The annual Do Not Want thread.....

Beerfish

Who do you not want the Jets to draft, we have this thread each year and in many cases we have been pretty prophetic in wanting to avoid certain players.  (Daron Lee Hackenburg)

Trayvon Walker - People love this guy and his stock soared after the combine,   I do not see a bad player, I see a non difference maker, another Leo, Quinnen etc (even if they are not playing the same position.)  If we are not drafting an ace pass rusher then forget it.

Drake London - Coming off an injury, like Jameson Williams, has not run a 40, does not look fast can't get separation vs pure crap pac 12 competition.  But he makes contested catches cause he's big!

Kyle Hamilton - Glides around the secondary and does not look fast to the ball to me, slow 40, will not get to NFL Qb passes like he did in college. 

Jordan Davis - Will be an excellent run stopper in the pros, would be handicapped by the way the jets play defense and a beastly combine does not auto translate into pass rush.

(There is something I can't put my finger on that bugs me about Chris Olave but he won;t be on this list.)

Now are the guys above terrible players?  No

But they are on my do not want list for the Jets due to where they will have to be drafted.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

(There is something I can't put my finger on that bugs me about Chris Olave but he won;t be on this list.)

Weird because I have the same vibe.  Weirder because I loved him in 2020 when I watched him with Justin Fields throwing to him in those big games.  Somehow he seems softer after this past season.  

I don't agree with the negativity on London yet.  Big WRs kind of boom or bust, but I don't know how to see it before they hit the league.  More than a few guys who didn't seem like sure things came in and dominated.  If he turns out to be Metcalf or Claypool, I'm just fine with drafting him at the 10-spot.  

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Who do you not want the Jets to draft, we have this thread each year and in many cases we have been pretty prophetic in wanting to avoid certain players.  (Daron Lee Hackenburg)

Trayvon Walker - People love this guy and his stock soared after the combine,   I do not see a bad player, I see a non difference maker, another Leo, Quinnen etc (even if they are not playing the same position.)  If we are not drafting an ace pass rusher then forget it.

Drake London - Coming off an injury, like Jameson Williams, has not run a 40, does not look fast can't get separation vs pure crap pac 12 competition.  But he makes contested catches cause he's big!

Kyle Hamilton - Glides around the secondary and does not look fast to the ball to me, slow 40, will not get to NFL Qb passes like he did in college. 

Jordan Davis - Will be an excellent run stopper in the pros, would be handicapped by the way the jets play defense and a beastly combine does not auto translate into pass rush.

Now are the guys above terrible players?  No

But they are on my do not want list for the Jets due to where they will have to be drafted.

Hamilton, Gardner, Neal. No part of any of them.I am starting to get the vibes that they have 2 Edge they would take st #4. If not there, Cross is the pick. If that happens, WR has to be the pick at #10, and think it will be Burks. Think you and I have dropped the gloves on this before, but  I wish Q was as good as Leo.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

Weird because I have the same vibe.  Weirder because I loved him in 2020 when I watched him with Justin Fields throwing to him in those big games.  Somehow he seems softer after this past season.  

I don't agree with the negativity on London yet.  Big WRs kind of boom or bust, but I don't know how to see it before they hit the league.  More than a few guys who didn't seem like sure things came in and dominated.  If he turns out to be Metcalf or Claypool, I'm just fine with drafting him at the 10-spot.  

I loved Olave but then read he was “soft” - not physical.  I’d like him in the second round to play mostly slot where he doesn’t get pressed.

Evan Neal I don’t want. 

jermaine Johnson due to age (24)

15 minutes ago, Lith said:

With great power comes great responsibility.

By starting the annual Do Not Want thread, you have set the wheels in motion, virtually guaranteeing that the Jets will select on if these three players. Hamilton, London, Walker or Davis. One of them will be a Jet.

I could live with Walker or Davis. Maybe even London. Hamilton would be at the top of my list. Along with Derek Stingley.

If you find yourself banned with no good reason on draft night, shortly after we pick Hamilton, just think back to this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

To quote Darth Vader..." Beerfish, I am your father."?

19 minutes ago, Lith said:

Another name I should have added to my list. Trevor Penning. Now, I recognize that I am probably one if the least knowledgeable posters on this site when it comes to evaluating OL play. But watching him during senior bowl week I remember thinking he might be worth a shot in R3 or R4. But now I see people talking about him at 10. I just don’t see it.

Agreed.  Watching the Sr. Bowl the announcers were praising him for being chippy and aggressive because he was throwing guys around.   What they failed to point out was that his technique is horrendous and all he was doing was grabbing and holding guys, almost every rep was a penalty.  

For me, Hamilton and Stingley are big no go’s.  I could live with a lot at 4 and 10 this year since it’s such a muddled mess.   I was liking Ojabo but he’ll have to wait for later rounds.   I have a strong feeling we’ll see a Gardner/London combo come draft night.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Hamilton, Stingley, Karlaftis.  

That said, my do not want list this year is really more based on who and where vs. a strong group of do not want.  Those dudes above are the only strong no thanks at all this year.  Whereas, I don’t want Walker at #4 but could live with it at 10.  Or London, he’s not top 10 but if they somehow via trade back or up ended up with him, I could live with it depending on a few variables. 

Agreed.  Watching the Sr. Bowl the announcers were praising him for being chippy and aggressive because he was throwing guys around.   What they failed to point out was that his technique is horrendous and all he was doing was grabbing and holding guys, almost every rep was a penalty.  

For me, Hamilton and Stingley are big no go’s.  I could live with a lot at 4 and 10 this year since it’s such a muddled mess.   I was liking Ojabo but he’ll have to wait for later rounds.   I have a strong feeling we’ll see a Gardner/London combo come draft night.  

I will be disappointed if one of those top two picks is not an edge. I really hope we go best available edge at 4, and then 10 could be Gardner, London, Wilson. Edge at 4 gives us a lot of possibilities at 10. But as long as I e if them is an edge and the other is not Hamilton, Stingley or Penning and I will be good.

Hamilton and Stingley are my big ones. I’d have trouble with the idea of redshirting a top ten offensive tackle as well.

There are plenty of other things I think would be bad draft decisions - reaches, positions I don’t think the prospects are very good this year. If they’re able to move down a little it’d open up a lot. Barring London answering the speed question I don’t like any of the WR’s at 10 for example and I don’t like a LB at ten either but the same prospects would be fine in the 20’s.

23 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Over the years, I have listed Darron Lee, Hackenburg, and Zach Wilson in this thread only to see the Jets subsequently draft them. I’m not playing this game anymore.

Seriously.  Calvin Pryor was one of my most despised prospects and boom, there he was at pick 18.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Over the years, I have listed Darron Lee, Hackenburg, and Zach Wilson in this thread only to see the Jets subsequently draft them. I’m not playing this game anymore.

Maybe you should try reverse psychology this time. Put the guy you do want, lol.

• Upvote 2

At 4:

Travon Walker (he is an example of why draft picks fail..he is being pushed up beyond all reason because of the combine)

Hamilton (Just do not see generational)

Gardner (Great player but would be a really bad allocation of resources)

Evan Neal seems a poor fit for Jets

Karlaftis, Johnson, any other EDGE not named Hutchinson or Thibs

I am really half sold on Thibs, very boom or bust.

I REALLY hate almost every option at 4 I want us to trade down desparately.

TBH if we have to pick 4 I'd rather just secure the Top WR or draft Icky

• Upvote 1

It’s more of a certain player over others.

I don’t want: 

Johnson over Karlaftis 

Any receiver besides Garrett Wilson over Drake London

Any player over Sauce Gardner

Christian Watson over Perrion Winfrey/ Travis Jones 

Offensive Lineman in the first round

• Upvote 2

Apologies for widening out the brief as I’m sure there’s an annual “who do you really want” thread to come 

NO NO NO

George Karlaftis

Travon Walker

Derek Stingley

Drake London

Any OL with a pick in the top 22

MEH MEH MEH

Kayvon Thibodeaux

Garrett Wilson 

YES YES YES

Aiden Hutchinson

Jermaine Johnson