Zach Wilson can’t throw short narrative debunked

Zach Wilson was a top 5 rated QB in passes between 0-9 yards in the final 4 games of the season.  

He played 12 - so the last 3rd of HIS season he was right up there with the best in the NFL.   I posted this elsewhere but think it’s worthy of its own thread because it seems to such a major talking point.   
It certainly doesn’t mean he’ll be good this year but it surely shows he’s capable  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Zach Wilson was a top 5 rated QB in passes between 0-9 yards in the final 4 games of the season.  

He played 12 - so the last 3rd of HIS season he was right up there with the best in the NFL.   I posted this elsewhere but think it’s worthy of its own thread because it seems to such a major talking point.   
It certainly doesn’t mean he’ll be good this year but it surely shows he’s capable  

nice.  I wonder what Zach's stats would have been like last year if the first NE game was discounted.  I know, I know:  the game happened blah blah blah.  But that was such an AWFUL game.  i wonder where if his 16-game season stats put him?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Context: Zach Wilson competed 26 passes combined in his last two games. 13 of those completions went to Braxton Berrios.

Couldn’t wait for your reply.  Tried to guess what the excuse for him playing well would be.  

My guess was correct btw.   Not the BB part (as him being his #1 wr makes this even more impressive) but the overall numbers. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Couldn’t wait for your reply.  Tried to guess what the excuse for him playing well would be.  

My guess was correct btw.  

You guessed that his 34th-ranked completion percentage on passes from 0-9 yards improved in the last four games because he was targeting Braxton Berrios a lot?

3 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Context: all of the top receivers were injured, who else was he going to throw it to?

Not the argument. Berrios played more, he has an average depth of target of 5.4 yards, and Zach threw it to him a lot in two of the last four games, which skewed the numbers Fidelio is peddling.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Not the argument. Berrios played more, he has an average depth of target of 5.4 yards, and Zach threw it to him a lot in two of the last four games, which skewed the numbers Fidelio is peddling.

The whole point is all I’ve been hearing all week was he can’t throw the ball five yards accurately.   This just shows he can and at a high level.  

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Hopefully I get this out first lol.....

What is the argument then?  Cause I thought the original post was about the false short throw narrative... so what does ZW ability to be accurate in short throws have to do with berrios depth average? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The whole point is all I’ve been hearing all week was he can’t throw the ball five yards accurately.   This just shows he can and at a high level.  

Please look at his overall stats from those last four games and tell me about his high-level passing, friend. By far his best game of the season came against Tampa and he completed 58% of his passes for 234 yards and a TD. Against Miami, 57%, 170 yards. Against Jacksonville, 64% for 102 yards. Against the Bills: 35%, 87 yards. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PorP said:

Hopefully I get this out first lol.....

What is the argument then?  Cause I thought the original post was about the false short throw narrative... so what does ZW ability to be accurate in short throws have to do with berrios depth average? 

He didn’t have a lot of weapons in his last four, so he dumped it off to Berrios a lot. Which is fine! It’s not indicative of an overall upswing in his accuracy.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Drums said:

To be honest I am sick of the "from week x to week x" stats especially the end of the year when we witnessed Darnold, Geno, etc. all put up hopeful numbers over their last four games then suck to start the next year. When it happens week 1, 2, etc and is built off of that end of the year performance, is when narratives change.

Sure. He’ll need to prove this week in and week out.   But this does show he’s capable of being successful in the short passing game.   Does not mean at all he’ll carry it over - bit it’s been justifiable concern with him - this is just a nice to see. Nothing more.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Zach sucked last year.   On the passes Zach completed his completion percentage was 100. 

The kid doesn’t need excuses for his poor play last year.  He knows he sucked and he’s working hard to stop sucking.    He needs to be much better.   

Fortunately he has a lot of arm talent and athleticism. He works hard and wants to be great.  If he’s lucky enough to develop a real feel for the pro game and process quickly he might be great.  TBD…

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Zach sucked last year.   On the passes Zach completed his completion percentage was 100. 

The kid doesn’t need excuses for his poor play last year.  He knows he sucked and he’s working hard to stop sucking.    He needs to be much better.   

Fortunately he has a lot of arm talent and athleticism. He works hard and wants to be great.  If he’s lucky enough to develop a real feel for the pro game and process quickly he might be great.  TBD…

Wow did you miss the point of the thread.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He didn’t have a lot of weapons in his last four, so he dumped it off to Berrios a lot. Which is fine! It’s not indicative of an overall upswing in his accuracy.

But he did so on those short throws with efficiency... regardless of the targets name.  And the thread was about debunking his ability to throw short. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Sure. He’ll need to prove this week in and week out.   But this does show he’s capable of being successful in the short passing game.   Does not mean at all he’ll carry it over - bit it’s been justifiable concern with him - this is just a nice to see. Nothing more.  

To that, I agree. I saw his dirt balls  as more mental than anything else but it was SUPER frustrating. Deal breaker frustrating. And as one poster here that has a little extra insight has said,  he put in a lot of hours after practice working on those throws so maybe that's why it got a bit better toward the end of the year but he's gotta make those throws consistently to the point where we don't have to pull stats to prove anything because no one even talks about it anymore

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Context: Zach Wilson competed 26 passes combined in his last two games. 13 of those completions went to Braxton Berrios.

Further context: Berrios played only one of those games. The final week, he was throwing too Mims, Cole, Smith & Black. The prior week it was Berrios Smith & Cole. 

And Berrios only had 8 catches

• Upvote 2