Joe Namath Vs Darelle Revis

You take a look at the impact Ronde Barber had, the stats he racked up as a DB are insane. And he's still waiting on Canton. Ty Law somehow got in over him. The DB grades are weird. Revis prime was short and his "impact" stats are really low...he'll probably eventually got in, but eh..2009 was great...there were guys more impactful and better though. Plus the way his career ended just mailing it in. He could have been much more.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Revis was unquestionably a better DB than Namath was a QB. 

Namath is one of the worst QB's in the HOF.

Revis will be in the top 2-3 CB's in the HOF.

And don't worry, I'm 45, and I never saw Namath play either.  Most Jets Fans didn't. 

He belongs to an older generation, the Baby Boomers.  For all the generations that have come after, he may as well be George Washington.  A historical figure, not our guy.

With that said, I can't stand Revis.  I like Joe.

you can't compare namath to the qb's today.  the game has changed dramatically since the 60's and 70's.  it's kind of unfair to say he doesn't belong in the hof because he was such a lightning rod for nfl back in the late 60's.  and superbowl III was the most significant one because it ushered in the afl/nfl merger.  as for revis vs namath, i'd be willing to bet revis would get his share of picks.  hard to say if he would've been able to play the more physical game they played back then but he was certainly large and strong enough.  how would namath fair today?  probably pretty well.  he had that great compact and quick release.  he was fearless and if he didn't have bad knees or had better medical care, he would've been something.  marino is about the only qb of late that reminds me of namath.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

And don't worry, I'm 45, and I never saw Namath play either.  Most Jets Fans didn't. 

He belongs to an older generation, the Baby Boomers.  For all the generations that have come after, he may as well be George Washington.  A historical figure, not our guy.

I am on exact same page

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2021 at 9:44 PM, Warfish said:

Its obvious you never saw Namath before the injuries started to steamroll and destroy his body.  If you saw his first 5+ seasons you would know why he was so great.  

Nevermind what he meant to the game 

I never get the "not my generation" talk.  You have no idea how great Ruth, JoeD, Mays etc were?  Brown, Butkus, etc.  Just your generation?  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, clayton163v said:

Long time Jet fan here.  Let's not forget Johnny Sample.  The only player to win an NFL championship (he won two of them), an AFL championship and a World Championship.  The latter in Super Bowl III for the NY Jets.  A five time second team all-pro and first team in 1961 he also returned punts and kickoffs throughout his illustrious career. 

In the Super Bowl, he not only had a crucial pick, he knocked the Colts star tight end - Mackey - out of the game with a strategically placed cleat (yeah, there).   His leadership - he was co-captain with Joe - was crucial to the young Jets team in standing up to the Colts in that 16-7 victory. 

Revis was a great professional.  But his career does not measure up to Sample.  I believe he is not in Canton because he left the NFL for the AFL and wrote a "Ball Four" tell all autobiography known for its bluntness.  He also sued the NFL when they claimed that his friend - "Big Daddy" Lipscomb - had died of a drug overdose.  Sample sued them and forced a retraction.

I think he belongs in Canton and I believe that he - along with Joe Klecko - will be inducted one day.   He was a true original.

Johnny Sample, he used to come to our tailgate in the 90's.  Was a nice guy, had lots of great stories about his days with the Jets, about Joe, who he spoke highly of in every way.

Sample was a key player on that SB team.  He wasnt Revis though

2 hours ago, JetsMetsRangers said:

Revis would have not been in the NFL if he had the injury Namath came into the league with........

Coach Bryant called Joe Namath the greatest athlete that he ever had. Then came the North Carolina game when Joe's knees were wrecked. Never quite the same after that. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You take a look at the impact Ronde Barber had, the stats he racked up as a DB are insane. And he's still waiting on Canton. Ty Law somehow got in over him. The DB grades are weird. Revis prime was short and his "impact" stats are really low...he'll probably eventually got in, but eh..2009 was great...there were guys more impactful and better though. Plus the way his career ended just mailing it in. He could have been much more.

Slouch

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Joe is the most overrated player in Jets history but he’s still the face of the franchise. Revis could of been if he stayed on course and didn’t let his ego get the best of him. 

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I hope you posted this to stir up conversation.

Joe was and still is an icon. When he came into the league and to NYC - he was a big as the beatles or any other culture change that you can think of . Not sure your age but if you were not around, please take the time to look at the documentaries and understand what it was like. Putting all of the non football stuff aside, watch his play and the speed in which he released the football. Flat out he could play and is without a doubt the greatest Jet to date - period end of story. 

I like my Johnny Walker red and my women blonde - there simply has not been another like him.    

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its obvious you never saw Namath before the injuries started to steamroll and destroy his body.

Correct.  His era, and especially his "prime", was years before I was born.  

If you saw his first 5+ seasons you would know why he was so great.  

I know why he is considered the greatest by older Jets Fans.  

This is almost all of why he is in the HOF.

I never get the "not my generation" talk.

It's quite obvious.  Jets Fans who saw SBIII live hold Namath is a generally different place than those who did not.  

I'll give another example, Ryan Zimmerman and Max Scherzer are MY Champion Nats.  I saw them myself, watched the whole 2019 title year, I lived that.  Walter Johnson of the 1924 Washington Senators is a worthy HOF'er, but he's not MY guy.  He belongs to a (mostly now dead) previous generation. 

Doesn't mean I can't analyze him or respect him, he just doesn't resonate with me the way he might for someone who saw him win the title in 1924.  The emotion of "being there" colors human beings feelings about things, it's basic psychology.

Super Bowl III was your generations bit thing, along with Namath.  I can never own them, or feel them, like you do.  They didn't happen in my life, I have no connection whatsoever to them, or to Namath.  Be happy, at least you have that, so many of us younger (and by younger I mean approaching half a century old at this point!) don't have that Jets Title moment in our lives, we have far less.

You have no idea how great Ruth, JoeD, Mays etc were?  Brown, Butkus, etc.  Just your generation?  

Let me be clear, Ruth, Mays, their performances speak for themselves even today.  Same for Brown and Butkus. 

Namath's simply do not.  You cannot twist his 173:220 TD:INT ratio, his 62-63-4 career record as a starter or his 50.1 completion percentage into being "great" even for his era, or HOF worthy in the absence of his off-field effect, his singular SBIII guarantee and victory and his Jets ultimate legitimization of the AFL, i.e. as you say "what he did for the league", mostly off the field or singularly by winning SBIII, in terms of his massive larger than life personality and advertisement for the game of NFL Football..  

You don't have to like it, and you don't have to agree, but Joe Namath is one of the worst producing QB in the HOF.  He is there because of what he did for the league with his personality and SBIII, not for his career production, win/loss record, career postseason record, or any other on-field reason.  

12 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

I have to admit that I have never seen Joe Namath play as I am a relatively young fan (21). I also fully acknowledge that Joe Namath IMO is the greatest "Jet" of all time due to the super bowl, only 4000 yard season, the guarantee, probably still the face of franchise, and many other accolades.  But as good as Joe Namath was, at Revis's respective position, was he better at his job than Namath was at his? There is a real argument to be made Revis is a top three CB of all time and definitely top 5. As well as his 2009 campaign being the best season from a cornerback to ever play.  Nobody would look at Namath in that tier of QB's. So In short what I am asking is, Although Namath was the greatest "Jet" of all time, Was Revis the greatest "player"?

Yea let's choose a player who quit on his team and was a royal pain in the ass  over the greatest Jet of all time. The QBs today, if they had to play in Joe's day, would NOT be putting up the numbers they are posting. And if they had to play with his knees they would quit after one practice. Joe was and still is the greatest Jet. Someone may surpass him, hopefully Zac, but they'll do it without having to endure the pain and limitations that Joe had to endure.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

I understand this is difficult for fans who never saw Joe play.  Like Sandy Koufax he was simply the best before injuries took their toll.

My Dad was a big Alabama fan so I got to see Namath (and Stabler) play when they were in college.

Younger fans see the NFL today and do not realize it is the old AFL.  The NFL was boring with its 3 yards and a puff of smoke mentality.

Simply put, there very well might not be a NFL if the Jets did not win SB3.

Therefore, comparing Joe Namath to the self-centered and greedy Mevis is like comparing Guns and Roses to Lil Kim.

^^ this 

• Upvote 4

On 3/30/2021 at 9:25 AM, Warfish said:

It's quite obvious.  Jets Fans who saw SBIII live hold Namath is a generally different place than those who did not.  

I'll give another example, Ryan Zimmerman and Max Scherzer are MY Champion Nats.  I saw them myself, watched the whole 2019 title year, I lived that.  Walter Johnson of the 1924 Washington Senators is a worthy HOF'er, but he's not MY guy.  He belongs to a (mostly now dead) previous generation. 

Doesn't mean I can't analyze him or respect him, he just doesn't resonate with me the way he might for someone who saw him win the title in 1924.  The emotion of "being there" colors human beings feelings about things, it's basic psychology.

Super Bowl III was your generations bit thing, along with Namath.  I can never own them, or feel them, like you do.  They didn't happen in my life, I have no connection whatsoever to them, or to Namath.  Be happy, at least you have that, so many of us younger (and by younger I mean approaching half a century old at this point!) don't have that Jets Title moment in our lives, we have far less.

Let me be clear, Ruth, Mays, their performances speak for themselves even today.  Same for Brown and Butkus. 

Namath's simply do not.  You cannot twist his 173:220 TD:INT ratio, his 62-63-4 career record as a starter or his 50.1 completion percentage into being "great" even for his era, or HOF worthy in the absence of his off-field effect, his singular SBIII guarantee and victory and his Jets ultimate legitimization of the AFL, i.e. as you say "what he did for the league", mostly off the field or singularly by winning SBIII, in terms of his massive larger than life personality and advertisement for the game of NFL Football..  

You don't have to like it, and you don't have to agree, but Joe Namath is one of the worst producing QB in the HOF.  He is there because of what he did for the league with his personality and SBIII, not for his career production, win/loss record, career postseason record, or any other on-field reason.  

Football fans need to realize that unlike baseball, the game has changed.  QB play is different today, the rules are different today.  Namath would throw for 5,000 yards today as opposed to 4,000.  Rules are completely different.  From the hash marks, to being able to use you hands on the OL, from taking away the downfield chuck from a db and the physical pounding of the QB that was allowed.

Look at those who played in his era.  Bob Giese threw for 2400 yards once! the rest of his career youre looking at 2,000 yard passing seasons.  D Lamonica, the "Mad Bomber"?  3300 yards once, 3K 3xs, the rest 2K.  L Dawson, never had a 3K season.  It goes on and on, you get the point.  These are all HOF QBs, who deserve it.  But their numbers cant be compared to the wide open, reivnented NFL

• Upvote 3

54 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The fact that you didn’t see him or he doesn’t resonate with you is irrelevant. The question has become who is the more important JET?  Lincoln was more important that Grover Cleveland but neither I witnessed.

Revis was on the field for 2 of the biggest JETS losses of all time. Quit on his team, signed a new contract and showed up fat.  Revis got almost NO endorsements other than in a 2-3 year period.  Namath is king and Revis is a crook.  

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

I understand this is difficult for fans who never saw Joe play.  Like Sandy Koufax he was simply the best before injuries took their toll.

My Dad was a big Alabama fan so I got to see Namath (and Stabler) play when they were in college.

Younger fans see the NFL today and do not realize it is the old AFL.  The NFL was boring with its 3 yards and a puff of smoke mentality.

Simply put, there very well might not be a NFL if the Jets did not win SB3.

Therefore, comparing Joe Namath to the self-centered and greedy Mevis is like comparing Guns and Roses to Lil Kim.

I loved Joe and saw every game he played for the Jets.  He ain't Sandy Koufax.  Koufax was absolutely dominating and was considered the best of the best for a 5 years stretch that included lots of HOF pitchers.

Joe was amazing you couldn't take your eyes off of him.  He was not nearly as dominating as Koufax on any relative basis.  He was beautiful to watch, he was targeted by every opponent, he was a star but he didn't dominate the league like Koufax did.  It's really not a fair comparison.  Koufax is one of the most dominate greatest pitchers in an era full of great pitchers.  Namath was star and a very good QB who had amazing talent.  He didn't dominate.

12 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

I have to admit that I have never seen Joe Namath play as I am a relatively young fan (21). I also fully acknowledge that Joe Namath IMO is the greatest "Jet" of all time due to the super bowl, only 4000 yard season, the guarantee, probably still the face of franchise, and many other accolades.  But as good as Joe Namath was, at Revis's respective position, was he better at his job than Namath was at his? There is a real argument to be made Revis is a top three CB of all time and definitely top 5. As well as his 2009 campaign being the best season from a cornerback to ever play.  Nobody would look at Namath in that tier of QB's. So In short what I am asking is, Although Namath was the greatest "Jet" of all time, Was Revis the greatest "player"?

lol Why do you even need to ask the question?

Revis is the very best player this franchise had EVER had and it isn't even close. Of course there's those dumb people that still have their panties in a bunch about him and wanting money and they'll claim he sucks because they are a bunch of emotional twits. However, at the end of the day, Revis has ALWAYS been the very best player this pathetic, sh*try organization has ever had....

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

That is incorrect, Revis was the best cover corner of all time during his prime.  During Joe's prime(which I would say was 66-69) he threw 79 TDs and 89 Ints.  He had more 20 int seasons than 20 TD seasons.

Well man that’s like your opinion. 

Namath was better. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, NYJ1 said:

lol Why do you even need to ask the question?

Revis is the very best player this franchise had EVER had and it isn't even close. Of course there's those dumb people that still have their panties in a bunch about him and wanting money and they'll claim he sucks because they are a bunch of emotional twits. However, at the end of the day, Revis has ALWAYS been the very best player this pathetic, sh*try organization has ever had....

He has the best season in franchise history. It’s either him or Gastineau. He’s not the best player though. Too short of a prime, too many injuries, too much mailing it in.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He has the best season in franchise history. It’s either him or Gastineau. He’s not the best player though. Too short of a prime, too many injuries, too much mailing it in.

lol do you even watch the games? WTF from this scrappy organization had ever been better?

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

you can't compare namath to the qb's today.  the game has changed dramatically since the 60's and 70's.  it's kind of unfair to say he doesn't belong in the hof because he was such a lightning rod for nfl back in the late 60's.  and superbowl III was the most significant one because it ushered in the afl/nfl merger.  as for revis vs namath, i'd be willing to bet revis would get his share of picks.  hard to say if he would've been able to play the more physical game they played back then but he was certainly large and strong enough.  how would namath fair today?  probably pretty well.  he had that great compact and quick release.  he was fearless and if he didn't have bad knees or had better medical care, he would've been something.  marino is about the only qb of late that reminds me of namath.

Sb 3 was a huge game, but the merger was already happening.   

Namath had a relatively short prime, just 4 or 5 years cause of all the injuries, but Revis Island was also only 4 years on the Jets.

Big difference is Joe won a SB on the Jets (largely by handing off and being a game manager) and Revis got his ring in NE.

When revis came back and got paid, he got fat and stopped trying.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Its obvious you never saw Namath before the injuries started to steamroll and destroy his body.  If you saw his first 5+ seasons you would know why he was so great.  

I never get the "no my generation" talk.  You have no idea how great Ruth, JoeD, Mays etc were?  Brown, Butkus, etc.  Just your generation?  

But what about....the statz?!?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Too many injuries? Check your facts you whack job he had ONE injury that cost him most of the 2012 season. He ruptured his ACL. Other than that, you're calling missing few games with a hamstring too many injuries? Get a grip...

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

I loved Joe and saw every game he played for the Jets.  He ain't Sandy Koufax.  Koufax was absolutely dominating and was considered the best of the best for a 5 years stretch that included lots of HOF pitchers.

Joe was amazing you couldn't take your eyes off of him.  He was not nearly as dominating as Koufax on any relative basis.  He was beautiful to watch, he was targeted by every opponent, he was a star but he didn't dominate the league like Koufax did.  It's really not a fair comparison.  Koufax is one of the most dominate greatest pitchers in an era full of great pitchers.  Namath was star and a very good QB who had amazing talent.  He didn't dominate.

I do not disagree.  The comparison was more for their iconic and franchise value than competitive dominance.

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Football fans need to realize that unlike baseball, the game has changed.  QB play is different today, the rules are different today.

We understand that.

Look at those who played in his era.  Bob Giese threw for 2400 yards once! the rest of his career youre looking at 2,000 yard passing seasons.  D Lamonica, the "Mad Bomber"?  3300 yards once, 3K 3xs, the rest 2K.  L Dawson, never had a 3K season.  It goes on and on, you get the point.  These are all HOF QBs, who deserve it.  But their numbers cant be compared to the wide open, reivnented NFL

Bob Griece (HOF) - 14 seasons, 7x Playoff Seasons, 8x Pro Bowls, 2x Super Bowl Wins, 1x Super Bowl Loss, 92-56-3 record as a starter, 56.2% Comp., 192 TD to 172 INT.

Len Dawson (HOF) - 19 Seasons, 5x Playoff Seasons, 7x Pro Bowls, 1x Super Bowl Win, 1x AFL Title Win, 94-57-8 record as a starter, 57.1% Comp, 239 TD to 183 INT.

Daryle Lamonica (Not a HOF'er btw) - 12 Seasons, 5x Pro Bowls, 9x Playoff Seasons, 1x Super Bowl Loss, 2x AFL Title Win, 66-16-6 record as a Starter, 49.5% Comp., 164 TD to 138 INT

--------------------

Joe Namath - 13 Seasons, 2x Playoff Seasons, 5x Pro Bowls, 1x Super Bowl Win, 63-63-4 record as a starter, 50.1% Comp, 173 TD to 220 INT.

A Like-to-like comparison of similar era players, players you chose, and Namath is by far the worst of this group.  It's not even that close.  

The one player you listed that Namath is closest to is Lamonica, who ISN'T a HOF'er! 

This, despite having a vastly better win/loss record than Namath, a Super Bowl loss vs. a Win but 2x AFL Titles Namath doesn't have, a materially better TD to INT record than Namath, and a spectacular 9 of 12 seasons leading his team to the postseason.

Namath did have the magic 4,000 yard year, where he also had 28 INT's to his 26 TD's, and he never broke 30 TD's in a season.  Lamonica never got close to 4k passing yards, true, maxing at 3,200, with 34 TD's to 25 INT's.

15 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You missed the whole point of his Koufax reference

11 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You realize Klecko had a 20 sack season while also dominating the run game.  They just didnt count sacks for another year or 2.

• Sympathy 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

You missed the whole point of his Koufax reference

I loved Namath.  He shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Koufax.  There is no comparative reference.  Koufax was actually the greatest for a few years compared to HOF pitchers who were great.  Namath wasn't.