Joe Namath Vs Darelle Revis

11 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Okay so now I'll chime in! A few of you guys on here definitely got it right. Joe Namath changed football forever. He's iconic just like the Beatles, Muhammad Ali, Star Wars, John F Kennedy and Martin Luther King.

My father who is now 74 years old said that he watched Namath at Alabama and said he was the greatest football player he ever saw.

What's unfortunate is that younger Generations in general don't understand the struggle and The Changing Times that there were then. In fact they won't understand it until they're in their 40s or 50s. That's just how it is..

Unless you're a historian you can only wax poetic about how great Led Zeppelin was or Jimi Hendrix or the day Bob Dylan plugged in. Or Cassius Clay changing his name to Muhammad Ali and refusing to fight in the Vietnam War.

People were waiting in line for days to see Star Wars. But after all that was when you actually had to wait in line to get concert or movie tickets.

I would think that these days people who actually remember having a beeper LOL, would look back on NWA and Public Enemy as the original hardcore hip-hop!? Maybe even popping an old CD in every now and then?

So my point is unless you're a historian you can't understand what it would have been like to have been there and why these times are so important to each individual generation.

I will say this to the younger guys, that as times change and the world changes around you you will one day hear somebody 20 years younger than you completely disrespect something very endearing to you and you'll tell them they don't know what the f*** they're talkin about!

Trust me I'm spitting absolute truth! Weed was way better when it wasn't legal. You'll see. More so someday you'll understand.

Weed wasn't meant to be sold in stores it was meant for the cool kids and the bad kids who had connections and to break the rules and say f*** you to The Man.

Revis was an excellent player but he was cut from the same cloth as a long line of Muhammad Ali and Neon Deion Sanders wannabes, guys who are good but they're definitely not the original.

One last thought and I'm going to bring Iron Mike Tyson into the mix. For as much of a derelict as this guy was when he was young , you have never once heard him speak negative on anybody in boxing history. He's a boxing historian that has total love and respect for the sport and the people who made it and came before him.

I happen to know some things about a few things. I know that a guy named Jimi Hendrix opened up for a band called The Pink Floyd and in the audience was Paul McCartney, Pete Townsend, Keith Richards, and Eric Clapton. They were all there sitting together to watch this new guy that they heard about, who was about to change everything.

So that's my Peace.

The Tyson talk is classy.  If you Youtube it, watching Eddie Van Halen POUR Love and affection on Les Paul was so classy.  Eddie was a TRUE historian of the guitar and he knows who the greats are and were.  A screw it, I just found it. Its awesome.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I would think wins and TDs are more important than yards. In Joe's 4000 yard season he cost the jets a division title because of his almost 30 Ints.

They finished a half game behind houston for the division title.  They tied houston 28-28, in that game joe threw SIX interceptions with two pick sixes.  If they win that game they win the division.

Putting that game aside in a 3 game losing streak weeks 11-13 he threw 6 TDs and 9 Ints, after they were eliminated prior to the final game he threw 4 TDs and zero Ints in the meaningless week 14 win

Nr wrong number to the rescue

6 minutes ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Didn’t mean any disrespect to Namath in the question I was just curious as to what people thought I have this debate with family members every once in awhile 

Totally no disrespect taken at all. I was just answering your question with a bit of a broader View. My dad is 74, I'm 47, and my kids range from 8 years old to 17! Trust me I've been trying to figure this s*** out for years! I think I'm getting pretty close lol.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Okay so now I'll chime in! A few of you guys on here definitely got it right. Joe Namath changed football forever. He's iconic just like the Beatles, Muhammad Ali, Star Wars, John F Kennedy and Martin Luther King.

My father who is now 74 years old said that he watched Namath at Alabama and said he was the greatest football player he ever saw.

What's unfortunate is that younger Generations in general don't understand the struggle and The Changing Times that there were then. In fact they won't understand it until they're in their 40s or 50s. That's just how it is..

Unless you're a historian you can only wax poetic about how great Led Zeppelin was or Jimi Hendrix or the day Bob Dylan plugged in. Or Cassius Clay changing his name to Muhammad Ali and refusing to fight in the Vietnam War.

People were waiting in line for days to see Star Wars. But after all that was when you actually had to wait in line to get concert or movie tickets.

I would think that these days people who actually remember having a beeper LOL, would look back on NWA and Public Enemy as the original hardcore hip-hop!? Maybe even popping an old CD in every now and then?

So my point is unless you're a historian you can't understand what it would have been like to have been there and why these times are so important to each individual generation.

I will say this to the younger guys, that as times change and the world changes around you you will one day hear somebody 20 years younger than you completely disrespect something very endearing to you and you'll tell them they don't know what the f*** they're talkin about!

Trust me I'm spitting absolute truth! Weed was way better when it wasn't legal. You'll see. More so someday you'll understand.

Weed wasn't meant to be sold in stores it was meant for the cool kids and the bad kids who had connections and to break the rules and say f*** you to The Man.

Revis was an excellent player but he was cut from the same cloth as a long line of Muhammad Ali and Neon Deion Sanders wannabes, guys who are good but they're definitely not the original.

One last thought and I'm going to bring Iron Mike Tyson into the mix. For as much of a derelict as this guy was when he was young , you have never once heard him speak negative on anybody in boxing history. He's a boxing historian that has total love and respect for the sport and the people who made it and came before him.

I happen to know some things about a few things. I know that a guy named Jimi Hendrix opened up for a band called The Pink Floyd and in the audience was Paul McCartney, Pete Townsend, Keith Richards, and Eric Clapton. They were all there sitting together to watch this new guy that they heard about, who was about to change everything.

So that's my Peace.

I'm 3 years older then your dad before Joe got his knee's destroyed at Bama he was a really good runner.. What many young fans could never understand Joe represented the 60's changes from the old school 50's and before. He was like a rock star in those days and had fans at the other stadiums he played in granted the majority were female..LOL The way Joe dressed his Fu Manchu and his life style pissed off the older generation.. The 60's was a generation you can't understand unless you were there and lived it..

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Namath is clearly the most iconic, memorable Jet of all time and the most important so I don't see any issue with him keeping the mantle of "greatest" Jet for those reasons.

Certainly if you're ranking "greatest QBs ever" vs "greatest CBs ever" Revis ranks higher on his respective list though.

You still can't compare the era's they played in.. Could todays QB's have the same stats if they could get hit like they were before all the rule changes?? I think not...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

You still can't compare the era's they played in.. Could todays QB's have the same stats if they could get hit like they were before all the rule changes?? I think not...

100 Percent! They were tough man, it like the Micheal Jordan verse lebron or kobe - jordan took over the league just like Joe Namath did. Todays superstars coudl never do that in the the physical leagues they played in. The guys opf the past grew up playing like that. Joe Namath was tough as hell and mugged on the feild. Today qb's get a finger to the helmet 15 yard and a first down. You can hit a qb liek they used to. Brady would never make a whoel season in years past.

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

The Tyson talk is classy.  If you Youtube it, watching Eddie Van Halen POUR Love and affection on Les Paul was so classy.  Eddie was a TRUE historian of the guitar and he knows who the greats are and were.  A screw it, I just found it. Its awesome.

That was f****** phenomenal! Who's playing drums cuz it look like Bill Ward from Sabbath? Either way thank you for enduring and being patient enough to read my long-winded vodka and cranberry infused post. Also thank you for helping me make my point!

Nothing is better than the original and just about everything is a rip-off of the original.

Hell I was born in 1974 and when I got into rock and roll when I was about 12 years old and started playing guitar. I was fortunate enough that my father was also a guitar player and many of my family members are musically inclined. But I loved it so much I had to backtrack and find out how why where and when all this came from.

If you love anyting do your due diligence and find the original. You can go from Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin Van Halen to The Troggs doing Wild Thing. The British Invasion pretty much leads back to one guy named Robert Johnson. Traveling blues man singing Slave songs in Juke joints that supposedly sold his soul to the devil. What a story!

But even if you love football because you started with Madden or you play fantasy or fanduel, If you really start loving the sport look back at who created it how it was played and how it was made. Somebody was a game changer that's for damn sure.

16 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Well the era argument swings both ways -- the era Revis played in wasn't favorable to his position which highlights his dominance.

At his peak he was probably the most dominant CB post the mid 2000s rule changes favoring offense. Imagine if he were allowed to mug guys like they did in the 70s, 80s, 90s etc.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

You still can't compare the era's they played in.

You don't.

You compare them to the other players of the Era they played in.

Like I did a page or so ago for Namath.

Your own post above says it all, really:

Joe represented the 60's changes from the old school 50's and before. He was like a rock star in those days and had fans at the other stadiums he played in granted the majority were female..LOL The way Joe dressed his Fu Manchu and his life style pissed off the older generation.

And none of that, nor his swagger, nor his guarantee, were on-field qualities.  He is Joe f'ing Namath BECAUSE Of who he was off the field, and because his big hot air guarantee actually worked out, he called his shot and won.

Beside those two things, and his 4,000 yard mark one year, he wasn't great, even for his era.

We can love him, and we can think he's great, nay iconic, because for US he is, and still know he's om the HOF for many reasons, most of which didn't happen on a football field. 

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Were we you rate Otto Grahams 2800 yards in 1953?  It was 5,000 more yards than the 2nd and more than 8,000 yards more than the No. 3 QB.  Graham routinely threw for almost 20% more yards than the rest of the leagues QBs.  Namath had 1 4,000 yard season.  He actually lead the AFL in passing yards 2 years.  

Well I’m not comparing Otto and Joe. I don’t think Otto gets the required attention when you talk about GOAT QBs. Never saw him of Joe play but I’m willing to bet, based on historical data, Otto is the GOAT and it’s not even close. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I'm 3 years older then your dad before Joe got his knee's destroyed at Bama he was a really good runner.. What many young fans could never understand Joe represented the 60's changes from the old school 50's and before. He was like a rock star in those days and had fans at the other stadiums he played in granted the majority were female..LOL The way Joe dressed his Fu Manchu and his life style pissed off the older generation.. The 60's was a generation you can't understand unless you were there and lived it..

Thank you for sharing and I totally understand. In fact my Father called Namaths mustache the Fu Manchu lol!

I'm a big fan of the era, I always felt a familiarity. Obviously it was before my time, however it was a time of ideals. Lots of change going on around the world.

I'm sure you've heard the saying necessity is the mother of invention? There was a lot of both during those times.

I appreciate your take and if you ever served I thank you for that as well.

As I said I'm 47 and as I tried to bring up in my post you spend half your life thinking you know it all till, you realize you don't know s*** from Shinola!

In fact all of those old sayings still ring true and even more so as you get older with more experience and wisdom.

I'm a father raising four children and sometimes I try to enlighten some of the younger posters on the board because without the age and experience you can't really gauge the distance between things.

I think you know what I mean. I was working with a guy at my job who was in Vietnam and unfortunately had stepped on a mortar and still had shrapnel in his leg and his leg would just start bleeding from time to time 40 years later SMH!

The younger guys at my job had no idea what this dude saw, what he did and what he went through.

Like I said always respect the originals and the guys who did it first.

I tip my hat to you friend..cheers!

Edit: Also what you said about Broadway Joe, I have literally heard my father say the same exact things to the letter. So thanks for that.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

So that's my Peace.

2F05C70D-7323-4A17-9197-4CE2C177FA2E.JPG.699551eb74ccd7fa75cf4a28986b08ff.JPG

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

So that's my Peace.

cb796aace5c678d412d79128b2c33e9c--the-ji

By the way, you know who the act was in between Hendrix and Floyd?

Paul Simon, solo, Pre-big-hits Simon and Garfunkel.  In fact, I'm pretty sure he's in the picture above too.  

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

You don't.

You compare them to the other players of the Era they played in.

Like I did a page or so ago for Namath.

Your own post above says it all, really:

And none of that, nor his swagger, nor his guarantee, were on-field qualities.  He is Joe f'ing Namath BECAUSE Of who he was off the field, and because his big hot air guarantee actually worked out, he called his shot and won.

Beside those two things, and his 4,000 yard mark one year, he wasn't great, even for his era.

We can love him, and we can think he's great, nay iconic, because for US he is, and still know he's om the HOF for many reasons, most of which didn't happen on a football field. 

Where did Superbowl 3 happen?

• WTF? 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

2F05C70D-7323-4A17-9197-4CE2C177FA2E.JPG.699551eb74ccd7fa75cf4a28986b08ff.JPG

AWESOME!!  Can you even imagine? These guys are smoking joints and ripping off blues songs and had no idea the integral part they would play in changing World culture!? Just WTF!?

Just so you know, I heard that story from Sir Paul himself but I've read so many books and seen so many movies videos and documentaries I have no idea which one. But pretty cool stuff right?

I know for a fact that the Beatles and Floyd were both recording at Abbey Road at the same time so they had to know each other. Smoking their fags and the dentist lacing the sugar cubes in their tea!? Hey mate let's go see Jimi Hendrix and the Pink Floyd!? Un f****** believable.

Thanks for that one Jet Nut!!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

With the importance of turnovers and negative plays...I just don’t see how Barber isn’t recognize more. I’d rather the DB making negative tackles, forcing fumbles, pick 6’s and INts over the strict cover guy. 

That preference aside, it doesn't make the player an innately better CB. If he had Revis-skills he'd have been manning up 1-on-1 when Randy Moss, Torry Holt, Joe Horn, etc. were the big names Tampa faced. He was a NB. A great one, don't get me wrong, but a NB nonetheless. 

15 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

AWESOME!!  Can you even imagine? These guys are smoking joints and ripping off blues songs and had no idea the integral part they would play in changing World culture!? Just WTF!?

Just so you know, I heard that story from Sir Paul himself but I've read so many books and seen so many movies videos and documentaries I have no idea which one. But pretty cool stuff right?

I know for a fact that the Beatles and Floyd were both recording at Abbey Road at the same time so they had to know each other. Smoking their fags and the dentist lacing the sugar cubes in their tea!? Hey mate let's go see Jimi Hendrix and the Pink Floyd!? Un f****** believable.

i seem to recall hearing that jimi hendrix opened for the monkees.  simply amazing.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

cb796aace5c678d412d79128b2c33e9c--the-ji

By the way, you know who the act was in between Hendrix and Floyd?

Paul Simon, solo, Pre-big-hits Simon and Garfunkel.  In fact, I'm pretty sure he's in the picture above too.  

Now that you got me sportin' wood, I decided to do some research on the photo and thus far it's definitely Pink Floyd, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Marc Bolan of T-Rex representation from Emerson Lake and Palmer.  Still researching. Unfortunately for us in those days guys actually kept their mouths shut. It's hard to piece it all together but I did find this!

Rare-Poster-Sale-Ebay-adobe1.jpg

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Now that you got me sportin' wood, I decided to do some research on the photo and thus far it's definitely Pink Floyd, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Marc Bolan of T-Rex representation from Emerson Lake and Palmer.  Still researching. Unfortunately for us in those days guys actually kept their mouths shut. It's hard to piece it all together but I did find this!

Speaking of ELP, there was talk of Jimi joining them, renaming the group HELP!  How cool could that have been 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

The interaction between the individuals in those bands and other bands blows my mind. Jeff Beck and Steve Winwood and the Stones and Clapton and everyone in the Valley. I need a schematic to keep it straight. 

John and Paul discovered James Taylor. Bob Seger and Glenn Frey. All of the members of CSNY and their associated bands?

Crazy. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

FUKK Revis. 2 holdouts, always him first.

GREAT player, bigger ego. 

Namath may have banged Raquel Welch  THAT puts him number one   

Not so much ego.  He bet on himself and won.  It was about maximizing his income.  Football players age fast and they know it.  So do their agents.  I would also bet that Revis was/is very careful with the money he made.  I don't know a single thing about him personally, but going on how he ran his career, I bet he has smart investments and never spends the principal

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Speaking of ELP, there was talk of Jimi joining them, renaming the group HELP!  How cool could that have been 

Very cool in fact I'm such a huge fan of that era and I can't believe that those guys were so humble and all hanging out together and had no idea what their time together in their music would all eventually mean.

Obviously Hendrix and Clapton where is huge but the biggest free-agent was Stevie Winwood. In fact even Lennon wanted to start a band with Winwood.

Hendrix said he would break up his band and be partners with Winwood and obviously Clapton did Blind Faith.

Like I said in the above post guys kept their mouths shut in those days and they all kind of rolled together and we're humble so we don't really know everything that happened.

I'm a huge fan of all this crazy stuff. Probably know much more about music than football obviously. Like Wendy left Black Sabbath Sabbath asked Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin to join the band but wound up taking on Ian Gillan from Deep Purple instead?

All the classic stuff from the early 70s with Rod Stewart Keith Richards Lennon Elton John and David Bowie all hanging out and playing under different names on each other's albums.

And then of course you have the Traveling Wilburys!

There was also talk recently of Steven Tyler jamming with Jimmy Page? Steve Stevens from Billy Idol, and Steve Vai playing with Ozzy? Holysh*t! LOL!

• Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Far left, fourth head up from the bottom, is Paul Simon.

3 hours ago, chirorob said:

Gastineau had a 22 sack season, which set the record.

Klecko had an "unofficial" 20 sack season just a year or 2 before they started counting sacks as an official stat.

Yes i believe they did not officially count sacks until 1982 and Klecko put the 20 + in "81".......They said Coy Bacon had an unofficial count of 26 one year.........Thanks i knew Gastineau had 20+ one year and had the record before Favre flopped for Strahan.....;)

• Upvote 1

I'm getting a little bit older now and I've always worked and played really f****** hard if you know what I mean? Sometimes I walk into the kitchen and forget why I went in there and that's what I'm not stoned!

I do seem to remember there was a band called Sparrow from Canada that somehow turned into Buffalo Springfield ,Steppenwolf and eventually Crosby Stills and Nash. Sprinkling some Neil Young in all of that!  I'm totally awestruck by all of it. The talent that came out back then from all of those guys and they had no idea.. or maybe they did!?

21 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

The interaction between the individuals in those bands and other bands blows my mind. Jeff Beck and Steve Winwood and the Stones and Clapton and everyone in the Valley. I need a schematic to keep it straight. 

John and Paul discovered James Taylor. Bob Seger and Glenn Frey. All of the members of CSNY and their associated bands?

Crazy. 

Legend Has It that John Lennon and Jim Morrison both refused to play at Woodstock because they didn't like each other?

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Far left, fourth head up from the bottom, is Paul Simon.

I honestly don't see Paul Simon dude! I see the dude that people mistake for Lennon and I see the guy that looks like Pete Townsend. It definitely could be them but I still don't see Paul Simon. I do know that Phil Collins and David Bowie sign on TV together when they were teenagers. There's some black-and-white clips floating around on YouTube

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Not so much ego.  He bet on himself and won.  It was about maximizing his income.  Football players age fast and they know it.  So do their agents.  I would also bet that Revis was/is very careful with the money he made.  I don't know a single thing about him personally, but going on how he ran his career, I bet he has smart investments and never spends the principal

Great. and all that maneuvering is why I despise him.  Gronkowski ran his career well  and he is beloved in New England, there is no split amongst the fans. Fukk Revis, he was a hold out, whose word and signature  meant SHlT!  I would argue Gronk will get more HOF votes than Revis 1st year of eligibility. 

18 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Very cool in fact I'm such a huge fan of that era and I can't believe that those guys were so humble and all hanging out together and had no idea what their time together in their music would all eventually mean.

Obviously Hendrix and Clapton where is huge but the biggest free-agent was Stevie Winwood. In fact even Lennon wanted to start a band with Winwood.

Hendrix said he would break up his band and be partners with Winwood and obviously Clapton did Blind Faith.

Like I said in the above post guys kept their mouths shut in those days and they all kind of rolled together and we're humble so we don't really know everything that happened.

I'm a huge fan of all this crazy stuff. Probably know much more about music than football obviously. Like Wendy left Black Sabbath Sabbath asked Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin to join the band but wound up taking on Ian Gillan from Deep Purple instead?

All the classic stuff from the early 70s with Rod Stewart Keith Richards Lennon Elton John and David Bowie all hanging out and playing under different names on each other's albums.

And then of course you have the Traveling Wilburys!

There was also talk recently of Steven Tyler jamming with Jimmy Page? Steve Stevens from Billy Idol, and Steve Vai playing with Ozzy? Holysh*t! LOL!

Keith Richards is married to my friends aunt.  He loved Hendrix and has lots of great stories

But you’re right, there’s a cool doc on Hendrix and Claptons is recalling how when they first heard Jimi they called all the names Beck, Townsend etc and went to whichever club Jimi was playing.  Clapton talked about being blown away