Joe Douglas must be very confident in his ability to draft?

NYJ1

It needs to be known before I get started that I like this. You can't hope to be good at what you do unless you are confident in your abilities.

JD has added almost nothing through free agency. Even his big money signings are gambles on players with less than ideal careers. A lot of "We'll see" in their new contracts.

With that said, Joe Douglas must be confident that he can build this team into a Superbowl contender through the draft alone? That's really very different from any GM the Jets have had in recent memory.

With only one draft under his belt, what do you think? Are you confident he's on the right path?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Things take time. Leave the guy alone. It is still March. Long way to go until September. Final roster isn't finalized. Judge him later not now please. 

So what does that mean? Do you think he'll add a LOT more in FREE agency or will be simply rely on the draft?

18 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

It needs to be known before I get started that I like this. You can't hope to be good at what you do unless you are confident in your abilities.

JD has added almost nothing through free agency. Even his big money signings are gambles on players with less than ideal careers. A lot of "We'll see" in their new contracts.

With that said, Joe Douglas must be confident that he can build this team into a Superbowl contender through the draft alone? That's really very different from any GM the Jets have had in recent memory.

With only one draft under his belt, what do you think? Are you confident he's on the right path?

Which one or two NFL free agents do you think JD should have signed? Keep in mind, as a team that doesn’t have a lot of talent we’d likely have to top the contract they actually got.

For example, Joe Thuney got 5/$80m from the Chiefs. Joe Thuney would have likely cost us a little more to land him. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

So what does that mean? Do you think he'll add a LOT more in FREE agency or will be simply rely on the draft?

A lot of players will be cut. Draft is also upon us. Jets final roster isn't finalized. Too early to pass judgement in my humble opinion. 

4 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Which one or two NFL free agents do you think JD should have signed? Keep in mind, as a team that doesn’t have a lot of talent we’d likely have to top the contract they actually got.

For example, Joe Thuney got 5/$80m from the Chiefs. Joe Thuney would have likely cost us a little more to land him. 

Pay attention. I'm not inferring JD should have signed more players through free agency. I always believed Joe Douglas at his word.

2 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Pay attention. I'm not inferring JD should have signed more players through free agency. I always believed Joe Douglas at his word.

Guy, settle down. I am just curious because based on the thread title I assumed you were frustrated with JDs free agency so far. 

For me, my only frustration is we didn’t try and sign Corey Linsley. I know he got a ton of money but I wouldn’t have minded if we spent big to get him. 

It just feels like the Jets are putting a lot of pressure on themselves to fill needs in the Draft again.

I admire Joe’s steadfastness to his long-term plan and his free agency budget, but the talent has been bad here for five years. He has gotten very, very little contribution out of the 5 players he picked in Rounds 3 and 4 last year. Becton was excellent and Mims looked promising playing about half the season.  But Joe needs to do much better than that this year, especially if the #2 is going to be used to replace the quarterback. It leaves no wiggle room for those picks at 23 and 34. They have to be successful. The Jets don’t have a ton of flexibility, they have needs, and they’re putting pressure on themselves in this draft.

1001B638-DBA9-4E07-9288-4A413164DDEC.thumb.jpeg.b5762f89221a4261f1dc60ab99d44896.jpeg

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, QB1 said:

We signed two of the biggest most desired free agents out there. There are 32 teams, how many big FA did most sign? 0

True, but most teams had no money.

The real questions are these...

Did the Jets go into free agency with one of the worst rosters in the NFL? Yes

Did the Jets go into free agency with more Cap space than 90% of the teams in the NFL? Yes

Will the Jets finish free agency having Cap space that is more in line with the average NFL team? TBD, but I hope so.

26 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Honestly for him I would have paid more. He or Linsley and we’d still have a ton of money left. 

We needed one of them. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, QB1 said:

We signed two of the biggest most desired free agents out there. There are 32 teams, how many big FA did most sign? 0

Unlike the other NFL teams, we have a ton of cap room and the worst roster in the entire sport.  We needed to go bigger in free agency because the draft is never going to be enough.  What is the hit rate in the draft?  30%? 

If every year Douglas drafts 1 strong starter (ie Becton) and 1 kinda sorta maybe (ie Mims), refuses to pay his most talented players market value (ie Adams, Williams, Anderson), and goes cheap in free agency (cantevennameoneguywejustsigned), then it will only take 15 years to get back to the playoffs.

And then we'll consistently lose in the first round because we don't spend the money to get the free agents to push us over the top (ie Ravens, Eagles).

SAR I

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It just feels like the Jets are putting a lot of pressure on themselves to fill needs in the Draft again.

I admire Joe’s steadfastness to his long-term plan and his free agency budget, but the talent has been bad here for five years. He has gotten very, very little contribution out of the 5 players he picked in Rounds 3 and 4 last year. Becton was excellent and Mims looked promising playing about half the season.  But Joe needs to do much better than that this year, especially if the #2 is going to be used to replace the quarterback. It leaves no wiggle room for those picks at 23 and 34. They have to be successful. The Jets don’t have a ton of flexibility, they have needs, and they’re putting pressure on themselves in this draft.

1001B638-DBA9-4E07-9288-4A413164DDEC.thumb.jpeg.b5762f89221a4261f1dc60ab99d44896.jpeg

You make it seem like he has done nothing so far. He has signed 9 guys already, most of them solid signings. They have 9 picks in this draft including 5 in the first 86. It's going to take time. What were you expecting? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

You make it seem like he has done nothing so far. He has signed 9 guys already, most of them solid signings. They have 9 picks in this draft including 5 in the first 86. It's going to take time. What were you expecting? 

I think most of the criticism is that, whilst we signed some good players, with our massive cap room, we should have signed ALL THE GREAT FREE AGENTS. Unrealistic but that’s what fans do. 

And while I jest, just one or 2 more high profile FAs would have been welcomed. 

It seems, to some of us, that we loaded up on cap room the last 2 years to crush this year. 

And we just dented it. 

• Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I think most of the criticism is that, whilst we signed some good players, with our massive cap room, we should have signed ALL THE GREAT FREE AGENTS. Unrealistic but that’s what fans do. 

And while I jest, just one or 2 more high profile FAs would have been welcomed. 

It seems, to some of us, that we loaded up on cap room the last 2 years to crush this year. 

And we just dented it. 

I like what he has done so far and I don't think he's done either. I don't know how much cap space we have left but it seems like we have spent quite a bit and we need money to sign up to 9 draft picks as well. Would it make people happy if we signed Golladay for 18 mil per year? 

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

I am paying attention and I read it the same way. You said he has added almost nothing through free agency., So I think his question is a good one, what players did you want him to add that signed elsewhere?

17 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

Upgrades on offense, particularly at IOL and TE. The Jets have big needs there, there were players available, they had the second most cap space in the entire NFL, and they may be starting a rookie quarterback this year.

trust me, I understand the value argument and I am not a fan of overpaying, particularly after looking at dead money for guys like Trumaine Johnson, Bell, etc. But there’s an argument to be made that the Jets may have screwed up the development of their last #3 pick in part by trying to develop him in an offense devoid of talent and protection. If we are going to use an ultra premium pick (#2) for a kid at quarterback, I am fine with overspending a bit to ensure we give him a better chance at development and early success. It’s like buying a Ferrari and then not performing the oil changes on time or trying to get a value motor oil because you don’t want to spend for the good stuff. Don’t ruin the car.

11 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

I like what he has done so far and I don't think he's done either. I don't know how much cap space we have left but it seems like we have spent quite a bit and we need money to sign up to 9 draft picks as well. Would it make people happy if we signed Golladay for 18 mil per year? 

I think you misunderstand. 

We had the 2nd or 3rd most cap room in the league and I think we might have offered a bit more for Thuney or Linsley. 

I didn’t expect to get everyone or most of them or a few of them. 

I just wanted one or 2 more. All that cap room means nothing if we don’t use some of it. 

Next year we’re going to hear “we have the most cap room in the league!”  

I’d be perfectly fine with having top third cap room and a few more difference makers. 

Again, not expecting a huge haul but one or 2 more difference makers would have been nice. 

With all our cap space.