Report: Jets working to bring back Joe Flacco

Bronx

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, and just about every Bears article discusses him getting cut to save cap space because having a marginally better backup QB vs what can be had in the open market is not worth it. 

Do you care about winning games in 2022?  Is winning games your top priority?  If not, what is your top priority in 2022?

1 minute ago, Hal N of Provo said:

It would be better to spend on a QB2 than not spending the money....

Exactly. 

Folks acting like we're gonna spend to the cap are living in a fantasy, we never spend to the cap.

"Use of assets" will not be the problem.  The Jets choosing not to utilize their available assets is far more likely the issue if history is a guide.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Sure pay the backup QB what you could pay to a WR1.   Seems like a great use of resources.  

It would be better to spend on a QB2 than not spending the money, which is what will probably happen.  

Problem is they will do neither of those things. Your #1ish receivers are already on the roster. Davis/Moore (when not hurt). We will likely really bolster the line so Zach can take an extra step backwards before getting sacked because nobody will be open again. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Ultimately if Zach doesn’t take a major step forward this year the Jets will have to seriously consider bringing in some legit competition for him in 2023.   You can’t allow this roster to flounder and not develop because the QB isn’t getting it done.   This coaching staff needs to step up as well, the excuses from last year won’t fly this year.  Time to start winning some games, plain and simple.  

That’s the normal path.  

He needs to do better his second season, or you sign real competition.  Get some weapons this year though.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Problem is they will do neither of those things. Your #1ish receivers are already on the roster. Davis/Moore (when not hurt). We will likely really bolster the line so Zach can take an extra step backwards before getting sacked because nobody will be open again. 

Yeah that seems like a familiar plan on failing franchises.  

i still hope a WR1 is coming in.   Doesn’t sound like Allen Robinson is coming in.  Cooper or an expensive trade are all that are left.  So probably nothing :( 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

There are actually people who believe that Zach Wilson's success hinges on whether or not he believes that the back-up QB can take his job. 

Bills signed Trubisky last year because of major concerns with Josh Allen. Give me a break.

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

There are actually people who believe that Zach Wilson's success hinges on whether or not he believes that the back-up QB can take his job. 

There are people who believe a core tenant of sports is competition, and that competition brings out the best in players.

There are also people who believe the priority of the team should be winning games.  Not giving up entire seasons for "development".

Then there are people for whom almost everything is about protecting Zach Wilson.  From criticism.  From competition.  From expectations.  

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Jets:  Sign experienced backup QB capable of winning games in a pinch.

Just FYI, Joe Flacco is 0-5 as a starter as the Jets Backup QB.

2-10 as a starter the past three seasons. 

6-16 overall since his career as a full-time starter ended.

He can't win games "in a pinch" anymore.  

4 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

That’s the normal path.  

He needs to do better his second season, or you sign real competition.  Get some weapons this year though.  

I’m sure there will some more playmakers added.  Also, Moore and Davis need to stay healthy this year.   Moore missed 6 games and 3 of the games he played in he had 1 or fewer receptions.   

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Just FYI, Joe Flacco is 0-5 as a starter as the Jets Backup QB.

2-10 as a starter the past three seasons. 

6-16 overall since his career as a full-time starter ended.

He can't win games "in a pinch" anymore.  

He had the best game of any backup QB on the roster last year.  

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

He had the best game of any backup QB on the roster last year.  

And lost.  

And Mike White vs. Bengals was the best game by a backup last year.

Flacco is a old past-his-time check-casher at this point.  He doesn't care if we win or lose as long as he gets paid.  

If you're ok with that, that's your right. 

I'd prefer someone a little more hungry/motivated/with a future.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Zach Wilson is not Mahomes, Burrow or Herbert.  Not even close, as yet.

Wilson isn't even Tim Couch yet.

Because I don't have faith in Zach Wilson's 17-game durability, meaning the backup QB is likely going to play.

My priority is winning games.  Not "protecting Zach from competition or pressure".  

I'm all in on supporting Zach, more than most of you (many of you are all about drafting Defense, for example, while I want to draft Offense and especially skill players on O).  Max support asap is likely the only way Zach doesn't end up a bust.

But #2 QB is still important until the #1 shows he is durable, and top 15 in production.  Zach hasn't proven either of those as yet.

So because our QB is still an unproven commodity, we should get another unproven commodity to fill in when the 1st gets injured? Wut?

That's negligence at a minimum and reckless IMO.  I'm all for winning games.  If our baby unproven QB gets hurt, I want someone in who can win some games until he heals.  I don't particularly like Flacco as a vet, but I fully get the concept of bringing in an older vet to back up Zach rather than another unknown.  . 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Bills signed Trubisky last year because of major concerns with Josh Allen. Give me a break.

This is not true, even a little bit. They brought in Trubisky because they wanted to have a chance at winning games if Josh Allen missed a few games. It makes sense for teams on the cusp to bring in competent back up QBs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There are people who believe a core tenant of sports is competition, and that competition brings out the best in players.

There are also people who believe the priority of the team should be winning games.  Not giving up entire seasons for "development".

Then there are people for whom almost everything is about protecting Zach Wilson.  From criticism.  From competition.  From expectations.  

The type of QB who needs to be pushed by his back-up is not going to be a good QB. Remember how Aarron Rodgers was looking over his shoulder at Tim Boyle or Matt Flynn when he was a young QB? Pat Mahomes was really frightened that Chad Henne was going to take his job. The Bengals have Brandon Allen to really motivate Joe Burrow into being the best QB that he can.

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This is not true, even a little bit. They brought in Trubisky because they wanted to have a chance at winning games if Josh Allen missed a few games. It makes sense for teams on the cusp to bring in competent back up QBs. 

EXACTLY!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

So because our QB is still an unproven commodity, we should get another unproven commodity to fill in when the 1st gets injured? Wut?

I'm sure that's exactly what some Redskins fans said about RGIII and Kirk Cousins.  

2 shots at a QB > 1 shot at a QB.

I've said it repeatedly, I don't believe in check-cashing old men backup QB's unless you're literally on the cusp of a Super Bowl with an injury prone #1 QB.

In every other situation, I believe all three QB's should be prospects.  Not all #1 draft picks, of course, but younger hungrier, kids with upside/potential.  

Joe Flacco is a bad QB.  A loser since his career as a starter ended.  He isn't hungry.  He doesn't care. He has nothing to lose.  All he cares about is he gets a check as his time in the NFL winds down.

If our baby unproven QB gets hurt, I want someone in who can win some games until he heals.

As shown, that isn't Joe Flacco.  

4 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Do you know sarcasm? BTW, you are contradicting yourself. 

5 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The type of QB who needs to be pushed by his back-up is not going to be a good QB. Remember how Aarron Rodgers was looking over his shoulder at Tim Boyle or Matt Flynn when he was a young QB? Pat Mahomes was really frightened that Chad Henne was going to take his job. The Bengals have Brandon Allen to really motivate Joe Burrow into being the best QB that he can.

Zach Wilson isn't Aaron Rodgers, Pat Mahomes, Joe Burrow or any other elite QB.

Right now, Zach Wilson isn't even Tim Couch.

Stop giving him the same fawning reverence as the best QB's in the NFL ffs.  He hasn't earned it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Warfish said:

Zach Wilson isn't Aaron Rodgers, Pat Mahomes, Joe Burrow or any other elite QB.

Right now, Zach Wilson isn't even Tim Couch.

Stop giving him the same fawning reverse as the best QB's in the NFL ffs.  He hasn't earned it.

You proved my point. If he isn't them, the team doesn't need a back-up QB, they need a new QB. You either bring in a new QB or try to develop Zach into the type of QB who can win games. Bringing in a better back-up QB solves NOTHING.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You proved my point. If he isn't them, the team doesn't need a back-up QB, they need a new QB. You either bring in a new QB or try to develop Zach into the type of QB who can win games. Bringing in a better back-up QB solves NOTHING.

It's not an either or situation. 

You can develop Zach (which we SHOULD continue to try to do, my doubts notwithstanding) AND have another, lower-cost prospect behind him hungry for his job.

Joe Flacco brings nothing to the table.  He can't win games.  He isn't a coach.  He's just there to cash checks and make our kiddie coaching staff and Wilson feel better because there's an actual adult in the room.

FFS this fanbase really does get what it deserves.....

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm sure that's exactly what some Redskins fans said about RGIII and Kirk Cousins.  

2 shots at a QB > 1 shot at a QB.

I've said it repeatedly, I don't believe in check-cashing old men backup QB's unless you're literally on the cusp of a Super Bowl with an injury prone #1 QB.

In every other situation, I believe all three QB's should be prospects.  Not all #1 draft picks, of course, but younger hungrier, kids with upside/potential.  

Joe Flacco is a bad QB.  A loser since his career as a starter ended.  He isn't hungry.  He doesn't care. He has nothing to lose.  All he cares about is he gets a check as his time in the NFL winds down.

As shown, that isn't Joe Flacco.  

And it isn't a round 4 draft pick either.  To rely on that as your back up is reckless.  Cousins being starter material from rd 4 was all chance.  If Cousins had sucked, as most round 4 QBs do (certainly the ones the Jets draft) , Washington would have had to go get a vet when RgIII kept getting hurt.  Using that rare situation as a basis for your reasoning doesn't really work.  I agree fully on Flacco having zero desire.  But I don't agree with backing up Wilson at this stage with another total unknown.  I'd go for the best vet out there.  There just has to be a little better than Flacco.