becomes no longer a good trade, of course.  However,  I think there is a happy medium where the Texans are happy with their return on the trade and the Jets can still build around their new franchise player.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Merely the same stuff posed over and over again by the 'All in on Watson' group on these forums.

And the same unanswered questions are not explained.

- Great QB, no talent team = 4 wins

- Draft is a crap shoot so no big loss with all of those 1st rounders!  Build around Watson on a relentless team with all those 2nd and 3rd rounders!

- After the trade and our remaining cap space that has taken a hit, sign ALL the best FA!

- Lawrence is awesome sauce! None of the other QBs are any good!

The infuriating thing to me is that people are fundamentally too afraid to take a risk and take a QB at #2. If our evaluation on any of the QBs is that he is a franchise guy just take him and do EVERYTHING you can to develop him. Let's face it with the horrendous mismanagement of this team in drafting coaching free agency, had we picked Mahomes with the #6 pick, we might be having the same conversation we having now about Sam. Free agents fail not because the evaluation is so far off in many cases, but because the situation that player went into sucked. I think we have a good situation finally for a QB to come in. Cannot live in fear in the NFL. Trading for Watson is a franchise killer. Does anyone seriously think he won't be a prima dona here as well? Maybe he waits a year before using the same antics for a new contract.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, NYJ1 said:

And how exactly is that? I take it you're referring to what you view as the minimum price necessary to acquire Watson? There is a point when it becomes no longer a good trade, of course.  However,  I think there is a happy medium where the Texans are happy with their return on the trade and the Jets can still build around their new franchise player.

And where is that in your mind? #2 and 2 more #1s is WAY too much to begin with and Houston through McClain is basically saying they want double that. Plus cap implications in year 2 are significant. We do not have as much cap space as it seems since we basically do not have a team right now.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Whatever you've been debating with other posters in other thread is not pertinent here. This is an article that I don't believe was already posted? Discussing the possibility of Douglas trading some, not ALL, draft capital to acquire a Proven player.

You get Watson you get a PROVEN player. No speculation about whether he'll develop. He's already developed. A trade of this nature solves the biggest riddle any young GM faces. It essentially renders the most important position on the field a NON issue.

So Beerfish my friend,  stop trying to make this about silly arguments you and others that spend 24/7 on this board discussing.....

The article is essentially the SAME thing people have been posting on here for weeks.

A proven Watson on a poor team, not as poor as the jets but poor won 4 games last year.

There are a lot of QBs who are good and put u good numbers and if the team around them is bad they fail.

Kirk Cousins has almost identical numbers as watson.  Stafford for years put up big numbers.

Should the Jets look into Watson?  Yes.  Should they sell the farm to get him?  No.

And as with the many on here who have stated the same thing as you over the past weeks you failed to address my issues or concerns.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The infuriating thing to me is that people are fundamentally too afraid to take a risk and take a QB at #2. If our evaluation on any of the QBs is that he is a franchise guy just take him and do EVERYTHING you can to develop him. Let's face it with the horrendous mismanagement of this team in drafting coaching free agency, had we picked Mahomes with the #6 pick, we might be having the same conversation we having now about Sam. Free agents fail not because the evaluation is so far off in many cases, but because the situation that player went into sucked. I think we have a good situation finally for a QB to come in. Cannot live in fear in the NFL. Trading for Watson is a franchise killer. Does anyone seriously think he won't be a prima dona here as well? Maybe he waits a year before using the same antics for a new contract.

That's not necessarily not going to happen. However, the odds are greatly against acquiring a player that gets Watson's level of performance. So acquiring a top QB via trade, so long as the price doesn't bankrupt you,  becomes an infinitely better proposition. 

The Jets need to build a team not buy one. I would take Watson for our 2nd pick and that’s it - or maybe we throw them a couple of 3’s along with the 2. They might have to cave. They get a top rookie QB at a bargain price. Jets are in no position to be buying a team and it almost never works anyway. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

The situations in Detroit and Minnesota are not comparable to the Jets. Different years, different players, different coaches, different salary cap situation all of it.

Trading for Watson and building a good team are not mutually exclusive.

If you take Watson and the extra picks out of the equation and give Joe Douglass 70 mil in cap space and a normal allotment of draft picks and he can't field a good team, he needs to be fired.

Yes they are comparable.  Very simple.  Good Qb, bad talent = bad results.

70 million - watsons cap hit plus the fact FA almost never solves team talent and high end difference makers in FA are either fools gold or half the league is after them.

Normal draft capital is the key one, everything hinges on the cost to obtain Watson.  If we are giving up a 1st this year and 1st next year that leaves us with 'normal draft capital' and you make the deal for sure.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Yes they are comparable.  Very simple.  Good Qb, bad talent = bad results.

70 million - watsons cap hit plus the fact FA almost never solves team talent and high end difference makers in FA are either fools gold or half the league is after them.

Normal draft capital is the key one, everything hinges on the cost to obtain Watson.  If we are giving up a 1st this year and 1st next year that leaves us with 'normal draft capital' and you make the deal for sure.

I'm not going to quibble over an extra guard out of Iowa.

Why are you assuming bad talent? Sure, if we're assuming Watson isn't here after 2023, I wouldn't make the deal either. But I'm going with the version where we have what might be the best QB in football (he was better than Mahomes this past season with no Travis Kelce, no running game, no Tyreek Hill and the immortal Texans coaching staff) for ten years. Sure Joe D might be gone before then, but that will be because he couldn't find talent AT ALL in both free agency and the draft and not because he acquired a future Hall of Fame QB.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

What I like about this article isn't even so much the subject matter as the following statement?

For us to really be that team that’s consistently competing for Super Bowls, we have to hit on our draft picks.”

Have we finally found a GM that actually understands the importance of the draft? Is it even possible when we've ultimately been stuck with a bunch of f%$#ing boobs over the last 12 or more years?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

I mean, I do think that Idzik understood the importance of the draft. He just absolutely sucked at drafting.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The article is essentially the SAME thing people have been posting on here for weeks.

A proven Watson on a poor team, not as poor as the jets but poor won 4 games last year.

How do the Jets have anything to do with that? The Jets are most certainly low on talent, but are you saying they wouldn't be able to build their team after adding Watson? And why is that?

There are a lot of QBs who are good and put u good numbers and if the team around them is bad they fail.

Well, I'm getting the Jets will not get better overnight,but as the team builds we become better. Why are you pretending like you already have all the answers. Do you have a magic 8 ball?

Kirk Cousins has almost identical numbers as watson.  Stafford for years put up big numbers.

What a DUMB comparison. Cousins and Stafford have NOTHING to do with the NYJ. You're also supposed to believe in your GM? After one draft, you think you know Douglas sucks at drafting? Lol

Should the Jets look into Watson?  Yes.  Should they sell the farm to get him?  No.

Thank you Captain Obvious

And as with the many on here who have stated the same thing as you over the past weeks you failed to address my issues or concerns.

I just did

40 minutes ago, The Count of Monte Cristo said:

I'm not going to quibble over an extra guard out of Iowa.

Why are you assuming bad talent? Sure, if we're assuming Watson isn't here after 2023, I wouldn't make the deal either. But I'm going with the version where we have what might be the best QB in football (he was better than Mahomes this past season with no Travis Kelce, no running game, no Tyreek Hill and the immortal Texans coaching staff) for ten years. Sure Joe D might be gone before then, but that will be because he couldn't find talent AT ALL in both free agency and the draft and not because he acquired a future Hall of Fame QB.

So now Watson is better than Mahomme, whoa daddy.    Watson s a future HOF whoa daddy.

This is simply a merry go round discussion for all of us.  The people that love Watson will down play the 4 win year.  Will down play the loss of team building resources and up play the effect of FA.  The opposite will occur with the people not in favour of going after Watson.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

He maximized New York’s draft capital during his first draft running the show last offseason, swinging deals to accumulate a bevy of picks to address numerous needs. He also loaded up the cupboard in the Jamal Adams trade, landing two first-round picks and a third-round selection in this year’s draft.

When asked if he would be willing to part ways with some of the draft picks he meticulously compiled to land a star player– a question linked to Deshaun Watson’s situation with the Texans — Douglas hunkered down and reiterated his stance on the importance of rebuilding through the draft.

“Ultimately for us to get to where the great teams are, the most consistent teams are, you do that through the draft,” Douglas said this week, per the New York Post. “It’s the most team-friendly market in sports. For us to really be that team that’s consistently competing for Super Bowls, we have to hit on our draft picks.”

Those words don’t rule out the possibility of the Jets making a move to bring Watson to the Big Apple, but they don’t exactly inspire confidence in Douglas doing so, either. Giving up multiple high draft picks to facilitate a trade for Watson doesn’t jibe with Douglas’ philosophy of building through the draft, and he doesn’t seem too intent on going against his desired way of returning the Jets to prominence.

If there is ever a player Douglas should bend his own rules to get, it’s Watson. The 25-year-old is coming off a career season and is arguably a top-five quarterback. Players of his ilk don’t become available every offseason. Considering New York’s long-standing quarterback woes, Douglas should be the first general manager in line to acquire his services.

Having an abundance of draft picks is nice, but the draft has long been proven to be an inexact science. Early returns on Douglas’ first draft class as Jets general manager are encouraging, but there is no guarantee his draft success continues. Any draft pick comes with an element of risk. That’s not the case with Watson, who is a proven commodity.

There is no doubt that Douglas is going to do everything in his power to figure out New York’s quarterback situation this offseason. However, his core football philosophies could stand in his way of choosing the best option to do so. Entrusting Sam Darnold to thrive under Mike LaFleur’s watch and surrounding him with weapons in free agency and the draft is a major roll of the dice. Selecting any quarterback not named Trevor Lawrence with the No. 2 overall pick is as well.

No he shouldn't.

Well, that was fun.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

That's not necessarily not going to happen. However, the odds are greatly against acquiring a player that gets Watson's level of performance. So acquiring a top QB via trade, so long as the price doesn't bankrupt you,  becomes an infinitely better proposition. 

I don't disagree with that but I have yet to see a proposal that does not bankrupt us. Only real way I could see us trading for Watson would be in a 3 way trade where a 3rd team winds up with the #2 pick.

• Post of the Week 1

Disagree

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

46 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

And where is that in your mind? #2 and 2 more #1s is WAY too much to begin with and Houston through McClain is basically saying they want double that. Plus cap implications in year 2 are significant. We do not have as much cap space as it seems since we basically do not have a team right now.

I'm prepared to offer the #2 overall, #34, and Sam Darnold. That's essentially THREE 1st round draft choices, a high second, and a player worth  late 1st in trade. Now that may not be what the Texans claim they want but their demands are ludicrous. They'll never get that amount for Watson.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

What I like about this article isn't even so much the subject matter as the following statement?

For us to really be that team that’s consistently competing for Super Bowls, we have to hit on our draft picks.”

Have we finally found a GM that actually understands the importance of the draft? Is it even possible when we've ultimately been stuck with a bunch of f%$#ing boobs over the last 12 or more years?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using JetNation.com mobile app

Is there a GM that doesn’t value draft picks? Of course it’s important. Acknowledging that fact doesn’t make you some genius. 

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So now Watson is better than Mahomme, whoa daddy.    Watson s a future HOF whoa daddy.

This is simply a merry go round discussion for all of us.  The people that love Watson will down play the 4 win year.  Will down play the loss of team building resources and up play the effect of FA.  The opposite will occur with the people not in favour of going after Watson.

We can trade 3 ones and still build through the draft.  These are not mutually exclusive as you keep arguing. 

Watson can play 15 more years. That's fifteen years of not having to draft a QB.  The deal pays for itself and then some.

• Upvote 1