4 remaining free agents the Jets should consider

31 minutes ago, Bronx said:

I like this list and hopefully JD can bring some proven vets.

I do not see them doing it at CB or QB, . All indications are that Saleh wants to run with the young guys. People keep insisting we need to hire more FAs and nothing suggests we will do it. Plus MC2 played really well yesterday. I like the philosophy. Every veteran we rent for a year or 2 is one less young player to develop as part of our core.

• Upvote 2

I would bring in Moses depending on price and contract length.  Two years at 4-6 (he is a tackle and they cost money) would be fine imo.  I think the opening post is correct that Edoga is not quality depth and you can never have enough offensive lineman. 

As for Mullins, if he is healthy - a big if - then perhaps.  I firmly believe that final cuts will bring more attractive pickings then are available at the moment.  I would give Morgan and White the opportunity to earn the backup job in camp.  If they do, then stand pat. 

At corner, the all-out-war for roster spots argues against bringing in another player.  We return Hall, Austin, Jackson and Guidry and have added Carter (5th), Pinnock (5th),  Echols (6th) and Isaiah Dunn (FA).  And that does not include Justin Hardee who has the roster made as the gunner on special teams.  Give them a chance, the kids are alright. 

I have no problem going with White as the backup QB and dropping Morgan completely.  Same goes for cutting bait with Cam Clarke, he just didn't pan out and we've got plenty of young upstarts looking to fill his job.  At CB, Poole would be my choice.  Sign Moses because Big Ticket likes to take games off and he'll miss time this year, guaranteed.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

14 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

I have no problem going with White as the backup QB and dropping Morgan completely.  Same goes for cutting bait with Cam Clarke, he just didn't pan out and we've got plenty of young upstarts looking to fill his job.  At CB, Poole would be my choice.  Sign Moses because Big Ticket likes to take games off and he'll miss time this year, guaranteed.

WTF?

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Dropping cheap draft picks with some potential on their rookie deals, after 1 season?  No one does this or should do this. 

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

What sense does this make?

Morgan cost JD a draft pick and you want to throw it away for a FA signing that was already on the roster? 

And you want to give up on Cam Clarke who also cost us a pick because of injuries, shortened camp and other COVID issues he never even saw the field so you want to cut him?  To punish him and show him a lesson?  

And the trifecta is Becton LIKES to take games off (WTF) and you're guaranteeing today that he'll miss time.

Theres a reasons fans pay to watch games and GMs get paid to watch games.

• Upvote 2

Our Front 7 being led by Lawson/Quinnen/Mosley could be sick. 

And because of that?

I want to sign both of Steven Nelson and Richard Sherman. 

CB 1: Steven Nelson. 

CB 2: Richard Sherman. 

Nickel: Bryce Hall. 

Dime: Bless Austin. 

While training camp and preseason becomes a big competition between the likes of...

Lamar Jackson.

Jason Pinnock.

Michael Carter III.

Corey Ballentine.

Justin Hardee. 

(for the 5th spot). 

I'd rather those guys (above) fight for the 5th spot rather than premium Nickel/Dime spots. 

48 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Morgan cost JD a draft pick and you want to throw it away for a FA signing that was already on the roster? 

And you want to give up on Cam Clarke who also cost us a pick because of injuries, shortened camp and other COVID issues he never even saw the field so you want to cut him?  To punish him and show him a lesson?  

And the trifecta is Becton LIKES to take games off (WTF) and you're guaranteeing today that he'll miss time.

There's also a possibility that, with all these veteran guards on the roster (and AVT's spot assured) that Clark may find he's more useful at RT (or as a backup/swing tackle) than at RG. He was a college LT. Don't know if he can slide left/right quick enough for NFL outside rushers, but there's less competition at backup tackle than at backup guard at the moment. Edoga's been terrible. 

I think he's far from the favorite, but it's possible he finishes the summer with the RG job. Alternatively he may not win the starting job but may rank internally as the next-best guard ahead of everyone but the two starters. Or beyond that, he could carve out a career for himself as a backup G/T if he never earns a starting role. 

Your last line, though... yeah I'm not on board with that. Mike Maccagnan got paid to watch games. He knew less than a whole lot of fans who pay to watch them. ;) 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I have no idea what Morgan is, but I wouldn't feel at all comfortable with White as the backup. If Morgan doesn't beat out White, then they should sign someone else. This idea that the team may as well be uncompetitive and score 3 points if Wilson's not in there isn't appealing. The whole team gives up when you put in a Luke Falk type. It's bad for team morale.  If Morgan looks lost, there are dozens of other players on the team & you don't make them all risk injury for nothing so the Jets can save $2MM on a backup QB. 

Mullens doesn't get me excited even with his experience in this offense. Yes they went 2-7 in games where he was either the starter or took most of the QB snaps, and that blows, but looking more closely it wasn't all his fault. He was also without Kittle in most of those games, and further without Deebo in most of them as well (looks like he had each for about 2 & parts of a third amid those 9 games; most were without both of them). Mostert was also out for most of his games (as was Coleman). Richburg missed the whole season, and in Mullens's worst outing vs GB was without all of them plus Trent Williams & Aiyuk, too. They averaged over 23 points in his 9 games, surrendering 31+ ppg in the 7 losses. 23 ppg certainly is not elite, but it's more than the Jets have averaged in any of the past 5 seasons and within a point per game of the overrated but productive 2015 Jets offense. The Jets receivers will be better than he typically had last year; and few QBs are consistent winners when their team gives up over 30ppg anyway, let alone when playing with second string receivers & more.

Barring a major turnaround, failing to make any NFL team for 3 straight summers suggests White is someone you pick up off the street to be the QB2 after 1-2 of your rostered QBs is injured, or maybe just let him run the practice squad. He's not a QB2. Hopefully Morgan is, but If Morgan doesn't look really good, then adding Mullens looks like a no-brainer if he passes a physical.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There's also a possibility that, with all these veteran guards on the roster (and AVT's spot assured) that Clark may find he's more useful at RT (or as a backup/swing tackle) than at RG. He was a college LT. Don't know if he can slide left/right quick enough for NFL outside rushers, but there's less competition at backup tackle than at backup guard at the moment. Edoga's been terrible. 

I think he's far from the favorite, but it's possible he finishes the summer with the RG job. Alternatively he may not win the starting job but may rank internally as the next-best guard ahead of everyone but the two starters. Or beyond that, he could carve out a career for himself as a backup G/T if he never earns a starting role. 

Your last line, though... yeah I'm not on board with that. Mike Maccagnan got paid to watch games. He knew less than a whole lot of fans who pay to watch them. ;) 

I'm with you, I wouldnt count out Clark as a contributor somewhere on the starting OL or a key piece off the bench as depth.  But really, who knows, he didnt get a chance a year ago.  Mostly due to his own issues but COVID didnt help him as with Morgan.  

I dont think anyone expects White to beat out Morgan.  Theres no reason to place him ahead of Morgan $$ wise or for any reason.  Plus Morgan was a draft pick.  

I have to stop blanking out when it comes to Macc, he throw that whole fans watch oped.?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The jets went from having no CBs to having oodles of them, though we do not know  if these new guys can play or not.

nobody knew if richard sherman could play when he was drafted either.  the point is it's all about the coaches selecting the right guys and then giving them the tools and schemes to play to their strengths.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

nobody knew if richard sherman could play when he was drafted either.  the point is it's all about the coaches selecting the right guys and then giving them the tools and schemes to play to their strengths.

You're right. 

5th round pick. 

One of the greatest Defensive steals of All-Time. 

The GM and head coach are creating an entirely new team, scheme and system from scratch. It's literally Frankenstein's monster. This is why I haven't been all rah-rah and posting very much lately.

Don't get me wrong I'm very optimistic, apprehensive, and hopeful. But history suggests it's not going to be all sunshine and roses.

First-time head coach, rookie quarterback, first time OC.... I hope it all works out for the best.

However I kind of get the feeling like when I'm watching world's dumbest stunt devils and the kids skateboarding and doing tricks and you know any minute it's going to be a pelvis and an arm in two places.

Good luck Jets I'll be watching!

11 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Can't tell if you are trolling or being serious. While it's possible that both Morgan and Clark can both be mid-round busts, it would be asinine to give up on or cut either of them. They were project picks from the moment they were drafted. Neither of these two have played a snap of NFL football. If Morgan develops into a serviceable career back up, it would be a win. If Clark developed into a rotational back up, it would be a win. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

12 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Can't tell if you are trolling or being serious. While it's possible that both Morgan and Clark can both be mid-round busts, it would be asinine to give up on or cut either of them. They were project picks from the moment they were drafted. Neither of these two have played a snap of NFL football. If Morgan develops into a serviceable career back up, it would be a win. If Clark developed into a rotational back up, it would be a win. 

I don't see the "but they cost draft picks" argument as being in any way sound.  That's my main point.  Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade at all costs and without remorse.  Is there a huge difference between Morgan and White?  Dunno.  I just know I've heard nothing about Morgan even approaching center since he was drafted, and he didn't make the active roster even when there were injuries at his position.  There is someone better in the league that will be available, without question, before the season begins.  Why fill a valuable position with him.  we did that with Hackenberg when we knew exactly what he was year 1.  Clark is another one.  If the team thought he really had any potential after seeing him perform, then why pick up Van Roten, Feeney, Elflein, etc., etc.  Elflein came off the couch and started before Clarke.  As with Jachai Polite, if you see you picked the wrong guy, cut bait and improve your roster.  There is someone else out there that is better, without question.  Because if you're not good enough to sniff the field as even a backup on a two-win team, there will be castoffs from better teams with NFL starts under their belts available to fill those roster spots.  so fill them with those guys.  No more free spots to save egos. 

• Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

I don't see the "but they cost draft picks" argument as being in any way sound.  That's my main point.  Upgrade, upgrade, upgrade at all costs and without remorse.  Is there a huge difference between Morgan and White?  Dunno.  I just know I've heard nothing about Morgan even approaching center since he was drafted, and he didn't make the active roster even when there were injuries at his position.  There is someone better in the league that will be available, without question, before the season begins.  Why fill a valuable position with him.  we did that with Hackenberg when we knew exactly what he was year 1.  Clark is another one.  If the team thought he really had any potential after seeing him perform, then why pick up Van Roten, Feeney, Elflein, etc., etc.  Elflein came off the couch and started before Clarke.  As with Jachai Polite, if you see you picked the wrong guy, cut bait and improve your roster.  There is someone else out there that is better, without question.  Because if you're not good enough to sniff the field as even a backup on a two-win team, there will be castoffs from better teams with NFL starts under their belts available to fill those roster spots.  so fill them with those guys.  No more free spots to save egos. 

Talk to me after Clark and Morgan have OTAs, training camp, a pre-season, and maybe a few games into the season. At that point, we might have a little clarity on whether or not Clark and Morgan are lost causes.

Keep in mind that I am not defending the picks of Clark and Morgan, and I am not convinced that either will amount to a hill of beans. 

7 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Talk to me after Clark and Morgan have OTAs, training camp, a pre-season, and maybe a few games into the season. At that point, we might have a little clarity on whether or not Clark and Morgan are lost causes.

Keep in mind that I am not defending the picks of Clark and Morgan, and I am not convinced that either will amount to a hill of beans. 

Fair enough. I'm a bit biased since I hated the picks in the first place. 

57 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Fair enough. I'm a bit biased since I hated the picks in the first place. 

It makes no sense to HATE those picks.  We needed a QB (even a QB2 with some upside was indeed a need, considering the only QBs on the roster at the time were Darnold and Mike White) and we needed OL help.  We drafted a QB and an OL.  What exactly was such a huge problem people seem to have with those picks? 

Was it because neither were WRs?  Because it seems to me the WR group looks really good right now.

On 6/3/2021 at 11:27 PM, Jet Nut said:

So I was scrolling through this thread quickly and I read the bottom half of your post (the quote and username weren't visible when I read the bottom of your post) I instantly hit reply to ask the poster you who the hell said Becton "likes" games off and otherwise reiterate what a ridiculous troll-like take that is at which point I noticed I was replying to you and knew I obviously misread badly because that sure af wouldn't be coming from you ?

Needless to say, I wholeheartedly agree with your take!? Thank you for addressing the stupidity of that op in a much more timely manner than myself! 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 6/5/2021 at 12:40 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

It makes no sense to HATE those picks.  We needed a QB (even a QB2 with some upside was indeed a need, considering the only QBs on the roster at the time were Darnold and Mike White) and we needed OL help.  We drafted a QB and an OL.  What exactly was such a huge problem people seem to have with those picks? 

Was it because neither were WRs?  Because it seems to me the WR group looks really good right now.

No problem with drafting a QB if he was worth a 4th rounder.  Morgan wasn't and everyone here knew it was a headscratcher.  You're equating me hating those picks with hating the positions taken for some reason.  I hated the Jachai Polite pick and nearly puked when the Pats got Winovich.  Same position, different players.  Morgan and Clarke were not among my favorites.  In fact, the back half of that draft was unimpressive.  Ashtyn Davis was a question mark too.  Perrine couldn't start over Frank Gore and Ty Johnson and Josh Adams looked way better.  Zuniga at least cracked the lineup a few times as did Bryce Hall, so they get a pass on a screwed up rookie season.  The Wirfs Vs. Becton debate is a real one as well, considering Wirfs was a workout warrior who broke his college's powerlifting record and Becton is overweight and missing snaps because of it.  That leaves Mims.  An incomplete because he missed so much time last year, but he shows potential.  Don't get me wrong, I'm on the joe Douglas bandwagon.  But last year's draft was not good IMO.  And Morgan and Clarke were the worst of them.

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2021 at 1:01 PM, Bronx said:

Nick Mullens

Zach Wilson is officially the Jets’ next potential franchise quarterback. Now, it’s time for Joe Douglas to find him a mentor.

Mullens is a realistic option to fill the role if New York is not set on trading for Nick Foles and returns to full health after offseason elbow surgery. He proved to be a more than capable backup with the 49ers, throwing for 4,714 yards and 25 touchdowns over the last three seasons. Mullens won’t light the world on fire when his number is called and he is not the most experienced signal-caller out there, but he knows Mike LaFleur’s offense like the back of his hand at this point.

That could pay dividends for Wilson as he learns the system.

Is a guy who has only been in the NFL for three seasons himself, all as a backup QB, and one (2019) where he didn't throw a pass REALLY qualify as a "mentor"?

Is Sam Darnold now a mentor, lol?  Sam has more snaps and starts than Mullens, and I doubt anyone here would call him a mentor to anyone as yet.

I have no doubt we're going to sign Mullens (because I'm doubtful we go in with Morgan and White), and I'm sure he knows the offensive system better than players who never played in it I guess, but this really stretches the definition of "veteran mentor" in my book. 

A 26 year old third year backup with a grand total of 16 starts (1 full season equivalent), coming off a major injury is going to "mentor" our 21 year old rookie. 

LOL If you say so, I'd say it's the Coaches who matter for Wilson, not Mullens.  But I get it, and expect Mullens to be  Jet soon enough.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Is a guy who has only been in the NFL for three seasons himself, all as a backup QB, and one (2019) where he didn't throw a pass REALLY qualify as a "mentor"?

Is Sam Darnold now a mentor, lol?  Sam has more snaps and starts than Mullens, and I doubt anyone here would call him a mentor to anyone as yet.

I have no doubt we're going to sign Mullens 9because I'm doubtful we go in with Morgan and White), and I'm sure he knows the offensive system better than players who never played in it I guess, but this really stretches the definition of "veteran mentor" in my book. 

A 26 year old third year backup coming off a major injury is going to "mentor" our 21 year old rookie.  If you say so, I'd say it's the Coaches who matter, not Mullens.

They should mull it over. 

• Haha 2

On 6/3/2021 at 1:01 PM, Bronx said:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/lists/remaining-free-agents-new-york-jets-should-consider-2021-nfl-free-agency/

Tyler Calvaruso 

June 3, 2021 8:00 am ET

ADVERTISEMENT

The Jets have done well to address needs on both sides of the football this offseason. Between the signings of Corey Davis, Carl Lawson, numerous depth additions and what looks like another strong draft class, Joe Douglas has New York trending in the right direction.

There is still plenty more work to be done before the beginning of the regular season, though.

Gang Green’s roster still features its fair share of holes and there is still room for improvement across the depth chart. Fortunately for Douglas and the Jets, there are still a handful of players available in free agency who can contribute in 2021.

Here are four New York should seriously consider pursuing before the end of the offseason.

Morgan Moses

Upgrading the offensive line has been a point of emphasis for the Jets this offseason and Douglas has done well to surround Zach Wilson with quality protection. New York’s second-year general manager is far from done upgrading the unit, though, and a veteran offensive tackle like Moses could be an ideal fit at One Jets Drive.

Chuma Edoga has struggled throughout his young NFL career and cannot be trusted to produce in the event of an injury. Conor McDermott can play on the outside in a pinch, but he’s better suited at guard. That leaves the Jets with no true quality offensive tackle depth entering 2021. Moses could fill that void with ease, as he started 96 consecutive games with Washington before his release in May.

Steven Nelson

The Jets loaded up on cornerbacks on the final day of the 2021 NFL draft, but there is still a need for veteran depth at the position.

New York still has plenty of work to do to upgrade its young and inexperienced cornerback room. Nelson’s brief stint with the Steelers was a mostly productive one, as he recorded 95 tackles, three interceptions, two tackles for loss and two fumble recoveries. The 28-year-old also ranked among the best man-to-man cover cornerbacks during his time in the Steel City, according to Pro Football Focus.

Nelson would instantly give the Jets an upgrade on the outside and vastly improve the current state of its secondary. Not many remaining free agent cornerbacks could have that kind of impact.

Nickell-Robey Coleman

The Jets like Michael Carter II, who profiles as a nickel cornerback in the NFL, a lot. However, there is no guarantee he will be ready to handle starting duties at the position from day one.

Robey-Coleman is coming off an up and down 2020 season with the Eagles, but he graded out as one of the better slot cornerbacks in 2019 and could profile as a fit in Saleh’s defense playing that role. The USC product is familiar with the AFC East landscape from his days with the Bills and Saleh had the chance to see the 29-year-old work up close when he was with the Rams.

If Saleh liked what he saw then, Robey-Coleman could be an option to play the nickel for the Jets next season.

Nick Mullens

Zach Wilson is officially the Jets’ next potential franchise quarterback. Now, it’s time for Joe Douglas to find him a mentor.

Mullens is a realistic option to fill the role if New York is not set on trading for Nick Foles and returns to full health after offseason elbow surgery. He proved to be a more than capable backup with the 49ers, throwing for 4,714 yards and 25 touchdowns over the last three seasons. Mullens won’t light the world on fire when his number is called and he is not the most experienced signal-caller out there, but he knows Mike LaFleur’s offense like the back of his hand at this point.

That could pay dividends for Wilson as he learns the system.

agree, moses nice signing:

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/07/new-york-jets-mekhi-becton-foot-injury-morgan-moses-2021-nfl-free-agency/

1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

No problem with drafting a QB if he was worth a 4th rounder.  Morgan wasn't and everyone here knew it was a headscratcher.  You're equating me hating those picks with hating the positions taken for some reason.  I hated the Jachai Polite pick and nearly puked when the Pats got Winovich.  Same position, different players.  Morgan and Clarke were not among my favorites.  In fact, the back half of that draft was unimpressive.  Ashtyn Davis was a question mark too.  Perrine couldn't start over Frank Gore and Ty Johnson and Josh Adams looked way better.  Zuniga at least cracked the lineup a few times as did Bryce Hall, so they get a pass on a screwed up rookie season.  The Wirfs Vs. Becton debate is a real one as well, considering Wirfs was a workout warrior who broke his college's powerlifting record and Becton is overweight and missing snaps because of it.  That leaves Mims.  An incomplete because he missed so much time last year, but he shows potential.  Don't get me wrong, I'm on the joe Douglas bandwagon.  But last year's draft was not good IMO.  And Morgan and Clarke were the worst of them.

I can accept not liking Morgan and Clark as prospects.  The ones who hated drafting a QB, period, were the ones that confused me.  

Thanks for clarifying.  

• Upvote 1