Big board at pick 23

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

At this point in draft szn I feel I've seen enough to know the below players definitively won't be there at pick 23: 

5 QBs - we all know em 

3WRs - Smith/Waddle/Chase

1 TE - Pitts

2 Tackles - Slater/Sewell

2 CBs - Surtain/Horn 

That is 13 players. While other players like Derrisaw, Parsons, AVT, Kwity Paye, and JOK are consistently mocked before 23, I feel there is a chance any of them could drop due to competition (a lot of tackles - maybe someone prefers others to a player like Derrisaw), or other issues (Caleb Farley has injuries, Parsons has off field issues, AVT may be a guard and teams may not want to use a premium pick on a G, etc). 

Assuming you believe the above premise - what is your list of 10 players that you'd hand in as your "auto draft" order - so whoever is the highest rated player available by the time we pick at 23 - that player is the automatic selection for the Jets? Mine would be: 

1) Teven Jenkens 

2) Alijah Vera-Tucker 

3) Greg Newsome II

4) Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah

5) Micah Parsons 

6) Kwity Paye

7 ) Creed Humphrey 

8 Landon Dickerson

9) Jaelin Phillips 

10) Christian Derrisaw  

I definitely sorted more for need - as Derrisaw may be higher rated than any of the IOL I put on the list. I feel confident if I could address edge (which I don't feel is a big immediate need) or IOL at 34 - so was comfortable putting a player like Parsons ahead of some of those players just given his potential. The player I felt was the biggest omission was Caleb Farley. I am just too worried about his medicals to select him here. Will be curious to see if people agree on the top 13 being gone - and what your top 10 looks like. 

I am not very knowledgeable, I admit, but I would like Creed Humphrey. He seems to be a reliable quality center. I don’t like players opting out, football players are supposed to play football. 

13 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

1. Teven Jenkins

2. Vera Tucker

3. Creed Humphrey

4. Christian Darrisaw

5. Sam Cosmi

6. Dillon Radunz

------------ Large gap --------------

7. Kwity Paye

8. J O K

9. Caleb Farley

10. Greg Newsome

There’s a million offensive lineman in this draft and we can get one of those guys at 34. I’m not passing up on a guy like Parsons or Phillips if they’re available at 23

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

There’s a million offensive lineman in this draft and we can get one of those guys at 34. I’m not passing up on a guy like Parsons or Phillips if they’re available at 23

If you take Zach Wilson, I think it's our obligation to 'build. that. wall.'

We added Rankins and Lawson on defense. CJ Mosley is a question mark, but he's coming back? Well at least his contract is, that's for sure. 

We need to spend some resources on the offensive line. We struck out there in free agency. 

Forget the shiny objects on defense. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If you take Zach Wilson, I think it's our obligation to 'build. that. wall.'

We added Rankins and Lawson on defense. CJ Mosley is a question mark, but he's coming back? Well at least his contract is, that's for sure. 

We need to spend some resources on the offensive line. We struck out there in free agency. 

Forget the shiny objects on defense. 

We have a ton of draft picks over these next 2 years and plenty of needs. Take the BPA at 23 and then the o lineman at 34

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

We have a ton of draft picks over these next 2 years and plenty of needs. Take the BPA at 23 and then the o lineman at 34

Let's focus on protecting this quarterback prospect we take @ 2 right away. 

We need at least two guards, and likely a RT and a C eventually (not bullish on Fant or McGovern, but they're adequate now).

23 and 34 are lining up to be really nice spots for offensive lineman.

3 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Let's focus on protecting this quarterback prospect we take @ 2 right away. 

We need at least two guards, and likely a RT and a C eventually (not bullish on Fant or McGovern, but they're adequate now).

23 and 34 are lining up to be really nice spots for offensive lineman.

I’d argue that barring a surprise the OL board at 23 and 34 is tackle heavy but the guys they can cut this year are guards.

Could obviously take a center and move McGovern to guard - upgrade two positions. Would require really liking Humphrey and his scheme fit. I know his pro day showing was a surprise in a good way from an athleticism standpoint. They can certainly go the developmental route with a guy later or Meinerz at 66 or 86 if they think he’s a day one guy too. He could also sit a year I suppose but I think if you’re going iOL there you want a day one starter.

I like taking a tackle in the third round and letting him back up Becton and Fant this year before taking over for Fant more than I like having a tackle at 23 or 34 kick inside for a year and then back outside to take over for Fant. Better to build quality depth and not move guys around so much IMO.

There are very good, day one starter guards who will go later than 23/34. The best fit in the draft is probably a fringe day 2/3 guy.

I’d love it if Douglas can compile extra third rounders with moves down from 23 and/or 34. The draft is loaded with guys in the late second to early fourth who are scheme and need fits IMO. It’s the best spot in the draft for to set up to fill like seven or eight pretty significant needs.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

If we fail to protect our NEW toy QB, I want JD gone. 

And I’m a JD fan. 

This is the one area I'm most confident JD will address. He's seen first hand the impact on a young QB when it's ignored. I have to believe either 23 or 34 will be an Oline.  Personally I'd like a right tackle that can play guard year one. I'd like Humphreys as well if he's there .  From what I've read the tackle depth exceeds the depth at center, so center may be the way to go early. Whatever the case it looks like there will be a plethora of options for us. If we can at least get one starter, it will really help improve the group up front.

Becton, Clark or VR, Mcgovern, Eichenberg/Mayfield/etc, Fant

Becton, Clark or VR, Humphreys, Mcgovern, Fant

Not world beaters, but could be better than average.

If Jalen Phillips is there, I dont know how you pass on him.  Not really passionate about anyone else.  Ojulari will be gone.   

While I like Jenkins and Tucker, there are plenty of 2nd to mid rounders who can play RT; Mayfield, Carman, Eichenberg, Little, Moore Jr.   I even like my boy Stone Forsythe some what late, dude locked down Ojulari when we smacked around UGA and for the most part, kept a statue upright for a historic season. And I like Zachapono's RT.  Not sure who he is but on film Ive watched of Zachapono, he was able to really stay home with Zachapono fading out and leaving clean pocket, he always stayed in the play.

edit: an ideal draft for me is the at least rebuild one side of the LOS - C-G-T.  So how ever they go about I dont really care but the prospects and depth are here to do that this draft.  JD blew this opportunity last draft, dont do it twice, especially since you're taking an injury prone small framed QB at #2 overall.

On 4/5/2021 at 6:03 AM, Columbia Jet Fan said:

At this point in draft szn I feel I've seen enough to know the below players definitively won't be there at pick 23: 

5 QBs - we all know em 

3WRs - Smith/Waddle/Chase

1 TE - Pitts

2 Tackles - Slater/Sewell

2 CBs - Surtain/Horn 

That is 13 players. While other players like Derrisaw, Parsons, AVT, Kwity Paye, and JOK are consistently mocked before 23, I feel there is a chance any of them could drop due to competition (a lot of tackles - maybe someone prefers others to a player like Derrisaw), or other issues (Caleb Farley has injuries, Parsons has off field issues, AVT may be a guard and teams may not want to use a premium pick on a G, etc). 

Assuming you believe the above premise - what is your list of 10 players that you'd hand in as your "auto draft" order - so whoever is the highest rated player available by the time we pick at 23 - that player is the automatic selection for the Jets? Mine would be: 

1) Teven Jenkens 

2) Alijah Vera-Tucker 

3) Greg Newsome II

4) Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah

5) Micah Parsons 

6) Kwity Paye

7 ) Creed Humphrey 

8 Landon Dickerson

9) Jaelin Phillips 

10) Christian Derrisaw  

I definitely sorted more for need - as Derrisaw may be higher rated than any of the IOL I put on the list. I feel confident if I could address edge (which I don't feel is a big immediate need) or IOL at 34 - so was comfortable putting a player like Parsons ahead of some of those players just given his potential. The player I felt was the biggest omission was Caleb Farley. I am just too worried about his medicals to select him here. Will be curious to see if people agree on the top 13 being gone - and what your top 10 looks like. 

I think one guy you seem to have forgotten is Zaven Collins. Collins most likely won't be there at 23 but if he falls to 23 he will be hard to pass on. He would step right in and start at OLB, a position we don't currently have definitively addressed. He can rush the passer, set the edge and play a little bit of zone coverage. His ceiling is sky-high. Otherwise, I pretty much agree. I'm not sure how high the Jets are on these guys but I would add Rondale Moore, Marshall Jr., N.Harris, T.Ettiene, and Jalen Mayfield somewhere on that list (yes I realize that you only have 10 guys).  

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Kwity Paye should be higher. I think the board will be stacked to favor an OL at 23, but if a guy like Paye fell I would be shocked if they passed him

at this point, i'm wondering how strongly douglas would consider trading up to, say, 20, to get someone like jenkins, versus taking the BAP at 23 if he's an edge guy, versus trading back and taking a G or C 5 picks later.

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

at this point, i'm wondering how strongly douglas would consider trading up to, say, 20, to get someone like jenkins, versus taking the BAP at 23 if he's an edge guy, versus trading back and taking a G or C 5 picks later.

This.  Pick a guy and go get him like we did with Revis.  Be bold and trade into the early teens.  We have so many picks and so few good players. 

10 hours ago, football guy said:

Kwity Paye should be higher. I think the board will be stacked to favor an OL at 23, but if a guy like Paye fell I would be shocked if they passed him

I wouldn’t be shocked if they passed on him for an OL target. But yes, he would be one of very few defensive players that would make them think.

On 4/13/2021 at 7:45 AM, DetroitRed said:

How many here would be opposed to N Harris at 23?

I would be opposed. I don't see the point of using a first round pick on a non-premium position, especially when there are holes all over the roster that could be filled by talent at pick 23.

9 hours ago, Aussie Jet said:

I would be opposed. I don't see the point of using a first round pick on a non-premium position, especially when there are holes all over the roster that could be filled by talent at pick 23.

I agree.  It would  just be nice to have a top skill position player for once in our lives