Gotta Be Analytics

6 hours ago, David Harris said:

Like sh*t got weird there after the fourth round.  Not saying I don’t like it.

JD has increased the analytics Dept and to my eyes seems to be very prevalent looking at day 3.  

- multiple trade downs increasing the odds you’ll hit on some of these lottery tickets

-multiple picks for the same position with several projected position conversions

- super athletes with top RAS scores

-most with very specific measurables  or very specific stats regarding specific situations 

I initially thought it was just scouts having boners but the trends feel more like an algo at work

Its been working for the Dodgers

The key to the later rounds is to consistently draft athletic players that can be coached up to fit into the team's offensive and defensive schemes.  The Jets have been at the bottom of the league at doing this for a very long time because they've had a parade of poor GM's and HC's that either didn't have a long term plan, couldn't execute their plan, or were so bad at their jobs that they weren't here long enough to see their vision through. When a team has to push the rest button every 3-4 years, it's impossible to drive the franchise forward.

Joe Douglas is hopefully well on his way of changing all of that.

• Upvote 2

I don’t know if they are using a 3rd party metric or a homebrew but they absolutely value athletic testing in their evaluation. Which thank goodness because there is nothing worse than wasting another pick on dylan donahue or lorenzo mauldin. 

They also value pressure rates for their defensive front, even more than sacks it would seem. Good stuff. 

I don’t love sherwood, but it’s not a big deal to me and I trust at this point that they have a way stronger scouting process than I’ve ever seen since i’ve been a fan. 

They also are breeding competition, which I absolutely love. It was the best thing that Gregg Williams did here and one of the things I absolutely loathed about Adam Gase was not having the best players play and holding players accountable for mistakes. It makes player development so much easier if guys have to keep getting better to keep their jobs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

The key to the later rounds is to consistently draft athletic players that can be coached up to fit into the team's offensive and defensive schemes.  The Jets have been at the bottom of the league at doing this for a very long time because they've had a parade of poor GM's and HC's that either didn't have a long term plan, couldn't execute their plan, or were so bad at their jobs that they weren't here long enough to see their vision through. When a team has to push the rest button every 3-4 years, it's impossible to drive the franchise forward.

Well, half the league is loading up on offensive playmakers, so building a defense with the most athletic players possible seems to be a sound strategy.  By contrast, mccagnan’s picks of adams and Leo were average athletes for the position at best and they were high first rounders.  

So much better than the old formula:

"Hes a team leader, a Captain!"

Hes slow.

"No, he has amazing work ethic, we're shocked he was still on the board in the  __ round!"

Hes not Athletic.

"No, he's a core special teamer, situational, development project!"

Bro, he ran a 5.34. As a Linebacker...

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, David Harris said:

JD has increased the analytics Dept and to my eyes seems to be very prevalent looking at day 3.  

- multiple trade downs increasing the odds you’ll hit on some of these lottery tickets

-multiple picks for the same position with several projected position conversions

-most with very specific measurables  or very specific stats regarding specific situations 

I initially thought it was just scouts having boners but the trends feel more like an algo at work

Moneyball.

3 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

Idzik was like Machiavellian in his actions to try and oust Rex Ryan.   And Rex...like father...like son...was too much focused on his D.  Emphasizing the offense as just helping his D to succeed.  And that showed in Jets predominately using the 1st round for his favorite unit. 

Macc never communicated with Bowles-Gase.  He was drafting square pegs to give the HC-CS to fit into their round holes.

Woody-Chris Johnson'S set up a dysfunctional GM-HC relationship.  Having both of them reporting directly to their ownership.  Like most Billionaire owners...who view their purchase of a sports franchise like a trophy asset...that reflects their success in life.  No different then when they purchase a valued work of art.  Without understanding why it's considered so valuable.   It's a trophy purchase.  They want too much to be hands on involved in the GM parts of it.  It took so many years of failure to finally realize a functional hierarchy.   A GM...who is a football guy...with his vision for success.  Finding a collaborating HC partner...that shares that vision on how to build a team.  And they work together with a method to reach their goals for success.

JD...having come from the Newsome school for future GMs...knows how important it is for a shared vision and collaboration between himself with a HC-CS.  That's why a GM should always be the one hiring the HC.  Not owners.

JD listens.  Can be convinced to tweak his process and methodology to get better results.  Analytics is part of the process.  And using that approach is even more valuable in those murkier mid-late rounds.  Where it's more of a crapshoot.  And tools that analyze player measurables and athletics...is a factor to help in making a good pick choice.

This franchise under JD is starting to catch up with the modern world that's evolving in sports and the NFL.  It's a balance between art and science.  

I'm definitely on board with analytics as being a component in evaluation and decision making on prospects.  As long as it isn't a be all...end all...for making picks.  GMs should use it...but not abuse the process with it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, David Harris said:

I'm assuming the grade that the Jets put on a prospect has a lot to do with being a schematic fit as well as talent. It is entirely possible that the 2 safeties they drafted to play linebacker had a much higher grade with the Jets bc of that then those players had from other teams grading them as just safeties. 

There was also a pattern with the CB's they drafted which was they were very good in press zone coverage, bad in man coverage. If you're just giving them an overall grade they don't look so good but when you're looking at it thru the lens of the scheme Saleh is going to use then it makes total sense. So its possible on their board the Jets valued some of the defensive backs they drafted as 3rd/4th round talent in their scheme but got them later. Its the same reason the 49ers and Seahawks seem to find late round secondary talent every year. It's much easier to find late round talent in a zone scheme then it is in a man to man scheme. That's why I kept saying over and over that the Jets would not draft a CB on the first 2 days.