ACL Recovery

BCJet

Brian Costello posted an article on Jameson Williams today and stated that they likely would have to "wait for him to be ready to play until midseason and make a real impact until next season" and I was curious if that is what people believe to be true.  Doing some quick research - 

Frank Gore tore his ACL in October 2003 and played a full season at Miami in 2004 (197-945-10 TDs).

Bud Dupree tore his ACL last year in early December and did return for Week 1 although he didnt have his first sack until October 24.

Allen Robinson tore his ACL in September 2017 (week 1) and  was able to easily return for 2018 but had a subpar season (55 catches)

I personally was hoping to be able to have Williams able to be able to make an impact by mid season but it does seem like he may struggle to really get back until 2023.

• Upvote 2

Everyone recovers differently but the common aiming point for ACL injuries is 9 months.  He had his surgery in mid January so that would put him back around Mid October.  Whether that means games in Mid October or practice in mid October I’m not quite sure, but I’d say between week 6 and 9 would be pretty reasonable expectation.

That said early March he was ahead of schedule at his 8 week checks, so maybe earlier could be possible.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Cooper Kupp tore his in early November of 18 and played the entire season in 2019.  That’s 10 months.

I found this article/study from a year ago that discusses this very question.  Pasted directly from the conclusion:

Conclusions

Sixty-nine percent of wide receivers who underwent ACL reconstruction were able to RTP at an average of 10.9 months, or 331.4 days. 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2666061X20301723

Return to practice at 11 months, which would be just about the end of the year. 

And what does return to practice mean?  Id want to know when they were back to baseline performance standards-when will he be able to run and cut like he did before the injury?  Thats the player that youre drafting.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Return to practice at 11 months, which would be just about the end of the year. 

And what does return to practice mean?  Id want to know when they were back to baseline performance standards-when will he be able to run and cut like he did before the injury?  Thats the player that youre drafting.

RTP is Return to play which based on the article I believe means playing in a game.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What these athletes always say is that they get back on the field in about a year, but they don’t feel like they’re “back” until two years later. The Jets don’t have that kind of time

If JD takes another guy in the top of round 1 who doesn't contribute, he loses his job. No more mulligans. 

57 minutes ago, Bronx said:

The kid needs immediate help, hard pass.

Yes, I agree.  ZW really does need help now, but I just keep envisioning Williams tearing up the league for whatever team had the patience to draft knowing he could have been a Jet, but we were too short sighted to make the tough call.

I get it, but we're talking about 5 to 10 games over the course of what could be 5 to 10 years.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

You cannot ask the fanbase to wait another year. They have to at least act like they’re trying to compete.

I absolutely get that we're not getting a +.500 season, but no more blowouts. No more 1st quarters (or halves for that matter) without being able to sustain scoring drives. No more hapless, uncoordinated defense. No more excuses. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

What these athletes always say is that they get back on the field in about a year, but they don’t feel like they’re “back” until two years later. The Jets don’t have that kind of time

Why do they not have that kind of time? This year is about setting up 2023 and beyond IMO, the Jets have to many needs at super important positions OL, WR, CB, MLB, IDL, Edge.  Build the 2023 roster for the playoffs, and Jamo (preferably mid teens on a trade back, but I’m fine with him at 10) fits this timeline.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Why do they not have that kind of time? This year is about setting up 2023 and beyond IMO, the Jets have to many needs at super important positions OL, WR, CB, MLB, IDL, Edge.  Build the 2023 roster for the playoffs, and Jamo (preferably mid teens on a trade back, but I’m fine with him at 10) fits this timeline.

I agree I think that for the first time in ages (if not ever under Woody) we have a front office and coaching staff aligned and we can afford to wait if it means Williams starts practicing in week 5 and playing in week 10.  It sucks but if he is the best of the class then 6-7 weeks of a career isnt that important.  

I also think it could create competition in that the other WRs would know they have a guy coming in to take their job and maybe someone like Mims gets his act together with the added pressure.

• Upvote 2

Whether or not Jets should draft them also answers the question on whether this year is another rebuild one or not

I'm still on the fence there. A rebuild shouldn't take 3 seasons before wins start coming in, but the Jets have also had their reputation destroyed after each failed rebuild, making the next one harder. So I don't really know what to say with this.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hex said:

Whether or not Jets should draft them also answers the question on whether this year is another rebuild one or not

I'm still on the fence there. A rebuild shouldn't take 3 seasons before wins start coming in, but the Jets have also had their reputation destroyed after each failed rebuild, making the next one harder. So I don't really know what to say with this.

They can’t get a FA to come here, that has to change and it only changes when players see the team and specifically the QB moving in the right direction, the Jets seem to be but the rest is on ZW if he plays well the FA’s will come next offseason.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

They can’t get a FA to come here, that has to change and it only changes when players see the team and specifically the QB moving in the right direction, the Jets seem to be but the rest is on ZW if he plays well the FA’s will come next offseason.

I disagree.  Signing the "big name FA" rarely works especially with the jets - how did Leveon Bell and Trumaine Johnson work out because they were "big signings".

Good organizations, like baltimore where JD started, dont spend day 1 of free agency.  They have guys they value and use it to fill holes so they can draft the BPA.  That is the plan here and Laken as an aside, Laken was a priority FA

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I agree I think that for the first time in ages (if not ever under Woody) we have a front office and coaching staff aligned and we can afford to wait if it means Williams starts practicing in week 5 and playing in week 10.  It sucks but if he is the best of the class then 6-7 weeks of a career isnt that important.  

I also think it could create competition in that the other WRs would know they have a guy coming in to take their job and maybe someone like Mims gets his act together with the added pressure.

I do think Williams is the best receiver in this draft but the Jets need to start winning some games now and also see what they actually have in Zach. Plus there is going g to be some quality WRs in the second round. Unfortunately I believe we need to pass on him. 

• Sympathy 1

If JD takes another guy in the top of round 1 who doesn't contribute, he loses his job. No more mulligans. 

really? why is that? douglas takes into account the time he needs to recover and still drafts him - so what? you may disagree with the pick but making the pick while understanding the timeframe till he plays effectively shouldn’t cost him his job - under any circumstances but hey call woody and let him in on you sage analysis

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, ncjetman said:

really? why is that? douglas takes into account the time he needs to recover and still drafts him - so what? you may disagree with the pick but making the pick while understanding the timeframe till he plays effectively shouldn’t cost him his job - under any circumstances but hey call woody and let him in on you sage analysis

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

If he comes in and contributes then, no he won't. But if you think he takes the injured guy who for one reason or another, does not contribute while guys like London and Wilson are on their teams doing just that...yeah. He gets fired. GMs cant have that many whiffs. 

Work on your reading comprehension before cracking wise about people's sage advice. 

45 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I disagree.  Signing the "big name FA" rarely works especially with the jets - how did Leveon Bell and Trumaine Johnson work out because they were "big signings".

Good organizations, like baltimore where JD started, dont spend day 1 of free agency.  They have guys they value and use it to fill holes so they can draft the BPA.  That is the plan here and Laken as an aside, Laken was a priority FA

Bad examples, those were guys looking to cash.  I’m talking the guys who take 1 year deals to play with Brady, or the Rams, or Chiefs ect until that happens we won’t be winning any SB’s.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You cannot ask the fanbase to wait another year. They have to at least act like they’re trying to compete.

Tell that to the way they did free agency. They’ll draft for 2+ years out just like the last two years.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I think that’s just really optimistic. The Jets base is already apathetic towards this team, the national media ignores us altogether, we’re far and away the worst team in our division, and our schedule is going to be one buzzsaw after another. If Tyreek Hill is lighting up SportsCenter every week, Mac Jones keeps the Pats ticking along, the Bills continue to dominate and (most perilous of all) Brian Daboll gets the Giants upright early on and they’re stealing the backpages, the heat is going to be on Douglas pretty severely if Zach is still running backwards at the snap. Douglas needs to have a star player that he brought in start to shine ASAP. I don’t think he can afford another redshirt season.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think that’s just really optimistic. The Jets base is already apathetic towards this team, the national media ignores us altogether, we’re far and away the worst team in our division, and our schedule is going to be one buzzsaw after another. If Tyreek Hill is lighting up SportsCenter every week, Mac Jones keeps the Pats ticking along, the Bills continue to dominate and (most perilous of all) Brian Daboll gets the Giants upright early on and they’re stealing the backpages, the heat is going to be on Douglas pretty severely if Zach is still running backwards at the snap. Douglas needs to have a star player that he brought in start to shine ASAP. I don’t think he can afford another redshirt season.

I gotta say if it wasn’t the Jets I’d punch holes in every one of those hypotheticals, but it is the Jets I got nothing your right ? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

Tell that to the way they did free agency. They’ll draft for 2+ years out just like the last two years.

I think they approached free agency and the trade market in a way that was probably more aggressive than the results indicated. It’s just too difficult to reconcile the idea that they were intentionally methodical and patient with the fact that they tried to give Tyreek Hill $90 million dollars.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Jets need their Artemi Panarin to get this rebuild moving faster, unfortunately we got no street cred with FA’s.