Steven Nelson

Would've loved him but @ 28 he's getting up there in age (for a CB) and JD believes in the youth movement but I still would've liked to kick the tires because what's the worst that could've happened? He disappointed before immediately benching him and still going with the youth movement? 

Eagles just upgraded.

2 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets are building a whole new thing. It’s not a rebuild, it’s foundational. They’re gonna get the kids on the field at CB, LB, WR and see what they have. They’re not in the rush some fans are, they’re trying to do it the right way. In this defense, that means a different breed of CB. 

No rush here been waiting 52 years and counting......................

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Eagles sign CB ,,, 1 year deal 4 million. Sigh !

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

Remarkable how people on here always saying we should offer this and that for said player only to see said player sign for much less. It's like people here still have the mentality that we need to overpay to have people come here and JD refuses to do that. I remember the number 10 mil being bandied about for this guy. JD will pay market value (or less) but not overpay for players to come to the Jets.

People on this board need to get used to it.

Sent from the NY Jets Training Camp Suicide Watch desk.

• Sympathy 1

The Jets are building a whole new thing. It’s not a rebuild, it’s foundational. They’re gonna get the kids on the field at CB, LB, WR and see what they have. They’re not in the rush some fans are, they’re trying to do it the right way. In this defense, that means a different breed of CB. 

What does that mean? Doing it the right way is apparently having a bunch of unknowns with no starting experience at a very important position.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No rush here been waiting 52 years and counting......................

We may be in a rush but thats not how you should build a team to last.  Thats the JD plan, not getting the cb who's name you've read.  Especially when he doesnt really fit their D

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

What does that mean? Doing it the right way is apparently having a bunch of unknowns with no starting experience at a very important position.

You really need to look at what they've done at most positions instead of saying something like this.  Its exactly what @slats was saying when he said "They’re not in the rush some fans are, they’re trying to do it the right way. In this defense, that means a different breed of CB. "

Calm Down Season 5 GIF by Outlander

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

We may be in a rush but thats not how you should build a team to last.  Thats the JD plan, not getting the cb who's name you've read.  Especially when he doesnt really fit their D

Id rather see the youth movement at CB.I was big on Bless Austin he did alright. Add in a legitimate pass rush and the secondary instantly improves. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

Deal with the fact that Saleh/Ulbrich are going young at CB.  We'll
see who steps up, remember Trumaine Johnson was a "big name" how did
that work out?

I can't stand these types of arguments. Just because Trumaine Johnson busted has nothing to do with other NFL players. 

That's like me saying because Sanchez and Sam busted we should hold it against Zach Wilson and/or just because Fant busted as a FA we shouldn't have signed Morgan Moses etc. 

I'm not upset at all about not landing Nelson but I can't comprehend how Trumaine has anything to do with Nelson (or any other player) especially since Nelson is a 1 year rental and Johnson was a poison contract...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Deal with the fact that Saleh/Ulbrich are going young at CB.  We'll
see who steps up, remember Trumaine Johnson was a "big name" how did
that work out?

Cant compare Nelson at 1yr 4mil to Johnson and that deal lol cmon 

2 hours ago, slats said:

Exactly. We want CB's that CANT cover. Nelson does not fit that scheme.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Understood,,,but that doesn't mean bringing 1 veteran free agent to add with the teaching isn't such a bad idea .

I know it is a concept that has not been seen with this team in a very long time but it would appear the coaching staff plans to coach players into being better players. Ya know, teaching. 

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

That's fine but how does signing a 28 year CB to a 1 year deal hurt this foundational rebuild?

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets are building a whole new thing. It’s not a rebuild, it’s foundational. They’re gonna get the kids on the field at CB, LB, WR and see what they have. They’re not in the rush some fans are, they’re trying to do it the right way. In this defense, that means anyone with a pulse.

yep.

I'm not stressing over it but the people on here acting like we shouldn't have signed him are just being homers.  1yr 4mil while we sit on 25 mil in cap and 70+ mil next year? I get the frustration in some 

• Upvote 1

Richard Sherman was a fifth round pick. This defense looks for different traits than traditional press/man CBs, and they drafted a few and want to see what they have in a foundational year. It’s the smart move in a year when you’re not expecting to contend. Develop what you have by getting them on the field, supplement next year when you have a better idea of what you have and where you’re going. 

They legit have no experience at their top 3 corners. You want to experiment with youth at off ball linebacker? Fine. But there is literally nothing there and it’s not like some of these guys went for a ton of money. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt, because they haven’t proved that they can’t develop corners, but I’m very concerned.

14 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Id rather see the youth movement at CB.I was big on Bless Austin he did alright. Add in a legitimate pass rush and the secondary instantly improves. 

This D is all about the DL and not the CBs being left on an island

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

They legit have no experience at their top 3 corners. You want to experiment with youth at off ball linebacker? Fine. But there is literally nothing there and it’s not like some of these guys went for a ton of money. I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt, because they haven’t proved that they can’t develop corners, but I’m very concerned.

Their two starters literally started for us last year. Young yes but it’s not as if we’re relying on street FAs 

• Upvote 2