Official 2022 Free Agency Thread

4 minutes ago, derp said:

This is the same years/dollars as the Seahawks just gave Will Dissly, and less than $2M a year more than Uzomah got on his most recent contract a year ago. It’s a mid level TE1 contract for a mid level TE1.

The Seahawks front office is a trainwreck. Uzomah is a nice guy and a good player, but he’s just a guy. I’m not knocking the move, I’m just pointing out that the Jets aren’t signing difference makers. They’re loading up on boy scouts. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

57 minutes ago, doitny said:

so either Fant or Becton will sit on the bench? that doesnt make sense to have 3 starting tackles in which one will sit on the bench just because your afraid Becton will get hurt.

Not afraid he'll get hurt.  He is hurt.... often.

Since being drafted in 2020, the Jets have played 33 football games.  Becton has started 14 of them.

And, signing Collins isn't just a hedge on Becton.  George Fant isn't under contract for 2023.  

57 minutes ago, doitny said:

Becton started the last 2 years, there is no reason to think he wont start this year. he is our RT. now if he gets injured then his backup who i expect will be a 3rd or 4th rd pick will have to take over. 

the money for Collins who be better used somewhere else. and we got plenty of places to use it.

To be clear, I'm not arguing that the Jets should sign Collins as much as I'm arguing that the Jets have a relatively near term OT problem.  Moses is gone, Becton is flakey, Fant has one year left.  I'd actually be just as fine if the Jets did something like extend Fant now (when he doesn't have as much leverage as he might after the 2022 season) and drafted an OT in Round 2 or Round 3.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

The Seahawks front office is a trainwreck. Uzomah is a nice guy and a good player, but he’s just a guy. I’m not knocking the move, I’m just pointing out that the Jets aren’t signing difference makers. They’re loading up on boy scouts. 

What superstar TE would you like to sign? 

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Give it a rest and let it pan out. Nobody expected the Bengals to reach the SB last year. Anything can happen in this league. These are team friendly contracts and we should be better next year. If we regress, then there should be drastic changes in the front office. In the meantime, let's rally and welcome these changes. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Again - mid level TE1 signs a mid level TE1 contract. He was basically Tyler Higbee last year on 3/4 the targets and is signed to more or less the same contract as Higbee but in this crazy dollar environment.

If the bar is difference makers…free agents aren’t going to get them there. The best they can do is sign starting caliber players to reasonable contracts, which they did here, and avoid giving Christian Kirk 4/$84M. All you can do in free agency is avoid bad contracts.

Any tight end who would’ve been meaningfully better got franchised. Now the position is a little less of a crater, and Uzomah doesn’t seem like he’s going to Trumaine Johnson or Le’Veon Bell the team.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Just wait until CB JC Jackson gets his deal.

Then we'll be all-in on Sauce Gardner at #4 and a WR (even if it's the second best WR) at #10.

Didn’t we just bet on WR 2 days ago?  Now you see the tea leaves, lol.

It’s been a good day my friend.  I have Sauce and London by the way, dating back over a month ago.  Will be fun for us amateur GMs to see how we do ;).

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Uzomah is not *the* answer at TE. Never really been a productive TE1. He’s there for good vibes. Saleh and Douglas, as predicted, prioritizing scrappy UDFA types over actual talent. 

You are a piece of work just like oatmeal.  Keep pissing on the corn flakes and trolling along.  I'll take what the Jets did over the Jags any day.  UDFA types? Really?  Tomlinson is a Pro Bowl guard.  Berrios is a value at $6 million per as a KR and a3/4 WR.  Uzomah is a solid veteran TE . I think you think it's funny to be constantly critical, but 95% of Jets fans are pleased with today.  Enjoy being perpetually miserable. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, derp said:

Again - mid level TE1 signs a mid level TE1 contract. He was basically Tyler Higbee last year on 3/4 the targets and is signed to more or less the same contract as Higbee.

If the bar is difference makers…free agents aren’t going to get them there. The best they can do is sign starting caliber players to reasonable contracts, which they did here, and avoid giving Christian Kirk 4/$84M. All you can do in free agency is avoid bad contracts.

Any tight end who would’ve been meaningfully better got franchised. Now the position is a little less of a crater, and Uzomah doesn’t seem like he’s going to Trumaine Johnson or Le’Veon Bell the team.

Again, it’s a fine signing. Good for the Jets. He is a guy.