Denver Broncos on strike?

Matt39

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d roll the FEMA vax van up into the parking lot then cut any player who refused to get it.

This is the answer, btw. I don't really care if players skip voluntary workouts, or what excuse they use if they do, but the league should 100% mandate that every player and coach has to be fully vaccinated in time for camp (or OTAs, or whatever mandatory thing is first on the calendar).

• Upvote 2

I really don't care, since as others have said it is by definition voluntary workouts, but it's also pretty clearly some serious excuse-making that they're using to skip it.  The only thing I think could be a problem here, for the team/players more than anyone else, is if this is how the veterans are leveraging against the young bottom-roster guys, to force the latter to not show up at the workouts either, as they're the ones who it could be a far bigger benefit to (at the potential expense of the vets).  If the roster is all in on this together, then obviously that's not an issue, but I can't imagine too many guys fighting for their careers really being fully on board with it.

With that said, the statement of "Despite having a completely virtual offseason last year, the quality of play across the NFL was better than ever" is the most laughably idiotic line of crap they could've spewed.  Last season was a cluster**** of immeasurable proportions, and the beginning of the year in particular was an embarrassment for the entire league.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

In Colorado it’s 16 and up.

Not all of the Broncos players live in Colorado full time. Where I live, you need to be a resident, not just an employee.  Even if you are eligible, it is a 5 week wait, unless you are lucky, to get shot #1.  A 3 week wait for shot number 2, and then a few weeks after that until it is effective. 

1 minute ago, Butterfield said:

Not all of the Broncos players live in Colorado full time. Where I live, you need to be a resident, not just an employee.  Even if you are eligible, it is a 5 week wait, unless you are lucky, to get shot #1.  A 3 week wait for shot number 2, and then a few weeks after that until it is effective. 

It’s not like they didn’t know OTA’s were coming up. What state are you in?

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It’s not like they didn’t know OTA’s were coming up. What state are you in?

Some states are still 65+.  

How do you expect players in those states to get a vaccine.  Just because it may be easy in one place, doesn’t mean it is everywhere.  

9 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

The only state I’m seeing that has 60+ is Hawaii. Most are all open season. Not sure what you are talking about.

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

This is the answer, btw. I don't really care if players skip voluntary workouts, or what excuse they use if they do, but the league should 100% mandate that every player and coach has to be fully vaccinated in time for camp (or OTAs, or whatever mandatory thing is first on the calendar).

Massive can of worms, though. You’d turn Josh Allen into a Barstool Kaepernick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

That’s what I’m saying. The vaccine is readily available. What’s the story here?

because Demaurice Smith is awful and gets abused at the negotiating table. His strategy previously was negotiate on money then sue the league for the other things and it failed miserably. Now his strategy is to use the pandemic to try to get permanent changes. 

Personally, I agree that it doesn't make much sense this year to return to normal, but this idea that "quality play was better than ever" is such obvious BS and the attempts to use the pandemic to try to 'negotiate' changes is his MO. 

If they wanted a virtual offseason then when the owners brought up the 17th game then they should have said, "Not until the offseason is virtual". DeMaurice is a poor negotiator and then tries to backdoor everything later... and still loses. 

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The only state I’m seeing that has 60+ is Hawaii. Most are all open season. Not sure what you are talking about.

You are wrong.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/covid-19-vaccine-eligibility-by-state

California, the most populated state in the country is still 50+.  8 states are still 40+ or more.  7 are 50+.  

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Sure. But Allen can hide behind the fact there will be other players with more street cred who try and leverage covid/not getting the vaccine to sit out again. This is a total media clusterbluck. Defend the vaccine or the pampered professional athlete?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

Why don’t they get vaccinated?

The nfl is not mandating players to be vaccinated and there is a significant part of the population who is choosing not to be vaccinated.

Secondly, vaccinated people are still being told to wear a mask and social distance so getting vaccinated wouldnt help.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think it's the opposite. If Allen puts the Bills season at risk because he doesn't want to get the shot, ten thousand Zubazed sister****ers will be on his front lawn with pitchforks and torches inside of 24 hours.

• Haha 2

Just now, BurnleyJet said:

Super fit 20 something millionaires be scared of C19 when they aren’t being paid for workouts ?

Ask some of the NBA players who have got it and then come back this season.  They have stated that it has impacted their game all season.  One bad season can impact an entire career for these guys.  Why should they risk their career on voluntary workouts?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

The NFLPA has been telling its vets to walk away from any voluntary offseason training this year.  I mean.  They've been aggressive about this the past few CBA agreement windows.   As we've all discussed.  But I find it funny that rookies, young second year players and UDFA's would benefit greatly from any workouts... but the union only seems to carry about the Aaron Rodgers and Russell Wilsons.

The union defends its members, by asserting the voluntary character of the offseason workouts and expresses that there is not a real need for it.

I'm not really sure, how you can take from that, that the NFLPA only defends the top players of the league. 

3 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Ask some of the NBA players who have got it and then come back this season.  They have stated that it has impacted their game all season.  One bad season can impact an entire career for these guys.  Why should they risk their career on voluntary workouts?

Plus, there are no fat NBA players.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Think I will skip work.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Plus, there are no fat NBA players.

This is an easy workaround. Push OTA’s and minicamp back a few weeks so every player can get vaccinated. I’m sure most of not all have been given the opportunity to get it through the league.

Just now, BurnleyJet said:

Think I will skip work.

Lots of unnecessary meetings and other in person functions have been canceled or made virtual in industries across the board due to the pandemic.  Why should athletes be treated differently, especially when their careers depend on their physical condition more than most people.

I am not a professional athlete, but I do play a lot of sports and do a lot of physical activity.  I got covid last spring and still feel the effects today.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

This is an easy workaround. Push OTA’s and minicamp back a few weeks so every player can get vaccinated. I’m sure most of not all have been given the opportunity to get it through the league.

A few weeks isn’t long enough.  Even if everyone got their first shot today, they have 3 weeks until they get shot #2, and then a few weeks more until it is considered effective.  As far as I know, the NFL has said they will not offer vaccinations above and beyond what states are offering.  It is going to be 6 months until everyone who wants a vaccine can get the two shots and then it be effective.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Again, they are not all getting vaccinated and you still have to wear a mask and socially distance even if you are vaccinated.

Just now, Butterfield said:

A few weeks isn’t long enough.  Even if everyone got their first shot today, they have 3 weeks until they get shot #2, and then a few weeks more until it is considered effective.  As far as I know, the NFL has said they will not offer vaccinations above and beyond what states are offering.  It is going to be 6 months until everyone who wants a vaccine can get the two shots and then it be effective.  

Sounds like a guy who isn’t looking forward to going back to the office. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Again, they are not all getting vaccinated and you still have to wear a mask and socially distance even if you are vaccinated.

How do you socially distance playing football. Last year did happen’ and they played the games 

28 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The nfl is not mandating players to be vaccinated and there is a significant part of the population who is choosing not to be vaccinated.

Secondly, vaccinated people are still being told to wear a mask and social distance so getting vaccinated wouldnt help.

I understand that you can’t force someone to get vaccinated. However the vaccinations protect from getting the virus. So if they are truly concerned about themselves and their families then they should get vaccinated.

• Upvote 1