Sauce at 4 confirmed

15 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Edge WR and then well anythign in the draft. Not a popular opinion but with reed and hall, do we even really need a highly drafted CB? I mean i rather add some line depth, another WR, another rusher etc..

"Coverage sacks!" :)

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

lmfao - as I've said in this thread, give me Sauce and Johnson.  I'm not coming off that unless something crazy happens.

I dont love London but given Wilson's passion for yolo 50/50 balls, I see the appeal. 

Sauce and Burks :)

53 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

lol - what?  So you're biggest takeaway from last season came in week 18, when 4 of the 5 starting OL where hurt and the starting WR's were Keelan Cole and Jeff Smith?  lol  What about how the offense was the best in the league when Wilson was hurt?  Do you factor that? 

This is not what I want or would do. It's my prediction of jds behavior. He's going to boost the offense at least once in the first Rd, possibly twice. Because you can win in this league outscoring teams but you'll never win with just defense. Not anymore 

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Sout0266 said:

That was a long time ago, the nfl has changed.  Even Ramsey got torched in the playoffs.  He’s lucky Aaron Donald saved him from being an all time goat on that last play of the ysuper bowl when chase was wide open.   The only thing that matters in today’s nfl are rushing the passer and scoring points in bunches 

Ramsey at his best isnt Revis.  And if you stop the pass rush your WRs have a field day against your mediocre secondary.  We shut down Donald etc and beat the Rams.  

You can go back and forth all day with this.  

58 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

lol - what?  So you're biggest takeaway from last season came in week 18, when 4 of the 5 starting OL where hurt and the starting WR's were Keelan Cole and Jeff Smith?  lol  What about how the offense was the best in the league when Wilson was hurt?  Do you factor that? 

You can't go into the season with Cole and Smith as our starting WRs! We must upgrade that position

17 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

You are 100% correct, and we saw this with Revis. As you point out we need a killer pass rush, as opposed to 1 elite cb. It's as if people are dumb or don't pay attention, and just want a sexy pick on the team even though it isn't a shutdown CB dependent scheme on D.

In fairness, Revis was the best player on the field for the leagues top defense and some of top defenses in the NFL and in Jets history during his heyday .

Theres more than one way to skin a cat but I think we go EDGE if one that the Jets like is there, its more of a need on this team that corner.  

The Jets were heavy on 2 positions.  WR (Hill) and FS (Williams).  
Expect the pick to be Hamilton.  If you aren't pleased with that option, try to make peace with it now.  When it happens you won't be as upset, and if it doesn't, you'll be relieved.
Personally, I'm hoping for a trade back.
I think the one tell from yesterday is JD already has at least one agreed upon trade back option in place right now. He wouldn't be willing to give up this year's 2nds and 3rd unless he had a trade lined up to replace them. JD understands how critically important this draft is for the franchise.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, genot said:

Gardner doesn't improve our crummy run defense as much as a complete d-lineman does. We lost Foley. Rankins has never been strong as a run defender. Drafting Gardner at #4 or #10 would be foolish..

Is he the only player you get to add in this draft?  Just 1 pick and the draft ends?  And you want to spend that one pick on a run defender?  l

IDK, call me crazy but I think you can get Gardner and a run defender at some point.  Just a thought.

3 hours ago, hawk said:

The Jets were heavy on 2 positions.  WR (Hill) and FS (Williams).  

Expect the pick to be Hamilton.  If you aren't pleased with that option, try to make peace with it now.  When it happens you won't be as upset, and if it doesn't, you'll be relieved.

Personally, I'm hoping for a trade back.

Refresh my memory, was the Williams pursuit before or after the Whitehead signing?  I legit dont remember the timeline but they signed 3 safeties this offseason, granted they brought Joyner and Parks back on 1 year deals and maybe I'm trying to convince myself you're wrong but I wonder if they feel that's a priority?   Carter came on strong last year and I know he was a 6th round pick but Nasirildeen is the same dude as Hamilton in terms of being a positionless safety/lb hybrid w/ similar physical traits.  Then you throw in Davis and the emergence of Elijah Riley.   Just not sure they feel it's a huge need, that's why I was curious if Whitehead was before or after the pursuit of Williams. 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

This is not what I want or would do. It's my prediction of jds behavior. He's going to boost the offense at least once in the first Rd, possibly twice. Because you can win in this league outscoring teams but you'll never win with just defense. Not anymore 

I dont doubt he addresses offense in the first 4 picks, maybe twice.  I'd be surprised if he addresses it in the top 10 but I digress, my response was simply challenging your idea that the decision to build the offense was based on what JD saw in week 18.  Even if they went off, they still need to build the offense because they're currently down 2 veteran WR's.  So, I doubt he's that short sighted knowing that 80% of his starting offense was injured in that game and that's not even a exaggeration.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, JiFapono said:

knowing that 80% of his starting offense was injured in that game and that's not even a exaggeration.

Having 80 percent of the offense hurt by week 18 is not an excuse. It's another damning fact about the atrocious offense. the offense does not have enough reliable players. Certainly not enough stars. 

JD could split the difference and do london/JJ. Some kind of wr/edge thing. 

• WTF? 1

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Is he the only player you get to add in this draft?  Just 1 pick and the draft ends?  And you want to spend that one pick on a run defender?  l

IDK, call me crazy but I think you can get Gardner and a run defender at some point.  Just a thought.

Gardner isn't a priority. Dline, WR, Linebacker are greater needs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Cole isn't even on the roster anymore 

The wide out room is actually worse than last year 

We need to add to the WR room but:

Corey Davis can't play much worse this year, Elijah Moore in his 2nd year, and Braxton Berrios becoming an important cog in the offense >>> Corey Davis 2020-2021, rookie Elijah Moore, Jamison Crowder and Keelan Cole

IMO

I do think they need to add, but I don't think they're worse. Especially when you factor in the tight end signings to limit the three receiver sets.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Having 80 percent of the offense hurt by week 18 is not an excuse. It's another damning fact about the atrocious offense. the offense does not have enough reliable players. Certainly not enough stars. 

I mean, it definitely is an excuse for the poor production but yeah, it's an issue everyone was on the shelf but I also wonder how much of that had to do with it being a lost season and forcing yourself to play through injury for no reason isnt logical but yes in general, I agree injuries have seemed to plague the Jets the past decade it seems.

Anywho, I think they take offense in the top 4 picks, just not sure when and it wouldnt be my preference to go London top 10.  

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Refresh my memory, was the Williams pursuit before or after the Whitehead signing?  I legit dont remember the timeline but they signed 3 safeties this offseason, granted they brought Joyner and Parks back on 1 year deals and maybe I'm trying to convince myself you're wrong but I wonder if they feel that's a priority?   Carter came on strong last year and I know he was a 6th round pick but Nasirildeen is the same dude as Hamilton in terms of being a positionless safety/lb hybrid w/ similar physical traits.  Then you throw in Davis and the emergence of Elijah Riley.   Just not sure they feel it's a huge need, that's why I was curious if Whitehead was before or after the pursuit of Williams. 

Whitehead was signed after Williams chose the Ravens. I’d also throw in that Pinnock showed at least some promise at safety last year and now he gets a whole offseason to work on the position.

I agree with what I think your idea is - they’re plenty good enough at safety. One of Joyner, Pinnock, Davis should be fine next to Whitehead and the other two provide good depth, plus Riley and Parks for good measure.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

it wouldnt be my preference to go London top 10.  

it's not really my preference either but theres too much smoke around this Drake London/Jets stuff for there not to be fire. Sauce/Jets feels more like a smoke screen. But if either somehow make it to 10, they could get both. 

48 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

If we take Sauce at 4, we'll still have options at WR and Edge at 10, and in the second round as well. 

The other side is if they don't take a Wide out in top 10, there will be 7 taken in the round and the WR group is picked over

meanwhile there are about 5 CBs in the 30-50 range there's a bumper crop of those guys. 

20 minutes ago, derp said:

Whitehead was signed after Williams chose the Ravens. I’d also throw in that Pinnock showed at least some promise at safety last year and now he gets a whole offseason to work on the position.

I agree with what I think your idea is - they’re plenty good enough at safety. One of Joyner, Pinnock, Davis should be fine next to Whitehead and the other two provide good depth, plus Riley and Parks for good measure.

****, forgot about Pinnock.  Seemed like a natural fit for him.  Really cant see Hamilton as the pick, just cant.

On 3/23/2022 at 1:00 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

Not sure the best way for JD to respond is by trying to build his team to stop the Dolphins. 

Build the Jets.  Don’t react to the Dolphins.

No we must respond. Get this guy. He’s faster than lightning and it would really piss off the Fish fan base. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

****, forgot about Pinnock.  Seemed like a natural fit for him.  Really cant see Hamilton as the pick, just cant.

With the lack of a need at safety I genuinely don’t think they take Hamilton. If they somehow do there’s a non trivial chance it’s as a linebacker. That seems like the kind of goofy ass thing you do day three not in the top ten, but at least there’s a need there and he’s physically in line with the guys they took to play linebacker last year. I’d be unhappy about it regardless of where they play him but that somehow makes more sense.

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Yeah, for a rookie QB sure it is. 

He had problems anyway last year, but a raw rookie throwing to one WR4 type "starter" and one rookie starter on the OL, and everyone else is a backup (if not 3rd/4th string)?

It's totally valid. 

You'd have been more convincing if pointing to games when merely 1/3 of the first team offense was out.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, for a rookie QB sure it is. 

He had problems anyway last year, but a raw rookie throwing to one WR4 type "starter" and one rookie starter on the OL, and everyone else is a backup (if not 3rd/4th string)?

It's totally valid. 

You'd have been more convincing if pointing to games when merely 1/3 of the first team offense was out.

I meant not an excuse for JD to draft defense instead... These are his players getting hurt 

But if we are going to talk about Zach, he's the highest drafted Jets player since Keyshawn. He's also the highest paid player since Sanchez. That 20M bonus they cut to him at 2 overall could be the biggest single check cut in Jets history

they did in fact have a real asset going that day, Zach Wilson. the fact that his supporting cast was injured excuses a loss but doesn't really excuse that level of incompetence. 53 total yards? He's supposed to be elevating those around him.

I get he was a rookie and even that it was a windy day but the point of a franchise QB is to make bums around him look like decent players. Zach Wilson isn't a franchise Qb. At least, he wasn't last year.  

• Thumb Down 1

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I meant not an excuse for JD to draft defense instead... These are his players getting hurt 

But if we are going to talk about Zach, he's the highest drafted Jets player since Keyshawn. He's also the highest paid player since Sanchez. That 20M bonus they cut to him at 2 overall could be the biggest single check cut in Jets history

they did in fact have a real asset going that day, Zach Wilson. the fact that his supporting cast was injured excuses a loss but doesn't really excuse that level of incompetence. 53 total yards? He's supposed to be elevating those around him.

I get he was a rookie and even that it was a windy day but the point of a franchise QB is to make bums around him look like decent players. Zach Wilson isn't a franchise Qb. At least, he wasn't last year.  

So you think they'd go into the season with those 3 WRs and no one else?

I don't know where you get the idea that Wilson is the highest paid Jets player since Sanchez, but as usual you're not even close. 

And nobody makes that many bums look like decent players. Certainly no rookie. If you have even one equivalent example to the contrary I'd love to see it. 

17 hours ago, Maxman said:

I said Sauce was a lock at 4 two weeks ago and I got laughed at.

It is going to happen.  My Grandfather once told me, "The best defense is a good defense".

Thought so myself but JD snags Reed who will be the other starting cb opposite Hall. Or does Reed play the nickel slot position and Sauce still in play at 4????

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

unfortunately it's an excuse when the wr's are out and the running back is out.  very difficult for a qb to perform under those circumstances.  i guess we all wanted to see more from wilson.  it just wasn't in the cards.  this season hopefully will be more positive.