Sauce at 4 confirmed

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I often make mock drafts based on how the team's season ended

the Jets' season ended with 53 net yards offense vs Buffalo at home the worst offensive output in franchise history

all this talk about the defense aside the offense is still DIRE 

they can't draft a Jalen Ramsey type when the offense is still this terrible 

Being too cheap to pay a WR in free agency and being too risk-averse to draft one at 4 aren't mutually exclusive.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Not sure the best way for JD to respond is by trying to build his team to stop the Dolphins. 

Build the Jets.  Don’t react to the Dolphins.

In fairness, we play them twice a year, and they have two top-end WR's our DB's will likely have trouble covering.

All depends on their QB...

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I feel like Sauce will be the pick as well. What do you think JD would do with Hall if he drafts Gardner?

The team plays so much nickel anyway, Hall will still be on the field 70% of the time, and that's before anyone gets injured.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, chirorob said:

The team plays so much nickel anyway, Hall will still be on the field 70% of the time, and that's before anyone gets injured.

You need a minimum of 3x starter-quality CB's in the modern pass-happy NFL, at minimum.  You're 100% correct, Hall would still see plenty of use if we draft a better CB to play ahead of him.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, doitny said:

so the QB will just throw to the WR that Sauce isnt covering. and he will have all day to do it cause we cant rush the passer.

You are 100% correct, and we saw this with Revis. As you point out we need a killer pass rush, as opposed to 1 elite cb. It's as if people are dumb or don't pay attention, and just want a sexy pick on the team even though it isn't a shutdown CB dependent scheme on D.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Rewatch the 2009 AFC title game vs Indy and then tell me how much a shut down corner can be avoided with 3-4 WR sets.  Shut down corners are even less important now than then.  It's a passing league and stopping 1 WR does nothing now.  

Watch the run up to the AFC title game and tell me a shutdown corner doesn’t matter.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

It was 10 degrees with 50 mile an hour wind gusts and our top 4 WRs were on IR as was half our starting OL. The offense needs help but defense was a disaster.

I recall the day in question. none of that is an excuse for 53 net yards

ill say it again: Worst output in franchise history 

think about this franchise and our history. The worst offensive performance in Jets history happened in January of this year 

the defense sucks too but teams win every week with crappy defenses - it's possible to outscore other teams  

no one wins putting 53 offensive yards on the board 

yes all those players were hurt but Zach wasn't. 

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, doitny said:

so the QB will just throw to the WR that Sauce isnt covering. and he will have all day to do it cause we cant rush the passer.

this just confirms that JD knows WR is a top priority and will draft one at 4 or 10

Yes this is what’s missed in the saltiness most of us have(me for sure) in losing out on Hill to the Fins…

The only thing this confirms is that JD knows WR needs to be addressed and is willing to pay a premium to do so….I find that to be great news…esp if you wanted to spend the #10 pick on a WR 

• Upvote 4

Just now, carlito1171 said:

Yes this is what’s missed in the saltiness most of us have(me for sure) in losing out on Hill to the Fins…

The only thing this confirms is that JD knows WR needs to be addressed and is willing to pay a premium to do so….I find that to be great news…esp if you wanted to spend the #10 pick on a WR 

Edge WR and then well anythign in the draft. Not a popular opinion but with reed and hall, do we even really need a highly drafted CB? I mean i rather add some line depth, another WR, another rusher etc..

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Edge WR and then well anythign in the draft. Not a popular opinion but with reed and hall, do we even really need a highly drafted CB? I mean i rather add some line depth, another WR, another rusher etc..

I agree….any Sauce talk now that wasn’t previously had is completely reactionary

You have to score in Today’s NFL….no way around it. Corey Davis can’t be our WR1 going into camp and it’s good news now that we know for sure JD realizes this too 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I recall the day in question. none of that is an excuse for 53 net yards

ill say it again: Worst output in franchise history 

think about this franchise and our history. The worst offensive performance in Jets history happened in January of this year 

the defense sucks too but teams win every week with crappy defenses - it's possible to outscore other teams  

no one wins putting 53 offensive yards on the board 

yes all those players were hurt but Zach wasn't. 

So with approximately 7 out of 11 offensive starters out you expected a rookie QB to carry a team against the # 1 ranked defense in the league? 
Dayum tough crowd 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Not sure the best way for JD to respond is by trying to build his team to stop the Dolphins. 

Build the Jets.  Don’t react to the Dolphins.

Exactly.  Too many fans focus more on other teams than us.  JD has has a great offseason so far and we have 4 top 38 picks 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Watch the run up to the AFC title game and tell me a shutdown corner doesn’t matter.

That was a long time ago, the nfl has changed.  Even Ramsey got torched in the playoffs.  He’s lucky Aaron Donald saved him from being an all time goat on that last play of the ysuper bowl when chase was wide open.   The only thing that matters in today’s nfl are rushing the passer and scoring points in bunches 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sout0266 said:

The only thing that matters in today’s nfl are rushing the passer and scoring points in bunches 

Too take it a step further if you can rush the passer, play good defense and control the game by running the ball with consistency you won’t have to score points in bunches 

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

the Jets' season ended with 53 net yards offense vs Buffalo at home the worst offensive output in franchise history

You mean the week we had Smith, Mims and Tarik black at WR and Dan Feeney at center and McDermott at OT?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

When JD signed D.J. Reed...it was for him to be Jets #1 corner.  Bryce Hall is that solid #2.  Corner is not a big hole to fill anymore.  I like Sauce but it makes more sense to focus on the deeper holes team needs to fill.

So for me...

In any #4-10 order...Edge and WR. 

Rushing the passer represents the engine of a Saleh defense.  Hutch-Thibs-Jermaine Johnson or Travan Walker for edge at #4 or 10...or a trade down.

And...a strong rushing attack is the engine in a Shanahan style WCO...for setting up the passing game.

My hope for a WR pick is London-Wilson or Jameson Williams at #4 or 10...or a trade down.  Zach Wilson only threw 9 TDs.  He needs another WR weapon added to this existing unit.  Corey Davis and Elijah Moore missed a lot of games last year.  Can you depend on Davis to be that go-to receiver? 

Move the chains and set up play action.  Keep Jets defense off the field to be fresh to make plays in 4th Q  Another stud RB like Breece Hall at #34...to complement Carter.  If one gets injured...you've got the other who can be fully featured.  Tevin Coleman should be a good #3 back. 

ZW's development into a FQB should be top priority for this 2022 season.   Confidence can only come from success.  The kind of success that shows Zach tossing 20+ TDs...and putting points on the board.  Giving him the weapons he needs to run the offense and compete against the Nasty Nine.  As in...Josh Allen-Mahomes-Russ Wilson-Herbert-Burrow-DeShaun Watson-Lamarr Jackson-Derek Carr and now Matt Ryan.  They're playing with potent offenses.  You're not going to beat them with a smoke and mirrors offense. 

Give Zach Wilson the necessary tools and see if he can rock 'n roll with them.  If he can't...nothing else will matter.  You can't compete in the stacked AFC without a FQB.  No playoffs or Lombardi Trophies will be on the way soon...if ZW fails.   

And I'm more concerned that Jets may fail ZW...then I am that Zach will fail the Jets.          

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

You mean the week we had Smith, Mims and Tarik black at WR and Dan Feeney at center and McDermott at OT?

• LT = team’s #4 OT
  • LG = rookie 
  • C = backup
  • RG = bleh has-been whose only good point was not being GVR
  • RT = team’s #3 OT
  • WR1 = out
  • WR2 = out
  • WR3 = out
  • WR4 = out
  • WR5 (nominally the WR4) = played half a game?
  • WR6 = caught 1 pass for 2 yards
  • WR7 = dropped 1 of 3
  • WR8 = space cadet the whole season prior, w/more of the same
  • TE1 (such as he was) = out
  • TE2 = was in there…and dropped 2 passes
  • veteran RB (the only one who picked up a free pass rusher all year) = out
  • QB = rookie with no short list of his own troubles that year

That’s the rationalization for the first time in ~20 years he’s called for a high draft pick by need that week.

Yeah, this makes sense lol. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

@JiFapono HaHa. Off platform jump Ball mastery! 

lmfao - as I've said in this thread, give me Sauce and Johnson.  I'm not coming off that unless something crazy happens.

I dont love London but given Wilson's passion for yolo 50/50 balls, I see the appeal. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

You are 100% correct, and we saw this with Revis. As you point out we need a killer pass rush, as opposed to 1 elite cb. It's as if people are dumb or don't pay attention, and just want a sexy pick on the team even though it isn't a shutdown CB dependent scheme on D.

Otoh, an elite CB, that would (hopefully) prevent us from an elite WR wrecking us in a game.  And the likelihood is that if we ever make the playoffs again, that's where we'd be facing a team with an elite WR. 

16 hours ago, bitonti said:

lol - what?  So you're biggest takeaway from last season came in week 18, when 4 of the 5 starting OL where hurt and the starting WR's were Keelan Cole and Jeff Smith?  lol  What about how the offense was the best in the league when Wilson was hurt?  Do you factor that? 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The Jets were heavy on 2 positions.  WR (Hill) and FS (Williams).  

Expect the pick to be Hamilton.  If you aren't pleased with that option, try to make peace with it now.  When it happens you won't be as upset, and if it doesn't, you'll be relieved.

Personally, I'm hoping for a trade back.

• Sympathy 1