Who would be your first pick at WR?

UntouchableCrew

Who would be your first WR off the board?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who would be your first WR off the board?

• Jameson Williams, Alabama
    • Garrett Wilson, Ohio State
    • Drake London, USC
    • Chris Olave, Ohio State
    • Treylon Burks, Arkansas
    • Other

Here's an interesting question, 

Assuming it's a torn ACL for Williams (sure looked like it),

Do you take him with the pick in the 2nd rd?  He's almost assured to miss most of the season.  If I'm not mistaken, Douglas was around when Philly did this with Sydney Jones, albeit he didn't really work out (and I think it was an achilleas injury).  We sort of saw this with Bryce Hall, but do you take that shot with the 2nd rd pick?  Or do you wait longer? 

11 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I don't know if I buy the idea that this staff likes Becton that much, after the weight issues this year.  I'd rather play it safe for the OL and have Becton/Neal/Fant.  If Becton/Neal work out, let Fant walk, if they don't, then Fant can come in.  

I do think they will go after a RG in FA, but I'm not sure I like the idea of McGovern.  His stats look good, but I keep hearing about a bunch of lineman for other teams, where the C is calling out protections and such, and we don't seem to have that.  

I'd personally overload on the OL, protect against injury, and go from there, but I'm also a sucker for OL/WR 

I don’t think they like Becton that much either but after his rookie year and with Fant locked into a tackle spot I don’t think you draft a tackle in the top ten and force either the rookie or Becton to the bench. Something like day two, legit competition/insurance policy? Sure. I don’t think they punt the position but there’s a nontrivial chance Becton plays and it’s not like they rotate guys on the OL. Depth is important I just don’t think round one is the place for it when you’d have one of those tackles not play - unless they go into the draft without signing a legitimate guard in which case everything is on the table.

I also can understand wanting an upgrade over McGovern but I can’t see them replacing him especially after he played well. Feel like they’re going to let him play out his contract 

Just thinking about what they seem likely to do instead of what feels comfortable I still think day two tackle and day three center are most likely.

But Douglas has also talked about building the trenches so who knows. Like I said if they don’t sign the RG in FA than anything is on the table. Ekwonu/Neal as RG and long term tackle insurance, Linderbaum at 10 and kick McGovern to RG, Kenyon Green at 10 maybe, Zion Johnson or maybe Kinnard round two…

I think Williams kind of becomes a luxury pick even at the top of the second round. It's something I guess they could do if they signed a legitimate free agent wide receiver (Mike Williams?). Jameson Williams is a redshirt, you roll out Mike Williams-Moore-Davis for a year, then bring Jameson Williams along for a year, and then Davis expires and your group is Moore-Mike Williams-Jameson Williams and you've got an interesting blend of traits. I'm not sure LA lets Mike Williams go but I guess that's an avenue they could take. I'd be kind of surprised - I think making a luxury pick like that depends how much they like him as a prospect and how hard they hit FA. I still think Burks is the best fit.

As for Doubs I don't get Deebo vibes but I did think he was an interesting mid round guy and could fit as a depth piece they'd try to develop. Guess that partially depends on whether or not he'd play specials but I thought he did something. Could be thinking of someone else.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, derp said:

I don’t think they like Becton that much either but after his rookie year and with Fant locked into a tackle spot I don’t think you draft a tackle in the top ten and force either the rookie or Becton to the bench. Something like day two, legit competition/insurance policy? Sure. I don’t think they punt the position but there’s a nontrivial chance Becton plays and it’s not like they rotate guys on the OL. Depth is important I just don’t think round one is the place for it when you’d have one of those tackles not play - unless they go into the draft without signing a legitimate guard in which case everything is on the table.

I also can understand wanting an upgrade over McGovern but I can’t see them replacing him especially after he played well. Feel like they’re going to let him play out his contract 

Just thinking about what they seem likely to do instead of what feels comfortable I still think day two tackle and day three center are most likely.

But Douglas has also talked about building the trenches so who knows. Like I said if they don’t sign the RG in FA than anything is on the table. Ekwonu/Neal as RG and long term tackle insurance, Linderbaum at 10 and kick McGovern to RG, Kenyon Green at 10 maybe, Zion Johnson or maybe Kinnard round two…

Yeah, I think I need to see FA to get an idea of what we're going to be looking at with the draft.  There's a few guys that should be cut to make some space:

Van Roten saves 3.5 mil, Griffin saves 3 mil.  It'll be interesting to see how they allocate those resources to fill in some gaps.  Need linebackers pretty badly too.  

4 hours ago, derp said:

I think Williams kind of becomes a luxury pick even at the top of the second round. It's something I guess they could do if they signed a legitimate free agent wide receiver (Mike Williams?). Jameson Williams is a redshirt, you roll out Mike Williams-Moore-Davis for a year, then bring Jameson Williams along for a year, and then Davis expires and your group is Moore-Mike Williams-Jameson Williams and you've got an interesting blend of traits. I'm not sure LA lets Mike Williams go but I guess that's an avenue they could take. I'd be kind of surprised - I think making a luxury pick like that depends how much they like him as a prospect and how hard they hit FA. I still think Burks is the best fit.

As for Doubs I don't get Deebo vibes but I did think he was an interesting mid round guy and could fit as a depth piece they'd try to develop. Guess that partially depends on whether or not he'd play specials but I thought he did something. Could be thinking of someone else.

I think Williams will be interesting, especially if they sign someone like you mentioned.  I could definitely see FA/Davis/Moore/Berrios and then I guess tryout for Mims?  They would need to sign a TE or two though. 

I think there is a chance they might try to trade for a WR as well, like Ridley.  I really wanted Godwin, but with his injuries, I'm not sure if he's leaving anymore.  I hope they are more aggressive in adding a WR this year, in both FA and draft.  Tired of seeing Jeff Smith out there running the wrong routes.

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Interesting stats from Nania. London’s highlight reels are all contested catches but his total production shows a more complete receiver.

Very interesting. Wonder if there’s a way to parse yards from those stats or if that matters. Screens would help deflate that number, feel like Harry got some but not the other top two. Do think London looks like he’s got a good feel for finding soft spots too though.

Jets need receivers/tight ends with GREAT hands. Wilson doesnt throw the most catchable ball (thus far). This team had wayyy too many drops. 

Wilson from ohio state looks interesting. Upside may not be a top 5 WR but a guy who plays a long time, great hands with good production. 

Trey Burks!! I think he’s better for our system  than the prospects from last year! 

im going all in on this. Dude is a YAC monster. Reminds me of Enunwa but without the injury history, better catch radius, maybe 15% less violent of a runner but still a beast (I loved Enunwa). 

this offense is big on YAC. Burks looks like he’s a vertical guy but he just really isn’t - showed so much more at Arkansas 

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

The ultimate goal, find these guys   

At a quick count, 1/4 of those were routes by guys drafted in the first round. 

I can't help but get excited about the idea of an early WR but man you can definitely find guys elsewhere.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

At a quick count, 1/4 of those were routes by guys drafted in the first round. 

I can't help but get excited about the idea of an early WR but man you can definitely find guys elsewhere.

More like 50/50. (I counted lol) tho to be fair take the one play by 1 guy, and yea it’s 1/4 day 2 and beyond. 

Guys most capable of putting tape on like that in the NFL - Wilson 1st for sure. London and Dotson next. Pickens bringing up the rear. 

31 minutes ago, Paradis said:

More like 50/50. (I counted lol) tho to be fair take the one play by 1 guy, and yea it’s 1/4 day 2 and beyond. 

Guys most capable of putting tape on like that in the NFL - Wilson 1st for sure. London and Dotson next. Pickens bringing up the rear. 

I counted too haha. Six routes by guys taken in the first round, eighteen routes by guys outside the first round. Always try to choose my words carefully lol. Though I think each first round pick only popped up once (Beckham/Smith/Chase/Jefferson/Cooper/Hopkins) and there was a lot of multiple routes from the other guys - Renfrow/Adams/Kupp/Johnson/Diggs.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I remember pre-draft folks saying Renfro was not an NFL player.

I’ve met Hunter and if you were to guess what profession he is, NFL WR would be literally the last thing you would have guessed.  To be honest, I really didn’t think he would be having this kind of success.  He can just play football. 

Just now, sec101row23 said:

I’ve met Hunter and if you were to guess what profession he is, NFL WR would be literally the last thing you would have guessed.  To be honest, I really didn’t think he would be having this kind of success.  He can just play football. 

Didn't security stop him on the way into one of the NCAA Champ games? Maybe it was an NFL stadium.

So I’ve been digging into the wrs a bit more and I’ve heard multiple times that Garret Wilson’s pro comp is Calvin Ridley. After watching more of him I’m starting to get on board with this. They play very similar and are both good in space, route running, getting open. What do you guys think?   Maybe draft Wilson instead of trading for Ridley?

• 1 month later...

I've seen more and more consolidation on Drake London as a possible pick for us at #10.

This just showed up from walterfootball.  He might not even make it to #10 if true.  

USC_logo.gif Drake London, WR, USC
WalterFootball.com reported at the Senior Bowl that the Jets, who have two top-10 picks, were high on London. Sources from other NFL teams that also have top-10 selection are high on London as well, with some thinking London could be a Mike Evans-caliber receiver as a pro. London's tape has invigorated this rise in draft stock, and how far he rises could get even higher once the coaching staffs get involved in the draft process. London has a lot of admirers across various NFL teams, so he could easily end up as a top-10 pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

9 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I've seen more and more consolidation on Drake London as a possible pick for us at #10.

This just showed up from walterfootball.  He might not even make it to #10 if true.  

USC_logo.gif Drake London, WR, USC
WalterFootball.com reported at the Senior Bowl that the Jets, who have two top-10 picks, were high on London. Sources from other NFL teams that also have top-10 selection are high on London as well, with some thinking London could be a Mike Evans-caliber receiver as a pro. London's tape has invigorated this rise in draft stock, and how far he rises could get even higher once the coaching staffs get involved in the draft process. London has a lot of admirers across various NFL teams, so he could easily end up as a top-10 pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

well if thats the case then they better take him at 4. 

im sick of hearing how only certain players can be taken at 4. if they really like this guy then pick him before someone else does.

Are people convinced that all of Wilson, London and Burks could be legitimate WR1's?  I kinda feel like Wilson is the only one who jumps off the screen as clearly have WR1 talent.  London and Burks look great, bigger physical guys, etc. but just don't seem like that potential elite WR1 you'd expect to get if you're using the #10 overall pick.  Each could be a really good compliment to a smaller, faster guy like Elijah Moore but are they potential WR1s?

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Are people convinced that all of Wilson, London and Burks could be legitimate WR1's?  I kinda feel like Wilson is the only one who jumps off the screen as clearly have WR1 talent.  London and Burks look great, bigger physical guys, etc. but just don't seem like that potential elite WR1 you'd expect to get if you're using the #10 overall pick.  Each could be a really good compliment to a smaller, faster guy like Elijah Moore but are they potential WR1s?

Nobody 'knows' anything of course.  But if you take the characterization of London as being a Mike Evans type guy, and you believe he can match that expectation, then I have no trouble taking him at #4 because Evans is definitely my definition of WR1.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It’s a pick your flavor thing.

Wilson’s the most refined and fits what’s been winning in the NFL lately but he’s the smallest and has a confusing production profile because there’s so much competition for touches at OSU. That means he was the only one do the three who wasn’t in the “offense goes through me” type role which is a little scary when that’s kind of what you want when you draft a guy that high - but not a dealbreaker (see Justin Jefferson). I’m not sure any of the OSU guys is Chase and Wilson never produced like Jefferson. Safest bet to be good but the ceiling is harder to peg.

Burks is probably the fastest, definitely the heaviest, and has the best production profile but he’s probably the least technically refined. In a passing heavy league after RB’s started getting used heavily in the passing game I think teams are seeing the value of using WR’s on underneath stuff as a different kind of extension of a run game and Burks could thrive in that role early.

London has the height/ball skills to be dangerous, a natural feel for the position, and he’s angry after the catch, but he’s the slowest, has questions about separation ability, and is new to committing to the sport which is good and bad.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

No. I don’t feel there is a Chase in this group. Before the injury I was pretty sold on Williams, but after it made me look at the other guys more closely.

I do like London the best for Wilson. HUGE catch radius, excellent red zone target. I feel he will bail Wilson out a lot. And personally, I don’t really see the upside of Williams and Wilson being that much better than Elijah Moore. 

• 3 weeks later...

Greg Cosell's analysis on this year's class. His top 3 are Trey Burks, Garrett Wilson and Jameson Williams. Also says that Pickens is one of most intriguing prospects in the draft and says he could argue that he's a much better prospect than Drake London.