Cuts around the league...

Beerfish

7 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Do any quality players who can come in and immediately start (as an upgrade) even ever get released during this time of year? 

Its all a question of what you are looking for.  Not likely to find a front line starter at this time of year, but when you have a very weak position group like our TEs, it is possible that a team with little cap room cuts a solid vet if a rookie has stepped up in camp. 

At this point, the question for us is can we find a TE better than Kroft/Brown/Herndon/Griffin.  I have to assume there will be someone available that will upgrade our TE room.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

Do any quality players who can come in and immediately start (as an upgrade) even ever get released during this time of year? 

Everything is relative. Other teams' cast off TEs and Ks might easily be better than our beat ass Ks and TEs. In other words; the bar is low at those spots. 

• Upvote 2

I’d keep a sharp eye on the Cleveland Browns’ cuts. They have 6 TEs in camp and their top 3 are SOLID & VASTLY better than our incumbents at TE.

Austin Hooper, D Njoku, Harrison Bryant, Stephen Carlson, Jordan Franks, Connor Davis (JD signed him last year in Aug and kept him on PS until Browns signed  him away in Nov’20, now he’s 6th string)

what would TB accept as a decent offer for OJ Howard as a rental for his remaining rookie contract?

just trade herndon for borregales and ride or die with kroft, Griffin, Yeboah with Wesco and Fant on deck for emergencies.  Next year we grab a premier TE with one of our 4 top 64 picks. 

This batch probably won't be the group we find anyone of consequence but i'd bet there are a few players JD has his eye on over the next 2 weeks. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

I’d keep a sharp eye on the Cleveland Browns’ cuts. They have 6 TEs in camp and their top 3 are SOLID & VASTLY better than our incumbents at TE.

Austin Hooper, D Njoku, Harrison Bryant, Stephen Carlson, Jordan Franks, Connor Davis (JD signed him last year in Aug and kept him on PS until Browns signed  him away in Nov’20, now he’s 6th string)

what would TB accept as a decent offer for OJ Howard as a rental for his remaining rookie contract?

Njoku would be a major upgrade here. 

So would have Ertz.

But you know we were good said the experts. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

just trade herndon for borregales and ride or die with kroft, Griffin, Yeboah with Wesco and Fant on deck for emergencies.  Next year we grab a premier TE with one of our 4 top 64 picks. 

This batch probably won't be the group we find anyone of consequence but i'd bet there are a few players JD has his eye on over the next 2 weeks. 

Chris Herndon played really good during our final 3 games man.

I'm not ready to quit on this kid until I see how he plays under Mike LaFleur because he was awesome under Bowles as a Rookie until Gase got here. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Njoku would be a major upgrade here. 

So would have Ertz.

But you know we were good said the experts. 

Not sure I buy that 

Jets fans have been mentioning a potential Njoku trade here for the last year and I don’t really understand why.

He’s essentially been Chris Herndon for the last two years.

Some dudes drafted in the 1st round just simply suck…as Jets fans should know better than anybody.

I’m not trading a draft pick for the guy. If he gets cut…well, okay then. No harm in taking a shot.

But I’m not giving up a single asset for him.

Sign a dude like Eifert for a year and then grab someone like Wydermyer, Kolar or Ruckert in April.

• Upvote 3

Just now, joewilly12 said:

I mean, I can grab a Chris Herndon highlight reel that makes him look like Antonio Gates.

Njoku sucks and so does Herndon.

TE is going to be a weakness of the Jets offense this year regardless.

If dudes like Herndon and Kroft can simply block inline at an efficient level, then I’ll take that for a year while we mainly distribute the ball to the wideouts and RB’s on the roster until we can adequately upgrade the position next offseason.

Keep in mind that Fant is a converted college basketball player, who came into the league on a try out as a TE, who had never actually played TE.  He was a very good blocking TE.  So good that the Seahawks quickly converted him to LT.

With Moses on the team I won't be stunned to see Fant taking snaps at TE.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Harrison Bryant out of all the above

12 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yes. As you spend more time watching football, you’ll learn these things.

No need to get "personal" with me it was just a Football question I had man.

Since you know so much @Integrity28 please list your top 10 FA signings from August 16th (and beyond) dating back to 2000 of 21 years ago. 

1.) ____

2.) ____

3.) ____

4.) ____

5.) ____

6.) ____

7.) ____

8.)  ____

9.) ____

10.) ____

It was a good football question I had and one I didn't know the answer to but @Integrity28 since you're such a Football guru I'm pretty sure you'll have no problem filling in the blanks in order to teach me something.

Please don't use "Google" either.

1 hour ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

No need to get "personal" with me it was just a Football question I had man.

Since you know so much @Integrity28 please list your top 10 FA signings from August 16th (and beyond) dating back to 2000 of 21 years ago. 

1.) ____

2.) ____

3.) ____

4.) ____

5.) ____

6.) ____

7.) ____

8.)  ____

9.) ____

10.) ____

It was a good football question I had and one I didn't know the answer to but @Integrity28 since you're such a Football guru I'm pretty sure you'll have no problem filling in the blanks in order to teach me something.

Please don't use "Google" either.

That wasn’t personal. It was a joke.

You aren’t ready for the education I’d give you.

20 minutes ago, Defense Wins Championships said:

I just can't recall too many teams landing impactful starters after mid August cuts (that I can think of). 

You are not looking for immediate impact starters but you are looking to upgrade the bottom of your roster and maybe the guy turns into something. 

Darren Waller was with Baltimore got waived at some point, the Raiders picked him up made him into a TE and the rest is history.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

Another thread going swimmingly.  I would expect some Will Tye level pickup(s) at TE.  FWIW, I think that Kendall was signed the 1st week of August.  Probably cut because of his union activity, but I don't remember so well right now.  They got Sefarian-Jenkins in September, but he had to get arrested first.  I don't feel it is as dire as some, but I expect some bodies to be moved around at the bottom of the roster. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Another thread going swimmingly.  I would expect some Will Tye level pickup(s) at TE.  FWIW, I think that Kendall was signed the 1st week of August.  Probably cut because of his union activity, but I don't remember so well right now.  They got Sefarian-Jenkins in , but he had to get arrested first.  I don't feel it is as dire as some, but I expect some bodies to be moved around at the bottom of the roster. 

The board has become insufferable.

No humor. Every thread becomes a tragic exposition, even when you try to help people get out of their own way.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1