Anyone live in or near Asheville NC

CSNY

16 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I always thought that was Crosby Stills Nash Young?????

Yes it most certainly is. My favorite band and only 4 letters so it’s easy to remember as the 70’s and 80’s were mostly a very smoke filled foggy haze ?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

This. I live in Raleigh and go there often and ya. Not sure about jets bars though . I own two bars in the area and will be happy to point you in the right direction. 

A match made in heaven!

7 hours ago, Jerichoholic said:

I own 2 bars in the area.

Moon Nasa GIF

2 Jets fans, 2 bars As Morpheus said “It’s Providence” Just have the balls to take the leap of faith and plant that Jets flag

Jumping Martial Arts GIF by HBO Max

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, the Claw said:

I live there currently (well, Candler- on the West side) and have for a few years. This is not a sports town, so forget Jets bars. 

Honestly, Asheville is overrated. It’s very expensive without any of the benefits of living in an expensive place. People here are laaaaazy like I’ve never seen. Food is mediocre at best, beer is mostly good but there’s too many damn breweries causing tons of drink driving. The people suck for the most part— either sh*tty rich yuppies or sh*tty Christian hypocrites. This town has long been a hippy mountain town but it’s not really even that anymore since it’s been commercialized so much. Even the music scene is bland. If you can avoid people, Asheville can be great. I try to avoid people as much as I can and I make it work, but then again I don’t get along with most people. 

It’s beautiful in the spring and fall, but summer and and winter kind of suck. It rains all the time in summer (it’s a rain forest), and it’s very grey in winter although the weather in the winter is fairly mild. If you like to do anything outdoors, this is an awesome place to be, but you will pay for it out the ass and most of the time it ain’t worth it.

I would advise looking in the surrounding areas outside of the City of Asheville. Real estate is going berserk here so I expect your dollar doesn’t go very far. 

Feel free to PM me if you have anything specific you’d like to know. 

Thank you Claw. I did some very brief research based on Cotchery and SouthParkcpa thru some you tube videos before I went to bed on Hendersonville, Weaverville and Candler last night and they all look like very nice alternatives which seem to be a bit off the beaten path but not that far away from a larger city. My only concern in moving to these kinda rural areas is that my wife and I do want a neighborhood where you can talk to our neighbors and not be 50 yards between house. We like that sense of a neighborhood camaraderie since she was born and bred in the Bronx and I from Queens. I feel That will be our biggest adjustment ( that and not having all the different Italian and German delis around where we get our cheeses and cakes) and don’t want to totally lose that 

Although my daughter and her fiancé are in the craft beer industry I can’t drink the stuff as it gives me heartburn immediately so that is not a big concern of mine. Just want a nice bar to be able to go and enjoy a Grey Goose Orange on the rocks or a ice cold Budweiser on a hot summer days while watching a ballgame 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Not on point but the first concert I ever went to was CSN&Y. 

As was mine in 1974 @ Nassau Coliseum I was 15 at the time and my daughters first show as well in 1999 @ Madison Square Garden she was 7  Then 2 months after seeing CSNY  with my child I had the extreme misfortune of taking her and three of her friends to Brittany Spears. My head still hurts remembering all the high pitched screeching at that show 

8 hours ago, the Claw said:

I live there currently (well, Candler- on the West side) and have for a few years. This is not a sports town, so forget Jets bars. 

Honestly, Asheville is overrated. It’s very expensive without any of the benefits of living in an expensive place. People here are laaaaazy like I’ve never seen. Food is mediocre at best, beer is mostly good but there’s too many damn breweries causing tons of drink driving. The people suck for the most part— either sh*tty rich yuppies or sh*tty Christian hypocrites. This town has long been a hippy mountain town but it’s not really even that anymore since it’s been commercialized so much. Even the music scene is bland. If you can avoid people, Asheville can be great. I try to avoid people as much as I can and I make it work, but then again I don’t get along with most people. 

It’s beautiful in the spring and fall, but summer and and winter kind of suck. It rains all the time in summer (it’s a rain forest), and it’s very grey in winter although the weather in the winter is fairly mild. If you like to do anything outdoors, this is an awesome place to be, but you will pay for it out the ass and most of the time it ain’t worth it.

I would advise looking in the surrounding areas outside of the City of Asheville. Real estate is going berserk here so I expect your dollar doesn’t go very far. 

Feel free to PM me if you have anything specific you’d like to know. 

My assistant, with me 12 years, is becoming a CPA and wants to move back to Asheville.  She is from your town. I Cant wait to show her what you wrote.  I actually believe it.  Agree on music. OVER FUKKING rated.  Even Biltmore village is BS.  Great write up.  I LOVE living in Charlotte.  

15 minutes ago, jayrad01 said:

Check out Waynesville and Brevard both are close by to Asheville. We have been going there for years from FL and have been eyeing a move there for a while now. Brevard is my favorite up that way. Good Luck.

Thank you Jay for suggestions will check them out as well. 

15 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Always loved Asheville.  Anyone who thinks it just became woke though (just like Portland) probably wasn’t paying attention previously.  Its always been like that.  

Assuming you're talking to me, but again how would I know I'm not from NC, said I moved here. I've also been told it's very beautiful there, which probably would remind me of going to Vermont to ski in my 20's.

11 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Thank you Jay for suggestions will check them out as well. 

Just a thought, and not sure you'd want to do this, but SC doesn't seem to far from Asheville, and tax wise it cheaper to retire there than NC. I'm actually considering SC myself once my wife retires soon.

9 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Just a thought, and not sure you'd want to do this, but SC doesn't seem to far from Asheville, and tax wise it cheaper to retire there than NC. I'm actually considering SC myself once my wife retires soon.

Thank you 68Jet but that’s pretty much off the table as the only reason we have decided to move is to be close to our daughter who is an only child. We want to be close by so when we are hopefully blessed with grandchildren we can see them frequently and not be so far away. That and my wife and daughter are exceptionally close and need to be near each other but thank you for the suggestion. It is appreciated ?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NYJets43 said:

I knew a guy who moved down there from Connecticut and loves it. Seems like a lot of northeast folks are finding peace in the Bible Belt. 

My daughter's at Wake Forest, so we've spent a good deal of time in Winston-Salem and the surrounding area. Stayed in Ashville a couple of times for extended trips. It's a nice town. Woke, yeah, but short of wearing a mask, it has literally no impact on me personally. I think the biggest challenge I've seen for the few older folks I know who've moved to the area from the Northeast is that it's very hard to break the social bubble and as much as someone may think they're conservative in Massachusetts or NY, the South is a different animal. It's going to be a culture shift. Both couples I know who moved to North Carolina -- one to Lake Norman area and one to Ashville both moved back to the Northeast after a couple of years (and those are both anomalies compared to places like Greenville or Greensboro). Not saying that's anything like the norm, but a cautionary tale. And they were not liberals by NY standards at all. It's about the social connection. 

I hope it all works out for you and your wife. The very fact that you're asking for input is a great start to your new adventure.

• Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

My daughter's at Wake Forest, so we've spent a good deal of time in Winston-Salem and the surrounding area. Stayed in Ashville a couple of times for extended trips. It's a nice town. Woke, yeah, but short of wearing a mask, it has literally no impact on me personally. I think the biggest challenge I've seen for the few older folks I know who've moved to the area from the Northeast is that it's very hard to break the social bubble and as much as someone may think they're conservative in Massachusetts or NY, the South is a different animal. It's going to be a culture shift. Both couples I know who moved to North Carolina -- one to Lake Norman area and one to Ashville both moved back to the Northeast after a couple of years (and those are both anomalies compared to places like Greenville or Greensboro). Not saying that's anything like the norm, but a cautionary tale. And they were not liberals by NY standards at all. It's about the social connection. 

I hope it all works out for you and your wife. The very fact that you're asking for input is a great start to your new adventure.

Thank you Lep for the information and well wishes and continued success for your daughter at Wake Forest 

I am quite sure it will be a culture shock as we lean to a more Democratic point of view but as a rule we don’t discuss politics or religion. Just waaaay too much hypocrisy and bull shot in those types of discussions. @Long Island Leprechaun

• Upvote 1

We stopped in Asheville and spent a day there a few years back. It is kind of a hipster city lots of art and culture the downtown is very cool enjoyed our short stay there.  Good restaurants and bars a great location. I doubt any Jets bars but sure you can find Jets fans there to maybe hang out with. 

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

Assuming you're talking to me, but again how would I know I'm not from NC, said I moved here. I've also been told it's very beautiful there, which probably would remind me of going to Vermont to ski in my 20's.

I wasn’t responding to any one person.  Similar comments were made by numerous people.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Thank you Lep for the information and well wishes and continued success for your daughter at Wake Forest 

I am quite sure it will be a culture shock as we lean to a more Democratic point of view but as a rule we don’t discuss politics or religion. Just waaaay too much hypocrisy and bull shot in those types of discussions. @Long Island Leprechaun

I remember when simply driving with NY plates would get you pulled over in Georgia. I think you're likely to find more of your people in the Ashville area than outlying regions, but who knows? NYers who buy houses in the Berkshires or Maine are viewed with suspicion, if not loathing, much like Californians in Idaho or Wyoming (Whyoming?). Most labels have a seed of truth with a vast amount of distortion, but that's where were at. Give it time and tolerance and you'll be fine. And your daughter will be thrilled to have you so near.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I always thought that was Crosby Stills Nash Young?????

4 hours ago, CSNY said:

Yes it most certainly is. My favorite band and only 4 letters so it’s easy to remember as the 70’s and 80’s were mostly a very smoke filled foggy haze ?

Well now that @southparkcpa has put the truth out there I have no choice but to reduce the exit tax by 50% lol.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

We stopped in Asheville and spent a day there a few years back. It is kind of a hipster city lots of art and culture the downtown is very cool enjoyed our short stay there.  Good restaurants and bars a great location. I doubt any Jets bars but sure you can find Jets fans there to maybe hang out with. 

Thank you @Rangers9?

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

Thank you Claw. I did some very brief research based on Cotchery and SouthParkcpa thru some you tube videos before I went to bed on Hendersonville, Weaverville and Candler last night and they all look like very nice alternatives which seem to be a bit off the beaten path but not that far away from a larger city. My only concern in moving to these kinda rural areas is that my wife and I do want a neighborhood where you can talk to our neighbors and not be 50 yards between house. We like that sense of a neighborhood camaraderie since she was born and bred in the Bronx and I from Queens. I feel That will be our biggest adjustment ( that and not having all the different Italian and German delis around where we get our cheeses and cakes) and don’t want to totally lose that 

Although my daughter and her fiancé are in the craft beer industry I can’t drink the stuff as it gives me heartburn immediately so that is not a big concern of mine. Just want a nice bar to be able to go and enjoy a Grey Goose Orange on the rocks or a ice cold Budweiser on a hot summer days while watching a ballgame 

You would probably be better off in a place like Hendersonville, maybe Weaverville or Black Mountain. There’s more of a self-contained feel to those places although I wouldn’t hold my breath for a deli. They just don’t really do deli’s in the south. There might be a couple good ones in this whole area and you’re gonna have to drive to it. Neighborhoods are interesting here. The terrain makes the standard “northern” neighborhood thing fairly uncommon. I swear that babies with bulldozers built this area. Sometimes you find houses in other people’s backyards and down windy roads with junkie trailers. It is nothing like what you’re used to. You’ll definitely find places in closer neighborhoods but they’re not as common and they’re more expensive. I have a great realtor if you need one.

there are lots of bars to watch sports, less than you would think, but still plenty. Let’s stay in touch and I’ll meet you for a few beers next fall.

i really hope you’re able to find what you want down here and that I just haven’t found out all the amazing stuff this area has to offer. I’m an uber-Liberal who enjoys the outdoors and I tend to think moving here was a mistake, but at least I’ll make money on my house when I decide to move again in five years.

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

My assistant, with me 12 years, is becoming a CPA and wants to move back to Asheville.  She is from your town. I Cant wait to show her what you wrote.  I actually believe it.  Agree on music. OVER FUKKING rated.  Even Biltmore village is BS.  Great write up.  I LOVE living in Charlotte.  

Charlotte is interesting. I haven’t spent much time there outside of the Carolina game this year. I miss a larger city and all the stuff that comes with it.

3 hours ago, CSNY said:

As was mine in 1974 @ Nassau Coliseum I was 15 at the time and my daughters first show as well in 1999 @ Madison Square Garden she was 7  Then 2 months after seeing CSNY  with my child I had the extreme misfortune of taking her and three of her friends to Brittany Spears. My head still hurts remembering all the high pitched screeching at that show 

I misremembered. Now that I recall it was just CSN but ALSO at the Nassau Coliseum in 1976 or 1977.  Never appreciated how great they were until I was in my 40s (when I met Neil a bunch of times when we were financing the bankruptcy of Lionel Trains and he was the owner, very cool dude but had no use for lawyers) and now I play them back to back to back. My favorite sing, has special meaning.