Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Karlaftis is going to get 400 pass rush opportunities playing with huge leads next to the monster Chris Smith. Jermaine Johnson is going to be playing a bunch of games where they’re down 10 at the half and John Franklin Myers has already quit trying by October 1st

Exactly. It’s stupid to compare. 

Everybody has different ways to motivate, I had one drill sergeant that used WETSU (we eat this sh*t up) as a saying to motivate; I had another one that put you in the top of the push up position until your arms were shaking while screaming at you the whole time. I’m not sure if one was more effective than the other but I do know which guy was hated more.

Don’t the jets typically pick the wrong guy?

2 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Lol. You have NO idea how they’ll turn out but you’re already upset that jets picked the wrong guy. And that the other guy will turn out to be one of the best. Jesus. Yeah he’s 

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Karlaftis is going to get 400 pass rush opportunities playing with huge leads next to the monster Chris Smith. Jermaine Johnson is going to be playing a bunch of games where they’re down 10 at the half and John Franklin Myers has already quit trying by October 1st

So you admit the Jets are looking good in September?

• 2 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 7:03 AM, JiFields said:

Its weird what people fixate on w/ White.  Bengals fluke, Bills is the real White but there is nothing in between for many people who are adverse to Mike White maybe possibly being good.  As a neutral fan who couldnt give a **** who the QB is, as long as they play well, I find this odd.  There is just as much more evidence that White is better than Wilson as there is that he is not, which is fine to recognize but also acknowledging the fact that this season/team is all about Wilson.

FWIW, and I dont know how many people remember this drive, it seems long forgotten in the context of Mike White but the best drive I saw from any Jets QB all last season, was when Mike White answered the Colts opening drive w/ a quick TD on the next series...and then the most telling part of whole Mike White saga was the entire team running up to him while he was being looked at dying to know if he was getting back in the game.   I havent seen that type of excitement and energy from a Jets offense since Fitz.

Weird how this long goes ignored in the context of White's performance last year.

@T0mShane a lil wakey bakey sexy time? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 8/19/2022 at 7:19 AM, FidelioJet said:

My biggest issues with Mike White is not his performance in the Buffalo game - it that he's now a 5th year pro and basically hasn't been able to pass 3rd string on a depth chart (even on the Jets when he was second - it kinda wasn't real, as soon as Zach got hurt they went and traded for Flacco - White wasn't trusted to fill in).  

Coaches do in fact look at players skill-sets and want to have good ones play.  These guys see him every day and know his capabilities far more than we can from two games.  

What they see is a third string QB.

Moreover, in league circles they talk - no other team was interested in White as their back-up as well.  They could have easily signed him, but chose not to.

Mike White is what he is - a third string NFL QB - that caught lighting in a bottle one week.  

the office netflix GIF

• Haha 2

On 8/19/2022 at 9:18 AM, FidelioJet said:

You win.  The Jets love Mike White as does the rest of the NFL.  It's also clear - even though the Jets said otherwise - they really brought in Joe Flacco, a day after Zach Wilson got hurt, to back up Mike White - but chose to lie to the fan base.

And now for some inexplicable and almost surely nefarious reasons, they have him behind Flacco on the depth chart.  Even though he's really the best QB on the roster.

You Dont Say Angelina Jolie GIF

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, JiFields said:

the office netflix GIF

Bringing up something from August in kinda silly...

But I think I'm actually even proven correct..  The coaches had him as a 3rd string QB up until three weeks ago.

Something changed and they decided he got better - they promoted him.  At that point something was different.  As I stated, coaches watch him every day in practice - whatever he's shown in practice since the beggining of the year (when he was 3rd string) until three weeks ago.  

What that was I don't know - but the coaches must have seen something.

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Speaking as a person who hates every Jets player, I never, ever understood the hatred for Mike White, except as compensation for those looking to protect their “Zach Is/Will Be Great” takes. White is a good dude and a grinder. How can you not root for that?

100%.  These are the types of stories that I live for in sports.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

But I think I'm actually even proven correct..  The coaches had him as a 3rd string QB up until three weeks ago.

Something changed and they decided he got better - they promoted him.  At that point something was different.  As I stated, coaches watch him every day in practice - whatever he's shown in practice since the beggining of the year (when he was 3rd string) until three weeks ago.  

It's not silly, it's completely relevant and fun!  The feeling toward Mike White around here were completely ridiculous and it's fun when these conversation come full circle.  

That said, I'm with ya, not sure what happened w/ the Flacco over White situation.  By far my biggest gripe and why I was ready to hit reset w/ the coaching staff at the beginning of the year, playing Flacco over White made no sense.  Their entire behavior around the QB position has been weird but here we are now and it's exciting! 

4 minutes ago, JiFields said:

It's not silly, it's completely relevant and fun!  The feeling toward Mike White around here were completely ridiculous and it's fun when these conversation come full circle.  

That said, I'm with ya, not sure what happened w/ the Flacco over White situation.  By far my biggest gripe and why I was ready to hit reset w/ the coaching staff at the beginning of the year, playing Flacco over White made no sense.  Their entire behavior around the QB position has been weird but here we are now and it's exciting! 

Fair enough and put that way, I completely agree.

I guess my point was, I couldn't get into the cynical camp (Mike White is 3rd string because they don't want Zach to look bad)  So the only reasonable conclusion I could see was they don't like what they see.  Because we know what Flacco is and not being better than him doesn't bode well for what the coaches think of Mike White.

Something changed - so I'm on the Mike White bandwagon now.

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think @RutgersJetFan’s read on the situation is right: the team has rapidly gotten better to the point that a player like Mike White can thrive in it whereas at the beginning of the season, when it looked like the team was maybe not so good, there wasn’t much need or justification to consider playing White. The context has changed, and Zach played himself out of it. 

Yeah I think it was also seen as piling inexperience on top of inexperience in those early games. Garrett Wilson didn’t even start the season and didn’t get the snaps until he gave them no choice.

With hindsight though it really does feel like White should have played. He’s pretty much the ideal backup, whether that’s his ceiling or not we’ll find out. Flacco was toast years ago.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Yeah I think it was also seen as piling inexperience on top of inexperience in those early games. Garrett Wilson didn’t even start the season and didn’t get the snaps until he gave them no choice.

With hindsight though it really does feel like White should have played. He’s pretty much the ideal backup, whether that’s his ceiling or not we’ll find out. Flacco was toast years ago.

True. We’ve also seen that Zach Wilson is very, very sensitive, and Flacco playing over White helped avoid the awkwardness of White’s popularity upsetting the apple cart. White posed a threat to Zach and the vibes in general, and Saleh is a vibes guy. I don’t care who you are—if your coworkers are chanting for your backup on the day you get benched, and the entire stadium is cheering for that guy in a rainstorm—that’s gonna leave a mark. Flacco is respected well enough, but nobody wants to see him play football in 2022. 

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

True. We’ve also seen that Zach Wilson is very, very sensitive, and Flacco playing over White helped avoid the awkwardness of White’s popularity upsetting the apple cart. White posed a threat to Zach and the vibes in general, and Saleh is a vibes guy. I don’t care who you are—if your coworkers are chanting for your backup on the day you get benched, and the entire stadium is cheering for that guy in a rainstorm—that’s gonna leave a mark. Flacco is respected well enough, but nobody wants to see him play football in 2022. 

Especially his kids! Everyone of them asking for a Mike White jersey for Christmas. 

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

I wonder how much the coddling of Wilson affected how the CS handled White. Seemed odd that after one bad game they tried to erase him. In his first 4 starts, he's played 2 of the best games we've seen in years.

It’s 100% this.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Keyshawn said on his show this morning that the Coaches and Front office knew White was the better option but buried him in a spot where he couldn't upstage Wilson and take his job bc the front office would have egg on their face. So they started Flacco instead of White and kept him inactive. They made the switch afew weeks back bc they realized Wilson wasn't going to develop and knew White was ready to take over. Take that fwiw but it does make sense. 

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Keyshawn said on his show this morning that the Coaches and Front office knew White was the better option but buried him in a spot where he couldn't upstage Wilson and take his job bc the front office would have egg on their face. So they started Flacco instead of White and kept him inactive. They made the switch afew weeks back bc they realized Wilson wasn't going to develop and knew White was ready to take over. Take that fwiw but it does make sense. 

Yeah, it's interesting and def. not a good look for the Jets front office.  

As I mentioned, I just couldn't buy into that cynical approach.  But it sure does seem like once they started to sour on Zach (that he just wasn't getting better) White was promoted - knowing they might have to bench Zach.

I don't love a front office that would purposely bury the better back up - but I must admit that it's definitely possible that's what happened. 

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think @RutgersJetFan’s read on the situation is right: the team has rapidly gotten better to the point that a player like Mike White can thrive in it whereas at the beginning of the season, when it looked like the team was maybe not so good, there wasn’t much need or justification to consider playing White. The context has changed, and Zach played himself out of it. 

After yesterday it looks like it was equally about losing the locker room completely. Hard to ignore the energy of everything yesterday. Moore breaking out definitely makes Wilson look like a pretty big douchebag.

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2022 at 5:23 PM, T0mShane said:

I will make a bet with you, my friend. I will wager $50 to St Jude’s that Ickey Ekwonu puts up a better pass blocking grade on PFF than Sauce Gardner puts in coverage grade. Looking at some recent prospects at both positions, it appears that a number near 70 in either category is pretty good, so it’s apples to apples. 

Shout out to @derp. Every year I get into draft debates with him, and every year he kicks the piss out of me. I thought we should draft Ekwonu because we weren’t going anywhere without elite OL play (and Becton was being horsesh*t, as usual). I did not foresee Gardner being an elite CB in year one, much less the best corner in football. I have made good on my bet, my friend, and I look forward to you kicking my ass again in the draft forum. Cheers! 

4D1B4A44-0BD7-4D6B-81CF-AEEA605C996E.jpeg

• Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 2

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Shout out to @derp. Every year I get into draft debates with him, and every year he kicks the piss out of me. I thought we should draft Ekwonu because we weren’t going anywhere without elite OL play (and Becton was being horsesh*t, as usual). I did not foresee Gardner being an elite CB in year one, much less the best corner in football. I have made good on my bet, my friend, and I look forward to you kicking my ass again in the draft forum. Cheers! 

4D1B4A44-0BD7-4D6B-81CF-AEEA605C996E.jpeg

Bet was an absolute no loss proposition, wonderful cause, I look forward to debates this year!