Joe Namath Vs Darelle Revis

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We love most that which we love when young.  I get it.

I still think Al Toon was one of the greatest WR's I ever saw.  And that Ken O'Brien was a good QB, lol.

I freely admit, I over-rate mid-80's Jets.  Because that was "my" SBIII in my youth.  

So Toon was a good WR. He was probably the first of his kind in the NFL. A pioneer of sorts. Just not anywhere near the best WR's to play the game. Kenny O'Brien was the BEST QB the Jets have ever had. The statistics bear that out....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

While I agree, it was closer to the truth than I think you or most here are giving Joe credit for...

Can’t just look at Joe’s numbers it was a different time - but if you’re going to - He threw for 4,000 yards in a 12 game season - when no one was even close to touching those numbers.  

For a short period of time Joe was amazing - his knees just didn’t hold up...

His 4000 yard season is one of the most overrated in pro football history.  With those 4000 yards he threw 28 Ints which cost the Jets the division title.

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Read on it.  The NFL told him he had to sell or he couldn’t play. he stated they don’t have the right to stop him.  he stood for his personal rights.   Revis was in violation of his signed contract.   Revis is a POS, his signature and word meant nothing.  

So he "quit" over a bar.  Thanks for clarifying ?

I'm not sure if you understand how contracts in modern pro football work.  Revis was maximizing his earnings. Yes it was frustrating but he's the best player we've ever had.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Suzy earned a special place in my heart that night. She could have destroyed him. She showed how a classy woman handles herself.  

We all owe her a debt of gratitude.  Is it just me or has she gotten better looking as she has gotten older?

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

She wasn’t remotely as pretty in that clip as she is now. 

• Upvote 1

Peak Revis is one of the best NFL players of all time. He was a joke. It was impossible what he was doing. 

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

You havent watched much football then.

Randy Moss and Terrell Owens probably have though, only two of the three greatest wideouts to ever play. Both said Revis was the best they ever faced. 

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

So he "quit" over a bar.  Thanks for clarifying ?

I'm not sure if you understand how contracts in modern pro football work, they are legal and binding and Revis was in violation of his contract.  Revis was maximizing his earnings. Yes it was frustrating but he's the best player we've ever had.

Fixed

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Football fans need to realize that unlike baseball, the game has changed.  QB play is different today, the rules are different today.  Namath would throw for 5,000 yards today as opposed to 4,000.  Rules are completely different.  From the hash marks, to being able to use you hands on the OL, from taking away the downfield chuck from a db and the physical pounding allowed back in the day.  

Look at those who played in his era.  Bob Giese threw for 2400 yards once! the rest of his career youre looking at 2,000 yard passing seasons.  D Lamonica, the "Mad Bomber"?  3300 yards once, 3K 3xs, the rest 2K.  L Dawson, never had a 3K season.  It goes on and on, you get the point.  These are all HOF QBs, who deserve it.  But their numbers cant be compared to the wide open, reivnented NFL

I would think wins and TDs are more important than yards. In Joe's 4000 yard season he cost the jets a division title because of his almost 30 Ints.

They finished a half game behind houston for the division title.  They tied houston 28-28, in that game joe threw SIX interceptions with two pick sixes.  If they win that game they win the division.

Putting that game aside in a 3 game losing streak weeks 11-13 he threw 6 TDs and 9 Ints, after they were eliminated prior to the final game he threw 4 TDs and zero Ints in the meaningless week 14 win

22 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Imagine what the QBs would be passing for in 18 game seasons in 2033, possibly 7000+ yards as the highest (Prescott was on pace for a 6k season last year in a 16 game season).

Now imagine a QB passing for 7000 yards THIS season. That’s what Joe Namath did in 1967. His 4k yard season in 1967 was equivalent to 7k season today. It wasn’t even remotely close. NFL QBs took 12 more years and 16 game seasons to reach that again. Namath did it in 14 games, which equates to 4500+ yards in a 16 game season, which would put him in pro bowl category even with today’s QB stats. 50+ years later. It’s insane to say the least and an outlier of a season. 

Were we you rate Otto Grahams 2800 yards in 1953?  It was 5,000 more yards than the 2nd and more than 8,000 yards more than the No. 3 QB.  Graham routinely threw for almost 20% more yards than the rest of the leagues QBs.  Namath had 1 4,000 yard season.  He actually lead the AFL in passing yards 2 years.  

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We love most that which we love when young.  I get it.

I still think Al Toon was one of the greatest WR's I ever saw.  And that Ken O'Brien was a good QB, lol.

I freely admit, I over-rate mid-80's Jets.  Because that was "my" SBIII in my youth.  

Namath was the best, no question, but Kenny O was underrated by Jets fans.  Some of those 80s teams were epic.

The best Jets regular season game I ever saw as a Jets fan was 1986 Week 3 against Marino.  Westly Walker for the win in OT!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GandWFan said:

Namath was the best, no question, but Kenny O was underrated by Jets fans.  Some of those 80s teams were epic.

The best Jets regular season game I ever saw as a Jets fan was 1986 Week 3 against Marino.  Westly Walker for the win in OT!

Birds would shlt on O'Brien he was immobile.  I liked him but as a young lad could see he was NOT gonna take us anywhere.  Has he ever won a playoff game? I can't remember.  In that draft class even Tony Eason went to a SB. Obrien was the only QB in the AFC East not to go to a SB. 

4 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Kenny does really get a bad wrap around here.   He had sone really good years. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I would think wins and TDs are more important than yards. In Joe's 4000 yard season he cost the jets a division title because of his almost 30 Ints.

They finished a half game behind houston for the division title.  They tied houston 28-28, in that game joe threw SIX interceptions with two pick sixes.  If they win that game they win the division.

Putting that game aside in a 3 game losing streak weeks 11-13 he threw 6 TDs and 9 Ints, after they were eliminated prior to the final game he threw 4 TDs and zero Ints in the meaningless week 14 win

The rules for cb's were different then not to mention the D-Line can no longer head slap the helmets of the O-line when the ball is snapped among other things that was changed starting in 1978..

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Mel-Blount-Rule-Pittsburgh-Steelers--44461148/

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Give Marino Al Toon and Wesley Walker and put Kenny O on the Dolphins.  Kenny was okay.  He put up a ton of hospital balls to Toon who routinely made circus catches on uncatchable balls.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Birds would shlt on O'Brien he was immobile.  I liked him but as a young lad could see he was NOT gonna take us anywhere.  Has he ever won a playoff game? I can't remember.  In that draft class even Tony Eason went to a SB. Obrien was the only QB in the AFC East not to go to a SB. 

Nope but his  backup Pat Ryan did..

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

As I said, because he was not Marino, Jets fans underrate him.  He was tough, stood in there and took the big hit to complete a pass, and had a rifle.  Mobile, no, but that was not prized back then.  Very good QB, yes.  Probably my second favorite Jets QB.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Trotter said:

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I hope you posted this to stir up conversation.

Joe was and still is an icon. When he came into the league and to NYC - he was a big as the beatles or any other culture change that you can think of . Not sure your age but if you were not around, please take the time to look at the documentaries and understand what it was like. Putting all of the non football stuff aside, watch his play and the speed in which he released the football. Flat out he could play and is without a doubt the greatest Jet to date - period end of story. 

I like my Johnny Walker red and my women blonde - there simply has not been another like him.    

He is the most important player in Jets history but he’s not the best and he’s not even a top 25 quarterback of all time in the NFL

2 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

lol Why do you even need to ask the question?

Revis is the very best player this franchise had EVER had and it isn't even close. Of course there's those dumb people that still have their panties in a bunch about him and wanting money and they'll claim he sucks because they are a bunch of emotional twits. However, at the end of the day, Revis has ALWAYS been the very best player this pathetic, sh*try organization has ever had....

Question came to mind because if I was bored of hypothetical trade down scenarios 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GandWFan said:

As I said, because he was not Marino, Jets fans underrate him.  He was tough, stood in there and took the big hit to complete a pass, and had a rifle.  Mobile, no, but that was not prized back then.  Very good QB, yes.  Probably my second favorite Jets QB.

Namath had 7 rushing td's and he wore braces..:eek:

7 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

No issue here,  I LOVE when I see guys where his jersey. Kenny O is a TRUE Jet.  

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Suzy earned a special place in my heart that night. She could have destroyed him. She showed how a classy woman handles herself.  

We all owe her a debt of gratitude.  Is it just me or has she gotten better looking as she has gotten older?

external-content.duckduckgo.jpg

If Joe was bald we would all be doomed. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Okay so now I'll chime in! A few of you guys on here definitely got it right. Joe Namath changed football forever. He's iconic just like the Beatles, Muhammad Ali, Star Wars, John F Kennedy and Martin Luther King.

My father who is now 74 years old said that he watched Namath at Alabama and said he was the greatest football player he ever saw.

What's unfortunate is that younger Generations in general don't understand the struggle and The Changing Times that there were then. In fact they won't understand it until they're in their 40s or 50s. That's just how it is..

Unless you're a historian you can only wax poetic about how great Led Zeppelin was or Jimi Hendrix or the day Bob Dylan plugged in. Or Cassius Clay changing his name to Muhammad Ali and refusing to fight in the Vietnam War.

People were waiting in line for days to see Star Wars. But after all that was when you actually had to wait in line to get concert or movie tickets.

I would think that these days people who actually remember having a beeper LOL, would look back on NWA and Public Enemy as the original hardcore hip-hop!? Maybe even popping an old CD in every now and then?

So my point is unless you're a historian you can't understand what it would have been like to have been there and why these times are so important to each individual generation.

I will say this to the younger guys, that as times change and the world changes around you you will one day hear somebody 20 years younger than you completely disrespect something very endearing to you and you'll tell them they don't know what the f*** they're talkin about!

Trust me I'm spitting absolute truth! Weed was way better when it wasn't legal. You'll see. More so someday you'll understand.

Weed wasn't meant to be sold in stores it was meant for the cool kids and the bad kids who had connections and to break the rules and say f*** you to The Man.

Revis was an excellent player but he was cut from the same cloth as a long line of Muhammad Ali and Neon Deion Sanders wannabes, guys who are good but they're definitely not the original.

One last thought and I'm going to bring Iron Mike Tyson into the mix. For as much of a derelict as this guy was when he was young , you have never once heard him speak negative on anybody in boxing history. He's a boxing historian that has total love and respect for the sport and the people who made it and came before him.

I happen to know some things about a few things. I know that a guy named Jimi Hendrix opened up for a band called The Pink Floyd and in the audience was Paul McCartney, Pete Townsend, Keith Richards, and Eric Clapton. They were all there sitting together to watch this new guy that they heard about, who was about to change everything.

So that's my Peace.

Didn’t mean any disrespect to Namath in the question I was just curious as to what people thought I have this debate with family members every once in awhile 

26 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

His 4000 yard season is one of the most overrated in pro football history.  With those 4000 yards he threw 28 Ints which cost the Jets the division title.

Both Boozer and Snell were hurt that year.  I think Elliot and Philbin were also hurt.  Namath kept them in the hunt for a playoff spot that year.   It was a fun team to watch because of Namath but the reality is the Chiefs and Raiders were much better than us.  We probably should have won the tie against Houston.  Namath threw 2 pick 6's but they also had a 70 yard TD on a blocked FG.  That team didn't have a good running game and the D wasn't stout enough.  We were turned into a pass only team.  Namath was a blast to watch that year.   Too bad you missed it.  Great memories.

• Upvote 1