Texans Shopping Shaq Lawson

Texans pass rusher Shaq Lawson and defensive back Lonnie Johnson are being “heavily discussed in league circles as trade candidates,” according to ESPN.com’s Jeremy Fowler (Twitter link). Both players have started in the past, but neither is currently projected to be first-string for the Texans.

No idea if this is a system fit or how effective he was last year but any chance this is a fit? I don’t think it would cost much to bring him in. 

5 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

“For his career, Sack-a-Shaq has 20.5 sacks across five pro seasons. For now, the Texans have him under club control for another two seasons, thanks to the three-year, $30MM he inked with the ‘Fins last spring.”

If you could get him for a mid to late round draft choice he would be an improvement.  We have the cap space.

• Upvote 1

Nasirildeen and Sherwood both weigh about 215 lbs.  

Lawson weighs 260 lbs.

My point?  I don't think we can succeed with two skinny OLBs starting (and let's not assume Cashman will stay healthy for now).

I'd absolutely bring him in for even a 4th rounder.  I'm pretty sure he'd be starting from the minute he walked in, which is more than you can say about a lot of our recent 4th round picks.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Lawson weighs 260 lbs.

My point?  I don't think we can succeed with two skinny OLBs starting (and let's not assume Cashman will stay healthy for now).

I'd absolutely bring him in for even a 4th rounder.  I'm pretty sure he'd be starting from the minute he walked in, which is more than you can say about a lot of our recent 4th round picks.

I would assume that Blake Cashman will NOT stay healthy because, after three years, he hasn't ever.

I think they wait until all the other options--camp cuts--are explored.

3 hours ago, docdhc said:

If you could get him for a mid to late round draft choice he would be an improvement.  We have the cap space.

Would he? He was a bust until the Bills declined his 5th year option then he had about 8 game run where he was good. The Dolphins picked him based on that he had 'turned the corner', but he was... disappointing in Miami especially at the money they gave him. For whatever reason, Houston seems dedicated to ensuring the Miami Dolphins have a solid roster and took Lawson from them...now the talk is he may actually be cut if they can't trade him.

I haven't seen him this offseason, but that doesn't sound promising. It doesn't sound like a guy that deserves a roster spot even with Lawson out. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Would he? He was a bust until the Bills declined his 5th year option then he had about 8 game run where he was good. The Dolphins picked him based on that he had 'turned the corner', but he was... disappointing in Miami especially at the money they gave him. For whatever reason, Houston seems dedicated to ensuring the Miami Dolphins have a solid roster and took Lawson from them...now the talk is he may actually be cut if they can't trade him.

I haven't seen him this offseason, but that doesn't sound promising. It doesn't sound like a guy that deserves a roster spot even with Lawson out. 

Our two starting OLBs right now weigh about as much as a single Ted Washington.  That appeared to be a problem last night.  I think JD drafted them hoping one would pan out, never thinking he'd be faced with starting both.  We need something there and so far, Lawson appears to be the guy who fits the role best that's also available.  What's the harm in a mid-late round pick?

Sign me up.

(I'd give up both 4th round picks for him too). 

Throughout the previous two season(s) combined...

image.thumb.png.28affc2d21dd98f25e282214b8a28ece.png

Shaq Lawson:

1,055 Defensive Snaps.  

64 Tackles.

10.5 Sacks.

17 Tackles for loss.

18 QB Hurries. 

24 QB Knockdowns. 

36 QB hits. 

53 QB pressures. 

141.5 QB Sacks/Hurries/Knockdowns/Hits/Pressures (combined).

Vs. 

image.thumb.png.bbc4951e5ddcb67c667c3bb26231ed5b.png

Carl Lawson

1,180 Defensive Snaps. 

59 Tackles. 

10.5 QB Sacks. 

10 Tackles for loss. 

15 QB hurries.  

41 QB Knockdowns. 

54 QB hits. 

67 QB pressures.  

187.5 QB Sacks/Hurries/Knockdowns/Hits/Pressures (combined).

(YouTube won't enable the video but it's worth a watch because this dude is a BEAST and also much better against the run than Carl is).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Lawson weighs 260 lbs.

They weigh in the 220s as per Saleh

On 8/28/2021 at 11:33 AM, nycdan said:

Lawson weighs 260 lbs.

The LBers in this scheme need to be slender and quick. This is not a 3-4 defense. They need to be able to cover in space and  run sideline to sideline. The scheme matters. 260 lbs is way too big to play LB in this defense.  Arguably the best LB in the league,  Fred Warner,  who plays in a similar defense is 225 lbs. 

• Upvote 1